Mutton Pies

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/02/12 07:56:48 (permalink)
OK, Everytime this link comes up I am waiting for someone to post a recipe. Anyone out there have a recipe for mutton or lamb pies? I roasted a leg of lamb the other night and have leftovers. I am going to make scotch broth with the bone but I have enough meat to make something else.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/02/12 10:25:38 (permalink)
Oops! Never mind I just saw the thread with the recipes.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Recipe-for-Scottish-Mutton-Pies-m404485.aspx
jrtaylor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/03/13 21:30:41 (permalink)
I would like to thank all of the individuals for remembering my grandfather and his meat pies. I was very young and was not allowed to have any recipe or care to have it at the time since I always thought it would be around. The story I have is that as the price of mutton increased the family went to beef. As has been stated they were a sausage type meat, with many spices, encased in a pastry shell. My Uncle Bill Taylor had a candy store next door and my Grandfather Arthur had the meat pie business. I have told my wife about these treats many times and can still remember eating them in the car as we drove back to our home. There are not many of my family memebrs left in the Paterson area, but I thought they were still making them some where. I hope you all get a chance to find them and enjoy them as we did
lovemyboxerz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Mutton Pies 2011/05/29 12:15:50 (permalink)
jrtaylor

I would like to thank all of the individuals for remembering my grandfather and his meat pies. I was very young and was not allowed to have any recipe or care to have it at the time since I always thought it would be around. The story I have is that as the price of mutton increased the family went to beef. As has been stated they were a sausage type meat, with many spices, encased in a pastry shell. My Uncle Bill Taylor had a candy store next door and my Grandfather Arthur had the meat pie business. I have told my wife about these treats many times and can still remember eating them in the car as we drove back to our home. There are not many of my family memebrs left in the Paterson area, but I thought they were still making them some where. I hope you all get a chance to find them and enjoy them as we did

Hi James-I lived on Union Ave-my dad owned the butcher shop. His name was Joe Springfield.  Mutton pies were a staple in our lives-miss them!!!
Bring them back!!!

markdevis33
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Mutton Pies 2011/06/27 02:46:11 (permalink)
Have a look at this recipe hope so it will help you!!! Happy Cooking!!!
Mutton Pies
Ingredients for Filling:
12oz lean mutton (lamb is a suitable alternative)
6 tablespoons meat stock or gravy
Seasoning (Salt & Pepper)
Ingredients for Pastry:
8oz plain flour
2oz lard/vegetable fat
2fl oz water
2 fl oz milk
1 egg yolk(glazing)
Method:
Preheat oven to 375F. Then chop the meat finely(some prefer the meat to be minced) and season well. Set this aside
Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Heat the lard, water and milk together in a saucepan. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the melted lard mixture. Mix then knead together until smooth. Roll out approx 2/3 of the pastry onto a floured surface. Cut into 6 circles and press into small pie dishes or "patty" tins
Spoon the meat mixture into each along with a spoonful of the stock/gravy. Cut the remaining dough into lid size for the pies. Seal the edges with water then place a small steam hole in the top of each pie lid. Brush with an egg yolk to glaze and cook for 30-40 minutes until the meat is cooked through and the pies are light golden in colour.
As with all recipes which involve cooking and baking a sensible approach must be taken especially when dealing with warm or hot (temperature) ingredients. If you are unable to take due care, please do not attempt to make any of these recipes. All recipes are tried at your own risk.
For US to UK equivalents for food weights and measurements see this rough
Whilst these recipes may be freely used they may NOT be reproduced in any format (for example -electronic or paper based) without the website owners PRIOR agreement.
cameron'spies
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/01/21 16:27:55 (permalink)
you can also get them in Brick NJ at Cameron's Scottish foods www.cameronsscottish.com
ncnurse
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2012/03/22 11:28:37 (permalink)
Taylor Meat Pies were the best.  I understand that the company has long since been out of Paterson.  I have researched this many times and I heard there is a store called Stewarts in Kearny, NJ who sell them.  Not the original by any means, but a close second from what I hear.  I would give anything to taste one of them again.  I am sitting here and my mouth is watering.  When people hear the word Mutton.. they immediately turn their nose up.......but you have to experience this unique taste to know what we are all talking about.

If anyone has anymore information as to where you can get other brands, please email me.  Would appreciate it.   Barbara
MUTTON MAN
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2012/04/21 09:00:07 (permalink)
TO ALL MY MUTTON PIE LOVERS    I FOUND THE REAL TAYLORS MUTTON PIE IN A TOWN NEAR THE ORIGIONAL LOCATION E MAIL FOR MORE INFO    I ATE 2 LAST NIGHT     ONE WITH KETCHUP    AND ONE WITH OUT

MMMMM MMMMMM  GOOD
MUTTON MAN
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4332
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/04/21 10:49:32 (permalink)
Good Lord.  Mutton Pie is easy to find.  Just follow the stench.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/04/22 02:17:21 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Good Lord.  Mutton Pie is easy to find.  Just follow the stench.

The only thing worse than eating a Mutton Pie is eating 2 Mutton Pies!
deesakers
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/04/25 19:12:44 (permalink)
James hello.  My name is Donna Taylor I am your cousin.  My dad was Roland Taylor.   Arthur Taylor was my grandpop. I have been trying to trace some of the family and my brother told me about this.  My brother is David Taylor.  I use to go the shop on Union Ave to see grandpa and all my uncles.  Harry, Albert, Art.  My dad was the delivery man back then. Also Uncle Bill had the candy store next to the shop.  I am giving you this info so you know that I am related to you.  I didnt know the pies were so popular today.  I lived on Jasper St.  We use to go to your house alot.  Your brother Albert and your sister Lois we knew better as you were still quite young.  I would love to get with you some time to get the receipe.   This is great. 
breejim
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2012/06/04 11:50:39 (permalink)
Hey Mutton Man My Sister lives in Haldon. We grew up in Paterson and were raised eating Taylor's &  Aston's meat pies. We would love to know were to get some of those great Mutton Pies. Please let me know where to get them. Thank you  Jim
MUTTON MAN

TO ALL MY MUTTON PIE LOVERS    I FOUND THE REAL TAYLORS MUTTON PIE IN A TOWN NEAR THE ORIGIONAL LOCATION E MAIL FOR MORE INFO    I ATE 2 LAST NIGHT     ONE WITH KETCHUP    AND ONE WITH OUT

MMMMM MMMMMM  GOOD
MUTTON MAN

vwgto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Mutton Pies 2012/06/11 10:40:18 (permalink)
As a kid I was not brave enough for the meat pie.  My Dad would also get a few bean pies as well.  He would pick them up when we would pass-thru Paterson.   I remember the small brown paper bags, and peering into that small hole in the top of the pie to check which one it was.....
Ramden
Junior Burger
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/10/01 15:53:58 (permalink)
I am not even sure you will see this James .When I was a kid before school I used to go to the Pie shop when it was next to Chi Chi's Lunchonette .Watching them make the pies every morning helped me choose my profession.I started baking when I was 14 because of them and have been in the business one way or another for the last 33 years.I respect the choice to keep the recipe secret ,but I believe there are people from that time that wish many days they had the comfort of a Taylor pie. My favorite part was when they took the pies out of their individual pans the left behind pieces of crust on  the tray .Hopefully one day we can be blessed with that type of quality again.Over the years I have often thought about those 2 guys that made those wonderful pies .I walked passed the store everyday on my way to St.Mary's .Most days I would be late just because I never wanted to leave the store.
jackhammer9001
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Mutton Pies 2012/11/23 15:05:43 (permalink)
OMG. I can't even believe that I found this today. It brought back wonderful memories of Taylor's meat pies. My first taste was in the 60's as a young boy. My Grandpa brought me there and I thought what a weird little place this is and what are those weird little pies? well needless to say I was immediately hooked. I grew up eating them and I used to stop regularly on Union Ave and buy em' by the sackful. Every time I went in those Taylor boy's were always working their butts off. After Union Ave closed down I found them on Belmont Ave. Oh joyous Mutton Pies.  I loved them!....Then I was crushed that the store burnt down.  I figured that was the end of an era and the legendary Taylor's pies. I am going to Stewarts in Kearney tomorrow to try their pies but I doubt they will be as good. I NEED TAYLOR'S MUTTON PIES......... Please James REOPEN A STORE or SELL ME THE RECIPE! 
johngaeto1
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2013/01/02 15:04:20 (permalink)
i can remember eating Taylor Pies in the late 1940s early 50s. i can rember the sign that said don't put on car seat (grease would stain seats). there was a movie theater close to the store the PLAZA and after a Saturday show i would spend .25 cents. i think i remember a counter at the window.
irisveronese58
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Mutton Pies 2013/01/09 18:57:35 (permalink)
Hi James,  I don't know if you read my post last year.  I grew up on Jasper Street and I went to school #5  with you!  My name was Lisa Ferro.  I lived with my grandparents.  They would take me to the store several times a week. I remember you hanging out there after school.  My dad had red hair and it was also his nickname.  Maybe that will jog your memory.

I just loved those pies!  Wish I could taste one again.

Lisa ne Ferro

lovemyboxerz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Mutton Pies 2013/01/09 19:16:59 (permalink)
Hi Lisa-My grandfather and aunt and uncle lived on Jasper.  That would have been the late 40's and early 50's-maybe into the 60's a bit.  My dad owned the butcher shop on Union and until I was 5yrs old, I lived above the store.  I grew up on mutton pies!  I can only hope one day James' family decides to start making them in this area again!
irisveronese58

Hi James,  I don't know if you read my post last year.  I grew up on Jasper Street and I went to school #5  with you!  My name was Lisa Ferro.  I lived with my grandparents.  They would take me to the store several times a week. I remember you hanging out there after school.  My dad had red hair and it was also his nickname.  Maybe that will jog your memory.

I just loved those pies!  Wish I could taste one again.

Lisa ne Ferro

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Mutton Pies 2013/01/10 21:05:01 (permalink)
Mutton pies were a product of the times. A time when Mutton was readily available in this area (it's not anymore ) cost-effective (no more since scarce equals $ these day) and outside a very enthusiastic small following (that are old enough to remember) not many people want a Mutton pie. It would never make any business sense.

I'm sorry...but that really is true.
almanzo
Junior Burger
Re:Mutton Pies 2013/04/12 17:15:02 (permalink)
Looking for the Ashtons or one of the taylors that would be interested in selline pies wholesale and retail again, 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1