Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/09/18 12:08:48 (permalink)

Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area

On Monday, Sept. 15th I got to "meat up" with Roadfood.com'er
"ACER 2X" for some deli at MR. BILL'S CONEY ISLAND DELI, WINSLOW, NJ
It is right off the Atlantic City Expressway, Exit 31, halfway between AC and Philly...

The storefront may look modest, but it's done up nice inside
If you look closely, you can see the owner Joe Radano inside.
He was extremely nice and accomodating to us..
(he did start worrying a litte that I was a prospective pastrami competitor, cause I asked a good handful of questions!)

It was my first time "meating" ACER 2X (Steve)

There were no combo sandwiches on the menu, but they said they would let us do them cause it was slow.
Here's my half PASTRAMI, half BRISKET ($10.50)

Pastrami brand they use is VIENNA.... tasty, but no match for the CARNEGIE deli , or HAROLD'S in Edison...
Still, probably about the best you'll find in south Jersey..

BRISKET: homemade....it was good, but a TAD DRY "could've been a contender" is my verdict.. Steve agreed about the brisket dryness, when I gave him some of it... still good, espescially after putting cole slaw and russian dressing on it... it was the real thing, not processed!

Here's Steve's half CORNED BEEF , half PASTRAMI

We both agreed that the corned beef was the real WINNER!
They use GINSBURG brand from NY, and the owner said "they cook it right in their deli"

I love their CONEY ISLAND pics on the wall!

MORE PICS COMING!

25 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:15:48 (permalink)
    Type faster, Ellen!
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:17:01 (permalink)
    IBID
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:21:16 (permalink)
    Love to see the Dr. Brown's there. Glad its not Cel-Ray
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:23:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by braunsteinm

IBID

You got me there; what's IBID?
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:26:25 (permalink)
    it means same as above, like "ditto"
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:27:29 (permalink)
    I don't know if I would want to order a Steak from a place that spells Steak, "Steakes" on their front sign!
    numbwall
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:32:22 (permalink)
    IBID means that he is agreeing with the above most... i.e. "type faster ellen"
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:48:14 (permalink)
    I thought it was related to poker: "I bid....."
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 12:49:46 (permalink)
    Nice report and photos, Ellen! Just from looking at the pix, the brisket looks like the least inspiring of the meats.

Have you ever found any restaurant brisket outside of Texas that you thought was great?
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 13:56:26 (permalink)
    STEAKES ???

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 21:09:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Have you ever found any restaurant brisket outside of Texas that you thought was great?

So far, just at the Hill Country BBQ in NYC.(an Austin inspired place
    (but I'm starting to find it more inconsistent lately) (such as the moist brisket being way too fatty, and the lean being much too overcooked/dried out, etc)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 21:20:19 (permalink)
    I went back for ROUND 2 ! (hungry or not!)
    A CORNED BEEF REUBEN with a side order of HOMEMADE POTATO CHIPS !! I got both in a take out container.

Steve helped me eat the chips, (they were heavenly) , and most of the sandwich I took home with me..
    (it made a great breakfast for me before work the next day!!)

Note the extra THICK RYE BREAD! It's the same thick style they use at the Famous 4th St. Deli in Philly, (owned by Russ Cowan, who formerly owned this Mr. Bills place for a short time, before "flipping" it over to Joe Radano) (but Russ does'nt JUST flip delis; he stayed on for 3 months to teach Joe all the ropes) Russ also used to own the Kibbutz deli in Cherry Hill, Philly, and the (RIP) location in Ocean City, NJ.

I don't personally care for the extra thick rye bread with the sandwich... it makes it even harder to eat the sandwich. (I'm not opposed to thick rye bread, but I'd rather have it with BUTTER, for instance
    The bread was'nt stale, but it was'nt super fresh, either; it was just "okay"...

Here's the view of Mr. Bills looking south on Rt 73

453 Route 73 South, Winslow, NJ....(it's only about a mile north from Exit #31E off the AC Expressway....)

It's about 25 miles from my AC area ....Mr. Bills is located about 3 miles from the town of Hammonton, which is heavy on pizza and Italian food places.... Hammonton is known for their yearly Blueberry Festival.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/18 22:25:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

I don't know if I would want to order a Steak from a place that spells Steak, "Steakes" on their front sign!

Wow, that's quite a TYPO! The place is about 50 years old, (although it's only been this Mr. Bills for a year and a half) And it looks like that TYPO'S been up there for all those 50 years !
    (I guess they somehow just never got around to fixing it, LOL !)
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/09/19 08:00:12 (permalink)
    It was a pleasure to "meat" Ellen, the author of this report and a true "Roadfood insider."

The owner told us that August was his busiest month. The location of Mr. Bill's is quite unusual for this type of place.The summer traffic on the AC Xway to and from Philly and the NJ shore must have stopped by for a "nosh." There were some favorable reviews in the local press but they are not online now. It's not really a deli but serves all the traditional deli fare plus a few highly creative items. Take a look at the menu and you'll see the " Pastrami cheese steak." This is a big seller according to the owner. It's basically a hot pastrami with melted cheese on a hoagie(Italian) roll. I didn't want to go there so I stayed traditional. If I'm in the neighborhood again, I might try the "Chinese roast pork" or one of the "Ruebens" as Ellen's looked really good. The home made chips were a surprise treat. As Ellen stated, the corned beef was the winner of the day but the pastrami was pretty good. The brisket could have been a little more fatty or made with some garlic or onions to give it some taste. I prefer the more thinly sliced bread that most of the Philly delis serve. The "old line" Philly delis ( Hymie's, Murray's, Jack's, Ben & Irv's or even the new Pumpernick's) could learn a lesson from Russ Cowan and his progeny by slicing their corned beef and pastrami thicker.
    There is a counter with baked goods and pastries of enormous size similar to Harold's in Edison, NJ. I think Ellen took a pic of the 2 pound eclairs and supersized layer cakes. The Black/White cookie was the largest I've ever seen. I was tempted but didn't indulge as I'm trying to control carbs. There is an ice cream window as well. Mr. Bill's claims to serve the only "Cannoli" flavored ice cream. Maybe next time.
    If you're in the neighborhood, stop by. It's worth a visit.

ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/10 12:45:17 (permalink)
    I have been past this place hundreds of times, but never stopped in. The food looks good but $11.25 for a corned beef special seems rather steep to me.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/10 13:53:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

Here's the view of Mr. Bills looking south on Rt 73

The giant statue is known as a[url='http://www.roadsideamerica.com/muffler/index.html']"Muffler Man"[/url].

Brad
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/10 14:32:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson
    The giant statue is known as a[url='http://www.roadsideamerica.com/muffler/index.html']"Muffler Man"[/url].

Brad

This one looks a lot like Alfred E. Newman!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/10 14:45:43 (permalink)
    Sre does...but...what me worry!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/10 22:07:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChrisOC

I have been past this place hundreds of times, but never stopped in. The food looks good but $11.25 for a corned beef special seems rather steep to me.

It's WORTH IT, though.... it's a huge sandwich, so split it with someone, or take some home in a doggy bag.

Personally, I'd rather spend $11.25 on a big, decent sandwich than $7.25 on a Boars Head or Dietz and Watson one..
    I'm a real tough deli critic, and I don't mind paying premium prices for good stuff. Some people are'nt as fussy, though

Hey, at $11.25, it's still cheaper than the $15.50 price at Harolds Deli in Edison! (but the latter is worth it, too! And as an added bonus, the pickle/rye bread bar is included)
    And for the record, I like the pastrami at Harold's; (the corned beef does'nt do much for me there)

Check it out, Chris!
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 13:18:47 (permalink)
    Ellen

I guess you are right. The special at Downbeach Deli in Margate is almost that much. 10 something I believe.

Chris
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 21:30:43 (permalink)
    I can't tell you how many times I've passed this place, and thought it was a custard stand. I know, I've read about the Russ Cowan thing (my daughter worked at the Kibbitz Room in Cherry Hill), but just never felt like going. Now, I don't eat corned beef or pastrami (I know you think I'm nuts, but I just don't), and I don't even KNOW if Brian eats it. But I'll look at their menu. This might be good to stop at on the way down or the way back from somewhere on or off of 73. I swear, I'm on 73 at LEAST once a day, not necessarily down that far. This place is maybe 15 or 20 minutes away from me, tops. I have to call and find out their hours, and if their hours are different this time of year.

Thanks, El, for the "prod" to try this place!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 21:36:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

... Hammonton is known for their yearly Blueberry Festival.

...which I would NEVER recommend. The Hammonton Blueberry Festival may have been wonderful at one time, but I think since they moved it to the High School, it's just AWFUL. We didn't like it there at all! In fact, it's the worst food festival we ever went to. It might even be the worst festival, period, that I've ever attended! And what a shame. It was just real "carnie".

Other than that I really like Hammonton, and everything that's Old South Jersey.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 21:43:50 (permalink)
    I am a Jersey boy that now lives in west Tn and I loved those pictures. I miss the great food although I could show you some great barbecue sandwiches and ribs. Please keep the great pictures and reports coming!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 22:40:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bobs

I am a Jersey boy that now lives in west Tn and I loved those pictures. I miss the great food although I could show you some great barbecue sandwiches and ribs. Please keep the great pictures and reports coming!

Welcome to Roadfood, Bobs!
    Your Tennessee is a beautiful state...
    and I had the pleasure of experiencing some great Nashville food during our Roadfood "meat up" a year and a half ago.
    Love that Loveless Cafe fried chicken, plus pimento cheese sandwiches from the Henpeck Market.
    Jane and Michael Stern were with us the whole day on the bus!
    What a day!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mr. Bills Coney Island; Downbeach Deli, AC area 2008/11/14 22:53:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChrisOC

Ellen

I guess you are right. The special at Downbeach Deli in Margate is almost that much. 10 something I believe.
    Chris

Yeah, you're right, as I happened to do some take-out from the Downbeach the other day after work. I see on the menu that a large pastrami special is $8.95.

I ordered a hot turkey and a hot brisket sandwich....
    each was priced fair enough at around 10 bucks.
    open faced HOT TURKEY, Downbeach Deli, Margate,(5 miles south of AC)

Decent turkey, not the processed kind; the gravy did not taste homemade, though (note the "extra side" gravy I got in the back left)

Here's the open faced HOT BRISKET; better than I expected; it tends to be hit or miss.... I prefer good, thick homemade brisket gravy; instead, this comes with au jus... (still good, though)

Regarding their pastrami, they use "Sheinman" out of Philly, (if I spelled that right). That is for their non-Kosher version.
    And the lady told me their Kosher version is first cut Hebrew National. (I hate that "first cut" stuff; it's too "perfect")
    (I need some moistness and fat, baby!)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1