The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mr. Steak Restaurants...

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101
Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 02/15/07 10:13 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sk bob
right next to the old Shakeys pizza

SkBob,
Wow, Shakey's Pizza! -- If you want one of those, I am assured that the one in Warner Robins, Georgia is alive and operating as of only a week or two ago.
Can you believe that I do not remember ever having been to a Shakey's! This remaining one is operated as an independent by the original franchisor or his-or-her family. Nothing major has been changed since it opened in something like 1959.
UnShakily, Ort. Carlton in Pizza-Plentiful Athens, Georgia.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 02/16/07 5:05 PM (permalink)
    MR. Steak & Shakeys Pizza next door to each other, those were the days.
    I found a frozen pizza tht almost has that Shakeys taste...Freshetta ultra thin pizza.

J G

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 03/19/07 8:20 PM (permalink)
      I would guess that one or more of the Syracuse Mr. Steak restaurant were franchised to the owners of Zebb's and Kirby's. Then, I would think when Mr. Steak went four-legs-high, Kirby's sprang from their leftovers (mmmm...leftovers)

Zebb's and Kirby's are terrific restaurants. Zebb's is a great place to hang out, and always a satisfying experience. ZebbOriginal Wings are unbelievable, and original.
      quote:
      Originally posted by sonjaab

There used to be 3 of them in the SyraCUSE ny AREA.
      I can assume they changed to their current name of
      Kirbys Steak house around 1987s Jamcos Bk filing.

They are still owned by the same person/group who also
      operates Zebbs Grill and bar resturants that are
      located in Syracuse, Rochester, and Utica NY.

Lisa Ogden, Ut

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 04/5/07 2:25 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by MrSteak

Anyone out there know what happened to the Mr. Steak Restaurant chain?
        Any info would be appreciated....

Lisa Ogden, Ut

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 04/5/07 2:30 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by MrSteak

Anyone out there know what happened to the Mr. Steak Restaurant chain?
          Any info would be appreciated....
          I worked at the Mr. Steak in Ogden, Ut back in the early 80's. This one was a franchise, but the owner lost it back to the company. They sent out their people to change and work the rest. but it quickly went under. It is amazing how many people fondly remember this place because of the long time employees and the good food.

flitterfli25

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 04/20/07 11:58 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by DenverJeff

Do any Denverites remember Mr. Steak's Firegrill, which was located on Arapahoe Road in Greenwood Village. There is an Old Santa Fe mexican restaurant there now. After a year or two, they took the "Mr. Steak's" off of the name, and it simply became Firegrill. It was definitely affiliated with the same Mr. Steak chain being discussed here, because it had the same logo. I never ate at one of the regular Mr. Steak establishments, but it is my impression that Firegrill was more upscale. They had little fiber-optic lights in the ceiling that made it look like a starry night. They served little crocks of delicious au gratin potatoes with a wonderful cheddar crust.

This was a new concept that the Mr. Steak Corp. new owners wanted to start. It didn't work as well as they would have liked and the company went belly up. So very sad. I liked the concept and I have seen several resturants take on some of the ideas.

flitterfli25

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 04/21/07 12:01 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by KevinP

My dad worked at one in Independence from 1979 to 2005. He pretty much held that thing together, it closed within 2 months of his departure.

It is now The Player's Club..........a bar.

It was located at 3301 S. Noland Road in Independence, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City.

There was a franchise owned by Paul Consiglio, which included the Independence location as well as a mall location in Overland Park, which closed in probably the early to late-80s. Consiglio was diagnosed with cancer in 1997 and passed away in May of 2006 at the age of 57.

There was also one in Sedalia, Missouri, about an hour away from the KC metro. There was at least one other in the Kansas City area, possibly North Kansas City or even downtown.

But the only official location I am now aware of is in St. Charles, and the only other I've ever been to as a Mr. Steak.

Hi Kevin
              This is Amanda. Fancy seeing you on this forum.

flitterfli25

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 04/21/07 12:08 AM (permalink)
                My dad was the owner of many Mr. Steak Restaurants in the Kansas City area. At this time there are only two Mr. Steak restaurants in existence, St. Charles, MO and Fargo, ND. The corporation that bought out the Mr. Steak corp. in the 90’s, did a very poor job of keeping things going. There was a lot of mismanagement and the corporation eventually went under leaving the owners of the individuals store hanging by a thread. Many of these owners were good friends of my dads and they all tired very hard to keep a nice family style restaurant in business. Unfortunately this could not be done for many of them and they closed their doors and said goodbye to their faithful patrons. After nine years of battling cancer and battling loss of business we decided as a family to close the doors of our Mr. Steak in Independence, MO. It was a very hard decision that my family made, but it had to be done. If you are a former patron, know that we miss you and Mr. Steak.

KevinP

• Total Posts: 4
                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 04/27/07 6:12 PM (permalink)
                  Wow, I accidentally put Truman's address. Habit I guess.

I meant to say 1501......I think.

jobyna

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 05/11/07 2:46 AM (permalink)
                    Can anyone tell me if Mr Steak had a large fibreglass steer outside? The one I'm trying to identify is about 7 feet tall, is cartoon looking and wearing a red & white checkered vest. He is standing on his hind legs and holding his arm out. He looks a lot like a cow version of Bob's Big Boy. I can e-mail a photo if anyone has information.
                    Thanks,
                    Phil jobyna@earthlink.net

cuddle1979

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 05/21/07 10:14 PM (permalink)
                      I just went by the Mr. Steak in St. Charles, MO yesterday. Unfortunately I had just eaten and I was going by so fast (on I-70) that I didn't see if it was open (if there were any cars in the parking lot). I didn't realize that there were any of these still around. I did a search for Mr. Steak and came across this great website and signed up. I see this particular Mr. Steak location is only one of two or three left in the country. I am going to try to make it back down to St. Charles, MO just to go to this Mr. Steak in the next couple of weekends. I am from Macomb, IL and I barely remember my parents taking me there with them a few times back when I was a kid. It has been a Godfather's Pizza for many years now. However, there have been no improvements to the building which looks a great deal like what I went by yesterday in St. Charles, MO. Does anyone know for sure if the St. Charles location is still open? I would hate to be disappointed if I drove all the way there and it was closed. :)

-Trent

gakola

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 06/15/07 11:15 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by jobyna

Can anyone tell me if Mr Steak had a large fibreglass steer outside? The one I'm trying to identify is about 7 feet tall, is cartoon looking and wearing a red & white checkered vest. He is standing on his hind legs and holding his arm out. He looks a lot like a cow version of Bob's Big Boy. I can e-mail a photo if anyone has information.
                        Thanks,
                        Phil jobyna@earthlink.net

If 30 year old memory serves me (and we know memory is a liar and a thief - at least mine is) the fiberglass cow at the Littleton, CO Mr. Steak looked like a black and white cow on four legs, not a cartoon cow. Other franchises may have used other promotions.

Other fiberglass cows of note, the Jilberts Dairy cow in Marquette, MI, still in very active use. Check out the ice cream bar at the dairy in town, worth the stop.

Also there was a very large cow on the roof of a Dairy west of New orleans (Metairie?, on the lake side of, I think, Airline Hwy).

Fargoan

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 07/5/07 4:56 PM (permalink)
                          Update: The Fargo (ND) Mr. Steak has now closed.

Suddenly and without warning. News story here: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=170912

"The longtime Fargo restaurant, known for its Mr. Steak Sirloin and soup and salad bar, has closed its doors after 32 years in business."

nighthawk

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 08/24/07 11:47 PM (permalink)
                            My mom used to love the continental that Mr. Steak made. I need to know how to make this to surprise her. Can anyone help me with what was in the continental and how I could make it for her? Thanks, Tim

chtrout

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 09/17/07 7:11 PM (permalink)
                              Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this very interesting website and was truly delighted to find this thread regarding Mr. Steak Restaurants. That was my first real job in high school and I worked my way up to a company-trained assistant manager & trainer. I hired on at Mr. Steak #1 at 1709 West Littleton Boulevard, Littleton Colorado in late 1965 or early 1966, and continued to work there until I left for the Marine Corps in Jan. 1968.

I saw the piece on Wikipedia that was repeated in one of the above posts about the early history of the company, but it does not quite match my own personal memory.

The company officers that I can remember and personally knew to some degree were Jim Mathers, President, former Navy Lt Cdr, lived behind Littleton Senior High School; the Schiffo brothers, Lew & Tom, Vice Presidents, both very dynamic former Marine Corps Captains (my inspiration for joining the Marines); and Mr. Leavinson, Treasurer (don’t remember his first name).

My understanding from them was that the first unit was opened in Rockford, IL, but then the Littleton unit opened shortly thereafter. Originally it was a metal tables & chairs on brick floor affair and you went through a line with your tray to order your meals. They soon remodeled into the full service family steak restaurant that we all remember, with waitresses in red uniforms, white pin-in colors and white caps; cooks with red Mr. Steak shirts, white waist aprons and black slacks; and the manager in a red Mr. Steak blazer. I thought I had truly “arrived” when I earned my red blazer! Man was I proud!

I think the Rockford unit may have soon closed, not sure, but the Colorado Springs unit didn’t open until a year or two later. There must have been 5-6 units in the Denver area, and “Colfax” was always the real money maker. It was the only unit that also served breakfast.

As I said, I was assistant manager, and I attended “The Mr. Steak College of Restaurant Knowledge” (hoaky name, but truly great training) out near I-25 & Arapahoe Road. We would get a new franchisee every two weeks at our company unit #1 and would train him to go out and open his own store. When I left for the Marines in 1968, we had just under 400 units either fully open or under construction.

Someone asked about the sign. It was a very large cartoon-like Hereford bull’s head with a large white Mr. Steak chefs hat, slightly crossed eyes, and his tongue hanging out to one side.

Another person asked about a Continental. Mappelli-Lindner-Sigman (sp) was our meat source and the Continental was a proprietary double-patty affair that had some great cheese and mushrooms sealed inside, served on grilled french bread. Our “finger” sandwich sold very well, as did our french dip, and our Reuben. We also offered a very basic hamburger called a “Mr. B.” Our best selling steak was the “Frontier,” basically a filet mignons. I think we called our New York strip a “Mr. Steak Sirloin.” Our garnish was a lettuce leaf with two slices of red beats. We made our own bleu cheese dressing.

Mr. Steak #1 eventually relocated to the corner of Littleton Boulevard & Broadway, but the original building still stands today as some kind of mortgage or title company.

Sorry to write a short book, but all this brought back a flood of pleasant memories.

All good wishes,
                              Craig Trout

Loudoun County, VA

chtrout

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sat, 09/22/07 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                I received a an off-line question from Tim ("nighthawk") regarding the old Mr. Steak "Continental" sandwich, and I am also including my answer here in case it is of interest to others.

= = =

Hi Tim,

The Mr. Steak "Continental" was a proprietary product that consisted of two patties sealed around the "fillings" at the meat packing plant (in our case, Mapelli-Sigmon-Lindler -- I don't know if they are still in business). I am still trying to remember what cheese they sealed inside, along with chopped mushrooms, but it was a truly perfect choice. Tangy and slightly sharp, light in color, but not as light-colored as Swiss. It was a French variety of cheese, but for the life of me, I cannot think of the name.

There was nothing unusual about the preparation, just straightforward frying on the grill, being turned perhaps three times in the process. Since it was pre-sealed at the meat packers, it naturally sealed in all the juices and melting cheese, and we were very careful not to mash it down (burst it) with our spatulas. Tasted great, but it could definitely be a "three-napkin" sandwich. I used to like to dip my French fries in the cheese drippings on the plate.

The bread was simply thin-sliced French bread, brushed lightly with butter, then grilled until lightly browned.

Now you've done it, I would love to have one right now! Those were the days!

All good wishes,
                                Craig H. Trout
                                former Asst. Manager & Trainer
                                Mr. Steak #1, 1709 Littleton Blvd., Littleton, CO

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Wed, 09/26/07 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                  Craig, I worked at the Littleton store in 70 when I was in high school. The Couch's ran it, Danny and his wife. When I went to college years later I worked at Colfax For Don Chapinic.
                                  As I remember the burgers were Dukes. The finger was the flaked and formed steak sandwich. The "fillet" was a ball tip siloin (I'll never forget that-I cut a truck load). The steak ands were a top sirloin. The STP was burger patty or steamed cod with CC/P. I'll never forget, meat, mushroom pepper onion, meat, mushroom, pepper, onion. Heat the soup in the deepfry. Cook the butter cooked mushrooms in the same place.I dont' rememeber a NY strip, but that was 32 years ago. I will remember the steak and mush. the breaded mushrooms were as big as plum, when you bit in the juice would almost drown you.Don lived in Broomfield and bought the meats he cut at Montfort.With a sharp crew, 3 guys could pump out $800/hour at 70's prices.Bob Renfrow was the bad boy manager. He worked for all the franchisee's and company stores. He was very good if he could stay sober.
                                  All cooks dread the word deep cleaning. At Mr Steak it was called closing. How I remember climbing the hot hood doing the stainless. Putting a sheet pan over the grill and deep fryer as I worked my way accross. Starting to slide as the bottom of your shoes started to melt. Giving every peice of stainless that wasn't bolted down to the dish kid. And then GIing the floor with a scrub brush and the squgee at the end. The was no cleaner resturaunt in America than Mr Steak. Don went on terminal fishing leave and his oldest daughter took over. I thought his wife was the meanest woman in the world. Nope, it was his oldest daughter. The two yougest were sweeties. I could't deal with her and had to bail.
                                  britt neal

brittneal

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Wed, 09/26/07 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                    I forgot, they were building the first upscale Mr. Steak and called me in. It was on Colorado and Evans. It was cocktails and more high end items. I don't remember much about it as I turned the opportunity down.
                                    britt

mikeservo

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 11/16/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                      Aaah all of the memories! I grew up in a Mr. Steak. My mother started as a waitress, went to asst mgr, mgr and then when they started selling off a lot of the eastern and midwest stores, she franchised one. To answer a few questions, yes Mr. Steak did have a cartoon cow for a bit back in the 70's. It had a chef hat on and little dots for eyes. There was a fibergalss head that hung on the outside of some of the locations. I still have it haha Later on after it had been taken down we would take it up on the roof and do "The dancing Cow" with it. It was huge so you could hold up this cow head and dance around while ongoing passerbys laughed. So many of my friends had their first jobs at Mr Steak.
                                      I also remember the Firegrill. I am not sure of which locations actually had this, in the Cleveland are we did not.
                                      My mom still has a lot of the old menus, booths, etc that were taken out of service for newer ones. I was actually moving the other day and found a very old Mr Steak hat.
                                      I had seen a few logo changes as well. There was the simple mr steak writing with a sort of wraparound box around it as well as the chalk/painted style lettering.
                                      The continental was always a best seller. A burger stuffed with mushrooms and cheese on the inside served open face on rye.
                                      To be honest, the food quality and selection were the best of any restaurant I have yet to see to this day. Although some menus had slight variations there were plenty of beef, chicken and seafood items to choose from.
                                      What killed Mr Steak was the novelty/themed restaurants that started popping up. The Outbacks, Longhorns, etc. Also by then the place started to become a once a year birthday place to eat rather than the dining experience it once held.
                                      I remember even back in the mid 90's having a menu that had a combo meal that you could choose 2 items for $9.99 and add a 3rd for like $2 more. The items ranged from a 6 oz steak, 5 oz chicken breast, breaded shrimp, etc. And this came with a potato and salad.
                                      In reality you could have chosen 3 6 oz steaks for $11.99 with a potato and salad. I'm reminded of this everytime I look to see if a place has a steak and chicken combo (you will be hard pressed to find this).
                                      My mother ended up selling the place and it changed into a different restaurant. Since then it has went through 2 other changes with it being a bar/grill now for the past few years.
                                      I miss the old days of having really great food and menu items for a great price.
                                      Offhand I can only remember 2 slogans "Mr Steak get to know us, we're just like you" and "We more than live up to our family name".
                                      Oh yeah I always loved the placemats because they listed all of the other locations.

edz

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 01/6/08 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                        I was the sales manager for all the company owned Mr. Steaks, during its greatest growth from 1966-1968. I left for the 1976 olympic committee for Colorado, and by the time that got here, Mr. Steak had major financial problems.

Does ANYONE know where James A. Mather, the founder of Mr. Steak, can be located? Please respond if you do.

cewraith

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 08/1/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                          I used to go to Mr. Steak as a kid some 25 years ago and I would always get a sandwich called the Fingerlength, which was a hamburger steak of some kind that had an amazing flavor. I was wondering if anyone new how I could track down a recipe?

chtrout

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 08/1/08 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                            Yes, I really liked those Fingerlength Steak Sandwiches also!

As I remember, they were simply mechanically tenderized sirloin strips served on a grilled long French(?) roll.

We did nothing special in preparing them, it was just good meat on a very good roll.

Craig Trout
                                            former assistant manager (1966-1967)
                                            Mr. Steak #1
                                            1709 Littleton Blvd
                                            Littleton,CO

brittneal

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 08/3/08 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                              Craig, I started out at the store on littleton and broadway in the summer of 70. After I went in the AF for 6 years I worked for the Chepaniks on Colfax.
                                              I was wondering if you knew Bob Renfrow. He started with the Couches on Littleton in the early 70's
                                              BTW on the menu it said "flaked and formed" under the finger sandwich. All we did was throw it right on the grill, no seaoning or any thing. I ate a bunch of them in HS as they were the only "steak" we could have for employee meal. lol
                                              britt

Jen G

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Thu, 08/7/08 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                                Craig,
                                                Were you ever able to remember the type of cheese in the Continental Burger?
                                                Thanks!

magcentric

• Total Posts: 80
                                                  RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Fri, 08/8/08 1:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  We had a Mr. Steak in Oshkosh, WI until at least the late '80's. They had a chopped steak
                                                  patty with gravy on rye bread that I loved. Shakey's Pizza and Dairy Queen were also on that
                                                  same stretch of road.

Rude Dog

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 10/19/08 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    My first job was at Mr. Steak #97 @ 384 Park Ave. West, In Mansfield, Ohio- started a $1.00/hr bussing tables, also got 10% of waitresses tips for cleaning the tables- we used to have waiting lines from 5 pm till 9 pm EVERY fri. and sat. night !!! - Franchise owner Donald Zimmerman was a good boss to work for- I remember when he would ask "if anyone was checking for gum under the tables" ( he would occaisionally hide a $10 bill up under a table, stuck there with gum - finders keepers !!!) excellent food , learned good work ethics there !!! best foods were the ribeyes , manhandler sirloin ( I believe it was either a 12 or 16 ounce top sirloin that was butterflied ) fingerlength steak sandwiches were awesome, of course topped with Mr Steak Steak Sauce ( continental coffee , I believe manufactured the steak sauce- would love to get my hands on a few bottles of that sauce... Miss the awesome food- last time I went back to mansfield, the building was torn down, but the sign and parking lot is still there...

No Talent

• Total Posts: 262
                                                      RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Sun, 10/19/08 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      Rude Dog, What year was that you made a buck an hour ?

I'm guessing 1963 but have no clue except that when I starting bussing tables in 1971 I was paid $1.35 an hour until I found out the law was $1.65 minimum.

They blew me off, I turned them in, I got my back pay, And then I got fired.

But that's OK, I'd pick that battle again.

And I like the bubble gum line.

susan1

RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Mon, 12/15/08 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        I too worked at Mr. Steak all thru high school in the 80's in Denver area. (44th and Sheridan store #157?) I still have great memories of the people I worked with and for. I still have dreams of filling the salad bar, closing duties or changing into that horrific polyester uniform that had that steak smell. I have the cesar salad dressing recipe if anyone wants it. The coni (continental burger) was my favorite too! it was listed as swiss cheese and mushroom in the center. I also loved french fries dipped in brown gravy or sneaking ff from the nice cooks and we would dip in cesar dressing...ahhhhhh. those were the days!

Rt66Mike

• Total Posts: 155
                                                          • Location: St Louis, MO
                                                          RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Tue, 12/16/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          Just ate at the Mr. Steak in St. Charles yesterday...Still going strong - they always do quite a business as they give a free birthday meal. Mr. Steak has to be one of the 4 or 5 longest running restaurants in St. Charles County - it has been there at least 30 years.
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by cuddle1979

I just went by the Mr. Steak in St. Charles, MO yesterday. Unfortunately I had just eaten and I was going by so fast (on I-70) that I didn't see if it was open (if there were any cars in the parking lot). I didn't realize that there were any of these still around. I did a search for Mr. Steak and came across this great website and signed up. I see this particular Mr. Steak location is only one of two or three left in the country. I am going to try to make it back down to St. Charles, MO just to go to this Mr. Steak in the next couple of weekends. I am from Macomb, IL and I barely remember my parents taking me there with them a few times back when I was a kid. It has been a Godfather's Pizza for many years now. However, there have been no improvements to the building which looks a great deal like what I went by yesterday in St. Charles, MO. Does anyone know for sure if the St. Charles location is still open? I would hate to be disappointed if I drove all the way there and it was closed. :)

-Trent

Rt66Mike

• Total Posts: 155
                                                            • Location: St Louis, MO
                                                            RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... Tue, 12/16/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                                            Oh...Almost forgot - they have a website:

http://www.mrsteakstcharles.com/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com