Mutton Pies

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
chiefljg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Mutton Pies 2007/03/12 09:33:09 (permalink)
There used to be a place on Ridge Rd in Kearney called Cameron's. They have meat pies, bridies, steak and kidney pies, steak and sausage pies...They have moved to Brick Twp down the shore.
chiefljg
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2007/03/12 09:42:20 (permalink)
cameronsofkearney.net
Chippie722
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Mutton Pies 2007/10/13 20:22:09 (permalink)
My family owned The Clifton Pie Shoppe which originated on Lakeview Ave., Clifton, NJ and
moved first to Mill and Slater Sts. in 1946 and then to Grand Street in Paterson, NJ until
the early 1960's when the business was sold.
In Paterson, we were called Susen's Pie Shoppe. Our specialties were individual Mutton Pies,
Steak Pies, Chicken Pot Pies [2 crust], and various Fruit Pies as well as regular sized Coconut Custard, Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, and other varieties of fruit pies. These were individual pies were oval shaped & all were entirely made by hand. [No machines involved]
Our competitors were Ashton's on Main St. near the Lackawanna RR Station and Taylor's on
Union Ave., both in Paterson, NJ. There's were machine processed and round shaped.
Many of the Scotch Lodges in the area, including Kearny, NJ, regularly ordered pies from
us for their different affairs and meetings. Many "deli's" and other food vendors, as far away as Greenwood Lake sold our pies.
There may be some people out there who remember us.
Lots of memories for me and nice to reminisce.
dmalfet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Mutton Pies 2007/10/24 08:34:34 (permalink)
We took the drive to Stewarts of Kearny this last Saturday. While they are not an exact match, they are close enough for us! While the "meat" in the pie is unidentifiable to me, I don't really care. We will be making regular jaunts to purchase these beauties. I'll have to look up Cameron's of Kearny, too.As far as I am concerned ,tho, Stewarts was just great. How wonderful to be able to buy them frozen and bringthem home and have them anytime I want!!

We cut them in half, too. My father-in-law used to put catsup on them.

My husband grew up off McBride Ave, in W Paterson and was a huge fan of Fallviews Texas Hots.We went to The Hot Grill in Clifton this time. REALLY liked it!
taylorpies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mutton Pies 2007/12/25 08:33:51 (permalink)
Hello, my name is James Taylor the son of the late Al Taylor of Taylor's Meat Pies in Paterson. My father sold the recipe to the Ashton family in 1990 after suffering a stroke and later died of a heart attact in September. I understand the building in Haledon where Ashton sold the pies burned down to the grown. I have the recipe home in my safe.I have the know how to make the pies and hopefully will soon in the near future.
Italianqtisme
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/01/22 19:58:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by taylorpies

Hello, my name is James Taylor the son of the late Al Taylor of Taylor's Meat Pies in Paterson. My father sold the recipe to the Ashton family in 1990 after suffering a stroke and later died of a heart attact in September. I understand the building in Haledon where Ashton sold the pies burned down to the grown. I have the recipe home in my safe.I have the know how to make the pies and hopefully will soon in the near future.

Hi Jimmy,

Don't know if you remember me but I lived a couple houses away from you. You used to hang out with my brother Richie. My father & I just came across this site & saw your post. We still LOVE mutton pies although they are not the original "Taylor Pies" As for right now we get them in Kearney. They're pretty good but I'm sure not mutton. Please let us know if you plan on doing anything with the recipe anytime in the near future. Would love to taste 1 again!!!

Thanks,
Debbie (Monzo)
werock
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/04/25 23:48:58 (permalink)
hey james its gary johnson, Harrys son i came across this web site and was reading into this and realized that this was you. i live in orlando now but was just wondering if there would be a way to get the recipe for the meat pies. my daughter loves to cook and she would really like to get the recipe to make them around the house for us. please let me know. i was wondering if i could get intouch with you either by e-mail or phone please let me know
quote:

rvtech
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/04/27 10:05:02 (permalink)
I used to live and work in paterson area,used to enjoy mutton pies.when I recently inquired about them someone told me that KIMMYS DELI on union ave,still sold them.I now live upstate n.y. . I would make the trip for some,they where worth it.
margene
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/05/21 14:00:43 (permalink)
Wow!!!! This is amazing. I was born and raised in Paterson, NJ. I grew up on Redwood Avenue and every week, my mother would send me to Taylor's on Union Avenue for mutton pies.
I tried the ones made at Kimmy's, they're okay, but they are not Taylor's.
I've just read the post from James Taylor who said he still has the recipe and is considering opening back up again. Oh, please do. Believe me, you'll have more customers than you can handle.
I will definitely be a weekly customer. When I used to hang out at The Wagon Wheel Bar on Preakness and Union Avenues, all the guys would chip in and we'd order about three dozen pies and spent the rest of the day stuffing our faces.
Do I remember Taylor's Pies? Are you kidding, we were raised on them.
margene
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/05/21 16:35:40 (permalink)
Click on my username and there will be a recipe for Scottish mutton pies.
*CookingisMyLife*
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/06/25 14:39:53 (permalink)
Oh my! I can't believe I stumbled upon this today. I was googling for mutton pie recipes and came across this. I am originally from NJ. I grew up on these pies.

My grandmother is an immigrant from Scotland. She went to Kearney a lot for the fish and chips but she (and my family) also made regular trips to patterson for the mutton pies. We also made regular trips to Haledon for Verp's rolls too (they have since changed their recipe - perhaps ownership or something else too).

I have not had mutton pies for at least 30 years now. I think I was told the reason was the shop was no longer there or something as I was much younger and can't recall the specifics. Some foods you remember from childhood and special trips. We moved away from NJ but we STILL made trips to these areas to pick up the foods to bring back home and share with friends in bulk.

In the times of the internet it'd be wonderful if there was a way of ordering online and having them shipped (packed frozen as food can be).

My Grandmother has since passed on now 2 years ago (and my grandfather longer then that). My mother would love to have some as would I. Maybe I could try my hand at making them. I can't wait to tell her about finding this thread online!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/06/25 16:33:24 (permalink)
I have never seen such a long string with so many posters with so few posts.

Luds
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/11/07 19:44:48 (permalink)
quote:

Luds
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2008/11/07 19:49:03 (permalink)
quote:

My parents and my wife's parents grew up in Paterson and we both were raised on Mutton Pies. Our kids love them. The last place we were able to get them was in North Haledon but that place no longer in business. Please let me know when you open up your new store. We are desperate to find real muton pies.
Haledon Hueck
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/08 12:15:07 (permalink)
I am just leaving to pick up mutton pies at Stewart's of Kearny in Kearny, NJ.  These are the authentic duplication of the Taylor Pies of Haledon.  They are $1.80 per pie or $21.60/dzn.  The true mutton (lamb) pie is kept frozen, but the ones most of us are familiar with were only called mutton, but were actually ground up beef pies, which adds to the confusion.  The beef pies are fresh made daily.  The website is Sales@stewartsofkearny.com.   Their Pt. Pleasant, NJ place told me on the phone they don't make mutton pies, and never bothered to tell me about their other location, so I'm making the trek to exit 15A on the pike. Their phone at the authentic store is 201-991-1436.  Now, after I eat one, or two, I'll add a note about the taste.   Yum!
jimb999
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/10 08:33:59 (permalink)
Hi Jim, I also grew up on Taylor pies, this is Jim Bariso, I lived on Marion Street. I have looked for anyplace that made meat pies but haven't found any that were the same.
Haledon Hueck
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/10 20:06:23 (permalink)
Bought two dozen mutton pies at Stewarts of Kearny.  They rate an 8/10 to Taylor's.  A little spicy, ground beef, sausage taste, perhaps a bit smaller, smaller hole in top.  They were precooked, but I popped 'em in the oven for another 15 minutes.  Served 'em with ketchup like I used to eat them.  I have shared them with a neighbor, also of Haledon, Ray Burns, to see what he thinks.    So much time in between that perhaps my memory can't recall every detail, but in general they're the same.

Is there any chance that Jimmy Taylor wants to sell his receipe since he never opened a place?  I'm interested.  Partners?    Let me know.
taylorpies
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/11 08:26:32 (permalink)

Wow, a blast from the past, how is your family?
taylorpies
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/11 08:31:40 (permalink)

Sorry, this recepe goes with me to my grave. I will only pass it on to other Taylor family members.
Bunnie
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/01/12 12:38:38 (permalink)
Hi Mr. Taylor and all Mutton pie lovers! 
I am in search of your pies to take with me to Houston, TX next week.  It appears that I will make the drive from NE PA to Kearny, to Stewarts.
Although she doesn't know it, I want to surprise my 100 year old grandmother who was raised on McBride Ave. in Paterson.  She often talks about Mutton pies, Taylor ham and Tastycakes!  As you can imagine, I do bring 2 out of 3 on my treks to Houston to see her. 
I grew up in her house in Cedar Grove, and fondly remember the pies. 
All the best in 2009!
Bunnie Roberts
mely
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2009/02/04 20:00:03 (permalink)
Hi Mr. Taylor,
I too grew up on Jane Street, just around the corner from Taylor's. We had your family's meat pies once a week - they were wonderful! I would love to encourage you and your family to begin making them again, there is nothing else like them in the world.
Hello to everyone who grew up in my old neighborhood. It was nice to see so many people have the same fond memories of Taylor's mutton pies.
irisveronese58
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2010/03/13 19:23:33 (permalink)
taylorpies

Hello James,

I grew up on Jasper Street right around the corner from your dad's store.  I remember you being in the store all the time as a little boy.    I loved those little pies and miss them.  I hope one day you decide to start making them  (the bean ones too) and restart your family tradition by opening Taylor's Meat Pies again.  I will be the first one on line.  

cleanalby
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2010/11/14 19:51:20 (permalink)
Hiya All,
     Wow, I remember Taylors. My Dad used to bring us there when we were kids. I grew up in South Paterson & Prospect Park Too. I loved these Mutton Pies. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I would bet that they would have won awards for such a good recipe.

Now I reside in Nashua, NH, but I grew up in South Paterson. Through the years I lived in Prospect Park, Nutley and Clifton to name a few in NJ. Sometimes Sometimes I went by the nick-name Albatron, and was known to also be called Kipper, I just think my buddy Denis used to get off calling me Albatron,  along with all the people from the Mudhole in Nutley, NJ. If anyone remembers me (Allen Cappon), email me. I also lived in Mill Rift PA, Port Jervis NY, Hollywood FLA. 

Seems like NJ is the only place for Mutton Pies, Taylor Ham, Hot Dogs all-the-way and Mussels from the pizza shop. I'm sure that I am missing a thing or two, but WTH, it's only a "Thing" or "Things".

post edited by cleanalby - 2010/11/14 19:54:36
cleanalby
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2010/11/14 20:29:33 (permalink)
taylorpies 

Hiya James,    Do you remember Bob Cappon or "Robert", that was my Father, he was a faithful customer of yours for years.  I worked for Pied Piper (The ice cream vending company that was in Hawthorne, behind the triangle diner) for years, and made it a point to have your Mutton pies for lunch at least twice a week. During the holidays, we always made it a point to stop in for some goodies. Sometimes we'd even sneak them into the Fabian theater. I'd give one of my limbs for that recipe LOL.

Did you & your family ever win anything for that recipe ?? Like from contests or any type of food forum ??

Thanks
Allen Cappone

post edited by cleanalby - 2010/11/14 20:32:46
frankie241
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/01/07 06:37:23 (permalink)
OMG they were great. I lived just blocks from there original place Union ave Paterson.
Need the recipe
Frank
frankie241
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2011/01/07 06:41:13 (permalink)
My God, Make the pies already. Everybody I know remember's and wants them!! I lived only blocks from Taylors Pies In Paterson Union ave.!!!!!!
Frankie D
PS Don't let them Disappear.
post edited by frankie241 - 2011/01/07 06:48:21
frankie241
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2011/01/07 07:17:58 (permalink)
If I had the recipe I would share it with the world. Why let a good thing die. Or at least I would somehow start making them again. While people still remember them.
My son and nieces and nephew have no Idea what they are and soon no one will know. You would have to introduce them all over again. Would not take much capital to start. It's one of the few food items that you could never make enough of if your the only maker. They are like a Bagel. Bagel shops do fine with just bagels.
Wish I could share the taste with my son and others that never had one.
I remember having to get there early or they would run out.
Frank De Santo  Paterson NJ
jameskoiman
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/01/17 22:34:33 (permalink)
I remember,my father used to bring the meat and bean pies home after work like once a week,they were so delicious I would love to find them some place now!
jameskoiman
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2011/01/17 22:46:19 (permalink)
Igrew up on these pies and miss them,I love to bake homemade bread and I am a great cook ,lets open up a meat pie shop,i'll work my ass off.
gmonks
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/02/11 22:52:21 (permalink)
couldn't believe i read the thead. i grew up on Belmont Ave near n 8th st and went to school no 14 and then No 5's.  I would go to Taylor's and buys mutton pies for lunch and bring some home after school.  they were great.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1