The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Tue, 07/26/05 1:22 PM (permalink)
Would anyone have information on the defunct Mr. S hamburger chain? As a child of the 1970's I ate there a lot, they claimed to have restaurants coast to coast, but the only 1 I ever remember was the one in Jersey City NJ. Looked a bit on the web, but found nothing yet. Feel free to email me .

Joisey

RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Wed, 07/27/05 3:02 PM (permalink)
    Just had another memory--their big sandwich was called a Jumboy.

mkuca

• Total Posts: 10
      RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Fri, 09/16/05 10:27 PM (permalink)
      I'm formerly from Bayonne and I recall two Mr.S's in Jersey City. One was on Rt.440 in the building where the old K-9 Drive - In was located. The 2nd, I can't remember the name of the avenue, was past JournaL Square in the heights. In my travels I never saw another one. The one on 440 closed first, followed a few years later by the other.

Joisey

RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Mon, 09/19/05 9:03 AM (permalink)
        Very cool! Thanks for posting. We lived in the heights & didn't get down to 440, so I didn't realize there was another. Mr. S had great food--still looking for pictures or more memorabilia, but have come up empty. Somewhere in my attic I have a Mr S hat (the paper ones the workers used to wear).

mkuca

• Total Posts: 10
          RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Tue, 09/20/05 11:20 PM (permalink)
          Hello Joisey,
          Let me know if you come up with anymore information On Mr. S. I used to enjoy the Burgers too!

mkuca

Joisey

RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Sat, 12/27/08 12:53 PM (permalink)
            just bouncing this up top to see if there might be more info.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
              RE: Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Sun, 12/28/08 12:35 AM (permalink)
              Sorry, Sweetie!

I have no recollection of Mr. S. Neither do my siblings, and parents.

I was in the single digits, throughout the 70s, but my brother & sisters were in their late teens.

I only remember Paradise East being in the location that was previously K-9, on 440. Back in the day, Journal Square was usually the final destination for Jersey City. The heights was like taking a ride to Canada!

Eventually, I learned to venture north. I bet it was on Central Ave. since it was/is a major shopping "avenue" in Jersey City.

Maybe Tedbear recalls. Paging Tedbear!!!

When in doubt, keep it as a  favorite search on Ebay. EVERY memorabilia item that ever existed eventually ends up on Ebay, sooner or later

<message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 12/28/08 12:41 AM>

atsf359

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Wed, 11/13/13 6:05 PM (permalink)
                Hello Joisey,
                Paul here from Buffalo NY...We had a MR S here when i was growing up in the late 60s early 70's...Only one i can remember...My older brother worked there...Best burgers and fries and better than any of the major chains....They closed and left our area in the late 70's...I cannot find any web pics or articles on them either...BTW, I was born and lived my first 6 years @ 41 South St in Freehold NJ...My brothers and sisters all went to St Rose of Lima...My uncle had a house on Conover st....Our old house is gone and there's a nursing home i think or some kind of apt building on the site along the old RR tracks....

Paul

Dusty53

• Total Posts: 1
                  Re:Mr S Hamburger chain-Jersey City NJ Sat, 02/1/14 1:49 PM (permalink)
                  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I thought for awhile I was losing my mind.  I remembered a Mr. S Hamburger restaurant here in Louisville Ky on US 31W but no one I’ve talked with here can remember it.  As I recall the sign out in front of the place had an S that spun around. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com