Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ

Author
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2014/06/01 00:02:38 (permalink)

Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ

They closed awhile ago. I miss the "Special Dee" sauce. Some kind of potent garlic topping and I wanted to find the owner and buy the recipe for my personal use. I'll sign a non-disclosure if he wants. I like it that much.

A few (years?) ago on here someone mentioned the family might own a diner in Hazlet, NJ, I've just been lazy about getting there.

Yesterday I decided to Google the diner.  They have a bunch of Sabrett hot dogs on the menu. That's a good sign, as Mr. Dee's was a Sabrett's dealer. I figured this might be a good chance they own the diner, so I set out to drive there today.

It's about 1 hour and 15 minutes from me, but I figured worst comes to worst I'll maybe find some place cool to stop at.

I got there and didn't know who to talk with.. I don't just want anyone. I was looking around for someone who seemed like they'd care. I was asked by the girl at the register if she could help me, so I said give me a minute I want to place a to go order, and I questioned her about the family who owned the place. She didn't know much, but said to speak with so and so. I had saw so and so walk by a few minutes earlier, and she looked to be a take charge type of person by the way she walks fast, carries her voice, and was dressed nicer.

So I ordered some food and sat on my cell phone until I saw her come out. I asked her and she was very nice telling me the owner of the diner was Dan, but he didn't own Mr. Dee's. He (bought? rented?) I forget the building after. He was operating a drive through for awhile. I struck out.

So, now I've got a few options:

1 - Call back when Dan is there or write a letter explaining my situation. Maybe he can at least give me some more info.. maybe he's still in contact with the other person. 

2 - Call the agency handling the building and see if they have any info.

3 - Call up Sabrett's and see if they have any old information on file.

Either way I think if people aren't willing to give out personal information, which I understand, I'll have a short letter ready and see if any of those people will forward that letter to the person if they do have any information.

Anyway, thought you'd enjoy my story. I'm gonna do some cold calling on Monday if I get a free moment at work. I may or may not be able to share the recipe if I get it, but I'll at least update this thread and post pictures.

Again, if anyone has any leads for me let me know. I hadn't acted upon this for so long, but I need to.

16 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/01 07:58:29 (permalink)
    I think reaching out personally to the owner is your best bet, and maybe mention the date and time you stopped in and who you spoke with in case he wants to verify your existence.  Good luck!

So did you find any interesting roadside attractions, culinary or not, along your route?
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/01 14:23:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, I am going to mention the person I spoke with. As for the sauce the only thing I really have to go on is this tiny picture from Holly:

http://www.hollyeats.com/MrDees.htm
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1689
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/01 16:49:32 (permalink)
    Well, bring all this along and maybe they will relent
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/02 14:10:58 (permalink)
    Well, I've got word to contact someone on Wednesday, but no guarantee this person knows anything.

Does anyone live near this place? It's at 3 Johnson Lane, Sayreville or Parlin, NJ? Maybe you can get me the phone number on the building who is handling rental or purchase. I'm unable to locate it on the web. I signed up for a website that supposedly shows me info on who owns the building, but they have you sign up for a free account and then tell you you have to pay like $80. That's ridiculous, because I don't know if they'll really have the info I need.

I'll eventually drive down there if I need. It's just that it's over an hour drive for me, so I'll have to
    wait until next payday to waste gas/money like that.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/02 15:00:42 (permalink)
    How is it an hour's drive from Edison to Sayreville? 35 minutes tops, unless you mean round-trip.

How about going on one nj.com forums for Sayreville and/or Parlin and ask if anyone knows his whereabouts. Those are both close-knit old school towns where people tend to know these things. Plus he was there a long time, so somebody must know him personally. Just a suggestion.
    post edited by ken8038 - 2014/06/02 15:04:11
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/06 13:49:36 (permalink)
    Edison, NJ lol.. not sure why I have that on here.. I can't remember.. I will have to update that as I've !never! lived in Edison. I was in Green Brook originally, but at current I'm the next town over from Toms River. I think someone else (maybe even you) asked me that in the past.

So, yes, it was over an hour.

I have never been to the NJ.com forums. Thanks for the tip!!

My current update:

I  spoke with who I need to speak with last Wednesday. They had no information for me other than they got the Mr. Dee's building because it was in foreclosure. So, looks like the tax story was probably true. They have no contact with them.

Sounds pretty crazy, but I also have a Private Investigator who can dig up exactly the info I need. I don't have a girlfriend cheating on me, I'm just craving some food lol.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/07 11:45:31 (permalink)
    I see what happened.. with not updating my city.. I did update it some time ago, but not in the right spot.

If I go to Roadfood.com and click "My Roadfood" it has Cranbury, NJ listed there.. I was living there a few years ago. But that has nothing to do with my profile on the forum.

So, now I've updated it in both locations to where I am. :)
    post edited by yuppicide - 2014/06/07 11:51:29
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/10 14:11:57 (permalink)
    NJ.com has turned up no responses so far. Maybe I should have started my sentence with offering CASH reward.

My friend thinks maybe the food is a lot better in my head. Maybe when I get the recipe I won't want it as much. I say don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm at the point where I hire a private detective, but they want a minimum of X hours pay. I have no problem with that, except how do I know they're good? How do I know they're gonna even do anything? I need a Private Investigator to investigate the Private Investigator. But then if the first Private Investigator turns out to be a good one, why do I even need the second one?

I should turn this into a blog. It's getting interesting.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/13 01:16:21 (permalink)
    Whoever suggested NJ.com.. thanks a bunch! It's 1:15AM so I don't have time to scroll up and see who.. I have to sleep. But anyway, they pointed me towards some websites that hopefully they will respond to my email. The second link below shows they might sell BBQ onions and Chili. Not what I am after, but hopefully they can help.

http://www.mrdeeschili.com/Home.html

http://www.deeschili.com/about-us.html
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/18 00:25:38 (permalink)
    They answered me. I think it's a relative of the family. No to selling me the recipe, but yes to selling me quarts of this special garlic sauce. I think Saturday it may be all set to go down. I go there. I fork over money. I receive two quarts of sauce.

I just wish I had it myself to make, because it's over an hour drive. I just don't know if I am supposed to feel bad for this person for making them come with two quarts of sauce. I guess it's quick money for them. Not sure how long it takes.

Oh well I hope to have pics of me and my sauce soon. I totally feel like this kid:

[tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU[/tube]
    post edited by yuppicide - 2014/06/18 00:27:23
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/18 00:28:24 (permalink)
    Heh.. why have a YouTube button on the forum if it doesn't work?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/18 10:04:50 (permalink)
    Cool...it's looking like your legwork is going to pay off!
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/18 23:24:20 (permalink)
    So, turns out the original Mr. Dee is making the sauce for me, so I'm sure it'll be the same taste/quality. I'm set to pick up a few quarts this weekend and the a bunch more the following weekend that I can put in the fridge.

I think the reason I couldn't find anything all these years is because I've been searching for the garlic relish or "Special Dee" as it's called. I never once thought to look for his bbq onions or chili.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/18 23:43:26 (permalink)
    Was Mr. Dee's a long-time establishment?  Or something more recent that happened to be around for a few years?  I'm thinking you might have an opportunity to conduct a bit of an interview and find out more about its history, the sauce, Mr. Dee himself, and so forth.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/19 14:02:52 (permalink)
    I believe he was in that location since 1971. He started off as a cart and eventually turned into a building (I'm not sure when). Not sure when he came up with the garlic recipe I like or where the inspiration came from. He was a Sabrett's dealer.. meaning you could go there and get everything in large quantity if you needed.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mr. Dee's Hot Dogs in Sayreville/Parlin, NJ 2014/06/21 18:46:47 (permalink)
    I got the goodies! I met the one and only Mr Dee. He was on the phone, but I did find out he sold the business in 2003.

Here's a pic of the sauce:
    http://i59.tinypic.com/30xjyxg.jpg

He wanted a deposit if I was coming back to get 8 quarts, because it's a big order. But once I got here all he really wanted to see is me face to face man to man to see I was serious.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1