Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ

Author
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
2007/05/27 09:27:18 (permalink)

Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ

I heard a rumor that they dad closed, I don't if anyone else has. So I drove up to Huntsville Tx on the way to Wellborn to check out Hullabaloo diner.

I am happy to report that they are still open the pits were blowin' and goin' and they are open Wed to Sat 11 to 6.

joe

12 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 10:51:51 (permalink)
    Texianjoe-
    I have heard of this place, but have never been there. Is the 'que as good as they say? It sounds like it would be a great Roadfood stop.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 13:28:57 (permalink)
    It is one of the best BBQ places around. As good as anything in Lockhart, Austin or Houston, especially the pork ribs. Not exceptional enough to go way out of your way, but if you are within couple of hours drive, it is worth it.

joe
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 13:32:59 (permalink)
    As good as anything in Lockhart? That is high praise! I am going to a Texas A & M football game this Fall. I will definitely stop in.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 14:18:31 (permalink)
    Sorry everyone. I have been calling it Mt. Zion it is New Zion Missionary. I never read the sigh, just knew where it was.

[url='texasfoodtv']http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3769238726965960037&q=zion+missionary+baptist+church+huntsville+texas[/url]

joe
    minilops
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 14:52:05 (permalink)
    Texianjoe,
    Did you try Hullabaloo Diner? My husband and I saw the episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" that featured the diner and couldn't believe it was here in College Station, Tx (Wellborn) where we live. The next week we went to try it out. We both ordered the Philly Cheesesteak, but a minute later the waitress came back and said there was only one cheesesteak left!! My husband graciously let me have it and he ordered a hamburger. He said the hamburger was okay, not as good as the hamburgers at Koppe Bridge on Wellborn Rd. in College Station. Since I have never had a "real" Philly cheesesteak, I have nothing to compare this one with, but that said, I thought it was pretty good. I have heard that the breakfasts are supposed to be quite good, so we will give it another try.
    If you are in College Station, I would definitely recommend you try Koppe Bridge!

Minilops (Allison)
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2007/05/29 15:16:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by minilops

Texianjoe,
    Did you try Hullabaloo Diner? My husband and I saw the episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" that featured the diner and couldn't believe it was here in College Station, Tx (Wellborn) where we live. The next week we went to try it out. We both ordered the Philly Cheesesteak, but a minute later the waitress came back and said there was only one cheesesteak left!! My husband graciously let me have it and he ordered a hamburger. He said the hamburger was okay, not as good as the hamburgers at Koppe Bridge on Wellborn Rd. in College Station. Since I have never had a "real" Philly cheesesteak, I have nothing to compare this one with, but that said, I thought it was pretty good. I have heard that the breakfasts are supposed to be quite good, so we will give it another try.
    If you are in College Station, I would definitely recommend you try Koppe Bridge!

Minilops (Allison)

I did make it. I had the chesse steak and my wife had a sausage sandwich. Both were very good. I am going to go back in a couple of weeks and try something else to check if they str consistent and let everyone know what happens. A friend from high school teaches at A&M fire school and told me about it several months ago, I just hadn't had the chance to go.

joe
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    RE: Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/11/29 19:10:02 (permalink)
    I just saw New Zion Baptist Church on Travel Channel's Rib Paradise...man I wish I had seen this before I drove through there, it looked absolutely amazing. Plus they seem like such great people.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/11/30 12:21:18 (permalink)
    Three - two things I want to say.

Isn't  New Zion AKA "The Church of the Holy Smoke?"

I grew up in Texas and still visit there some.  My wife's sister lives in Houston and we planned an excursion to Huntsville and the 'que.  It didn't make because we drove to College Station instead to visit a cousin and her family over lunch at a surprisingly good chain restaurant.  College Station was a half-way point between Houston and where the cousin lived.  But now I hope that minilops and TexianJoe will tell us more about the places in or near College Station.  We might meet cousin for lunch again.

Please report agian after your next visit!
    minilops
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/11/30 13:41:12 (permalink)
    Hi Okc,
       I live in College Station, so I can give you a short list of the places we like.  Here goes:
    Koppe Bridge Bar and Grill (11777 FM 2154 also called Wellborn Rd CS) - good hamburgers and fries
    Longhorn Tavern (downtown Bryan) - good chicken fried steak, burgers, and steaks
    BlueBaker (2 locations: 201 Dominic and 800 University CS) - good sandwiches and pizza, homemade bread
    Fish Daddy's (1611 University CS) - a small chain, but really good shrimp and fish

All the places except Fish Daddy's are local establishments, not chains and have been around for awhile.  Hope you have a chance to try one of them.  Let us know what you think!
    Minilops (Allison)

P.S. What was the "surprisingly good chain" you tried when in CS?
    post edited by minilops - 2009/11/30 13:42:51
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/11/30 22:14:58 (permalink)
    minilops -

It was Cheddars in College Station which had a crowd when we arrived for a late lunch and took care of us in good fashion.  There were six or seven us including one person who lives in the UK today.  It was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of Cheddars.

I'm going to make certain that my wife's sister sees your post.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/11/30 22:56:50 (permalink)
    ETR-
    I ate there last year.  The people were very nice, but found the ribs to be rather ordinary.  I have photos in my Texas trip report, if you care to see them.
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ 2009/12/01 08:18:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for that bufferbuster, too bad about the ribs but on the free pecan pie...I'd like a slice of that and the buttermilk!
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=394974

http://www.roadfood.com/R...erview.aspx?RefID=4157     
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1