Mussels/Brussels

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/03/08 13:49:53 (permalink)

Mussels/Brussels

I'm going to Belgium in a few weeks and I hear they specialize in Mussels (I also read that this is actually now for tourists because the actual mussles crop has pretty much dried up). Anyway, I know there are many different forms of mussel dishes (w/ garlic, w/white wine, etc.) So, to get me prepared, what are some of your favorite mussel dishes? I'll try them over there and report back....

10 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/08 14:21:59 (permalink)
    The mussels in Belgium are so good it is hard to throw stones but the great season is from October until December. Make sure you try the pommes frites w/ curry mayo also. The road side carts for the pommes frittes usually use duck fat...to die for.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/11 23:14:35 (permalink)
    I went to a Belgian restaurant in NYC tolday; Had delcious "Mussles Roquefort" which were mussels with celery, bacon (actually pieces of ham) and roquefort cheese. Very good. The had about 10 varieties.
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/12 08:30:13 (permalink)
    Having lived on the Belgian boarder for 4 years (Hon-Hergies) I ate a lot of "moules-frites". You will probably find the mussels in typical Belgian fashion......white wine, parsley and a little garlic. You will eat the first mussel out of it's shell, then use the empty shell as a utensil to eat the rest.

Where in Belgium are you going to be? I used to live there and I love Belgium.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/12 15:58:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Z.

We are overnight in Brussels, but one week in Bruges. I hear that it is a little "touristy" so I want to give it a week so we can discover the "real" city. We are staying in 2 different B&B's which look nice. We were going to rent an apartment for the week, but I think it is less work with the B&B (and more breakfast. I enjoy eating well, so we already have reservations for De Karmeleit, De Stove, Patrick Devos and De Florentine. Would you recommend anything else?

Would you recommend to go to Ghent or Antwerpe or Ooestende? I am content to stay in Brugge, I'm not into sightseeing, but I don't want to miss anything special.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/12 16:05:43 (permalink)
    I spent almost all my time in Arlon and therefore cannot be of much specific help. Find a local game restaurant (if that if that is your bent) and request boar, deer or hare for the next day.

The pommes frittes (french fries, which I feel insults the Belgiques) are wonderful and should be enjoyed at roadside stands as often as possible. Curry mayo, mayo and some absurd spray of PC acceptable crap for Americans are all there.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/12 16:16:09 (permalink)
    While you are there, be sure to visit one of the 4 or 5 trappist monasteries that brew some of the best beer in the world. I plan someday on making a pilgrimage there just for that specific purpose.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/12 17:10:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

While you are there, be sure to visit one of the 4 or 5 trappist monasteries that brew some of the best beer in the world. I plan someday on making a pilgrimage there just for that specific purpose.

O yes. Yesterday I ordered a Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet (triple brew of barley, wheat and oats) and it was fabulous. More to come!!!
    (maybe this should be moved to Where to Eat????).
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/13 02:27:33 (permalink)
    quote:

By all means! Especially the abbey at Chimay in the Ardennes, not too far from Bruxelles. By the way, the Zman post above was made by me, on the wrong laptop. Oops.

You will love Bruges. It's called Venice of the west as there are many canals. It's really not too touristy. There are several cathedrals there. Be sure to visit Church of Our Lady where you will find the exquisite sculpture of Madonna and Child by Michaelangelo. His only work of art to leave Italy in his lifetime. Look at her face. She is beautiful. The church also contains a painting of The Crucifiction of Christ by van Dyck.

Other beautiful places to visit in the area are Mons, Dinant and Namur. But be careful! There are two languages, French and Flemish. In Flemish, Mons is called Bergen. The road signs are equally as misleading.

A trip to Antwerp is always lovely, it's the diamond capitol of Europe.

Enjoy your stay in Belgium, it's a beautiful country with beautiful people who enjoy "la belle vie", beer and good food!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/13 10:44:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

O yes. Yesterday I ordered a Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet (triple brew of barley, wheat and oats) and it was fabulous. More to come!!!

I've also had the privilege of trying the Brouwerij Bosteels Tripel Karmeleit on tap (!) at Monk's in Philly, however it was much different than either Westmalle, Orval, or the other Trappists. It was almost like drinking a fruit salad. Very, very good (and filling, 1 did me for the evening) just completely different from a trappist ale. I don't think their brewery is in Bruges, though. I think Brouwerij is in Kirkstraat, or something to that effect. However, it's a rather small nation, with a very good rail system, so getting to these places even for a day trip shouldn't be difficult.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mussels/Brussels 2007/03/17 21:50:25 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

I've also had the privilege of trying the Brouwerij Bosteels Tripel Karmeleit on tap (!) at Monk's in Philly, however it was much different than either Westmalle, Orval, or the other Trappists. It was almost like drinking a fruit salad. Very, very good (and filling, 1 did me for the evening) just completely different from a trappist ale. I don't think their brewery is in Bruges, though. I think Brouwerij is in Kirkstraat, or something to that effect. However, it's a rather small nation, with a very good rail system, so getting to these places even for a day trip shouldn't be difficult.

Heaven....I just found Karmeleit at my local grocery store in NYC!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1