My Mom's Pancakes

Author
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
2005/10/28 15:06:03 (permalink)

My Mom's Pancakes

My mom used to make up a thin batter pancake and grate an apple into the batter. Then after cooking the pancakes she would put a glob of sourcream w/cinammon mixed in. Then she would roll them up and sprinkle w/powdered sugar. Of course mine don't taste as good as moms did. Nothing ever does taste as good as mom use to make it does it?

11 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2005/10/29 00:26:21 (permalink)
    The recipe does sound good.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2005/10/30 12:52:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

My mom used to make up a thin batter pancake and grate an apple into the batter. Then after cooking the pancakes she would put a glob of sourcream w/cinammon mixed in. Then she would roll them up and sprinkle w/powdered sugar. Of course mine don't taste as good as moms did. Nothing ever does taste as good as mom use to make it does it?
    depends on wether or not your mom could cook, by the sounds of this crepe like recipe yours could
    MizLiz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2005/10/30 23:55:26 (permalink)
    What your mother made sounds so much like the blini or blinchiki which I grew up with as a child. It is a traditional Russian dish served the week before Lent. We used to gorge ourselves with blini with savory and sweet fillings - sometimes just a pat of butter or sour cream, sometimes caviar, smoked fish (like whitefish, salmon or sturgeon), sardines, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions or jams, fruit preserves, powdered sugar, cottage cheese, whatever you have and lots of it! Butter and sour cream are a MUST.

You need to use well seasoned cast iron pans to cook bilni - to tell you the truth - we used the BACKS of the pans! Now that I think of it - a pretty impressive feat. But, for beginners, I suggest using the pot the right way first! We used to use at least 2 pans at the same time and when each blini was done each one was stacked on the other with a small pat of butter in between (we use unsalted butter only). The pans were always prepared with a brush dipped in clarified butter before the batter was poured in.

They are made paper thin - the French would call them crepes. The best blini are made from buckwheat flour or a combination of buckwheat and white. Don't hurry the process.

Here are a few recipes you might want to try...they are labor intensive. Taken from Kira Petrovskaya's Russian Cookbook.

Paper-Thin Blini (Traditional)

1 1/4 cups Buckwheat flour
    3/4 cup white flour
    1 cake of yeast
    1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
    1 cup hot milk
    2 eggs
    2-3 tbsp butter, melted
    1 tsp sugar
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    Dash of salt

1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
    2. Add 3/4 cup white flour and 1/4 cup buckwheat flour. Mix thoroughly and cover with a towel. Put in a warm (not hot) place to rise and let it stand for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    3. Add remaining flour and mix thoroughly. Let rise again for another 1 1/2 hours.
    4. Add to the raised batter 1 cup hot milk and mix well. Watch for milk skin and discard. Let cool.
    5. Meanwhile, slightly beat egg yolks, salt and sugar. Slowly add melted butter.
    6. Whip heavy cream until very fluffy, but not stiff.
    7. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold the egg whites into the cream.
    8. Combine all the ingredients with batter and let it stand for another 1 1/2 hours.
    9. Without stirring or disturbing the batter, carefully spoonout one tablesppon of batter for each pancake and fry on hot cast iron pan. (We would swirl the pan until we spread out the batter.) When they are done on one side brush or sprinkle with hot melted butter and turn over. They take about 2-3 minutes to cook per side.

Serve with sour cream.

The recipe should make about 20 - 25 blini, serving three Russians but four to six Americans. :-)

Blinchiki with Applesauce

1 cup flour
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 tbsp applesauce
    1 tbsp sugar
    Dash of salt

1. Beat together eggs, sugar and salt.
    2. Add milk slowly alternating with flour. Mix lightly between additions.
    3. Blend in applesauce and melted butter. The batter should be VERY thin, so add more milk if necessary.
    4. Fry on both sided on a hot, cast iron griddle which has been greased lightly with butter.

You can also stuff the finished blini with more applesauce (roll them shut) or cottage cheese with sour cream or preserves and either fry them again in a little butter or put the little tubes side by side in a baking dish, sprinkled with powdered sugar and melted butter and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes.

Serve with sour cream.

Serves 4 - 6 people.

And people wonder why I can't eat cheese ravioli with tomato sauce...I only eat them with sour cream and then sprinkled with sugar - haha - little do they know!
    Dude111
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 582
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/19 02:52:54 (permalink)
    The best pancakes i have ever had are the one we make @ home here (Bisquik)

I have had Mcdonalds Pancakes (Which arent as good) and Friendlys (Which take like crap)

I havent tried IHOPs pancakes yet.... Somehow i dont think anywhere will be as good as Bisquik though....
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/21 00:27:10 (permalink)
    totally agree with you dude. Bisquick pancakes are the absolute best!!! I don't mind making them from scratch....but Bisquick has the best texture, flavor, fluffiness that I've ever tasted in a pancake. I kind of feel guilty by admitting this but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/21 08:19:12 (permalink)
    Bisquick also has a melt-in-your-mouth recipe which includes baking powder, lemon juice and something else I can't remember until I check the recipe. They taste like homemade. But the best homemade I have ever come across uses just three ingredients--full-fat buttermilk, self-rising flour, and egg. 2 cups of the flour, 1 or 2 large eggs, and buttermilk to make a batter thick enough or thin enough to please you. Fry and devour.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/21 11:44:13 (permalink)
    Sassy, that's sounds wonderful. I'll have to try it next time we do pancakes.

My mother-in-law using Bisquick or generic equivalent with the standard instructions, but separates the eggs.
    The yolks go in as usual. The whites get whipped to peaks, then added to the waiting batter.
    It makes the pancakes soooo light. Don't understand it, as the ingredients are the same,
    just put together differently; but it makes a huge difference!
    Dude111
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/22 09:49:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by naxet76

I kind of feel guilty by admitting this but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
    Hey not to worry!!

We know they are the best right??

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/22 09:50:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra
    The whites get whipped to peaks, then added to the waiting batter.
    It makes the pancakes soooo light. Don't understand it, as the ingredients are the same, just put together differently; but it makes a huge difference!

It's all about the addition to the batter of all that air stored in the beaten to peaks egg whites, an ingredient that's missing from an egg straight from the shell..... Hence the term "light and airy".
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/05/24 00:30:15 (permalink)
    Shortchef:
    I don't have the box in front of me but I can tell you from the countless times I've made them:
    bisquick
    milk
    eggs
    to make them more melt in your mouth you add lime juice and 2 Tbl of sugar

Oh, and like Salustra, I beat the eggs for a bit first, although I don't separate them...I'll definitely try that next time

Dude:
    the only thing I guess I ought to really worry about is the fact that these delicious pancakes are adding pounds onto my scale!!!
    Dude111
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: My Mom's Pancakes 2007/06/03 05:41:50 (permalink)
    Yes well everything does that
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1