My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 11:37:50 (permalink)
Molasses Cookies
--these are cake-like, like a lot of PA Dutch cookies are.

1 bottle molasses (not black strap)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup shortening
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash salt
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 egg, beaten

Mix shortening and molasses on medium speed of mixer (don't panic, they really won't incorporate very well). Add egg. Dissolve baking soda and cream of tartar in buttermilk and add to molasses mixture. Then add cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Brush with egg. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 11:38:38 (permalink)
Where's the "Bah, Hamburg"?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3902
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 13:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Ed: This is the only time of year I ever make Gravlaks. But, if there is any Gin involved it goes into me, not the salmon.

Cheers, John

John,
Ya gotta let the fish have some fun too!
Ed
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 13:53:48 (permalink)
I just gained three pounds reading these recipes. I don't do tons of holiday stuff because I don't celebrate Christmas (did make molasses cookies last weekend though for people at work). And my daughter makes some bangin' chocolate glazed mini-loaves for anyone she's not P.O.'d at during the holidays (she's a teenager; she's P.O.'d at almost everyone at any given time). But they're from the Land O' Lakes site and they're not an original family recipe, so it might not be a good idea for me to post it here. You could go to the site, though and look 'em up! Let me know if interested and I'll type it out here with no problem.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 14:40:23 (permalink)

RAISIN BREAD

old family recipe...

INGREDIENTS(PER LOAF)
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking POWDER
1/2 cup butter/margarine/shortening (1 stick)
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

About 12-14 hours before baking:

Put raisins in large bowl with soda on top..add BOILING water and cover with foil-let raisins soak 12-14 hours

ALSO: mix sugar and cinnamon together and store

12-14 hours later

mix together sugar/butter/eggs/vanilla...then slowly add flour/powder mixing thouroughly..yes it WILL start getting dry..when it does start adding raisins into the mix until mixture is complete and gloppy! put mix into medium size loaf pans with 1/4 tbsp of oil in them and bake at 350...check loaf(s) after an hour with toothpick/sharp knife..when ALMOST done, take loaf(s) out of oven and cover with cloth....let stand for about an hour...loaf SHOULD then pop right out of the pan-cool covered onwire rack...then ENJOY!!!

GREAT with butter..cream cheese...and it SHOULD be solid enough to toast...

WARNING: this will give your house the smell of cinnamon for HOURS.....

optional additions: crushed walnuts, chocolate chips

this has been known to cure just about anything....our mailperson and UPS driver just LOVE getting this is instead of $$$
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 15:50:30 (permalink)
Man..this is turning out great. And I've got it down to a precision assembly line process now: Copy, C:\Documents and Settings\Janeen\Desktop\Roadfood Holiday Cookbook\ Whatever the type of recipe\New Folder\Insert screenanme\Open folder left click\right click\new text document\Paste\Save as...........NEXT!!!!
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 17:19:05 (permalink)
Yall!

What a great idea! Here's my favorite. I give it to everybody. It's from "Charleston Receipts" 2nd ed.

Tut's Toffee (I do not know Tut, but wish I did)

Line up 35 saltines 5 across, 7 down, all touching, on a baking sheet with a rim. Melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave. Add 3/4 cup of brron sugar to butter, mix. Pour over crackers. Bake on 400 for 20 minutes or until the cracker edges start to brown a little. Remove from oven, and, while it's still hot, sprinkle over 1-2 cups of chocolate chips. Wait about 10 minutes, then smear the chocolate all over the crackers, and sprinkle around any kind of tree-grown nut you so choose. Yum and I'm not kiddin.
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 18:06:24 (permalink)
Shanklemsw I have been trying to find the cookbook that Toffee recipe was in ever since we moved here over 2 years ago. When the kids were little it was a perfect treat to make for the holidays when they wanted to "help" because there was no boiling anything and the toffee was really good. Thanks for posting it!!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/11 22:46:24 (permalink)
That toffee sounds great!!! I think I gotta try some of that, too.

Keep 'em coming, people!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 06:38:13 (permalink)
This is a great breakfast recipe---easy to fix and not very time consuming--works really well on a busy Christmas morn---just mix it up and stick it in the oven---and its GOOD!

Berkshire Apple Pancake
2 1/2 apple, peeled cored and chopped
1/2 apple, cut in thiin spirals for garnish
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
5 tablespoons sugar
2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
warm maple syrup for serving

1. Preheat oven to 450

2. mix together the egg,flour,baking powder salt,sugar,milk,vanilla,cinnamon and chopped applesstir weell to a lumpy batter

3. Melt butter in a 10" iron skillet--pour batter into skillet and arrange apple spirals on top

4. Bake for 15 mins. Reduce temp to 350 and continue baking for 40 mins---toothpick test---sprinkle brown sugar on top --slice into wedges and serve with warm sryup

i actually like this with pears better!!!
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 07:22:38 (permalink)
CAPISTRANO CRANBERRY RELISH

Redolent with the citrusy goodness of this former citrus growing town.

Grind or process:

2 lg red apples
2 lg oranges
1 med lemon
1 pkg fresh cranberrys

Combine with:

2 small or 1 large raspberry jello
2 cups boiling water
1.25 cups sugar, more or less to taste

Place in 9x13 glass dish
Let set overnight in icebox

Can be doubled
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 07:27:22 (permalink)
CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This is my families traditional one dish Christmas morn feast.

INGREDIENTS

2-1/2 pounds bacon (I buy ends and pieces instead of strips for this)
3 tablespoons butter
4-3/4 onions, chopped
5 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
10 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1-1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
10 eggs
3-2/3 cups milk
3 pinches dried parsley
3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.

2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside. In a separate skillet, melt the butter and fry onions and mushrooms until tender.

3. Place potatoes in bottom of prepared dish. Sprinkle with salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Top with bacon, then onions and mushrooms.

4. In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk and parsley. Pour over casserole. Top with grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 1to 1.5 hour or until set. If preparing and baking the same day, cook for 45 minutes. It must be golden brown on top. No shimmying in the middle either.

Serves 12.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 07:45:25 (permalink)
These are good ANY time of year!

CHRISTMAS CRESCENT COOKIES Recipe

1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
2 c. flour
2 c. chopped pecans
5 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar; add vanilla and water. Sift flour and salt,
stir into mixture. Add pecans and mix well. Roll into a ball the size of a walnut and shape into crescent. Bake slowly at 325 degrees about
20 minutes. While warm, roll into powdered sugar.

I pack them into a cannister with powdered sugar--they last quite a while---if you dont open the cannister!!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 09:19:30 (permalink)
Our tradition is to have a big breakfast about midmorning on Christmas and then have dinner in early evening. Our breakfast menu is always a Sausage and egg casserole, fresh fruit salad and warm sticky buns (made the day before).

Here is the recipe for the casserole:

Sausage and Egg Casserole.
INGREDIENTS:

6 slices bread, cubed
1 pound breakfast sausage cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
8 large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon, salt
pepper to taste

Cube bread and place evenly in greased 9x13 pan or baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over ingredients in pan. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees or until set. Cut into squares to serve.
Serves 6 to 8 people.

You can actually make it right before you bake it but we always make it the night before.
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 10:21:05 (permalink)
What a great idea. I'd like to try some of these recipes right now!

Chezkatie, we have that same sausage casserole for brunch every Christmas morning, along with spinach and mushroom quiche. The Frances Virginia Blueberry Gems from the Stern's "Square Meals" are traditionally on the menu too.

We have an open house brunch from about 10 to 2 and then a soup dinner that evening. We always serve these addictive little onion sticks along with other types of breads with the soups. I make the applesauce side dish in the fall and freeze for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

HOLIDAY APPLESAUCE

4 lb. sweet apples (Red or Golden Delicious, Empire, Winesap, etc.), cut into chunks (don’t peel or core)
3 cups cranberries (12 oz.)
1 cup unsweetened apple cider
Two 3-inch strips lemon zest
1/ 2 cup sugar
3/ 4 tsp. ground cinnamon

In covered pot, simmer apples, cranberries, cider and lemon peel, stirring occasionally, for 1/ 2 hour or more, until apples are very tender. Add sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, covered 10 minutes. Discard zest. Pass mixture through a food mill. Add honey, sugar, or brown sugar to taste. Makes about 2 quarts. Can be frozen.

ONION CRESCENT CRUNCH STICKS

2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbs. melted butter or margarine
1 tsp. flour
1/ 2 tsp. garlic salt
1/ 2 tsp parsley flakes
1/ 4 tsp. onion salt
8-oz. can Pillsbury crescent rolls
2 cans (3 oz. each) crush French fried onion rings, crushed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Separate crescent dough into 4 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal. Cut each rectangle crossways into 8 strips. Dip each strip in egg mixture; coat with crushed onions.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Serve warm. Makes 32 sticks

To reheat, place on cookie sheet and heat at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 10:50:38 (permalink)
Hey---someone wake up Bushie!!--i know he's got a treat or two for the Holidays!!!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/12 18:16:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

All right. I am makin' the stollen. YUM YUM YUM YUM.
Fröliche Weinachten!!!

WhereGregEats & Meowzart,
Sounds like you've stollen her heart.
Spritzily, Ort. Carlton in Bereft Of Mama's Homemade Cookies Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I'll try to find the recipe. Wish me great luck; most of it was rule-of-thumb.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 11:18:23 (permalink)
Holiday Cheese Ball

2 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 green pepper,chopped finely
1 small jar diced pimento, drained
1 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Mix together and roll in chopped pecans

Mexican Dip

2 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. bulk sausage, browned and crumbled
1 can Rotel

Mix together and serve warm with tortilla chips

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 11:45:49 (permalink)
Our Christmas eve dinner is always chili and tamales, but someone usually brings these:

BECKY'S BEEF AND CHEESE ENCHILADAS

Brown in a skillet: 1 pound extra lean ground beef
drain well and set aside.

Grate: 10 ounces cheddar cheese
Chop: 1 onion

Place 2 tablespoons meat in a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and onion and roll up tight and place in a slightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, seam side down. If you prefer corn tortillas, dip into 1/4 inch hot grease for just a few seconds on each side, so that they will be more pliable. Sometimes, I make a pan of half of each.

Sauce:
Melt in a saucepan: 1/2 cup margarine
Add: 3 Tbsp flour
Gradually add: 2 cups of milk, and cook until slighly thickened
Add: 1 can chopped chilis and/or a few chopped jalapenos to tase if you like the heat.

Pour over filled tortillas and cover with grated American cheese. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Make ahead of time and freeze if you wish.

Our Christmas eve dinner also includes:
Chili con queso with chips
Pico de Gallo
Mexican rice
Guacamole
Lone Star
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 11:51:20 (permalink)
CANDIED JALAPENOS - AKA "Cowboy Candy"

1 quart pickled sliced jalapenos (or whatever size jar available to purchase)
2 cups sugar

Drain and thoroughly rinse jalapenos in cold water.
(I cover them with water in a pan and drain in a collandar several times) Place jalapenos in a glass container and cover with sugar.

Refrigerate overnite or until sugar turns to syrup and the japlapenos are "candied". Remove with a slotted spoon and stir into room temperature cream cheese. You may not want to add all, depending on taste. Serve with crackers, or the jalapenos alone on a relish tray.

These are soooo expensive when purchased, about 5.99 for a tiny jar in specialty stores,but so easy to make and deliciously irresistable.
Heatherb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 12:21:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Okay, for all of those out there who have had their suspicions. Here's the proof that I'm the strange one. I'm known for my fruitcake & here's my recipe.

White fruitcake

preheat oven to 300F grease & flour 2-8x4 loaf pans or 1 large tube pan. Cut a piece of waxed paper to fit the bottom of the pan to help in removing the cake when cool.

cream 1 cup sugar with 1 1/2 cups softened butter, then at a low speed add in 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 tbsp lemon extract, add in 5 eggs one at a time, beat 2 minutes at medium. Stir in 1 lb pecans, 1 lb candied pineapple (cut up in chunks) and 3/4 lb red candied cherries. (candied in these fruits translates to glaceed)
Spoon batter into pans & bake 1 1/4 to 2 hours or until tester comes out clean.
Cool in pans, remove from pans. When completely cool (I usually wait a day), using Bacardi's white rum ( about 1/2 cup per loaf cake), I inject the rum into the cake using one of the flavor injecting needles. Inject around the sides & then in the top. Wrap in cheescloth & dampen cloth with a little more rum, then wrap with heavy duty foil. store in refrigerator. These cakes won't keep indefinitely but are supposed to last up to 6 months, never had any make it past the end of January.
redtressed
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 14:49:08 (permalink)
uhmmmmmmmm
BUSHIE!!!!!!!!!!!SUNDANCER!!!!!!!!!!!SPUDNUT!!!!!!!!!!!!LISA!!!!!!!!!!!RUSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kristi_S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RickF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mr. Hoffman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stephen Rushmore!!!!!!!!!!Lucky Bishop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mosca!!!!!!!!!!!!!BillB!!!!!!!!!!!!!Alesrus!!!!!!!!!!!!Michael Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pogophiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pogo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Adjucator!!!!!!!!!!!!fcbaldwin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lamertz!!!!!!!!!!!!!chicagostyledog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IansMom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wanderingjew!!!!!!!!!!carlton pierre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rwmcelwain!!!!!!!!!!!!!DaveM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!michaelgemell!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pwingsx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tsores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DonnaDouglass!!!!!!!!!!!!
howard8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!howardbaratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!any other howards!!!!!!!!!!!!Varelas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Red Patti!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Glenn!!!!!!!!!!!Uncle Vic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cindyloo!!!!!!!!!!!TippyLee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hillbilly!!!!!!!!!!!!BakersBoy!!!!!!!!!!!BaconBits!!!!!!!!!!Zussers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!zataar!!!!!!!!!!!Jellybear!!!!!!!!!!jlobough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Chumley!!!!!!!!!!Rhodes!!!!!!!!!!!!Danmel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Danimal!!!!!!!!!!!!Any other damn animals!!!!!!jvsmom!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lexi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MikeSh!!!!!!!!!marberthenad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hermitt!!!!!!!!oneiron!!!!!!!!the ancient mariner!!!!!!!!!!!!!TJ JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!EliseT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Poverty Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!speechpeach!!!!!!!!!twodales!!!!!!!!!!!!!stanandpepa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ballpark Roadtripper!!!!!!!!!!! and all the other one zillion of you!!!!!!!

Get your homework in younguns and don't make me open a can of whoop-ass on you. This is your 15 minutes of fame, kids! I wanna leech your goodies!
redtressed
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 15:01:50 (permalink)
A shameless, self serving example of a plea for self fulfillment:

Dear Mr. I-95,

In the spirit of Holiday cheer, Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards all posters, and to grant the fondest desires of a woman who hovered near the brink of death only a few weeks ago(the rest of you quit rolling your eyes......I gotta lay this on thick). Please post your much prized secret recipe of Holiday Lutefiske with Grand Marnier Chocolate Fudge Sauce for our huddled masses, yearning to be ill so they can call off work for the holidays. Be giving and joyous, Mr I-95, for tis the season to change habits of perverted lurking and come out into the cold winter sunshine. Even Mr Magoo cast off his Scrooge and brought Turkey to Tiny Tim.......time to mend your ways, Grinch of the DC bedroom community and celebrate with the inhabitants of Roadfoodville.

In true Holiday Spirit,

Redtressed

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 15:08:18 (permalink)
OK, here goes:

Tennessee Fried cornbread. This is the only conrbread the Sundacer ever cooks or fries:

First of all I preheat the oven to 450F

Next I prepare my cast iron fry pan with oil that I put in the oven to preheat. I use canola. Some may want to use lard but canola cooks at that heat without smoking.

I do the following:

2 cups Lily White corn meal
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 grated onion
1/2 grated sweet pepper
1 small can of mixed corn and peppers from the store(use the juice)
1 minced jalaopeno
1 dash of salt
1 dash of pepper

Mix all this crap together and pull the pan from the oven and while it is hot, add the ingredients. Let it go for about 45 minutes and yank it out. I check it frequently before the time to see if it is pulling away from the sides of the pan. I like it dark and crispy. You may like it different.

It is wonderful while it is hot and fried.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
redtressed
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 15:25:47 (permalink)
So no one accuses me of not putting my efforts where my mouth is, here's a few of the ones I'm submitting

Artichoke and Crab Towers

3 cans whole artichoke hearts
1 lb Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
Hollandaise Sauce(recipe follows)
3 cups grated cheeses( I use a mix of parmesean, romano, asiago, fontinella and gruyere)

Drain liquid from artichokes. Remove and slice a minute section off the bottoms, in order for hearts to stand up in pan. Place artichokes in shallow baking pan. Make an indentation in the middle of the hearts and spoon in jumbo lumb crab into each.

Hollandaise Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 lb 4 oz butter
1/8 tsp peppercorns, crushed
1/8 tsp salt
3 Tbsp white vinegar or wine vinegar
2 Tbsp cold water
6 egg yolks
1 to 2 Tbsp lemon juice
salt
cayenne

Instructions:

Clarify the butter. Keep it warm but not hot.

Combine the peppercorns, salt, and vinegar in a saucepan. Reduce au sec.

Remove from the heat and add the cold water. Transfer the diluted reduction to a stainless steel bowl.

Add the egg yolks and beat well.

Hold the bowl over a hot-water bath and beat the yolks until they are thickened and creamy. Do not overcook them or they will curdle.

Remove the bowl from the heat. Using a ladle, slowly and gradually beat in the warm, clarified butter, adding it drop by drop at first. If it becomes too thick to beat before all the butter is added, beat in a little of the lemon juice.

When all the butter has been added, beat in lemon juice to taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and cayenne. If necessary, thin the sauce with a few drops of warm water.

Strain through cheesecloth to remove peppercorns.

Spoon Hollandaise over each artichoke tower. Sprinkle grated cheeses over top of each. Bake in 350 oven 15 minutes , then broil until cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve on large platter.

Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding and Horseradish Cream Sauce

This produces a roast that is seared with a crisp fat crust, medium rare in the middle and medium on ends.

1 10 lb Prime Rib Roast, Meat separated from the bone and tied on, fat untrimmed
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cracked pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Let roast sit out until main chill is off. Mix flour and salt, pepper, paprika, Garlic powder and onion powder. Coat Roast with olive Oil. Pat flour all over outside of roast and fairly thickly on the Fat. Place it on a rack in a shallow pan, bone side down. Roast in a preheated 500F oven for 35-40 minutes, basting twice with additional olive oil. Reduce the heat to 325F and roast 30 minutes longer. Check for desired doneness with meat thermometer : For Rare 125 to 130 degrees...Medium 135 to 140 internally. Remove and let roast rest for about 30 minutes before carving. Reserve pan drippings for Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire Pudding

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1. Sift together flour and salt. Place in bowl; make a well, and place eggs in center. Slowly whisk eggs into flour mixture until a paste forms. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup milk.
Gradually whisk in remaining z cups milk. Cover with plastic; chill in the refrigerator while the Prime Rib is cooking.

2. When roast is finished, set oven at 425 degrees. When pan has been deglazed, pour cup reserved pan drippings into roasting pan. Heat pan and drippings until very hot, about 5 minutes. Remove batter from refrigerator, and shake or whisk well; quickly pour into hot pan. Cook until crisp and golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm with Prime Rib.

Horseradish Cream

Horseradish Sauce

1 1/2 C. creme fraiche or sour cream
1/2 cup mayonaisse

1/2 C. prepared white horseradish

6 T. chopped fresh chives

4 t. fresh lemon juice

Whisk all ingredients to blend in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.) Makes about 2 cups.

Baklava with Mixed Nuts

Although I also make baklava the traditional way with just walnuts, this recipe is always requested more. I usually make 3 trays of this so I at least get one piece!
Baklava Yields 100 Baklava

3/4 Cup Honey
3/4 Cup Water
1/2 TBLSP Lemon Juice
1 TBLSP OrangeBlossom Water
1 Box Frozen Phyllo Dough
1 lb melted Butter
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Cardamom
1/8 Teaspoon Ground cloves
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBLSP white granulated sugar
2 cups finely chopped Mixed Nuts using the following:
Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, Hazelnuts, Almonds
In a large saucepan put simmer the honey and water and add the lemon juice until it is thick enough to
coat the back of the spoon.
Remove the lemon and add the orange blossom water.
Simmer a few more minutes.
Cool and refrigerate.
Prepare a filling of mixed nuts
Sprinkle the nuts with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter.
Layer the phyllo sheets, 12-15 of them to a buttered baking tray.
Brush the sheets with about half the butter and spread the filling on top of
the phyllo.
Cover with the remaining phyllo sheets, also brushed with butter.
Cut the top layered sheets diagonally into 2" long diamonds, cutting through
the filling but not the bottom layers of phyllo sheets.
Bake about 30 minutes.
Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes
until golden brown.
Remove from the oven.
Pour the refrigerated syrup over the top of the puffed dough.
Cut, using the same diagonals, through the uncut layer of dough.
Serve when cool, or as this seasons and only gets better with standing for a day or two, try to hide it from the world for a day or so.

Kitchen Sink Cheese Balls

2 cups shredded swiss cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 (2 ounces) jar pimiento
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
12 slices bacon, crisp-cooked,drained,and crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
1/4 cup snipped parsley
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
assorted crackers

1. Let swiss and cheddar cheeses come to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and sour cream till fluffy.
3. Beat in swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, undrained pimiento, pickle relish, half of the bacon, 1/4 cup of the pecans, salt and pepper.
4. Cover and chill till firm.
5. Shape into 1 large or 2 small balls on wax paper.
6. In a small bowl combine remaining bacon, pecans, parsley, and poppy seeds.
7. Turn mixture out onto clean clean sheet of waxed paper.
8. Roll cheese balls in seed mixture to coat.
9. Wrap and chill.
10. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
11. Serve with crackers.

Brie and Sausage Breakfast Casserole

This is my variation of the Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole

8 ounces brie round
1 1/2 lb ground sage pork sausage
8 slices soft french bread, sliced thin
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
7 large eggs, divided
3 cups whipping cream, divided
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dry mustard

1. Trim and discard rind from top of Brie.
2. Cut cheese into cubes; set aside.
3. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain sausage well.
4. Trim crusts from bread. Place crusts evenly in the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
5. Layer evenly with bread slices, sausage, Brie, and grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Whisk together 5 eggs, 2 cups whipping cream, and next 3 ingredients; pour evenly over cheeses.
7. Cover and chill 8 hours.
8. (I chill it overnight, so longer than 8 hours doesn't seem to hurt it.) Whisk together remaining 2 eggs and remaining 1 cup whipping cream; pour evenly over chilled mixture.
9. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until casserole is set.

Lone Star
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 15:43:01 (permalink)
Those cheese balls sound so good - am going to have to make them this weekend....

I-95, please come out. We know you are out there. Lurking.
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 15:48:21 (permalink)
This is excellent!!

Mildred's Toffee

1 1/2 cups chopped, toasted pecans divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 T. light corn syrup or honey
1/4 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Spread 1 cup pecans into a 9-inch circle on a lightly greased baking sheet.
2. Bring sugar and next three ingredients to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture is golden brown and a candy thermometer registers 290 to 310 degrees (about 15 min.). Pour sugar mixture over pecans on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle with chocolate morsels; let stand 30 seconds. Spread melted morsels evenly over top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. Chill one hour. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 18:12:12 (permalink)
Ok, 'ere's my contribution. The eggnog bread is really good, and while the sugar cookies are simpler to make than most, they have a really unusual and pleasing flavor.

Eggnog Bread

2 eggs
1 cup eggnog
2 teaspoons rum-flavored extract (or real rum)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teasppon ground nutmeg (or a little more if you like)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Grease bottom only of a 9X5 inch loaf pan, or three 5 3/4 inch loaf pans.

Beat eggs in large bowl.

Blend in sugar, eggnog, butter, rum and vanilla.

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

Mix into eggnog mixture; stir to just moisten dry ingredients.

Pour batter into prepared pan/s.
Bake bread in large for 40-60 minuts, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Breads baked in the smaller pans require 35-40 minutes.

Cool 10 minutes, and then remove bread from pan. Cool completely. Wrap tightly, and store in the refrigerator.

Holiday Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar (cool, huh? Not too sweet)
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground cinnamon
Colored sprinkles or sugars (optional)

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg; beat until fluffy. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well blended. Form dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap and flatten. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough, small portion at a time, to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface. Cut out with 3-inch cookie cutters. Decorate with sprinkles or sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7 to 9 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

These come out a little bit thinner than many sugar cookies, but the taste more than makes up for it!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 19:12:32 (permalink)
Here's a couple that I've posted before, but they were traditional Christmas dishes that my mother made. We had them every Christmas, and only at Christmas. Just the way it was...

Bushie's Mother's Clam Dip

1 small onion
1 small green pepper
4 cans minced clams (drain and rinse well)
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese - grated
8 Tb ketchup
2 Tb Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup sherry

Saute chopped onions and peppers in butter. Add clams and other ingredients, mix, then mix in the cheese and heat until melted.

Broccoli Casserole

2 boxes of frozen, chopped broccoli
2 eggs
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of Miracle Whip
Half of an onion, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated

Cook broccoli for 4 minutes, then drain. Beat the eggs, then mix all ingredients. Pour into 9x13 baking dish, then bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. If desired, you can top the casserole with more cheese and cracker crumbs before baking.

Now, those are HER written instructions. I've been known to add other spices (cayenne, for one), more onion, some garlic, substitute mayo for Miracle Whip, etc. I also usually don't bother to pre-cook the broccoli. You can play with this recipe and it still comes out good. (A friend once made this and added a cup of cooked rice; she said it was even better.)
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday 2004/12/13 20:29:27 (permalink)
Milk Chocolate Meltaways

2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 bag milk chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar together. Gradually add flour. Fold in chocolate chips. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets (they don't spread much, so you can put a lot of them on 1 sheet). Bake 12-15 minutes at 350.

Dust with confectionary sugar when cool.

Very simple, but extremely good.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1