Hot!Mr. Steak Restaurants...

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
strider357
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/12/29 19:44:24 (permalink)
Stumbled across your forums while searching for something else and thought I'd chime in about Mr. Steak. I find the memories interesting. I was 16 when started for Mr. Steak, in the Boulder, CO store, which was also well up the ranks in the chain. I started as a dishwasher, eventually became the head cook, and then at 19 ended up working for Corporate in the Operations Department. I was in every store Mr Steak had in Oklahoma and Texas with the exception of one of the two in Houston, I only visited that one every once in a while I managed the other. Had a bit of experience under my belt when I finally left the company in 1972.
I was also a big fan of the Finger sandwich and the Continental. I still make the Continental, my version anyway, and it's pretty darn close, as far as my memory goes. I still make the Black Russian, Reubens of course, I still do the Teriyaki marinade, and I keep threatening that I will again resurrect the Blue Cheese dressing from memory, it was excellent.
When I was there, we made the kebob & Teriyaki marinade, cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, and the blue cheese dressing from scratch. The other salad dressings and the gravy for the mashed potatoes were 'canned'.
Some memory items:
Around 285 stores nationwide in about 1970
Meat was cut/portioned/frozen at Monfort in Greeley, CO (over 250,000 lbs/week) any stores that cut there own were working outside of franchise guidelines
Mr. Steak Corp had the world largest freezer at the time.
Black Russian was the hamburger patty served open faced on Black Rye (hence black russian) with melted swiss then sauteed onions.
Continental was supposed to always be served on light rye. To make your own, two patties, some shredded swiss, fresh mushrooms, but add a tiny dab of butter before assembling, that helps create that juice.
Teriyaki  - Soy sauce, garlic powder, brown sugar, water, simple
Kebob marinade - as in an earlier post, but no catsup, red wine vinegar is what was in it.
Blue cheese dressing: Sour cream, blue cheese crumbles, buttermilk, and it had a touch of MSG. The secret was letting it age a bit after it was put together.
Some of the dinner menu: Frontier steak 7oz, Mr Steak Sirloin 8oz, Filet Mignon 8 & 6oz, New York, 8 & 10 oz, T-Bone 12 & 16oz, Sirloin, 8 & 10oz, Chuckwagon (8oz ground sirloin) and let's not forget the Steak and Lobster which was the Frontier with two rock lobster tails and the Honey Dip't fried chicken.
Was I programmed or what? Heck, I still eat my Cheerios out of a Mr Steak chef salad bowl I still have. Anyway, enough prattling, feel free to ask me anything, unless you're a still angry former employee of mine. I'm sure there are still some out there looking for me.
Strider
Waitress76
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2011/01/04 14:11:38 (permalink)
I was a waitress at the Mr. Steak in Toledo, OH in the 70's.  My sister worked there too.  Still have a picture in my mini chefs hat.  Hated those uniforms, but the ugly brown ones that followed were worse.  I dated one of the cooks, at the time, who gave me the Kebob marinade recipe, but the receipe needs conversion as the amounts are huge.
rgilbertson
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2011/06/11 14:15:51 (permalink)
Could you share the kabob marinade recipe that you have? Please email to me at Ross@Gilbertson.org

Thanks!!!!
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2011/07/19 15:41:10 (permalink)
go to facebook and join us      ................  type in  
I Worked at a Mr.Steak Restaurant 
post edited by jerryhill444 - 2011/07/19 15:43:24
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2011/07/19 15:46:45 (permalink)
come join I worked at a Mr.Steak Restaurant on facebook
there are a few recipes there
badzuri
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2012/05/01 09:25:33 (permalink)
I worked at the Mr.Steak in Henrietta NY in the late 70's and cant remember the teriyaki recipe but I know it had soy sauce,pineapple juice,worshestershire sauce ect... Do you know the recipe?
SueQ
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2013/01/13 18:17:39 (permalink)
In 1980 I was a junior in high school and babysitting money was not enough to pay for car insurance and all the "stuff" girls need at that age.  My folks said why not apply at Mr. Steak in town, you won't be turned down as your uncle is the CEO and Founder..lol!!  Indeed it was an easy job to "get"...but I worked my buns off keeping it   I can't tell you how many of my friends from school and church got part time jobs there!!   I actually loved that job...I met my hubby there and I kept it all through college and went back (after two babies) when my husband was finishing grad school to help supplement the family income.  All in all, I worked a decade of my life there and by the time I left (we moved to a different part of the state) I had experience in every part of Restauranteur-ing.  I still miss the "Continental"...my husband attempts the re-creation of them every so often as well as the best teriyaki sauce ever.  I remember the prep cooks using tons and tons of pineapple juice with the soy sauce.  The secret was the "soaking".  Those 8oz strips soaked for days...delish!  I remember a crucial ingredient in the kabob marinade was the homemade french dressing! To this day, when we do kebabs in the summer I use a mixture of soy sauce and good french dressing.  Wonderful memories of my great family legacy that ended too soon! 
M Smith
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2013/05/22 18:01:53 (permalink)
I remember going to the Mr. Steak in St. Charles MO for several years in the early 90's.  It was the place that got me into steaks.  I used to get the Steak Cassidey, actually I would get two when I went there with my parents because they were so good and 1 did not fill me up.   My dad liked the Steak Dianne.  The last time I went there was 1996 when I was visiting my parents from college.  I remember the well in the front, all the rocks in the landscaping, they had a gun store near it.  Always had a great meal and experience there and ate a Birthday dinner at Mr. Steak.

Does anyone have the recipes for the steaks or what they did to those steaks or what kind they were.  I loved the taste of those steaks and have never had another one that had their taste, where they corn fed, marinated, seared with high heat, etc?
Mr.E
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2013/07/08 18:57:44 (permalink)
I am looking for the recipe for Caesar salad dressing from Mr. Steak. I can almost do it in my head but lack details. I worked in Marin Indiana store number 326 for 14 years 1978 till 1982 when it died. I am looking for the kebob sauce, cocktail, blue cheese and tarter sauce too.
Foodie0814
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2013/11/12 13:06:33 (permalink)
Hi Susan,

I found your posting from 2008 regarding Mr. Steak's Cesar salad dressing recipe.  A high school friend and I were talking today about our days working at mr steak and how great the dressing was.  That sent me on my search for the recipe.  If you still have it, I would love a copy. Although I am not willing to give up one of my children for it, I am happy to give you one her her kids in trade.  :) 

Thanks

susan1

I too worked at Mr. Steak all thru high school in the 80's in Denver area. (44th and Sheridan store #157?) I still have great memories of the people I worked with and for. I still have dreams of filling the salad bar, closing duties or changing into that horrific polyester uniform that had that steak smell. I have the cesar salad dressing recipe if anyone wants it. The coni (continental burger) was my favorite too! it was listed as swiss cheese and mushroom in the center. I also loved french fries dipped in brown gravy or sneaking ff from the nice cooks and we would dip in cesar dressing...ahhhhhh. those were the days!

roberoids
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2013/11/22 20:04:49 (permalink)
I know Jim Mather. He attends my church in Thousand Oaks, Ca.
He is alive and well and healthy as an ox.
ATTAWAY
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2014/06/26 19:19:20 (permalink)
I was the advertising agency for Mr.Steak Restaurants in Birmingham, Alabama, when they were thriving.  There were 6 locations (3 in Birmingham, 1 each in Huntsville, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa).  I would be interested to know if Jim Mather is still alive.   He is / was a great gentleman.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1