Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mushrooms

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
Mushrooms Mon, 05/5/03 9:58 PM (permalink)
They are great and come in so many flavours. Grilled portabellos on the steak, morells right now, or just a heap of regular guys sauteed as a side dish. Know of any places that serve wild ones? Or the ones that change the world a little?

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
    RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/6/03 1:59 AM (permalink)
    Mushrooms *are* great and varied. I think it's just a matter of time before the general public catches on. Wild mushroom harvesting is a big deal out here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and you'll find it on the menus of the more expensive restaurants, but I haven't seen it trickle down to the Roadfood-type establishments.

Michael Stern

RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/6/03 4:34 AM (permalink)
      There used to be a place down in Reading, Pennsylvania, called Joe's that was all about mushrooms. The family that owned it harvested exotic wild ones, and you could eat a full dinner with mushrooms in every course (except dessert). It opened as a local bar in 1916; by the 1990s it was fairly upscale, with wine lists and linen tablecloths. Don't know if it's still there.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
        RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/8/03 8:04 AM (permalink)
        There is a restaurant called Hugo's Inn on Route 1 in Kennett Square, PA, that has a huge selection of mushroom dishes, including a small cast iron skillet filled with quartered sauteed mushrooms and a Philly cheese steak with peppers, onions, and melted provolone but with mushrooms instead of steak. You wouldn't think to stop there, it's just a big old whitewashed building. Inside is a knotty pine panelled big barroom with a little dining room in the back.

About 3 miles down the same road is the Phillips Mushroom Museum, where you can buy wooden baskets of just-harvested portobellas and other varieties at wholesale prices.

Edited to add that Hugo's closed its door in summer of 2006. Here's an article about their demise. Just wanted to update this thread so no one would try to go there and be disappointed.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17037293&BRD=2250&PAG=461&dept_id=451991&rfi=6

You could combine the two into one mushroom roadtrip.

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
          RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/8/03 8:51 AM (permalink)
          Miss Ruby;
          Thanks for the tip. I will divert on my way to Jersey later this summer.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
            RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/8/03 10:52 AM (permalink)
            I like 'shrooms alot Great taste and sucha variety !!!

I love to saute some in a skillet with butter, garlic and some vidalia onions !!!

When I was in college I worked as a part-time student groundskeeper to help defray costs and my supervisor was a neat guy. He knew how to select the proper wild mushrooms and I would follow him around and hold out my hat while he picked the proper ones ! It always amazed me, he knew just the right ones to pick. He was 60 something years old at the time, so obviously he knew the right ones to pick and he is still alive today ! (I was in college back in the late '70's)

Sundancer7

RE: Mushrooms Sun, 05/18/03 8:24 AM (permalink)
              I live in a hilly area in Knoxville, actually it is a peninsula with lotsa trees and shade. I was walking to my daughters house which is only about two blocks away and I was accompanied by my mother who is in her 80's. right beside the road was the mother lode of Morel's. Mom recoginized them immediately. We carefully broke them off and returned to mom's house immediately as she lives directly next door to me. We sliced and sauteed them. Great breakfast with the good Mello Joy coffee of Lafayette, LA

What a Spring time treat

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                RE: Mushrooms Mon, 05/19/03 12:07 PM (permalink)
                Oh morels, what a tresure! I get them from a roadside stand just south of Lake Geneva Wisconsin. I have't found a spot to find them "in the wild" close to home. Have you ever had a puffball mushroom? Very good! Paul, I am glad the mushrooms weren't ruined by the storms.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Mushrooms Mon, 05/19/03 4:10 PM (permalink)
                  I love Hugo's Inn in the mushroom capitol of the world, Kennett Square.
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by RubyRose

There is a restaurant called Hugo's Inn on Route 1 in Kennett Square, PA, that has a huge selection of mushroom dishes, including a small cast iron skillet filled with quartered sauteed mushrooms and a Philly cheese steak with peppers, onions, and melted provolone but with mushrooms instead of steak. You wouldn't think to stop there, it's just a big old whitewashed building. Inside is a knotty pine panelled big barroom with a little dining room in the back.

About 3 miles down the same road is the Phillips Mushroom Museum, where you can buy wooden baskets of just-harvested portobellas and other varieties at wholesale prices.

You could combine the two into one mushroom roadtrip.

RubyRose

RE: Mushrooms Mon, 05/19/03 8:38 PM (permalink)
                    CheeseWit, have you ever been to the Kennett Square mushroom festival? I haven't but remember seeing it on the Phila. news.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 9:06 AM (permalink)
                      RubyRose, I haven't. But it is on my list of things I want/need to do!
                      One thing that you should do as you drive down Rt.1 on your way to Kennett Square is stop at the Chadds Ford Winery.
                      quote:

CheeseWit, have you ever been to the Kennett Square mushroom festival? I haven't but remember seeing it on the Phila. news.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                        RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 6:10 PM (permalink)
                        Got two Morels playing Golf last night ...
                        Not the Mother lode, and they weren't growing in the fairway either
                        Yes I took Stroke & Distance

Sundancer7

RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 6:25 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by pigface

Got two Morels playing Golf last night ...
                          Not the Mother lode, and they weren't growing in the fairway either
                          Yes I took Stroke & Distance

Morel's are my favorite mushrooms

Walmart sells portobello's and a few other kinds.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                            RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 8:59 PM (permalink)
                            hey sundancer, if I read your post correctly, you turned around with your mother and never made it to your sister's house. yeow! I hope she doesn't like mushrooms. my sister would not be happy.

bill

Sundancer7

RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 9:03 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by bill voss

hey sundancer, if I read your post correctly, you turned around with your mother and never made it to your sister's house. yeow! I hope she doesn't like mushrooms. my sister would not be happy.
                              Mr. Voss: I was not going to my sisters house, it was my daughter and she does not cook like my mom. I go where the flavor is

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

bill

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                RE: Mushrooms Tue, 05/20/03 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                I reread it. yep. kids have no rights. I would have turned around too! happy eating.

JulesF

• Total Posts: 16
                                  RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/29/03 8:11 AM (permalink)
                                  Here's a tip for harvesters of wild mushrooms: collect them in a mesh bag or something with holes so the spores can escape and grow again next year! This was from a newspaper article earlier this spring. My dad in his 80's and still farming, hunts and collects morels every year (he also usually uses his hat to collect them.) Some years are a total bust, others are great. This year was good-he got 2-3 dozen, enough for our extended family of 10 to have a few with a meal. Mom flours them and fries them in butter. Dad is in his glory. And wouldn't you know only one of the four kids would even try them. Goody, we adults say. All the more for us.

My favorite mushroom the rest of the year is the deep fried appetizer variety. Beats fries and onion rings most days.

Sundancer7

RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/29/03 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                    We are always very careful when we collect Morel's. We shake them without bruising them in the enviornment they were growing.

The motherlode is precious and we want it to continue.

You can buy wood that is saturated with morel's to grow in your enviornment.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

JulesF

• Total Posts: 16
                                      RE: Mushrooms Thu, 05/29/03 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Sundancer7-I did not know you could buy Morel-saturated wood! Do you know where to get it? (I live in Ohio-north central area.) Great gift idea for Dad... Thanks for the info! JulesF

Sundancer7

RE: Mushrooms Fri, 05/30/03 8:09 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by JulesF

Sundancer7-I did not know you could buy Morel-saturated wood! Do you know where to get it? (I live in Ohio-north central area.) Great gift idea for Dad... Thanks for the info! JulesF

I really can't tell you. I was surfing one day and I came up on it. In addition they had several other species available.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                          RE: Mushrooms Fri, 05/30/03 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                          I think I have seen ads for growing mushrooms in Organic Gardening mag.

RubyRose

RE: Mushrooms Fri, 05/30/03 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                            No morels here but wouldn't this be a great gift for "the person who has everything" and likes mushrooms? Many years ago, I bought a button mushroom kit similar to these for my stepfather and he had so much fun watching them grow and then eating them.

http://www.mushroomadventures.com/kits.html

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                              RE: Mushrooms Wed, 06/4/03 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                              A few years back my brother gave me a bag of dirt and told me to keep it damp. It exploded with beautiful pink oyster mushrooms for months. I'm not sure where he bought it, but it was sure effortless.

As for the kind "that change the world a little" they grow wild on Vancouver island in the spring. But they are reputed to be one of the worst-tasting things on the planet.

muzzlehatch

• Total Posts: 73
                                                RE: Mushrooms Sat, 06/14/03 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by kland01s

Oh morels, what a tresure! I get them from a roadside stand just south of Lake Geneva Wisconsin. I have't found a spot to find them "in the wild" close to home. Have you ever had a puffball mushroom? Very good! Paul, I am glad the mushrooms weren't ruined by the storms.

Wow! Someone else who's had puffballs. I grew up in S. Wisconsin (near Beloit) and we had loads of puffballs and morels every year. Didn't realize just what a delicacy morels were until moving to Chicago and seeing them for $40 a pound or more (when you could get them). We ate them mostly just fried in butter w/salt and pepper. Simple and great.

Love all mushrooms. I've actually had truffles a couple of times as part of expensive dishes..I don't know if they're worth hundreds of dollars a pound, but I see (or taste) the appeal, certainly.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                                                  RE: Mushrooms Mon, 06/16/03 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  Joe's in Reading is no more. Several years ago I heard Jack Czarnecki moved to the Pacific northwest and may have opened a place out there.

DanaJ

• Total Posts: 71
                                                    RE: Mushrooms Sun, 10/19/03 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

I don't live far from there. I had planned on going to the festival one year, but when I found out the dates for it, we had already scheduled our vacation:(
                                                    Mushrooms are incredible, and I guess I'm pretty lucky to live right in the area of the mushroom capital! :)
                                                    My mouth waters at that thought of a portabella mushroom sandwhich. mmmm.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                      • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                      • Roadfood Insider

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                                        RE: Mushrooms Mon, 10/20/03 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        There is a vegetarian restaurant in Rockville, MD called Vegetable Garden that does great things with mushrooms. In season they usually have at least one dish centered around hen-of-the-woods mushrooms. And I'm not that into tofu, but they have something called tofu steak with mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce has every kind of mushroom you can imagine, including inoki, ****ake, and oyster.

I think chanterelles are my favorite.

BTW, Attention all your morel lover/hunters out there: hubby and I took a mushroom-identification class with the Audubon Naturalist Society and I learned that morels especially like to grow under and around tulip poplars.

Mushrooms rock!
                                                        Meowzart

DanaJ

• Location: Pottstown, PA
                                                          RE: Mushrooms Tue, 10/21/03 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by clothier

quote:

It's too bad it closed. My folks are from Reading, and for years we wanted to go there, and for years my grandfather said "it's a clip joint, you don't want to eat there." Eventually we ate there (he had died) and it was great. This was, of course, before I met my mushroom-fearing wife.

I'm not far from Reading. Pottstown area actually.
                                                          Although I never heard of the place, it sounds like something that would have been great.

DanaJ

• Location: Pottstown, PA
                                                            RE: Mushrooms Tue, 10/21/03 5:02 PM (permalink)

I've been to Pottstown. There's a pretty good sandwich shop there, isn't there? Nice italians, if my memory serves me. We are heading back to Reading next summer to show my kids (who'll be 6 and 4) where their grand parents are from.

There are a few good sandwhich shops. Can you remember the specific shop that comes to mind?
                                                            Yeah, Reading isn't far, right up 422. I only really go there a few times a year, if that, to get some stuff at Vanity Fair. Even that is rare.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com