My Build Concept. Any comments?

Author
Parrot Cage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
2011/09/21 15:45:51 (permalink)

My Build Concept. Any comments?

Well I think I picked out my platform. It's a 1998 Bluebird schoolbus. The usable space inside is 25' X 7-1/2'. Here is what I kinda worked out. Any suggestions?

13 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 15:55:19 (permalink)
    By no means to I profess any expertise in the area, but I recall years back when a friend was mulling over a similar conversion...he planned it in a airstream type trailer...there were issues with local authorities about having service counter inside the vehicle. Doing so made him cross some lines as they related to a vending cart/trailer and a restaurant. Just something to check on. 
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 16:06:10 (permalink)
    I agree with Tony. If your customer come into your unit you may be required to have full restaurant ansul system hood and many other more expensive features.

Be sure you have enough room to get the fridge and freezer out at the aisle. Between the 2 looks ctoo close to get either out if need be.
    The double sink will prob need to be a tripple - wash, rinse, sanitize.
    I am not sure you will be allowed to use a dishwasher like that, plus it may use more water than you want to carry, refill, and empty from a mobile unit.

Just my .02
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 16:54:17 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if I am looking at this right. Is the door that you show the rear emergency door and that means the serving counter is behind the drivers seat? I think you need to shift your serving counter to the entry door instead of having it inside and get someone to work the counter.  As a customer, I don't want to schlepp up the steps into the bus. If the serving counter is at the rear emergency door, you will have to raise the door. Our rear emergency door is only about 4 ft high and those three steps in the entry would be difficult for an elderly customer.  I take it this is a mid size bus with a dog nose?

Change your double sink to a triple.

We have a 40 ft 1986 BlueBird All American FE. We are converting it into our home.

Check out www.skoolie.net
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/09/21 16:58:35
    cracker75
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 17:08:54 (permalink)
    I put a dishwasher in my original plan too, but the premise was that I'd be semi-permanent and have a water line at all times. If you're mobile I suspect it would require too much H2O and also need a lot of power. 

If you are running out of a commissary, that's where you'd want the DW.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2099
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 17:11:03 (permalink)
    Chicnscoop  ....
    I am not sure you will be allowed to use a dishwasher like that, plus it may use more water than you want to carry, refill, and empty from a mobile unit.

Just my .02

Why would a dishwasher be used in this type of set-up?   The customer would be severed with single use containers & utensils (plastic & paper), so the only washing would be cooking pots, pans & utensils. These are usually too big for common or small dishwashers.

I think there was an old thread that had a nice pictures of a bus conversion for concession vending.   The severing windows was at the side.
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 17:56:42 (permalink)
    In Maine you're not required to have a commissary, so I thought I would be required to have a dishwasher, but you guys are right pots and pans won't fit. I was planning an undercounter dishwasher, but i can use that space for a third sink.

Yes, the counter is about 4.5' behind the driver seat. I do like the idea of putting a small counter in the entry door stairwell. That would give me more room anyway.
    Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!
    lornaschinske
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 18:12:21 (permalink)
    Move your refrigerator and the freezer away from the emergency exit door. You will need that door to get appliances in/out(you should have enough width to get a standard depth refrigerator in/out but you will have to almost lay it down to get it in/out... Been there, done that. Watch your height. BlueBirds have ceilings that curve down at the sides and it messes with taller appliances. You can hang your water tanks, generators, etc under the bus but it will take some planning to get it all in there. With the high floor, you won't be able to put a serving counter on the sides unless you build a ramp up to it.

For those of you that haven't been painting a standard school bus daily, the floor is about 42" from the ground. Too high for a serving counter. The "shorty" buses are much lower to the ground as they tend to be built on a van chassis.
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 18:20:18 (permalink)
    Here is an updated version.

post edited by Parrot Cage - 2011/09/21 18:33:59
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1998
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 21:12:42 (permalink)
    The way you have it laid out, you will be walking 15+ feet to your fridge every time you put something on the grill and when you are making up sands.
    You need a sandwich make up table across from your grill.
    Something else that is nice, if you have the $$ is a chef base.
    Everything for the grill, right under it.
    What type of ovens? and why not on the hot side?
    What are you planning to sell?
    Don't forget to allow for drain boards on both sides of the sink.

There are a couple of taco buses around here (converted transit).... inside seating for about 8 people.
    post edited by chefbuba - 2011/09/21 21:15:28
    lornaschinske
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 22:14:57 (permalink)
    Put your REF & FZR side by side. Make sure you vent the compressors. Flip your sinks and prep table. You can use ventilated closet shelving (16" deep) as a drain board over the triple sinks. It will sit right at the top of the windows, at the bottom of the wiring chase. You may want to put the REF next to current FZR location and put the hand wash sink over  near the triple sink. It will keep your plumbing in the same location... (place grey tank in the rear section of the bus). Where is your water heater??? You will want the near your sinks.

Paint the roof with white elastometric roof coating (I used Henry's Solarflex on ours). It will keep the roof temps down and make the metal roof quieter when it rains. Otherwise it will be like standing in a metal drum while someone beats on it with a hammer.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/09/21 22:17:51
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/21 23:50:22 (permalink)
    Parrot Cage In Maine you're not required to have a commissary, so I thought I would be required to have a dishwasher.

So ok I'll be the bad guy here and I don't want to end your dream but it is obvious you don't have a good grasp on the rules for your county or state. So do your self a really big favor and save everyone a great deal of time and effort not to mention your money and go sit down with your local health department. There and only there you'll find out what they will approve or not approve. It's far to easy to read a set of rules on line and misconstru the content. We have two people posting right now that have wasted their time and money because they read the rules instead of talking to their local health department. It's a shame but one of them may never get to open the doors. And I have to tell you over the last several years there have been others that have lost everything within 6 months because food service looks so easy, but without the right knowledge and planning it is a nightmare.

Good Luck
    cracker75
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/22 00:58:32 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

So do your self a really big favor and save everyone a great deal of time and effort not to mention your money and go sit down with your local health department. There and only there you'll find out what they will approve or not approve. It's far to easy to read a set of rules on line and misconstru the content. 

I second what the good Dr is telling you. My HD rep is not savvy about mobile-food, and I am still uncertain if I will be able to satisfy her interpretations of state and local law. She cannot prevent me from cooking in a trailer (legally), but she can "limit the complexity of the menu"...meaning anything specific item/recipe she doesn't like, she can veto. Until they're all vetoed, and then I'm out of luck.

Give your local rep a call, and see what their views are.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:My Build Concept. Any comments? 2011/09/22 07:41:42 (permalink)
    I agree too. Your local HD has final say and getting their input in the beginning is crutial. Let them be part of the planning and they will make your life much easier at inspection time. You are not wasting your time now though because you need to show them that you have been thinking this thing out - let them know your pro's and con's of your thinking. Let them help solve any issues you may see in each design.

You also need to know what you are serving so you can scribble out your work path when making items - this is called a spaghetti diagram - the less back and fourth motion on your layout the easier your workflow will be and more efficient your workday.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1