My New York "Roadfood" diary

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
planojim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 11:15:05 (permalink)
I had my first knish ever this summer at Yonnah Schimmels. After ordering it, the guy took it, tossed it into a microwave, and then gave it to me.

Needless to say....the crust was soggy, the outside scalding hot, the inside cold.

I guess I can consider myself dissed.

Thank God I was able to walk a few steps away and get that awful taste out of my mouth with some smoked sable from Russ and Daughters.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 12:22:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

There aren't hominy grits filled knishes, are there?
The Bear

They go nice with a good ol' kosher ham n' cheese sangwich!
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 14:06:28 (permalink)
Scallion, starting off by saying a place stinks because you hate knishes is not much for logic. Something like Dreamland stinks because I hate bbq. That's inane and bullying. Check yourself before you use words you learned in Philosophy 101. Your loss. As for following a cop's culinary beat, stick to rat-chewed Dunkin' Donuts and Tad's. Food should always appeal to the intellect? Frustrated lawyer watching to much Law and Order?
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 16:15:00 (permalink)
quote:
BT Posted - 01/14/2006 : 19:56:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Thank god BT didn't order a Knish

Uh, when I was walking from the F-line subway station at 2nd Ave. to Katz's I recall passing a place that advertised knishes in their window and I seriously though about getting one (potato if available). What horror would that have provoked?

BT now can you see the horror a Nish....... or Kin-nish can bring into this thread............
although the "K" is not silent, a native New Yorker will say it so fast that you will never hear the "K" it is a Nishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7923
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 16:24:28 (permalink)
BT,

Enjoyed reading your thread...
Ya should have gone to the Carnegie! I still say it's the best!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3760
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 16:40:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

BT now can you see the horror a Nish....... or Kin-nish can bring into this thread............
although the "K" is not silent, a native New Yorker will say it so fast that you will never hear the "K" it is a Nishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know who you are speaking with, but no one I know/knew has ever said "nish." Or for that matter, anyone whose dialect could be so confusing that you would think they were saying "nish."
cornfed
Cheeseburger
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 17:05:16 (permalink)
FP, perhaps you were in an Indian restaurant. Never, ever have I heard nish. Perhaps someone asked you, "Is this your niche?" You know, it is true they have them intellectuals up in the NYC.
sizz
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 17:34:48 (permalink)
you see BT I told you knish would bring out the worst in the old folks that prowl this web site looking for controversy
Bobs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 19:02:19 (permalink)
Sounds sooo good! I wish I has that type of food here.
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 19:37:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cornfed

Scallion, starting off by saying a place stinks because you hate knishes is not much for logic. Something like Dreamland stinks because I hate bbq. That's inane and bullying. Check yourself before you use words you learned in Philosophy 101. Your loss. As for following a cop's culinary beat, stick to rat-chewed Dunkin' Donuts and Tad's. Food should always appeal to the intellect? Frustrated lawyer watching to much Law and Order?

I'll get right on that Philosophy 101 review.

Maybe, while I'm doing that, you can brush up on your Reading Comprehension skills, and then maybe on your manners.

I didn't say that it stinks because I don't like knishes. I said I don't like knishes, and that it stinks. What I learned in Philosophy is that what you inferred is post hoc, propter hoc. Look it up.

Similarly, the cop didn't tell me about eating there. He told me something he had seen there in the course of an investigation.

And belittling cops ... well, that, of course, must be something other than "inane and bullying". It's just ignorant.

Maybe I'll have to use smaller words when I post to you.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 20:06:01 (permalink)
Whoa there, partner. It's only knishes. The best knishes, but knishes nevertheless.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 21:33:48 (permalink)
So this nice young couple who live in New York after getting married in the early 1920s pick Ratner's as their favorite restaurant. It's their place. They go all the time. For special occasions, just to get out, and any time at all.

And so it is for 10 years. Then, one early evening whilst they dined, the man's fish arrived; the wife's blintzes arrived. And just as the young man is about to cut into his fish, the fish comes to life and pleads: "Oh, please, don't eat me, don't eat me."

The man is freaked. His wife is shocked. They leave the restaurant. It's such a horror to the man that they never go to a restaurant again. The wife goes along with it.

That is, until a day or two before their 50th anniversary. The wife tiptoes around the subject. It would be nice to go out for dinner for their 50th.

The husband anticipates the event, and to show his appreciation for his wife's tolerance all these years, he broaches the subject first. "Tania," he says, "would you like to go out for dinner with me for our 50th anniversary?"

"Sure, Jack," she immediately answers. She knows her husband, and figured he'd come through for the big 5-0.

"Good," he says, but, would you mind terribly if we went to Wolfie's instead of Ratner's this time?"

"No, I wouldn't have it any other way, Jack. Wolfie's will be fine."

So they get decked out. The limo arrives. They go the few blocks to Wolfie's. Seated, she orders the blintzes; he orders the fish."

Their meals arrive. Her blintzes look cooked to perfection. His fish, beautifully delivered, is under a silver cover. He lifts the cover. And lo and behold, there's the fish. The fish pops up, looks at Jack and says, "What's the matter, you don't go to Ratner's any more?"

The Bear

cornfed
Cheeseburger
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 21:46:21 (permalink)
Now that's a joke.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/16 02:31:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bobs

Sounds sooo good! I wish I has that type of food here.

Bobs, New York has New York food and it can be wonderful, but Tennessee has their specialties too and they can also be wonderful. The one thing you probably do lack in a smaller community is the DENSITY of places. In a big city--New York and even my hometown of San Francisco, there's usually pretty good eating on every block and a variety of places within walking distance of most people's homes. But there's compensations for not living in a big city and I'll bet you know what they are better than most of us do.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/16 02:37:33 (permalink)
quote:

Whoa there, partner. It's only knishes. The best knishes, but knishes nevertheless.

True--and could we maybe move on to blintzes. That's another thing I didn't get while in NYC and probably should have (blueberry with sour cream, maybe or just plain cheese).

But most of us humans can only eat so much in a given period of time. I thought I was doing pretty well packing away a Katz's corned beef sandwich and 10 Dumpling House dumplings in the same afternoon. Then having a sizeable dinner.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/16 02:39:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

And so it is for 10 years. Then, one early evening whilst they dined, the man's fish arrived; the wife's blintzes arrived.

The Bear

I should have read further--we HAVE moved on to blintzes.
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/17 15:37:40 (permalink)
quote:

If you diss Yonah Schimmel's, you diss yourself. The best knishes in the world. Everything is superior. The sweet cheese knishes are heavenly. This is Jewish old school, the real thing just like Katz's if not more. Some of the above poster comments border on some other issue. Yonah is a destination place for any NYer with respect for tradition. Thankfully it has revived, due in large part to the newish Sunshine Theater. Business is brisk without changing the charm. This is NY to the bone, love it or leave it.

This is the kind of posting that soils internet boards the world over. I stated an opinion of a restaurant, one that I have been to literally hundreds of times, beginning when I was abut 3 years old, and this garbage gets posted in response. I said nothing vicious , nothing offensive and certainly nothing untrue. Makes me want to pull the plug in my internet connection.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/17 21:23:26 (permalink)
So these two guys meet on the street. One says to the other, "Hey, didn't I meet you in Chicago?"

To which the other responds, "I've never been to Chicago."

The other fellow scratches his chin and then says, "You know, come to think of it, I've never been to Chicago either."

"Yeah, must have been two other guys," concludes the other.
The Bear
sizz
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/20 21:22:19 (permalink)
From The Mediator (microfilmed from 1917-1919; on the same reel as The Jewish Bakers’ Voice), 8 August 1919, pg. 12, col. 1:

“K” in Knisch as in Pigs’ Knuckles

It is pronounced, or, better, they are pronounced – k-nisches, the accent being smeared impartially over the k , as in the word k-nuckles, when used in connection with pigs’ knuckles.

azspots
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/06/21 18:06:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

After a few hours in the Met and a walk across Central Park to the West Side, I subwayed down to 50th St. where, upon emerging from the station I decided to try a slice of pizza from Famiglia which bills itself as the “official pizza of the New York Yankees”. This is mass market pizza, no coal-fired ovens or any of that stuff here, but it was quite acceptable and I’d love having anything as good in Arizona.

Hi BT - not sure where you are in Arizona, but I know where some darned close to REAL N.Y. pizza is....I grew up in New York and after 25 years of searching for NY pizza - I FOUND IT!!! It is a little place in Tempe, AZ., Venezia's by name on the Southeast corner of Mill & Southern...in a small shopping center.

It is SOOOOOO very close, maybe needs a speck more oregano (just a speck, mind you) and go back to selling Coke products, NOT pepsi.

Just an fyi....and for anyone else in the metro-Phoenix area, I just saved you ALOT of looking.
Furgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/06/21 23:37:09 (permalink)
I enjoyed the little food travelogue you posted. My family and I took a quick trip to NYC in April and we, too, sought out The Dumpling House. AWESOME! We were the first customers of the day and got there as they were making trays and trays of the dumplings. As we planned to eat lunch elsewhere, we decided to get 15 dumplings to share, as well as two orders of sesame pancake (50 cents each for huge pieces of fried sesame bread, filled with slivers of scallion). We went to the back counter to eat and, yes, it really does seat only 4 people. One of the coolest things about the location of the dumpling house is...as you stand facing the shop, if you look to your left, the Empire State Building stands clearly and triumphantly in the distance, perfectly framed by the buildings of this part of Chinatown.
It was a great morning for our family!
Furgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/06/24 17:54:04 (permalink)
Oops. My bad. I meant the Chrysler Building, not the Empire State Building. I was expecting to find an indignant response to the mistake in my last post--I've been spared!

BT
Filet Mignon
RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/06/28 04:17:23 (permalink)
Thanks azspots and Furgs. My AZ place is in Green Valley (20 miles south of Tucson). A little far to go to Tempe for pizza, but I appreciate your thoughts. I'm also glad someone else backs me up on the Dumpling House. But I'm curious--how did you discover them?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1