The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 18, messages 31 to 60 of 534
Louis

• Total Posts: 713
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 10/22/09 9:17 AM (permalink)
As always, Bob, your pictures are great!  I didn't know there was a Skyline Chili in Indianapolis.  I'll have to check that out.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
    Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 10/22/09 10:05 AM (permalink)
    nocarolina

This is downtown Rushville IN, where US 52 turns in a southernly direction. Rushville is the hometown of beloved Chicago children's TV host, the late Frazier Thomas ( Garfield Goose and Friends, Bozo's Circus. )

This intersection looks familiar...this past summer I went through it NB on 3 and 2 years ago it was EB on 44.  But I have never actually stopped in Rushville.

Indiana's not a bad state to drive through.  It'd be nice if the speed limit was higher, though...at least for me, not everybody.

Brad

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
      Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:03 AM (permalink)
      From downtown Cincinnati eastward to Portsmouth OH, US 52 runs more or less parallel to the Ohio River and is part of the Ohio River Scenic Byway. Here along Cincy's riverfront, 52 passes under the historic Roebling Suspension Bridge. More about this structure during the "heading for home" segment of this trip report ( roughly 25 or 30 pages from now. )
      <message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 10/23/09 12:06 AM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:19 AM (permalink)
        For years I've been curious about the dead-end side street in this photo. It runs, on an uphill grade, for less than a half a block before ending abruptly, and there's no room for a building on either side. Which begs the question: why does this street exist? Every time that I travel this route, I find myself pondering this. Yeah, I know... I need to find something of more importance to occupy my little brain.
        <message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 10/23/09 10:57 AM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:29 AM (permalink)
          This is the main street of New Richmond OH, a small riverfront town about fifteen miles southeast of Cincinnati.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:48 AM (permalink)
            Point Pleasant is the next town along the river. It's the birthplace of President Ulysses S. Grant; the house that he was born in has been preserved as a historical site.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:53 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:56 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 12:59 AM (permalink)

ScreamingChicken

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 9:03 AM (permalink)
                    nocarolina

For years I've been curious about the dead-end side street in this photo. It runs, on an uphill grade, for less than a half a block before ending abruptly, and there's no room for a building on either side. Which begs the question: why does this street exist? Every time that I travel this route, I find myself pondering this. Yeah, I know... I've got to find something of more importance to occupy my little brain.

What would Robert Frost do?

If you can locate it on a map I'll bet someone in city operations could tell you and maybe even provide an old photo.  My guess is that it was the original road but at some time the route was relocated to the right and regraded.

I notice things like that, too.  Any time I see a sign for "Old <something> Road" (like "Old OO", "Old D" and "Old US-63" in NW WI, for example) I'm strongly tempted to see where they lead, although in this case it's pretty obvious!

Brad

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 10:53 AM (permalink)
                      Brad, I don't mean to scare you, my friend, but you think a lot like I do ( don't panic... they have pills for things like that. )  Seriously, being a passionate "roadologist", I'm always intrigued by the numerous stretches of abandoned two-lane highway that I see in my travels; many of them, much like that one in Cincy, are only a few hundred yards long and end rather abruptly. There's a number of them on US 52 heading down to NC, as that highway has been relocated in quite a few spots in recent years, especially in West Virginia. Maybe I should start a photo journal of all the ones that I stumble across ( and then again, maybe not... )  
                      <message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 10/23/09 11:28 AM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 9:44 PM (permalink)
                        Further east along the river is Ripley OH. This town has a notable place in American history; it was a major "station" along the so-called Underground Railroad that escaped slaves in the South used to reach freedom in the northern states during the first half of the nineteenth century. The Reverend John Rankin, a prominent abolitionist of the period, lived in Ripley and aided in the escape of nearly two thousand slaves.
                                        www.ripleyohio.net/htm/rankin.htm     

<message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 10/23/09 9:46 PM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 10:04 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 10:14 PM (permalink)
                            In Aberdeen, US Highways 62 and 68 cross over the Ohio River on the Simon Kenton Bridge, which takes them into historic Maysville KY. We'll take a short tour of Maysville on the way home from NC...

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Fri, 10/23/09 10:38 PM (permalink)
                              It was almost 9 PM when I finally arrived in Huntington WV, where I had a room waiting for me at the Red Roof Inn. As I hadn't eaten since back in Indianapolis, I was really hungry, so I headed for my favorite place to eat in Huntington, the Roadfood-reviewed Stewart's Original Hot Dogs on 5th Avenue. The Mandt family has been running this great little stand since the early '30s. I ordered my usual, a BBQ pork sandwich with slaw and a mug of root beer, plus a chili-slaw dog with mustard and onions ( traditional West Virginia-style. ) Everything was delicious, and the meal's low price didn't hurt my tight travel budget at all.  
                              <message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 10/23/09 10:40 PM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sat, 10/24/09 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                The next morning ( Wed., Sept. 23rd ), I awoke to a pleasant, sunny day; quite a difference from the weather that I encountered enroute to Mount Airy back in May. A good breakfast is always a must before hitting the road, so I headed over to my usual breakfast spot in Huntington, Tudor's Biscuit World.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sat, 10/24/09 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                  Tudor's Biscuit World is a small ( approx. fifty locations ) fast food chain that specializes in breakfast. In fact, all TBWs close at 2:00 PM, right after serving lunch; the similar Biscuitville chain in North Carolina keeps the same hours. Most of Tudor's outlets are located in the southern half of West Virginia, but there are a few in Ohio and Kentucky.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sat, 10/24/09 5:37 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sat, 10/24/09 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                      Being that it's a fast food chain, the food at Tudor's is, of course, not in the same league as that of a good roadfood-type restaurant, but it's still tasty and hearty fare; I can't remember ever having a disappointing breakfast there. One of the things that I especially like about TBW is that they have fried apples available. That's a favorite dish of mine that you don't see on too many breakfast menus.     www.tudorsbiscuits.com  
                                      <message edited by nocarolina on Sun, 10/25/09 2:15 AM>

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                                        Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sat, 10/24/09 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                        I can almost smell that breakfast...mmm. For a "fast food" place that looks half decent. I like the milk carton in the background. How was the biscuit?

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sun, 10/25/09 3:57 AM (permalink)
                                          ETR, the biscuits at Tudor's are okay, but, IMO, the best fast food biscuits are the made-from-scratch ones at Hardee's, with those at Biscuitville a very close second. The biscuits at McDonald's and Burger King are passable at best, and the ones at KFC are simply inedible.  
                                          <message edited by nocarolina on Mon, 10/26/09 4:37 PM>

jimcfs1

• Total Posts: 71
                                            Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sun, 10/25/09 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                            nocarolina

ETR, the biscuits at Tudor's are okay, but, IMO, the best fast food biscuits are the made-from scratch ones at Hardee's, with those at Biscuitville a very close second. The biscuits at McDonald's and Burger King are passable at best, and the ones at KFC are simply inedible.  

It's been too long  (almost 20 years since I lived in Durham) since I've had Biscuitville, but I will concur about Hardee's.  Nothing else comes close to their biscuits to me.  I will go out of my way if I have a need for a biscuit to get theirs.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                              Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sun, 10/25/09 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                              You know, I would throw Chick-Fil-A in there, at least close to Hardee's if not surpassing them in some places.  CFA's biscuits tend to be lighter and not as greasy as Hardee's.  Bojangles also makes some good biscuits.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Sun, 10/25/09 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                                I've never had a Chick-Fil-A biscuit, but I have had one from Bojangles; it was part of a very disappointing meal that I had during this NC trip.   
                                                <message edited by nocarolina on Sun, 10/25/09 1:38 PM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 1:10 AM (permalink)
                                                  After breakfast, I passed through downtown Huntington before heading into the mountains of southern West Virginia.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 1:15 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      Many years ago, the owners of this tobacco warehouse on Huntington's south side had their building painted to resemble one of the famous Mail Pouch Tobacco barns that at one time blanketed much of the eastern part of the country. Most likely the work was done by the late Harley Warrick, who gained considerable fame in recent decades as the last of the Mail Pouch barn artists.
                                                      <message edited by nocarolina on Mon, 10/26/09 1:37 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                        Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                                        Bob, do you know if Harley Warrick ever did work in southern Wisconsin?  There's a tobacco warehouse near me with a similar Mail Pouch paint job.

Brad

carolina bob

• Location: Chicagoland
                                                          Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          Brad, I just looked at the Wikipedia page on Mail Pouch barns, and Wisconsin is included in the list of MP barn states, so I'd say that there's a very good chance that Harley Warrick is responsible for that warehouse's paint job. Mail Pouch's barn-painting program ended in 1992, the same year that Warrick retired; he died in 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Pouch_Tobacco_Barn 
                                                          <message edited by nocarolina on Thu, 10/29/09 12:02 AM>

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                            Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Mon, 10/26/09 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            chili-slaw dog with mustard and onions

I thought you hated mustard???!?!?!?!?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 18, messages 31 to 60 of 534

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com