The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 132
ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 2:20 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I imagine quite a few are not guilty of forgetting to:

quote:
Don't forget to beat off the turner.

coughs politely

at least daily......

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 2:56 PM (permalink)
    I used to make that cake with my Granny!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
      RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 3:07 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Lone Star

When I make this cake, I think my Granny is still here with me although I am a granny She drinks most of the whiskey for me

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
        RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 3:08 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Lone Star

How did she taste?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
          RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 9:26 PM (permalink)
          WOAH!! I think if I don't submit a recipe Redtressed will come and use the paddle and spank me.

Here's a recipe that took my mother years to perfect. It was HER mother's traditional Christmas torte, but nothing was written down. We just ate it and ate it every Holiday season and then Nona died and we didn't know how to make the Hazelnut Torte. We tried everything and then one year......my mother (the wise Italian that she is) hit on the perfect formula!!!! I will share with my Roadfood friends this very secret Hazelnut Torte recipe....

Take 1 1/2 C hazelnuts, rub the skins off and toast gently in a 450 degree oven for about 5 mins. Cool and chop in the food processor (coarse chop!)

Cream in the mixer:
          1C butter
          1 2/3 C sugar
          ! egg + 1 yolk
          1 t. vanilla
          1 t. vanilla butter nut flavoring

Sift 2 1/2 C flour and add to the above with a pinch of salt, 2 t. baking powder and 4 T Hershey's cocoa powder.

Spray a cookie sheet with PAM and spread the dough evenly. Bake 325F for 15 mins. then 275F for 2 hours. Cool and cut into squares (like brownies). It's supposed to be crunchy. Enjoy with a good cup of coffee or a nice glass of cold milk! (Dunking is recommended.)

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
            RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 10:13 PM (permalink)
            I really have been here and there--doing my landlady thing in KeyWest--and now on my way back to Raleigh for the holidays. Had a great trip and then opened up the Roadfood site to this great new change. I'll get some recipes asap. Good idea. We like to have all of our favorite appetizers for Xmas eve (that's when Santa comes to our house) This way we can munch all through the evening. There's always a ham for sandwiches and lots of dips and spreads and fruit and cheeses. This yeaar I'm going to make a veggie tart that will go something like this:

On a cookie sheet,

8 (or so) sheets of filo
            Layer and spray with olive oil

Spread some pesto on top with some parmesan cheese and onions,sliced tomato and any other thinly sliced veg.
            Salt and pepper to taste

Bake for 20 minutes or so at 350

This sounds really "guess and by golly" but I think it'll work.

There's a good seafood store in Raleigh where I'll get some shrimp and maybe some oysters.
            There will be loads of cakes,pies,cookies too.
            I love Christmas!! Can't wait!!!

BigGlenn

RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/17/04 10:52 PM (permalink)
              Title: California Dinner

Description:
              A Meal for a Family Of 6.

Ingredients:
              Wallet (If unavailable a Purse can be used instead)
              Car (Van can be used also)
              Local Drive Thru
              4 Screaming Kids
              Husband
              Wife
              1 ATM
              Ketchup Packets
              1 Couch

Directions:
              Take one spouse, ask ""Whats For Dinner?" add 4 Screaming kids who then say "Not That Again!" The remaining spouse picks up keys that he was just hit with. Everyone goes to get in the vehicle. Attempt to determine which drive thru to go to. Opps! Forgot to get money. Look for ATM. Now its getting late, so anything will do. Never, just never forget the Ketchup! Go Home. Attempt to let things cool down.

Sleep On Couch! Again.

Number Of Servings: 6

Preparation Time: Overnight!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Sun, 12/19/04 7:33 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by tiki

Hey--we heard that up here!!!!-----grumble grumble snort-dang Baja Okies anyway-grumble aaarrgg!!!
                'Sokay, Tiki. When I lived in the real west (NM), I heard a Texan refer to OK as an outlying province of TX. An Oklahoman rose and said majestically, "Allow me to correct that statement. Nothing can outlie Texas or a Texan."

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Sun, 12/19/04 8:37 PM (permalink)
                  Redtressed, if you need the files converted into PDF format and dont have the software, let me know. I'll be glad to help out... (or even a E-Book)...

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                    RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Sun, 12/19/04 11:00 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks Uncle Vic........I have Acrobat 6 and Abbey Fine both, but if we get bogged down, I'll be a hollerin'. Do you have msn or do you wish for me to use email?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                      RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Sun, 12/19/04 11:15 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

Hey--we heard that up here!!!!-----grumble grumble snort-dang Baja Okies anyway-grumble aaarrgg!!!
                      'Sokay, Tiki. When I lived in the real west (NM), I heard a Texan refer to OK as an outlying province of TX. An Oklahoman rose and said majestically, "Allow me to correct that statement. Nothing can outlie Texas or a Texan."

LOL!!!!!!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                        RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Mon, 12/20/04 10:31 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Mon, 12/20/04 10:49 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by redtressed

Thanks Uncle Vic........I have Acrobat 6 and Abbey Fine both, but if we get bogged down, I'll be a hollerin'. Do you have msn or do you wish for me to use email?

I have MSN, but never use it. Email would be best.

PS, I use GhostWriter. Free version of Acrobrat's generator..

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                            RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 2:43 PM (permalink)

Thank You, Red!!

Just got my copy of the cookbook in the e-mail - Merry Christmas!

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                              RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 3:04 PM (permalink)
                              The recipe book looks terrific. I'm going to print a copy and take my time reading -- and using! -- it. Thanks, Redtressed, for all your hard work. You're a goddess.

I'll bet we could find a publisher willing to take a chance on a bookstore-type Roadfood.com cookbook for next Christmas...

tiki

RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                Ya done good. Red!!!! Love it!

tiki

RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                  and Grampy---thanks-------but you get no kiss!

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                                    RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 3:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Can you email me a copy too? I don't think I included my email when I said I'd like one...sorry - it's swallace@mchutchison.com....can't wait to see it :-)

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                      RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                      I'll kiss you Grampy

Bushie - just ignore those outlanders.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                        RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Tue, 12/21/04 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Me too, me too.
                                        bbqboy@jeffnet.org

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                          • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                          RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Wed, 12/22/04 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                          Me, too!
                                          mi-lady@direcway.com

juliev

• Total Posts: 147
                                            RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Wed, 12/22/04 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                            **drool** I'll have to dig up a couple recipes.

cindyloo

• Total Posts: 123
                                              RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Wed, 12/22/04 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                              Am I too late for a copy? I'd love one...

cindyloo85@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                                • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                                RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Thu, 12/23/04 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                                Thanks for the email, Red! I got it all safe and sound. Yummy, I didn't realize how many recipes there actually were!

juliev

• Total Posts: 147
                                                  RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Thu, 12/23/04 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by cindyloo

Am I too late for a copy? I'd love one...

cindyloo85@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

I would love one too! I hope it's not too late, also! Here is "hot toddy" that my family makes every year. I'm half swedish.

Swedish Glogg:

One 750 milliliter bottle of dry red wine
                                                  1/2 cup of raisins
                                                  1/2 cup of gin, vodka or aquavit
                                                  1/3 cup of sugar
                                                  Peel from 1 orange
                                                  8 inches stick cinnamon, broken
                                                  6 whole cloves
                                                  2 cardamom pods, opened

In a large saucepan stir together the wine, raisins, gin, vodka, or aquavit, and sugar. For the spice bag, cut a double thickness of cheesecloth into a 6 or 8 inch square. Place orange peel, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in the center of the cheesecloth. Bring up the corners of the cheesecloth and tie them with a clean string. Add to saucepan with wine mixture. Hat the mixture to simmering. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Do not boil.. Remove and discard the spice bag. Makes eight 4 ounce servings.

jlewis8310

• Total Posts: 16
                                                    • Location: Gaithersburg, MD
                                                    RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Thu, 12/23/04 7:32 AM (permalink)
                                                    Am I too late for a copy???
                                                    Judy

seafarer john

RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Thu, 12/23/04 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      Redtressed and Grampy did a marvelous wonderful service to all of us with their recipe book. With a lot of help from Redtressed I was able to download the treatise, and attempted to print it out so I could peddle it around town. But, alas, they have copywrited it and all the profits are going to them- well, I guess they deserve it...

Merry Christmas and Cheers to all, John

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                                                        • Location: Howardsville, VA
                                                        RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Thu, 12/23/04 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        It looks great. Thanks guys! A big yay from rainy Virginia!

UncleVic

• Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/24/04 1:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          Nice job Redtressed and Grampy! A toast to the both of ya!! Merry Christmas...

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                            • Location: West Peoria, IL
                                                            RE: My Absolutely Brilliant Thought for A RF Holiday Fri, 12/24/04 2:18 AM (permalink)
                                                            Excellent job, and fantastic artwork on the first two pages! Thank you for all your time and effort.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 132

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com