The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

My Consession Trailer Plan

fuimus

• Total Posts: 3
My Consession Trailer Plan Fri, 02/8/13 3:13 PM (permalink)
Hi folks,
I am new here and would appreciate some feedback as to the floorplan of a trailer I intend to build out.  My intention is to be as flexable as possible when I vend at events due to other already selling Items I would offer
Pulled Pork Sandwich
Chopped Beef Brisket
Sausage Sandwich
Tacos
Gumbo
Chili and on and on
Please take a look and respond with your suggestions on equipment and placement. FYI There is a wall between the Propane and Fryer
Thanks in advance for your advice

YOAman

• Total Posts: 50
    Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Fri, 02/8/13 10:56 PM (permalink)
    First off, those propane tanks have to be outside, no state will allow them to be inside the trailer

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
      Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Fri, 02/8/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
      That's a porch trailer, the tanks are outside.
      What are you going go cook on? You need a stove top.
      A 24" grill is not enough, I struggle with a 36"
      Why the porch if your smoker is inside?
      You need more refrigeration.
      Why do you need 24' of counter space?
      Why 5 windows? You can't produce enough food from this to service that many stations. You have a 12' kitchen.
      With all those windows, you loose a lot of your wall space for cabinets/shelving.
      What's to the left of the smoker?
      I'll think of more.

fuimus

Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Sat, 02/9/13 8:09 AM (permalink)
        chefbuba

What are you going go cook on? You need a stove top. I agree, I will add a 36" 6 burner with oven for holding
        A 24" grill is not enough, I struggle with a 36" I will move the smoker outside on the freezer side against the partionion wall and increase the griddle to 36". I will have to increase the hood from 6' to 7'
        Why the porch if your smoker is inside? Dry Goods, Soda, Ice, Coolers, etc
        You need more refrigeration. I have 19cf uder counter refrig and 12cf of freezer, How much more?
        Why do you need 24' of counter space? Prep, Stack Buns, I want the ability to re-configure depending on the side I will be serving from
        Why 5 windows? You can't produce enough food from this to service that many stations. You have a 12' kitchen. Not all windows will be served from at one time. Depending on the location and how the trailer is positioned at an event, will determine which window I serve from
        With all those windows, you loose a lot of your wall space for cabinets/shelving.  All windows will not be open
        What's to the left of the smoker? More countertop
        I'll think of more.

Regarding the porch, I plan to have windows installed and will be able to lock the unit upo at night after the event closes. Here is a picture of a prototype.

Thanks for the advice, It is much appreciated. 

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
          Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Mon, 02/11/13 8:35 AM (permalink)
          That serving window over the tongue is going to be totally inaccessable - why waste your money?

You really only want something 18" deep in front of a serving window too. More than that and you will have a difficult time reaching to collect your cash from patrons - plus serving them is a stretch and your back will hurt by the end of the day.

I would hate to be inside that trailer if the fryolator catches fire - you would have to jump out a window to get out because the fryolator is next to the exit door.

kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
            Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Mon, 02/11/13 10:47 AM (permalink)
            still not sure the propane tanks will pass being there. it is a porch but it is pretty closed up.

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
              Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Mon, 02/11/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
              What type events do you plan to use your trailer?

fuimus

Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Fri, 02/15/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                Thank you all for your feedback.   I did a 9 day fair for 5 years to help my lodge and I always struggled with refrigeration, replenishing supplies and the weather.  I only sold one item a BBQ Beef Brisket sandwich.

Concerning the trailer above, our intent was to pull it with a class c motor home, but that is not going to happen due to the weight of the trailer.  Class C F450 only have a 5000lb towing capacity. 

Now the plan has evolved to a 10x20 Knock Down Consession stand before commiting to a trailer. I will use a E350 Van pulling our Toy hauler with the BBQ cooker and Fryer in the cargo area (they will be rolled out into the knock down stand).  A 15cf chest Freezer converted to a regrigerator in the Van should suffice for refrigeration and the van can be used to re-supply the stand. Regardig the propane , I will go with 2 60lb bottles to fule the fryer, BBQ cooker and a generator

I really like the asthetics of the trailer but have to be realistic, about what will and wont work
                Thanks again everyone

Saxdragon

• Total Posts: 8
                  Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Mon, 02/25/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                  Did you use a specific program to design the truck?  I'm tired of hand drawing what I want  LOL  Will it show wiring and plumbing details too?
                  <message edited by Saxdragon on Mon, 02/25/13 4:02 PM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2014
                    Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Tue, 02/26/13 8:13 AM (permalink)
                    kennyb

still not sure the propane tanks will pass being there. it is a porch but it is pretty closed up.

The tanks are in an enclose area. This will not meet code.     If the area can be closed up, it is not a porch.   Mount the gas tanks on the tongue. Then remove the windows in that wall and install over head cabinets or shelves above the sinks.  You need the storage space.

hella good tacos

• Total Posts: 112
                      Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Mon, 03/4/13 9:12 AM (permalink)
                      fuimus

Thank you all for your feedback.   I did a 9 day fair for 5 years to help my lodge and I always struggled with refrigeration, replenishing supplies and the weather.  I only sold one item a BBQ Beef Brisket sandwich.

Concerning the trailer above, our intent was to pull it with a class c motor home, but that is not going to happen due to the weight of the trailer.  Class C F450 only have a 5000lb towing capacity. 

Now the plan has evolved to a 10x20 Knock Down Consession stand before commiting to a trailer. I will use a E350 Van pulling our Toy hauler with the BBQ cooker and Fryer in the cargo area (they will be rolled out into the knock down stand).  A 15cf chest Freezer converted to a regrigerator in the Van should suffice for refrigeration and the van can be used to re-supply the stand. Regardig the propane , I will go with 2 60lb bottles to fule the fryer, BBQ cooker and a generator

I really like the asthetics of the trailer but have to be realistic, about what will and wont work
                      Thanks again everyone

hey fumius i have been doing festivals and outdoor events for a couple of years now and have seen similar setups to what you are mentioning. I think the setup and tear down will be a little more involved on your end, but it will work.

make sure you have something for flooring.  A health inspector brought this up at an event i did in a lawn area once.  I pulled the rubber mats i use for the back of my car and laid them on the ground.  She said it had to be in the open space not necessarily under all my tables and equipment.  This worked for me in a pinch, but from now on i will bring something specifically for that. It may be good to carry with you something you can use as a "floor"  jic.
                      best of luck to you!

josh
                      <message edited by hella good tacos on Mon, 03/4/13 9:16 AM>

cosmo64

• Total Posts: 166
                        Re:My Consession Trailer Plan Fri, 03/22/13 2:58 PM (permalink)
                        What software did you use to design your trailer with?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com