Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
2006/07/17 07:39:11 (permalink)

Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va

I realize that Mrs. Rowes does not seem to be anywhere as good as it used to be. But, the good news is that they still serve a wonderful breakfast and the portions are huge. We stayed at the motel next door and did not go there for dinner as we were not that pleased the last time that we had lunch there. But a large sign in front declared that they had been chosen by Southern Living Magazine as serving one of the best seven breakfasts in the South.

Three of us decided to have breakfast there yesterday and enjoyed every bite. The pancake that I tasted was light and fluffy and delicious. The butter was melted and hot and served in small cup to be poured over it. Someone else had eggs, delicious home fries, a huge slice of terrific country ham and thickly sliced homemade bread, toasted.

I saw that they had regular sized orders and "one and a half" orders of the sausage gravy and biscuits. I decided that the regular order must be fairly small so ordered that and some fried green apples on the side. When the waitress put my plate in front of me, I could not believe my eyes. The biscuits were huge. Two of them filled the plate and were loaded with gravy. The gravy was good and the biscuits were outstanding. (I was able to finish only half the order.) The coffee was served in a nice insulated pot so that we did not have to wait for refills and the sweet tea was served in a carafe.

It was a great experience.............I wish the breafast places around my area were as good!

5 Replies Related Threads

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va 2006/07/17 08:31:12 (permalink)
    I'm glad to hear it. I like that motel too. We will try their breakfast the next time through.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va 2006/07/17 09:49:14 (permalink)
    Any chance you could let us know where this place is and the name of the motel. I ment to say where abouts is Saunton Va. Thanks, Chow Jim
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va 2006/07/17 10:18:05 (permalink)
    Jim
    Staunton (note spelling) is at the junction of I-64 and I-81 (where I-64 heads East to Richmond) It is a short distance (30 miles) above Lexington,VA where I-64 heads off to the West).

I am glad to read that Mrs Rowes is doing something right! We posted one of several rather poor reviews of the dinner food and service. Nice to know that the breakfast was good.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    RE: Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va 2006/07/17 10:29:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Any chance you could let us know where this place is and the name of the motel. I ment to say where abouts is Saunton Va. Thanks, Chow Jim

The name of the motel is the Best Western and it is right next door to Mrs. Rowe's. Incidentally, this motel serves a very large (more than the average motel) breafast which comes with your room but I do not "do buffets" so did not eat there. If you ever stay there make sure and specify that you do not want a room in back. At least three trains went by during the night (The tracks are less than 50 feet from the motel) and the noice was deafening.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Mrs. Rowes, Saunton Va 2006/07/17 10:52:11 (permalink)

Greymo,
    Thanks for the notice on the motel. I guess thats one reason I enjoy the Roadfood comments so much... sometimes the differences in like and dislikes between people make a place sound better to some.
    A decent breakfast buffet included in the room at the motel is a plus for us, and I would be one who asks for a room close to the tracks because I love the sound/sight/smell of rail operations day or night.
    Different strokes etc etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1