My Chicken discovery

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2010/05/30 16:37:51 (permalink)

My Chicken discovery

I've always sold smoked half chickens, I dont quarter them, don't ask why, in any case thursday I bought a bunch of fresh cut up chicken, put a real spicy rub on all of it and smoked it. incredible taste, then on a lark I took a smoked thigh and just put it in the deep fryer, no breading, nothing except the rub on it, you wouldn't believe the taste of my spicy smoked fried chicken, I may have hit a home run here!

17 Replies Related Threads

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/05/31 07:40:10 (permalink)
    Hey CTF---Since I won't be in Emmitsburg Md within the forseeable future will be please send one to me in St Pete.  And don't forget your home run trot, and touch all the bases. 

Maybe hand your leg to someone
    passing through on their way to Paradise ----- the earthly one not the  one in the sky. 

Thanking you in advance
    I remain----TAM.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/05/31 11:03:23 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

Hey CTF---Since I won't be in Emmitsburg Md within the forseeable future will be please send one to me in St Pete.  And don't forget your home run trot, and touch all the bases. 

Maybe hand your leg to someone
    passing through on their way to Paradise ----- the earthly one not the  one in the sky. 

Thanking you in advance
    I remain----TAM.

TAM,Take me a week to get around the bases...I'd send the chicken UPS but I know the driver would eat it!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/01 07:41:52 (permalink)
    Hey Fat,

If you put it on the menu post it here......I've moved a little further south in Va. and don't make it up your way as often as I used to (once a month or so) but I'm sure I could get the fella's together on the bikes and head up for some Smoked Fried Chicken.....

Truce
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/01 11:28:53 (permalink)
    rebeltruce

Hey Fat,

If you put it on the menu post it here......I've moved a little further south in Va. and don't make it up your way as often as I used to (once a month or so) but I'm sure I could get the fella's together on the bikes and head up for some Smoked Fried Chicken.....

Truce

Truce, I sold all of it this weekend so consider it on the menu...also if you are coming up PM me so I can be sure to be here, I want to meet you!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/01 12:01:29 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I've always sold smoked half chickens, I dont quarter them, don't ask why, in any case thursday I bought a bunch of fresh cut up chicken, put a real spicy rub on all of it and smoked it. incredible taste, then on a lark I took a smoked thigh and just put it in the deep fryer, no breading, nothing except the rub on it, you wouldn't believe the taste of my spicy smoked fried chicken, I may have hit a home run here!

If you cut it in half, you can put it on the kiddies menu
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/01 16:14:33 (permalink)
    joerogo

chewingthefat

If you cut it in half, you can put it on the kiddies menu

True,but you still can't order off of it!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/02 08:36:25 (permalink)
    Dear Mr CTF,---
    If you have a kiddie's menu you should have a senior menu also.
    Discrimination lurks there.  The senior menu would be pre-packaged
    to go------never saw a senior leave a restaurant without a doggie bag.  A handful of sugar (and, or, substitutes) packettes in her pocketbook would be nice also.  If they show up with empty shopping bags count the silverware. 

If Joe Rogo shows up rev up the ovens----I understand he is a world class gourmand.  Tony Bad slipped me that info when no-one was looking.   

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 07:52:41 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

rebeltruce

Hey Fat,

Truce

Truce, I sold all of it this weekend so consider it on the menu...also if you are coming up PM me so I can be sure to be here, I want to meet you!

I told the fella's about the Smoked Fried Chicken.....we are all huge BBQ fans, and your joint has always been one of our favorites......we all love fried chicken.....almost as much as Q....LOL I will drop you a note as soon as we put the trip together!!! 

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18887
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 12:21:35 (permalink)
    Gotta tell you, that sounds really, really good. And I'm a fried chickenophobe.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 12:49:20 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

Dear Mr CTF,---
    If you have a kiddie's menu you should have a senior menu also.
    Discrimination lurks there.  The senior menu would be pre-packaged
    to go------never saw a senior leave a restaurant without a doggie bag.  A handful of sugar (and, or, substitutes) packettes in her pocketbook would be nice also.  If they show up with empty shopping bags count the silverware. 

If Joe Rogo shows up rev up the ovens----I understand he is a world class gourmand.  Tony Bad slipped me that info when no-one was looking.   

Ancient One, I do have a Seniors menu, it looks exactly like the regular one...I  don't want to be accused of profiling anyone...I live in mortal fear of a giant lawsuit by some kids advocacy group, as it is!
    If Joe Rogo shows up, I'll put him in the kitchen, I can always use someone who knows their way around good chow!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 15:38:46 (permalink)
    A two step cooking process. I think there are some other rather famous chicken recipes that use that idea. Smoke, then fry, sounds like a ground breakin home run idea to me!!!

Now... for a great name for it?%&#@?
    Joe
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 17:06:14 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

A two step cooking process. I think there are some other rather famous chicken recipes that use that idea. Smoke, then fry, sounds like a ground breakin home run idea to me!!!

Now... for a great name for it?%&#@?
    Joe

I'm pretty good at creating names, (IMHO).
    In this case, since it's a new concept, the name needs to be simple and describes what the product is so people can catch on and identify with the product.

For Starters;
    "Smokin' Fried Chicken"
    "Deep Fried Smoked Chicken"
    "2-Step Smoke & Fry Chicken"
    "Double Flavor- Smoked & Fried Chicken"

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/06/03 17:07:24
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 17:26:37 (permalink)
    BTW, I hit the chhicken with some of the rub after the fry, crispy spicy chicken skin, with a really moist smoked meat underneath it...Oh yeah!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/03 18:07:35 (permalink)
    Chewer, this could be the next biggest thing since frying chicken in a pressure cooker!

Foodb, all good names! Hard to choose. It's Chewers food invention... make him choose.
    Joe
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/05 11:06:23 (permalink)
    How about 'Crispy Wisp Chicken' or 'Double Love Chicken'.

I don't usually care for smoked chicken at all because the smoke tends to be way overdone and chicken is not a strong enough flavor to handle that well.  This sounds really good though.

Sounds like a good opportunity to experiment with some different rubs too.
    Starfood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/16 18:36:40 (permalink)
    It doesn't really matter how it is made as long as it tastes good, fail and then try and figure out why.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:My Chicken discovery 2010/06/16 18:50:43 (permalink)
    I'm late into this thread.

I've actually tried something similar. I brine my chicken that's destined for immersion frying in a seasoned brine. Instead of the seasoning, I tried adding institutional liquid smoke. Interesting taste, but my M8 seemed to think that it clashed with the seasoning in the breader and I agreed.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1