The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 109 of 109
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Mon, 09/22/08 8:49 PM (permalink)
1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip. Yes
2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog. Yes
3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee. No. I would rather put coffee in my sugar
4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium. Yes
5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs. Yes
6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs. Yes
7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn.No
8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad. No
9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar. Yes
10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.Yes
11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything. Eww Miricle whip.
12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili It does not matter. I do not like chili
13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak. No. I like sauce on any steak.

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
    RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Thu, 09/25/08 9:13 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Here are some different ones...

1) Thou shalt always be thankful for food served graciously, regardless of how it tastes.
    2) Thou shalt make sure others are served enough before taking seconds. Thou shalt mentally calculate thy share when serving thyself communally, and take a little less.
    3) Thou shalt not be a food snob. Which is not the same as thou being choosy; the difference is thy attitude. It is good for thou to be choosy, it is bad for thou to have an attitude about it.
    4) Thou shalt take pleasure in friends and family gathering about food. This pleasure is primal and universal.
    5) Thou shalt learn to cook well. Understanding is a virtue, and knowledge is power. Thou shalt use thy new found power wisely and genially for others.
    6) Thou shalt understand that baking is part science and part witchcraft. Those who have mastered this art are to be revered, and their products are to be eaten.
    7) Thou shalt try to seduce and marry one of the bakery witches. Failing that, thou shalt try to seduce and marry one of their brothers or sisters.
    8) Thou shalt keep one's kitchen clean.
    9) Thou shalt try new things; a nibble, anyhow. Again, thou shalt use thy head; thou need not try to out-Bourdain Bourdain. But it is OK to try just a nibble of that fish stew. Thou might enjoy it. Or not, but now thou knowest.
    10) Thou shalt be allowed to break these commandments within reason, when breaking them does not injure thy friends either physically or emotionally. It is OK for thou to break them in private, as thou sees fit. For example, thou may accept thy neighbor's gift of jellied English eels graciously, and then in private refuse to nibble and also scoff at thy neighbor for eating such a thing... but graciously, thankful for the gift, and in private. As a corollary, thou art allow to lie about how good it was.

So well said, A lesson for all.

No Talent

• Total Posts: 262
      RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Fri, 09/26/08 8:11 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
      Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
      Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
      Originally posted by sizz

#11. Thou Shalt not eat food within 1/2 mile of a Interstate Hwy. Mortal sin rule applies on I-80 and I-95

Sizz, I have a quibble with this one. Even though our interstate highway system is rife with proliferation of all things chains, there is still some wonderful food to be found right off those exit ramps. For instance, my last Roadfood experience, at Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe, is a heavy stone's throw from I-25. That and many other establishments probably listed on this website would be immediately disqualified.

I think he's talking about big city places.
      if you get much more than 1/2 mile off I-5 where I live,
      You could quickly be talking to Mr. Bear and Mrs. Cougar.

And he obviously forgot about the In-N-Outs. I do not think any exist that aren't within a 1/2 mile of a freeway.

I never thought about that, but I think you're right except for the one next door to Hooter's at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco.

It's also only one of two without a drive thru. The other one has one but has never been used because the neighbors on the opposite side from the freeway successfully blocked it.

I wonder if there is another one not visible from the freeway.

Does anyone know ?

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
        RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Fri, 09/26/08 8:16 AM (permalink)
        1. No with family and close friends, yes to all others..
        2. No
        3. No
        4. Yes
        5. Yes
        6. No - if you mean pre-cooking, Yes if you mean they must be finished on a grill.
        7. No, you must not have kids.
        8. Yes. And just don't make tuna salad. It sucks anyway.
        9. Yes
        10. No
        11. Yes
        12. No
        13. Yes

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
          Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Mon, 10/8/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
          Russ Jackson
          11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything.

Miracle Whip destroys any brand of mayonnaise in a blind taste test and is therefore an excellent replacement for mayonnaise anywhere. And BLTs absolutely, positively require Miracle Whip! 

In general though, leave the Ten Commandments to those anointed for the job. Stick to your day job of delivering the ball to open receivers. 

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
            Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Mon, 10/8/12 6:20 PM (permalink)
            Hepcat

Russ Jackson

Miracle Whip destroys any brand of mayonnaise in a blind taste test and is therefore an excellent replacement for mayonnaise anywhere. And BLTs absolutely, positively require Miracle Whip! 

In general though, leave the Ten Commandments to those anointed for the job. Stick to your day job of delivering the ball to open receivers. 

Very nice lmao. I am amazed how many prople think I am serious about this thread. Block That Punt!

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
              RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Mon, 10/8/12 7:16 PM (permalink)

1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip.
              Agree.  Unless I'm eating by myself or just with Janet. 

2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog.
              Agree, but Janet does this. 

3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee.
              We don't drink coffee, but if we did, it would need a lot of sugar. .... Like a Cuban cortadito or Cafecito.   

4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium.
              Disagree.  We realize we're in the minority here, but we like our meat cooked all the way through, rather than only half-way done. Red juices are blood.  We're not into eating raw blood.   :)

5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs.
              Agree.

6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs.
              Agree, but steamed and then finished on the grill is okay. 

7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn.
              Strongly Disagree.   Microwave popcorn is pretty nasty!  We only make "real" popcorn in a pot on the stovetop.  However, using the microwave to melt some butter to pour on the popcorn is okay.

8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad.
              Agree.  Also should not ruin tuna or potatoes with mayo as many do.  Tuna shoud be done as steaks on a grill, and potatoes can be mashed, boiled, baked, etc..... but never ruined with nasty mayo, as is done in most potato salads. 

9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar.
              Agree.

10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.
              Disagree.  It's my personal pickle jar that only I use.  :) 

Agree.  No mayo, either :)

12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili
              Agree!

13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.
              Agree!

Glenn

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Mon, 10/8/12 10:32 PM (permalink)
                No Talent

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by desertdog

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by bill voss

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by tamandmik

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by sizz

#11. Thou Shalt not eat food within 1/2 mile of a Interstate Hwy. Mortal sin rule applies on I-80 and I-95

Sizz, I have a quibble with this one. Even though our interstate highway system is rife with proliferation of all things chains, there is still some wonderful food to be found right off those exit ramps. For instance, my last Roadfood experience, at Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe, is a heavy stone's throw from I-25. That and many other establishments probably listed on this website would be immediately disqualified.

I think he's talking about big city places.
                if you get much more than 1/2 mile off I-5 where I live,
                You could quickly be talking to Mr. Bear and Mrs. Cougar.

And he obviously forgot about the In-N-Outs. I do not think any exist that aren't within a 1/2 mile of a freeway.

I never thought about that, but I think you're right except for the one next door to Hooter's at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco.

It's also only one of two without a drive thru. The other one has one but has never been used because the neighbors on the opposite side from the freeway successfully blocked it.

I wonder if there is another one not visible from the freeway.

Does anyone know ?
                Ine In N Out in Alhambra, California is not visible from the freeway. Neither is the one in Rosemead.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                  RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Thu, 10/11/12 7:26 PM (permalink)
                  My food commandments,

10 print "Do what ever you prefer when it comes to food. There are no rules"
                  20 goto 10
                  Run

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                    Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Thu, 10/18/12 4:20 PM (permalink)
                    Nope, don't agree...

my ONE commandment of food

De gustibus non est disputandum

slaveforpizzaandsushi

• Total Posts: 58
                      RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Fri, 10/26/12 11:32 AM (permalink)
                      Best answer on here..oh your sense of humour is stellar.

slaveforpizzaandsushi

RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Fri, 10/26/12 11:34 AM (permalink)
                        my comment was for Michael Hoffman from his post on the first page of this thread.

slaveforpizzaandsushi

RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Fri, 10/26/12 11:40 AM (permalink)
                          Mosca

Here are some different ones...

1) Thou shalt always be thankful for food served graciously, regardless of how it tastes.
                          2) Thou shalt make sure others are served enough before taking seconds. Thou shalt mentally calculate thy share when serving thyself communally, and take a little less.
                          3) Thou shalt not be a food snob. Which is not the same as thou being choosy; the difference is thy attitude. It is good for thou to be choosy, it is bad for thou to have an attitude about it.
                          4) Thou shalt take pleasure in friends and family gathering about food. This pleasure is primal and universal.
                          5) Thou shalt learn to cook well. Understanding is a virtue, and knowledge is power. Thou shalt use thy new found power wisely and genially for others.
                          6) Thou shalt understand that baking is part science and part witchcraft. Those who have mastered this art are to be revered, and their products are to be eaten.
                          7) Thou shalt try to seduce and marry one of the bakery witches. Failing that, thou shalt try to seduce and marry one of their brothers or sisters.
                          8) Thou shalt keep one's kitchen clean.
                          9) Thou shalt try new things; a nibble, anyhow. Again, thou shalt use thy head; thou need not try to out-Bourdain Bourdain. But it is OK to try just a nibble of that fish stew. Thou might enjoy it. Or not, but now thou knowest.
                          10) Thou shalt be allowed to break these commandments within reason, when breaking them does not injure thy friends either physically or emotionally. It is OK for thou to break them in private, as thou sees fit. For example, thou may accept thy neighbor's gift of jellied English eels graciously, and then in private refuse to nibble and also scoff at thy neighbor for eating such a thing... but graciously, thankful for the gift, and in private. As a corollary, thou art allow to lie about how good it was.

this is by the far the most gracious of the list of commandments. I posting this on my FB

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                            Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Tue, 10/30/12 8:43 PM (permalink)
                            1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip.  AGREE
                            2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog.   AGREE
                            3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee.  DISAGREE
                            4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium.   DISAGREE
                            5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs.   DISAGREE (I don't do it but have seen it done on TV)
                            6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs.   DISAGREE (although I usually grill them)
                            7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn. DISAGREE (but I would NEVER MICROWAVE POPCORN
                            8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad.  AGREE
                            9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar.   AGREE
                            10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.  AGREE
                            11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything. AGREE
                            12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili   AGREE
                            13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   DISAGREE (I usually put it on the side but DO cook with it)

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                              RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Sat, 11/10/12 5:54 PM (permalink)
                              agree with all except number 8.  Potato salad is great with eggs, as is tuna salad.  Niether are mandatory, but it does improve it.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Sat, 11/10/12 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                BackRhodes

1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip.  AGREE
                                2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog.   AGREE
                                3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee.  DISAGREE
                                4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium.   DISAGREE
                                5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs.   DISAGREE (I don't do it but have seen it done on TV)
                                6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs.   DISAGREE (although I usually grill them)
                                7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn. DISAGREE (but I would NEVER MICROWAVE POPCORN
                                8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad.  AGREE
                                9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar.   AGREE
                                10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.  AGREE
                                11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything. AGREE
                                12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili   AGREE
                                13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   DISAGREE (I usually put it on the side but DO cook with it)

13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   [I would accept a BĂ©arnaise sauce or Clarified Butter. But not an A1 type Sauce...LOL

Jenniferyoung2

• Total Posts: 35
                                  RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Sun, 11/11/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                  1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip.   I agree with Ann.
                                  2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog.  Sometimes I do, out of habit, but it really adds nothing.
                                  3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee.  A little and love Hazelnut creamer.
                                  4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium.  I think Medium is just right.  Don't like blood and raw much, but with steak, I'll deal with a little pink.
                                  5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs.  Agreed!
                                  6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs.  Grilled is best, IMO.
                                  7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn.  Disagree. 
                                  8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad.  I like eggs in my salads.
                                  9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar.  Agreed and extremely anal about this one.  I don't want jelly in my peanut butter or vice verse.
                                  10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.  Agreed, but nobody follows this rule, so I don't eat pickles out of the jar, unless I just opened it.
                                  11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything.  Really don't care.
                                  12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili.  Disagreed, although, being a meat eater, I prefer all meat chili.
                                  13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   Ehhhh.... I am not a fan of steak sauce, but sometimes I enjoy it.
                                    And my #1`food commandmant?
                                       Put love into into the cooking and care for the food as stated!  I can't stand people leaving dairy based products out.  If it says "refrigerate after opening,"  refrigerate after opening!  The manufacturers should know! 
                                       And anytime something is cooked with love, the feeling created throughout is love and even burnt food cooked with love tastes better than the best fried chicken or steak that has no soul. 

Jenniferyoung2

• Total Posts: 35
                                    RE: My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Sun, 11/11/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                    1. Thou Shalt not Double Dip.   I agree with Ann.
                                    2. Thou Shalt not put Ketchup on a Hot Dog.  Sometimes I do, out of habit, but it really adds nothing.
                                    3. Thou Shalt not put Sugar in Coffee.  A little and love Hazelnut creamer.
                                    4. Thou Shalt not cook a Steak greater than Medium.  I think Medium is just right.  Don't like blood and raw much, but with steak, I'll deal with a little pink.
                                    5. Thou Shallt not Boil Ribs.  Agreed!
                                    6. Thou Shalt not Boil Bratwurst or Hot Dogs.  Grilled is best, IMO.
                                    7. Thou Shalt not use a Microwave for anything other than Popcorn.  Disagree. 
                                    8. Thou Shalt not put Eggs in Tuna or Potato Salad.  I like eggs in my salads.
                                    9. Thou Shalt not put the Peanut Butter knife in the Jelly Jar.  Agreed and extremely anal about this one.  I don't want jelly in my peanut butter or vice verse.
                                    10. Thou Shalt not put Fingers in the Pickle Jar.  Agreed, but nobody follows this rule, so I don't eat pickles out of the jar, unless I just opened it.
                                    11. Thou Shalt never use Miracle Whip on or in anything.  Really don't care.
                                    12. Thou Shalt not put Beans in Chili.  Disagreed, although, being a meat eater, I prefer all meat chili.
                                    13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   Ehhhh.... I am not a fan of steak sauce, but sometimes I enjoy it.
                                      And my #1`food commandmant?
                                         Put love into into the cooking and care for the food as stated!  I can't stand people leaving dairy based products out.  If it says "refrigerate after opening,"  refrigerate after opening!  The manufacturers should know! 
                                         And anytime something is cooked with love, the feeling created throughout is love and even burnt food cooked with love tastes better than the best fried chicken or steak that has no soul. 

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                      Re:My 13 Commandments of Food. Do you Agree? Sun, 11/11/12 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                      Russ Jackson

13. Thou Shalt not put Steak Sauce on Prime Cut of Steak.   [I would accept a BĂ©arnaise sauce or Clarified Butter. But not an A1 type Sauce...LOL

I make a buttered herb sauce for my steak with a touch of Dijon and garlic. No to most of the others.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 109 of 109

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com