Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival

Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Author
catherine s
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 06:38:17 (permalink)
Thank you for taking us along on your road trip.  I really looked forward to reading and viewing each segment.  Cannot wait til the next report by you and other roadfooders who can travel let us enjoy your roadfood trip.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5077
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 09:18:20 (permalink)
nocarolina

Here's the Cannel City School, which my mother attended during the Depression years. Cannel is a grade of coal that at one time was abundant in the valley.

Why are the windows and doors bricked in?  Is the building now used as a warehouse or something similar?

nocarolina

A five-way and two cheese coneys, along with a couple of cups of gas station coffee, fueled me up for the final 275 miles of my "epic" journey.

You certainly didn't need to stop for gas...

Brad
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 15:53:20 (permalink)
I'm not really sure why the windows and doors are bricked up, but I'm gonna take a guess. In recent years, the population of Caney Valley has dropped somewhat due to a lot of the young folks leaving for the big city instead of sticking around to farm the land like their parents and grandparents did. It's possible that the school's enrollment is so low that they simply don't need that much space anymore. Just a theory, and probably a lousy one...  

6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 21:27:19 (permalink)
In a lot of the older elementary schools in Peoria and surrounding towns, the windows have been partially or wholly bricked up or covered up with insulating board as an energy saving measure.  The old windows were usually huge for natural lighting, but were not double (or triple) paned and had no storm windows on them, causing a tremendous loss of heat during the winter.  The school boards felt it was cheaper to permanently lessen or eliminate completely the window area, rather than re-glaze all those large windows with more energy-efficient glass.  (Plus, it removed one more excuse for the kids to be distracted from their lessons by anything happening outside.)  After all, there were very few classrooms in the area that were able to be completely lit by sunlight from those old windows during enough of the school year to save any electricity that way.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4236
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 23:29:34 (permalink)
Bob, I finally had a good stretch of time where I could sit down and focus on your report.  I can't promise that I read every word, but I did enjoy your photos and food reports.  You set a high standard for trip reports that I wish I had the time and will power to match.  Maybe I'll get around to posting our recent New Orleans trip one of these days.  I know there will be some portions of that trip that you will appreciate.

Just a quick note about Ale 8-1 that you and others might or might not be familiar with.  The name of the product is a little play on words, meant to be read "A late one".  You see, Ale 8-1 is loaded with caffeine.  It is meant to be a happy pick me up for college students needing some extra energy as they cram for their exams.  So, if you're going to have a late one, you might want to have Ale 8-1!

Thanks for your wonderful report. You manage to cram a whole lot of livin' into a short amount of time!

Buddy
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/17 23:52:57 (permalink)
Yes it was a great report. Thanks a lot.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/25 23:29:39 (permalink)
Many thanks to everyone for the many nice comments regarding my unauthorized sequel to "War and Peace".  This post is a week overdue as I have been offline for the past seven days, thanks to an AT&T employee who apparently doesn't know how to read a work order ( he/she disconnected my Internet connection last Wednesday instead of next Monday, which is moving day for me. ) It took numerous phone calls to I-don't-know how many AT&T staffers over the past week before they finally got me back on line a couple of hours ago. Methinks that it's time to look for a new Internet provider. Anyway, I really appreciate all the kind words, but I really don't know if I'm going to be doing any more trip reports of this magnitude; this one took roughly a month to do, and frankly, I'm pooped! My upcoming Texas / South Carolina roadtrip in February is going to be a thirteen day / sixteen state odyssey, and I don't know if I have the stamina ( or degree of lunacy ) necessary to do one of my "mega-reports" on a journey of that length. A bigger question: does anyone want to read one that long?
post edited by nocarolina - 2010/01/09 00:49:25
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/25 23:51:56 (permalink)
Yes, please bring it on!  I definitely prefer your unauthorized sequel to the original.  (Especially, since no book report is required.) 
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 08:10:48 (permalink)
nocarolina

Many thanks to everyone for the many nice comments regarding my unauthorized sequel to "War and Peace".

More like "Road to Tradition"....thanks again to you...it was enjoyable the entire way.

6star
Yes, please bring it on!  I definitely prefer your unauthorized sequel to the original.  (Especially, since no book report is required.) 

Agreed....I think we'll take whatever you'll throw our way. You could maybe put a self imposed restriction on photos per day or something so you don't work yourself to death. Either way...we love it. (P.S. Have a great Thanksgiving!)

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 09:29:04 (permalink)
Thanks, ETR. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else out there in the wonderful world of Roadfood!  
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 12:45:17 (permalink)
nocarolina

A bigger question: does anyone want to read one that long?

Me!  I very much enjoyed this one.

Shara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 13:11:50 (permalink)
nocarolina

Thanks, ETR. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else out there in the wonderful world of Roadfood!  

It was a wonderful trip report, and very relevant for me because my husband and I are moving to western NC this coming summer. I've lurked here for years but never posted a trip report, but maybe yours has inspired me to do a mammouth one myself. We have two trips to NC coming up, both starting in Maine and both including a side trip to the Philadelphia area to visit family. That's a lotta roadfood.

In fact if you don't mind, I'd love to hear what alternate "blue highway" roads you took in NC (and how you choose them). We've gotten directions on mapquest, but I'd like to do at least some of the drive on alternate routes that go through small towns. That's where all the good eats are!

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 15:31:41 (permalink)
Boy, you folks don't realize what kind of Pandora's box that you're opening by encouraging me to do a trip report on my upcoming journey. As I said, it's going to be at least a thirteen day trip covering sixteen states, and I've already put together a list of approximately thirty-five Roadfood-reviewed restaurants that I plan to hit, almost all of them first-timers for me. As lethargic and lazy as I am, such a trip report would probably take me six to eight weeks to finish. Hey, I just realized... it would be the Roadfood equivalent of an old Republic serial from the 1940s ( Mysterious Doctor Satan, Radar Men from the Moon, etc. ) Eight chapters, one each week ( but you've gotta bring your own popcorn. )
post edited by nocarolina - 2010/01/19 22:32:22
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/26 18:05:12 (permalink)
nocarolina, I must confess that at one time I found your reports to be short of food, but I have really grown to enjoy the through-the-windshield road views.  They make me feal like I'm in the car with you, driving along the highways and byways, which is a real part of Roadfooding.

Keep it up.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/11/27 00:24:16 (permalink)
Shara, as soon as I get a chance, I'll look over my photos and videos from past North Carolina trips in order to remind myself of the various "blue highways" that I've driven in NC, and I'll post about some of them in the near future. There have been so many since I first started making these twice a year trips back in the mid '70s that I have to depend on visual aids to clear up my rather fuzzy memories. As to how I pick the roads that I travel, my preference is always well-maintained two lane US and state highways, and the more hilly and winding they are, the better. Another plus is when there's lots of small towns to visit on the route. Despite being a lifelong Chicagoan, I've loved small towns and their slower pace ever since I was a kid.  
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/12/07 17:43:50 (permalink)
jimcfs1 Another "roadfood" type place in Wytheville is Ocean Bay Seafood just past that GoMart, across from K-Mart and Applebees.  (Sorry, they don't have a website.)
Usually a Google or Yahoo search will get you to a review. Yahoo posts reviews by users rather than in and of itself, which is why I suggested that option.

Big Ugly Mich
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/12/07 18:00:06 (permalink)
Brad_Olson Looks like Mt. Airy has lost some of its small-town charm...
That sort of thing can happen anywhere. One obvious roadfood destination, New Orleans, is rife with it, as is Chicago, one of my favorite destinations, even though I'm a Packer fan. Let's not let it keep us off the road, but let's be aware and cautious and live to post pictures of all the neat stuff.

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/12/07 18:03:33 (permalink)
Big Ugly Mich

jimcfs1 Another "roadfood" type place in Wytheville is Ocean Bay Seafood just past that GoMart, across from K-Mart and Applebees.  (Sorry, they don't have a website.)
Usually a Google or Yahoo search will get you to a review. Yahoo posts reviews by users rather than in and of itself, which is why I suggested that option.

Doesn't have the best reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.co...theville_Virginia.html
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3722980206
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Wytheville+Ocean+Bay+Seafood
Big Ugly Mich
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/12/07 18:08:19 (permalink)
nocarolina but my Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS ( free plug ) never ceases to amaze me.
My Sony never ceases to anger me when I price memory, since it uses Memory Sticks, which is just an excuse to charge suckers like me and Big Beautiful Mich twice as much as the rest of you. The rest of you may want to consider a high speed card for a picture op like this. http://www.tomshardware.c...-memory-card,2143.html

ALRUI
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2009/12/07 18:23:40 (permalink)
Shara

nocarolina

It was a wonderful trip report, and very relevant for me because my husband and I are moving to western NC this coming summer. I've lurked here for years but never posted a trip report, but maybe yours has inspired me to do a mammouth one myself. We have two trips to NC coming up, both starting in Maine and both including a side trip to the Philadelphia area to visit family. That's a lotta roadfood.

In fact if you don't mind, I'd love to hear what alternate "blue highway" roads you took in NC (and how you choose them). We've gotten directions on mapquest, but I'd like to do at least some of the drive on alternate routes that go through small towns. That's where all the good eats are!

Where bouts in Western NC? Unfortunately good food is few and far between here, if you know of something I may have missed please advise:-)
Big Ugly Mich
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2010/03/01 19:38:16 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2635
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2010/03/05 23:12:33 (permalink)
C B - I'm curious after seeing that picture.  Did your Grandpa ever go shootin' at some food, then load up the truck and move to Beverly?
mef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2010/04/07 13:52:42 (permalink)
I'm coming in awfully late to this discussion, but had to post when I saw the comments about Jerrico (I had surfed in looking for Dairy Cheer - Home of the Smashburger).

Jerrico used to also own a chain called Lott's Prize Sandwich Shop -- so shortlived and puny that I don't even get any hits when I Google it, unless I'm spelling it wrong (but I did try both Shop and Shoppe, both Lott's and Lotte's).

I'm sure they did, though, because I worked for a couple of years at the Lott's in Lexington KY, a true road-food site as it was right off I-75 and I-64.  Sandwiches, burgers, Lott's Taters (tater tots), cooked breakfasts with eggs and bacon and all, hot open-faced turkey or roast beef sandwiches, hot dogs, coleslaw, and all of it pretty darned low-grade -- except possibly the ice cream.

Freight trains would come through and stop so that the guys at end engine end could eat at Jerry's while the guys at the caboose end ate at Lott's.  On their way back through town, they did it the other way around.  And early in the morning we got jockeys, the only customers who tipped.

Anybody else remember Lott's?
mef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival 2010/04/07 14:11:43 (permalink)
Darn -- Sorry, I can't figure out this interface, how I can make my comment appear under the Dairy Cheer/Jerry's/Jerrico thread.  Sigh.  Apologies.
Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1