Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever?

Author
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
2005/01/14 01:13:56 (permalink)

Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever?

Does anyone else from west Texas, eastern New Mexico and/or western Oklahoma remember the chain "Mr. Burger"? Their heyday was in the '70s, but they lasted into the early '90s in some towns. They followed the Texas Dairy Queen model of having a location in nearly every small town in the entire Texas panhandle, but unlike a proper Texas DQ, the food at Mr. Burger was invariably awful: cold fries, tasteless burgers, utterly forgettable sides. Is there anyone at all with an even mildly fond memory of these places?

17 Replies Related Threads

valaryf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/01/31 08:03:02 (permalink)
    Yes I remember Mr. Burger. I Don't know where you lived but I grew up in Amarillo and Canyon. Mr. Burger was my first job in 1975. They actually had the very good burgers. Their Onion Rings were the best, and they were the first fast food chain that had popcorn chicken that was excellent.
    If it wasn't for Mr. Burger I probably would have starved during college at WT they had Burger night on Wednsday's 3 @ $1.00. So maybe it was just the stores you went to or maybe the latter years when they werent so great.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/01/31 09:01:04 (permalink)
    I've seen a couple Mr Burgers around here (still open)... Not sure if their affiliated with the ones in Texas.. Can't report on the food quality either since I've never stopped in there.. They do have a website, but it totally lacks any info: http://www.mrburger.com/
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/01/31 11:22:59 (permalink)

I remember the one in Brownfield from the summers when we would visit my aunt. I don't remember the food though! Dairy Queen was our hangout. I think the Mr. Burger was about midway on the "drag". Riding around in cars was about all there was to do there in the summers as a teen.
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/09/18 20:15:14 (permalink)
    I've never had a bad meal in Texas because I think cooking is in their blood. As fas as a bad chain, I think burger king wears the crown for the worst.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/09/25 01:32:42 (permalink)
    I happened to find Mr. Burger in Guymon, Oklahoma, recently. Guymon is in the panhandle. The motif was blue and white. According to the cashier there were three locations--two in Guymon (one was a trailer; think county fairs) and the other in Hooker. I ordered a hamburger and found it to be quite tasty!

Lucky Bishop, is this what you remember?
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2005/09/25 14:40:01 (permalink)
    McFan, that does sound accurate, except for the quite tasty burger part. Mr. Burger's logo was indeed blue and white. I suspect that the chain no longer exists and the ones in eastern OK are former franchisees that didn't change their name.
    malcolmdbc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/04/18 15:39:27 (permalink)
    There is a brand new Mr. Burger in Wylie (Abilene, TX.) that is great. It is part of the Mr. Burger chain. Great hot food at good prices and crushed ice in the drinks.
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/04/18 23:23:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I've seen a couple Mr Burgers around here (still open)... Not sure if their affiliated with the ones in Texas.. Can't report on the food quality either since I've never stopped in there.. They do have a website, but it totally lacks any info: http://www.mrburger.com/

Uncle Vic,
    All seven of the Grand Rapids, MI area Mr.Burgers are privately owned by Pete Christopolus.

Pete owned the Dog & Suds on Lake Michigan Dr. west of Covell Rd. back in the mid 60's and got tired of it being just a teen hangout with fights in the parking lot every weekend and when the Dog & Suds chain was beginning to die off reopened it as "Mr. Burger" restaurant with a family atmosphere and minus the jukebox. The original location was remodeled once and then totally torn down after they built a new building just west of the original site.. Pete is now retired but still involved in the business but his kids run the day-to-day operations. I was in the LMD location a while back at lunch and he still recognizes me and never fails to say hello to me. His burgers and dogs along with all his menu items are top notch quality for a FF/sit-down restaurant. Many of their employess have been with him for 20 years and recently they honored the retirement of someone who was with him from the beginning.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/04/18 23:40:12 (permalink)
    ShenB.. You are the master of local food history here!
    GTONN2O
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/05/22 17:27:32 (permalink)
    We still have a Mr burger in Great Bend KS, It has been here as long as I can I have been here 30+ years I love it. It taste a lot like In & out burger on the west coast. I think I will go get some now...lol
    zeebaneighba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/05/22 18:47:37 (permalink)
    Wow, I had forgotten about Mr. Burger! I worked and lived in the Oklahoma Panhandle 1988-1990 and I well remember one in Guymon. It wasn't bad, IIRC, but there was also a Dairy Queen and my friends and I tended to go there instead. Actually, what I remember best is the great Mexican food you could get in Guymon and other parts of the Panhandle. That started me on my own cooking experiments (well, I must be honest...there wasn't MUCH else to do in the Panhandle! Sorry.)
    nitabell383
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/06/04 15:48:56 (permalink)
    yes, this is to Lucky Bishop, and I just want to say I live in Lubbock Texas. My opinion is you are crazy, I wish that there was still a Mr. Burger here, in fact, I just found that there is one in Abilene, which is about a 2-3 hours away and my family and I are planning to make a trip there just to eat at Mr. Burger. My parents used to run the one in Canyon, when my dad was going to WT. So maybe, the one you went to was bad, but overall Mr. Burger is one of the best places to eat a burger.
    zeebaneighba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/06/07 18:59:27 (permalink)
    Was this unique to Mr. Burger, or to the OK and TX Panhandles in general? I'm a "plain" gal when it comes to burgers; I like the hamburger patty, cheese, and onions (raw or grilled), but no extras, please. When I used to order at Mr. Burger, I had to be sure to request "plain and dry" to get what I wanted. Otherwise, I'd get the burger without lettuce and tomato, but WITH mayo, ketchup, and mustard (yuck.) I hadn't thought about that in years, and just wondered if that was part of ordering at Mr. Burger or part of the area.
    nitabell383
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/06/10 00:12:20 (permalink)
    I remember growing up that you had to order it plain and dry if you wanted no vegetables or mayo or mustard. The reason being is I had a brother and that is the way he wanted his
    Senor Burger
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/09/12 21:15:11 (permalink)
    i used to work at the mr burger in alamogordo, hobbs, and carlsbad, nm, we were operating in out of business wendy's restaurants. me and a buddy were old wendy's managers so we thought we could jump satrt this chain unfortunately the financial backers would not let us do our thing to make this chain successful, paychecks started bouncing, utilities were threatened to be shut off, when the big guys came in and fired everyone and operated it themselves. these big guys claimed to be with pizza hut when they first started. decent food, bad upper management and weak financial.
    mtaylor137
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2008/10/13 16:19:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Does anyone else from west Texas, eastern New Mexico and/or western Oklahoma remember the chain "Mr. Burger"? Their heyday was in the '70s, but they lasted into the early '90s in some towns. They followed the Texas Dairy Queen model of having a location in nearly every small town in the entire Texas panhandle, but unlike a proper Texas DQ, the food at Mr. Burger was invariably awful: cold fries, tasteless burgers, utterly forgettable sides. Is there anyone at all with an even mildly fond memory of these places?

They still exist is Amarillo Texas.
    fxdwg
    Junior Burger
    Re:Mr Burger (West Texas): worst burger chain ever? 2013/02/09 22:58:41 (permalink)
    anyone still out there to talk about mr burger? ate at one in ruidosa nm a few years ago
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1