My New York "Roadfood" diary

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2006/01/08 13:43:44 (permalink)

My New York "Roadfood" diary

Day 1--The train was late, it was cold and raining so after checking into my hotel around 2 PM, I just wanted a quick bite of lunch--which I obtained across the street at the Chelsea Papaya : 2 Sabrett hot dogs slathered with mustard and onion relish with a diet soda. Then I headed uptown on the 6th Ave. subway to Macy’s to check out the after Christmas sale but didn’t see anything and by then it was dinner time.

I walked over to Park Ave and took the subway back down to Astor place and a crosstown bus to 6th and first Ave where I ate at Banjara, an Indian place which Zagat’s rates among the best in New York. This area (actually in the East Village) is apparently known to locals as “curry hill”, a pun on the nearby “Murray Hill” area because there are many Indian restaurants. Banjara, however, was excellent--I had a fiery chicken vindaloo which differed from what I’m used to in having no obvious tamarind in the sauce. Anyway, it was excellent (as were the accompaniments I ordered, especially the raita which was probably the best I’ve ever had) and, at $28 including 2 Kingfisher beers, the price seemed consistent with what I’d expect to pay in San Francisco. Sadly, though, I feel I should report that the vindaloo was at least as fiery on the way out as on the way in--be warned.

Day 2--Slept a bit late and decided to skip breakfast in favor of “brunch” at Katz’s. Subway’d down and walked around a bit, then went in and had a corned beef sandwich on rye with a “half done” pickle. The corned beef was superb, in part because it had plenty of fat. It was also cooked to the point of extreme tenderness. I have to quibble with the pickle, however. I definitely asked for “half done”--what I got had spent, I think, maybe seconds in the pickling brine and was hard to distinguish from an unpickled cucumber. Yeah, at $14 or so it was not a cheap sandwich, but I think it was a classic of its kind and so was worth it.

After eating at Katz’s, I went on down and ogled the World Trade Center site, walked around Wall St. and then back tracked for a mid-afternoon snack at a place I couldn’t leave town without trying: The Dumpling House on Eldridge St. in Chinatown. Here you crowd into a narrow storefront with the locals, elbow your way to a counter and assertively order. What you order is excellent fried dumplings (known in SF as pot stickers), 5 for $1 which has to be the bargain of the decade. When you get them you can do as I did, buy a soda for another $1, then elbow your way to a small counter at the back (seats maybe 4 people), douse the dumplings in Sriracha hot sauce and eat them. At $3 for 10 dumplings and a soda, this is, I think, the best lunch bargain in America (the dumplings alone can cost about $0.60 apiece in SF). I also saw other customers, mostly Chinese-speaking, order luscious looking soups (I saw corn, hot/sour, dumpling in broth and noodle soups).

In fact, the soup looked so good that it gave me an idea for dinner: The weather being rather raw, a warm steaming bowl of ramen sounded good (it’s my staple in SF when the fog blows in) so I headed to Menchanko-Tei on 55th St. between 5th and 6th Aves. Slurped up with a large Kirin, it cost $18 including tip, once again about what you’d pay in SF.

Finally, after taking in a movie in Times Square, I grabbed another Sabrett dog on the way to bed.

Day 3-- 2-block walk over to 5th Ave. took me to Eisenberg’s Sandwich Shop for a cup of coffee and a passable bagel with excellent lox and cream cheese.

But I had to have more dumplings; I am seriously addicted to them. Only a block away from the Dumpling House is another dumpling spot, Fried Dumpling at 99 Allen St., so I headed there and got a double order (10 for $2). Frankly, the dumplings seemed better at the Dumpling House but Fried Dumpling is a whisker more eat-in friendly, offering a couple of small tables in front. To be fair, though, I hit Dumpling House at a busy time and got my order from a fresh batch whereas I intentionally hit Fried Dumpling before any lunchtime crowd and my order had been sitting a while.

Anyway, after I had my dumpling fix I headed uptown to the Metropolitan Museum but on the short walk from the Lexington Ave. subway over to 5th Ave. I grabbed some fresh honey-roasted nuts from a street vendor--darned good.

After a few hours in the Met and a walk across Central Park to the West Side, I subwayed down to 50th St. where, upon emerging from the station I decided to try a slice of pizza from Famiglia which bills itself as the “official pizza of the New York Yankees”. This is mass market pizza, no coal-fired ovens or any of that stuff here, but it was quite acceptable and I’d love having anything as good in Arizona.

For dinner, I got a craving for Thai which I haven’t had since leaving San Francisco for the winter. There seems to be some kind of consensus that THE Thai restaurant in New York is Sripraphai on 39th Ave. in Woodside, Queens. To be honest, I simply wasn’t able to get a map that shows the kind of detail about the outer boroughs that would allow me to be sure the 7 train to Woodside would get me anywhere near the restaurant, so I decided second best would have to do. That meant one of several places on or near 9th Ave. in the upper 40’s and 50’s (Hell’s Kitchen/Clinton). I picked Pam Real Thai on 49th just off 9th Ave (between 9th and 10th). I had my usual beef salad and chicken mussamun curry. Here, the beef salad dressing seemed to make little use of nam pla (fish sauce) as it always does in San Francisco and seemed to put more emphasis on lime but it tasted very good. The curry also was a bit different--thinner than I am used to but very tasty and containing lots of peanuts (mussamun is not a hot curry). I washed all this down with 2 excellent Thai iced teas.

And then I went to the movies--King Kong at the AMC 25 on 42nd St. just off Times Square--and following the flick, I just had to see if the theater where Kong was supposedly exhibited in the movie really exists, so I hiked the 5 blocks to 7th Ave at 46th (the street signs and unique neon display are very recognizable in the movie) to see if there was an “Alhambra Theater” there. In fact, it’s the Palace Theater and the musical “Lestat” is currently playing there. Then is was on up Broadway to the 50th St. station to catch the 7th Ave. local back to my hotel but, feeling a few new hunger pains I grabbed what turned out to be a pretty good tuna salad sandwich to go at the Majestic Deli (50th at 8th Ave.)

Day 4--Started the day with a chocolate croissant and coffee (good, but I’ve had better in SF) at a little place near my hotel--frankly, I can’t recall the name but it’s on the corner of 23rd and 8th Ave. Since I’d had no Italian food since coming to town (other than mass market pizza), for lunch I decided to try a little place on Prince St. in SoHo named Il Corallo Trattoria which Zagat rated highly (23 on food) and described as “friendly” and “cheap for SoHo.” My $20 lunch consisted of a good (not great) soup of white beans and spinach in broth and a heaping bowl of farfalle Amatriciana which was heavily sauced and very good.

Then I headed uptown to check out the skating at Rockefeller Center and for another crack at the after-Christmas sale merchandise on 5th Ave. By dinner time I was pretty worn down and needed a spicy pick me up--some Sichuan food seemed the ticket and an excellent source was nearby: Wu Liang Ye (a 3-location New York semi-chain but highly rated by all the guides I checked). I had an appetizer of Dan Dan noodles, a dish I’ve e had often in SF and love, but I have to say that here it was revelatory: plenty of heat but vinegary and with a wonderful hint of star anise. This I followed with a main course of “smokey beef with capsicum” which showed an unusual 2 chile symbol on the menu, but compared to the noodles, was somewhat disappointing (where was the fire?) though tasty. The tab, at $28 and change was the highest of my trip but quite reasonable I thought.

Day 5--Left New York in late afternoon, but first I breakfasted at Murray’s Bagels (which looks chainish but busy) on 8th Ave. The onion bagel was really excellent, the massive glob of mildly lox-infused cream cheese was mediocre (had I known they didn’t offer actual lox--slices of fish--I probably would have eaten elsewhere).

For lunch, I had to have more of those Dumpling House dumplings. The truth is, these are not the best Chinese fried dumplings I’ve ever had (that honor probably belongs to a newly opened place on Larkin St. 2 blocks from my San Francisco apartment), but they are by far the cheapest really good ones and I just plain love dumplings.

After another brief subway ride and a stroll through the West Village it was time to head for the station. Adios, NYC! With luck, the train will be on time to Chicago in the morning and I’ll be able to grab lunch at the Berghoff.

Day 6--Or not. Berghoff is closed Sundays. So I hopped an “El” to Lincoln Park and grabbed lunch at a little taqueria called Los 3 Panchos. To a west coaster, my "super burrito seemed an interesting fusion of Mexican and Lebanese, the wrapper resembling lavash as much as a flour tortilla and the “crema” inside being closely related to mid-eastern yogurt sauces. Still, it was tasty and the green sauce offered on the side was yummy in liberal amounts.

And so, as I wait for the next train out of Chicago, here I sit in Starbucks using their web access to send this off.

As an aside, I’m sure most of you know by now )there having been major articles in the New York Times and elsewhere) that the Second Ave. Deli is closed, probably for good, as the management claims they cannot afford their landlord’s new rent demand.

52 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/08 14:48:37 (permalink)
    New York is such a fine place for food finds and it sounds to me like you explored it very good. There are so many places there that are excellent. I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

I hae visited NYC many times and always enjoyed the many options there.

Paul E. smith
    knoxville, TN
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/08 15:26:59 (permalink)
    Nice report ... A lot of places we don't hear about very often ... I'll have to take note.

Thanks.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/08 18:01:35 (permalink)
    Two questions:

What were in the dumplings and why (how did you) choose Los 3 Panchos? There are so many terrific places in Chicago that it souned as if you ended up at one of our typical (nothing out of the oridinary) burrito stands.

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/08 21:32:08 (permalink)
    Good job BT................ that tour of NY had you walking big time..... a lot of folks do not realize that walking NY City is a great way to get around ...walk eat, walk eat, walk eat, walk eat................ lol I see your riding the rail back to Tucson.... do they still call that train to Chicago the " Empire State Express"? and then on your way south you'll be riding on a train they call the "City of New Orleans" ..sounds like the words to a great song............... Happy Trails BT
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/09 02:39:17 (permalink)
    Great report. I look forward to meeting you next week and taking in the culinary delights of southern Arizona and la frontera.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/11 04:42:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mousec

Two questions:

What were in the dumplings and why (how did you) choose Los 3 Panchos? There are so many terrific places in Chicago that it souned as if you ended up at one of our typical (nothing out of the oridinary) burrito stands.

I had a 5-hr layover on the train. I hoped to have lunch at Berghoff but forgot about it being Sunday. I hiked down Adams from the station and found it closed. I had no Chicago guide books with me but I pretty much figured I wouldn't find anyplace open in the Loop and vaguely remembered (from a previous trip I did to Chicago like the one just completed to New York) Lincoln Park and environs as having lots of places, so I kept walking down Adams to the Brown Line El station, climbed aboard and got off at Diversy (based on the look of the "hood" from up on the El). I walked down the street a few blocks, passed Starbucks, and didn't see anything interesting until I came to a corner with an Italian joint that looked interesting--but it turned out also to be closed for another hour (until noon--keep in mind it's about 28 degrees, I'm standing out in the cold and have to be back to the station in 3 hours). I remembered passing Los 3 Panchos. Yes, it looked like a burrito stand but in San Francisco I often eat at such places and I hadn't had a decent taco or burrito in weeks. Besides, the place was warm and the girl behind the counter was friendly. I don't regret the choice.

About the dumplings--officially, they contain pork with scallions. In San Francisco, they'd be called garden variety potstickers. I love 'em.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/11 04:50:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

Good job BT................ that tour of NY had you walking big time..... a lot of folks do not realize that walking NY City is a great way to get around ...walk eat, walk eat, walk eat, walk eat................ lol I see your riding the rail back to Tucson.... do they still call that train to Chicago the " Empire State Express"? and then on your way south you'll be riding on a train they call the "City of New Orleans" ..sounds like the words to a great song............... Happy Trails BT

Paul, the New York to Chicago train is "The Lake Shore Limited". The train from Chicago to LA via Tucson is "The Texas Eagle"--goes a bit west of the "City of New Orleans". Actually, shortly after we left Chicago I fired up iTunes on my laptop and the first song that played was Arlo's "City of New Orleans". We were passing through Joliet, not Kankakee, and ultimately, St. Louis, not Memphis and San Antonio, not New Orleans. But I've ridden the City of New Orleans before and hope to again.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1876
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/11 19:18:19 (permalink)
    BT ,

Excellent trip report on the Big Apple . It is amazing what kind of fine restaurants you can find with a littl bit of research .

The 2nd Ave. Deli is now closed . Newspapers in NYC today showed the signs coming down.
    The landlord wanted to raise the rent $9,000 on the new lease .

There are many great restaurants in the outer boroughs also , subways and busses can get you to most and if you dare a Cab can get you the rest of the way .

Very enjoyable reading

Benzee

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/11 23:02:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by mousec

Two questions:

Than;s for the f/u. Next time that you are in Chicago you may want to check out Ed's Potsticker House.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=712&highlight=eds

I had a 5-hr layover on the train. I hoped to have lunch at Berghoff but forgot about it being Sunday. I hiked down Adams from the station and found it closed. I had no Chicago guide books with me but I pretty much figured I wouldn't find anyplace open in the Loop and vaguely remembered (from a previous trip I did to Chicago like the one just completed to New York) Lincoln Park and environs as having lots of places, so I kept walking down Adams to the Brown Line El station, climbed aboard and got off at Diversy (based on the look of the "hood" from up on the El). I walked down the street a few blocks, passed Starbucks, and didn't see anything interesting until I came to a corner with an Italian joint that looked interesting--but it turned out also to be closed for another hour (until noon--keep in mind it's about 28 degrees, I'm standing out in the cold and have to be back to the station in 3 hours). I remembered passing Los 3 Panchos. Yes, it looked like a burrito stand but in San Francisco I often eat at such places and I hadn't had a decent taco or burrito in weeks. Besides, the place was warm and the girl behind the counter was friendly. I don't regret the choice.

About the dumplings--officially, they contain pork with scallions. In San Francisco, they'd be called garden variety potstickers. I love 'em.
    [url][/url][url][/url]
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3746
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 09:24:07 (permalink)
    BT -- excellent trip report. I have some new places to hit in NYC when I get there again!
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 12:14:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I walked over to Park Ave and took the subway back down to Astor place and a crosstown bus to 6th and first Ave where I ate at Banjara, an Indian place which Zagat’s rates among the best in New York. This area (actually in the East Village) is apparently known to locals as “curry hill”, a pun on the nearby “Murray Hill” area because there are many Indian restaurants.

You got that a little backwards. 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues and "Curry Hill" are 2 different things. "Curry Hill" refers to Lexington around 34th to 23rd. Lots of Pakistani mixed in with the Indian restaurants, along with some amazing spice shops. East 6th is a residential block lined with Indian restaurants (although there have been a lot of japanese placed moving onto that block).

quote:
    Day 2--Slept a bit late and decided to skip breakfast in favor of “brunch” at Katz’s. Subway’d down and walked around a bit, then went in and had a corned beef sandwich on rye with a “half done” pickle. The corned beef was superb, in part because it had plenty of fat. It was also cooked to the point of extreme tenderness. I have to quibble with the pickle, however. I definitely asked for “half done”--what I got had spent, I think, maybe seconds in the pickling brine and was hard to distinguish from an unpickled cucumber.

Minor quibble here- what you had was a "half-sour", and you're right, it's nowhere near as good as a "full-sour". I personally think you made a huge mistake in getting the corned beef over the pastrami at Katz's.

quote:

Only a block away from the Dumpling House is another dumpling spot, Fried Dumpling at 99 Allen St., so I headed there and got a double order (10 for $2).

Don't tell anyone about Fried Dumpling!!! It's always too crowded as it is. It's my absolute favorite spot in the city for a quick bite.

quote:

After a few hours in the Met and a walk across Central Park to the West Side, I subwayed down to 50th St. where, upon emerging from the station I decided to try a slice of pizza from Famiglia which bills itself as the “official pizza of the New York Yankees”. This is mass market pizza, no coal-fired ovens or any of that stuff here, but it was quite acceptable and I’d love having anything as good in Arizona.

Yeah, Famiglia used to be good, now they are a big chain, and not much better than Sbarro's.

Thanks for the great report. Next time in NYC, be sure to get some real pizza, both kinds: brick oven (Lombardi's is the Mecca) and standard Neopolitan pizzaria (there's literally hundreds of great ones, my favorites are New Pizza Town on the UWS and Luigi's on the UES).
    sizz
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 14:36:06 (permalink)
    It was my belief that all the wisenheimers as myself left New York and ventured west but I see there is still one left...........
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 14:53:33 (permalink)
    BT, thanks for a great report, and fpczyz is right about walking around being a great way to enjoy the city. The last time I was there on business, we stayed at a hotel on Park Ave close to the Met Life building. Walked to Chinatown and back for dinner one evening.
    Pigiron
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 16:50:44 (permalink)
    quote:

It was my belief that all the wisenheimers as myself left New York and ventured west but I see there is still one left...........

Does this refer to me? Did I say something offensive?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 17:35:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

Minor quibble here- what you had was a "half-sour", and you're right, it's nowhere near as good as a "full-sour". I personally think you made a huge mistake in getting the corned beef over the pastrami at Katz's.

I have to stick with what I've said. I have always preferred "half-done" pickles to "full sour", and lament that they are hard to get away from the east coast, everywhere else I've eaten them which has included many places up and down the coast (after all, I grew up there) from New York to Miami Beach. Katz's pickle was not, IMHO, "half done"--it was barely pickled at all, but even so I actually didn't dislike it, I just wished for a bit more time in the pickle barrel.

As for the sandwich, the awful truth is I don't like pastrami nearly as much as I like corned beef. For me it's "OK" but I really love corned beef.

quote:
    Don't tell anyone about Fried Dumpling!!! It's always too crowded as it is. It's my absolute favorite spot in the city for a quick bite.

I didn't blow your secret, several guidebook writers did, but I have to repeat--if you haven't tried the Dumpling House (sadly, even more crowded) only a block and a half away, you should.

quote:
    Yeah, Famiglia used to be good, now they are a big chain, and not much better than Sbarro's.

IMHO it was better than the Sbarro's in every US mall, though maybe not better than the ones in NYC. I didn't try Sbarro's there--that would have been too humiliating. I did look for the opportunity to have a coal oven pizza but I weigh more than a few pounds too much as it is and just stuffing one down to say I did it didn't seem like something I wanted to do (some of the best places apparently don't sell them "by the slice"). After all, I have had them before. This wasn't my first trip to New York. Just my first trip since early 2001.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 17:37:59 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Not to me. As I read what you said, it was constructive debate which I had hoped to provoke and I appreciate it.
    sizz
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/12 19:36:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Pigiron Posted - 01/12/2006 : 16:50:44
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Sorry Pigiron, I just thought your critiquing of BT's report was a little on the nitty gritty side ........... but I see BT took no offence so I'm backing off on my Wisenheimer remark......... sorry, and it's real good to see BT is once again "provoking constructive debate " ............. Open the flood gates. .......Frank C.
    Pigiron
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 16:08:35 (permalink)
    quote:

Sorry Pigiron, I just thought your critiquing of BT's report was a little on the nitty gritty side

I'm not sure what you mean by "nitty gritty", but I was simply pointing out that if you order a "half-done" pickle, you will probably get a blank stare. It's called a "half-sour", at least in NYC.
    sizz
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 16:44:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Pigiron Posted - 01/14/2006 : 16:08:35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Sorry Pigiron, I just thought your critiquing of BT's report was a little on the nitty gritty side

I'm not sure what you mean by "nitty gritty", but I was simply pointing out that if you order a "half-done" pickle, you will probably get a blank stare. It's called a "half-sour", at least in NYC.

Half-done, half-sour ....ok ok how about "to close to call"
    Thank god BT didn't order a Knish

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 19:51:52 (permalink)
    quote:

if you order a "half-done" pickle, you will probably get a blank stare. It's called a "half-sour", at least in NYC.

Sorry, but I got their version of what I asked for--they had a pile of quartered ones there ready to be added to somebody's sandwich plate--it just was a bit less "sour" than what I am used to (but what I am used to is a whole lot less sour than what most places would call "full sour"). We called 'em "half-done" in Washington (Hofberg's), Baltimore (Atman's) and Miami (Pumpernick's or Wolfie's) when I was growing up and they were standard deli fare, but I'm sure the average pickle server could interpret from "half-done" to "half-sour" if necessary, don't you? Anyway they did at Katz's.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 19:56:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Thank god BT didn't order a Knish

Uh, when I was walking from the F-line subway station at 2nd Ave. to Katz's I recall passing a place that advertised knishes in their window and I seriously though about getting one (potato if available). What horror would that have provoked?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 23:14:26 (permalink)
    That would be Yonah Schimmel's. It's an institution. I never eat there, because, one, I hate knishes, and, two, a cop friend told me a horrible story about the place. For my money it's a pit.
    Pigiron
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 23:39:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Uh, when I was walking from the F-line subway station at 2nd Ave. to Katz's I recall passing a place that advertised knishes in their window and I seriously though about getting one (potato if available). What horror would that have provoked?

Yeah, Yonah Schimmel's. They've been in that spot forever. Personally, I think they are too big and too dense and not all that flavorful, but it is an institution. I'm partial to square (fried) knishes anyway.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/14 23:57:53 (permalink)
    BT,
    I enjoyed your report with vicarious delight. It was quite engaging. I thought it was especially cool that you did your little research project about the theatre after seeing "King Kong." Nice touch.

It's funny, being right across the river, I rarely avail myself of New York's offerings, gastronomic and cultural.

Oh, sure, I get there more than I realize...it does become a part of your life. However, more often than not, you get to see something in NYC when friends or relatives come in and you give them the grand tour.

Fact is, we've got wonderful food in NJ. In fact, I'd put our Italian food up against the Italian food anywhere...any of the boroughs, and certainly a lot of Italy itself.

After moving to Vermont in a couple, I'll be back to eat every few weeks, though, rest assured, I have many favorite haunts in the Green Mountain State.

In any case, glad you consumed and imbibed happily.
    The Bear

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 01:42:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

That would be Yonah Schimmel's.

By golly, that's right! It's a hard name to forget but I had until you prodded my memory. Is that your hood?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 01:58:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

BT,
    I thought it was especially cool that you did your little research project about the theatre after seeing "King Kong." Nice touch.

It's funny, being right across the river, I rarely avail myself of New York's offerings, gastronomic and cultural.

I grew up in the suburbs of Washington, DC and when I was a senior in high school my friends and I all discovered we had never been to the major tourist sites so we skipped school one day and did them all: White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol Building and the rest (the Smithsonian was an exception--every DC-area school kid has at least one field trip there). It's not unusual to overlook the opportunities staring you in the face.

As to the King Kong bit, I just enjoy seeing things with which I have a personal familiarity portrayed on the silver screen. As a San Franciscan (for the last 24 years), I loved the fact that the various Star Trek movies placed Star Fleet Headquarters in the Presidio and I've watched Star Trek IV many times for all the little SF in jokes (like the need for "exact change" to get on a Muni bus or the failure of the locals to find people dressed up like the Enterprise crew worthy of notice). And, of course, there are any number of of other SF-located flicks I can criticize when they make neighborhoods that are miles apart seem close or otherwise play games with geography (classic example: The movie "Pacific Heights" was filmed not in the ritzy neighborhood of that name but in the much more middle class Potrero Hill but I had fun looking at the shots and figuring out where they were taken from).
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 03:33:34 (permalink)
    If you diss Yonah Schimmel's, you diss yourself. The best knishes in the world. Everything is superior. The sweet cheese knishes are heavenly. This is Jewish old school, the real thing just like Katz's if not more. Some of the above poster comments border on some other issue. Yonah is a destination place for any NYer with respect for tradition. Thankfully it has revived, due in large part to the newish Sunshine Theater. Business is brisk without changing the charm. This is NY to the bone, love it or leave it.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 08:36:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

If you diss Yonah Schimmel's, you diss yourself. The best knishes in the world. Everything is superior. The sweet cheese knishes are heavenly. This is Jewish old school, the real thing just like Katz's if not more. Some of the above poster comments border on some other issue. Yonah is a destination place for any NYer with respect for tradition. Thankfully it has revived, due in large part to the newish Sunshine Theater. Business is brisk without changing the charm. This is NY to the bone, love it or leave it.

Take a chill pill, Phil. And make sure you know whereof you speak before you spout.
    Let's try to keep this from getting ad hominem. I'm entitled to dislike knishes, and to find Yonah Schimmel's unappealing. And just by way of bona fides, my father was born on Rivington St, and I've lived within a short walk of Houston Street for the better part of forty years, and so I don't need a lecture about "respect for tradition", thanks.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: My New York "Roadfood" diary 2006/01/15 10:48:31 (permalink)
    There aren't hominy grits filled knishes, are there?
    The Bear
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1