My Peanut soup, with a twist!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2010/12/12 12:31:26 (permalink)

My Peanut soup, with a twist!

Elvis would love this, I put bacon in it! The last pic shows the bacon.

post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/12/12 12:35:54

34 Replies Related Threads

Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 13:45:47 (permalink)
    That looks great! What inspired you to make it?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 14:02:06 (permalink)
    Could that double as a salad dressing if cold?

I'm being completely serious at this time.
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 15:02:20 (permalink)
    Gosh, I don't know, Chewy, this may be the first thing you've posted that I wouldn't try.   But I'd love the bowl and the soft drink.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 16:54:48 (permalink)
    Route 11

That looks great! What inspired you to make it?

Peanut Soup is popular in the South. There was a recent homepage pic on this site recently and recipe for it, I added the bacon, as a twist, contrasting flavors and such.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 16:57:02 (permalink)
    mar52

Could that double as a salad dressing if cold?

I'm being completely serious at this time.

I don't see why not Mar, maybe with a little Sesame oil added in!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 17:09:33 (permalink)
    MellowRoast

Gosh, I don't know, Chewy, this may be the first thing you've posted that I wouldn't try.   But I'd love the bowl and the soft drink.

It's a big seller in the South, not common anywhere else I know of, no one who has tried it hasn't liked it. A little sample first? If you like Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you'll like this. Try a small batch at home, takes about 5 minutes to make, Mellow, the recipe is posted here in the recipes section.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 17:54:45 (permalink)
    Coconut milk and chili flakes or powder might also give it a Thai twist.

I don't know if I could eat an entire bowl of peanut soup.   It sounds and looks very rich.  Is it brothy or creamy?
    carollwdls
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/13 20:56:18 (permalink)
    SCREECH! I'm headed for the Recipes section ~~ This looks awesome, CTF, as does everything you post!
    CiaoMeOwww! YOW! SBQ 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/14 17:02:06 (permalink)
    mar52

Coconut milk and chili flakes or powder might also give it a Thai twist.

I don't know if I could eat an entire bowl of peanut soup.   It sounds and looks very rich.  Is it brothy or creamy?

Creamy, it is rich but not overly, I don't think.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/15 07:03:17 (permalink)
    I applaud your culinary creativity. I have had peanut soup, and it was good, but nothing I would care to have again. Its not so much that it was rich, it was just too much after about half a bowl. I am sure yours is delicious, however.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/15 12:28:01 (permalink)
    annpeeples

I applaud your culinary creativity. I have had peanut soup, and it was good, but nothing I would care to have again. Its not so much that it was rich, it was just too much after about half a bowl. I am sure yours is delicious, however.

Thanks Ann, like anything else there is soup then really good soup. Pride in what you serve is the key. In this business many folks make the mistake of making money their first priority, so they cut corners at every step. It usually catches up to them, hence the public stops coming, and another restaurant bites the dust. Money follows pride as people recognize really good food and are willing to pay for it and will be customers for life if the food is consistently made with pride as the motivator.

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 820
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 15:22:16 (permalink)
    I want that right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 17:01:14 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

MellowRoast

It's a big seller in the South, not common anywhere else I know of, no one who has tried it hasn't liked it. A little sample first? If you like Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you'll like this. Try a small batch at home, takes about 5 minutes to make, Mellow, the recipe is posted here in the recipes section.

I live in the south and I have never seen peanut soup on any menu.   ... We fry, parch, boil peanuts, and make peanut butter.    The first time I ever seen peanuts severed as and ingredient of side dishes or in cooking of food (other than candy or cakes) is Asian cooking.    And, I don't care for good peanuts in my Chinese veggs.

So please list the Southern Restaurants in the South that serve Peanut Soup.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 17:32:07 (permalink)
    Here are  four that I have been to  and  listed in  order of  preference:

Roanoke Hotel      Roanoke,  Virginia

Kings Arms  Tavern    Colonial  Williamsburg

Southern Kitchen     Virginia

Surrey  restaurant     Virginia

edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 18:49:03 (permalink)
    Greymo

That ain't the South.   Apparently, a Virginia dish.   ... A quick check, I see this is a West African & African American ethnic dish.    Since this is from Virginia, I presume this is a Gullah dish that is served at Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia & Museums.  http://www.history.org/almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm   And a West Coast Black History recipe  https://www.raleys.com/www/apps/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipeid=83313

The only other restaurants that I find listing peanut soup are in New York city.   The only thing Southern about his dish are the peanuts;   ... from South America ???
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/12/16 19:14:46
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 20:00:04 (permalink)
    I  would have to say  that  I consider Virginia to be a Southern state..............I do  not understand why you think it is not.  Incidentally,  I  also  had  peanut soup in   Charleston ,  So.  Carolina.  Is  that  Southern enough for you?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 20:07:20 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 20:22:58 (permalink)
    I was not talking down your peanut
    nut soup....
    post edited by annpeeples - 2010/12/16 20:32:15
    edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 20:37:07 (permalink)
     Chewy's statement "It's a big seller in the South, not common anywhere else I know of,...". implying this is served in every Southern (or most) restaurants is not true.   It is an ethnic dish having its roots in Virginia. Because Virginia was the first state to grow peanuts and was a major port for the importation of slaves from West Africa.       ... As far as Virginia being Southern, that been debatable since the State slit during the Civil War. Part of it was Yankee.

Greymo, so you've had the dish in South Carolina.  That is the location of the Gullah descendants of the West Africans.   I suspect that you might also find the dish in an ethnic restaurant in Savanna, Ga. too.   But that still doesn't make this a "Southern" dish.   It is an ethnic dish served in the African American/West African restaurants in the Northern and Western US too.

edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 20:53:04 (permalink)
    Greymo

Oh,  here we go!
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6538/middleton-place-restaurant

I guess that was the review posted a few days ago.  That was the first time I've ever heard of Peanut Soup.    ... But since there is no date on the review or the post, it is hard to tell how old it is.

But, here we go too::::: 2003 thread .... http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Peanut-Soup-m26223.aspx
    edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/16 22:35:48 (permalink)
    Trivia about Hotel Roanoke: Hotel Roanoke is owned by Virgina Tech and operated by Doubletree Hotels.   "If you've eaten peanut soup at the Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, you've had a taste of local black history. In 1940, chef Fred Brown, who was black, created the thick, rich, caramel-colored potage that is still one of the hotel's signature dishes."
    http://www.roanoke.com/community/virginia/history/wb/193220
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 09:39:52 (permalink)
    I don't know about all this mumbo jumbo about it being an "ethnic" dish today. While peanut soup may have come from slaves, so have a lot of southern cooking dishes. And those dishes have come to be the foundation of southern cooking, transcending its African roots.

While it's true the West African culture created this dish, and slaves brought it to the table, the dish was not relegated to slave quarters, and became a Virginian staple, not simply a meal served in black homes. Again, transcending its African roots and becoming a decidedly Virginian dish here in the Americas.

Peanut soup was popular among the Colonials. I think it's less a Southern dish, and more a Virginian/Colonial dish. Served on the the table at Mount Vernon to George and Martha Washington, to Colonial politicos in Alexandria, and served at taverns and homes in Williamsburg since the colonial days. More rare outside of VA, but I did see it on the menu at one place in New Bern, NC.

As per VA not being southern, um, the Capital of the CSA was in Virginia. Oh sure, the mountain people in the northwest portion of the original state, were against slavery, and seceeded to make WV, but VA, as it's known today, is a Southern state. It's Maryland that is questionable.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 10:10:22 (permalink)
    Scorereader

As per VA not being southern, um, the Capital of the CSA was in Virginia. Oh sure, the mountain people in the northwest portion of the original state, were against slavery, and seceeded to make WV, but VA, as it's known today, is a Southern state. It's Maryland that is questionable.

Not only is Virginia the South, but many folks here in RI and even in NY consider the state of Delaware the South. I personally don't. However even parts of Maryland are considered  more southern than northern, hey our own OC Dreamer originally from Baltimore, is the first  (and only) Baltimore native I met who actually has a southern accent  however just about all of the I95 corridor going through Maryland is certainly more Northern than Southern and Baltimore in my opinion  probably has more in common with Philly (culturally and even accent wise) than any other city. However many consider the Northern VA DC suburbs which still only extend west to Haymarket and South to Dumfries (per Rand McNally which is updated yearly)  to be more Northern than Southern

post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/12/17 10:12:52
    edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 15:48:33 (permalink)
    Thanks, wanderingjew  ... exactly ...   The point I made above was that Peanut Soup was a Virginia dish and claimed as an ethnic dish by African/West African Americans.  It is not a common Southern dish served in most Southern restaurants as stated above.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 17:12:43 (permalink)
    edwmax

Greymo

That ain't the South.   Apparently, a Virginia dish.   ... A quick check, I see this is a West African & African American ethnic dish.    Since this is from Virginia, I presume this is a Gullah dish that is served at Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia & Museums.  http://www.history.org/almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm   And a West Coast Black History recipe  https://www.raleys.com/www/apps/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipeid=83313

The only other restaurants that I find listing peanut soup are in New York city.   The only thing Southern about his dish are the peanuts;   ... from South America ???

Robert E Lee would disagree with your geography views.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 17:19:40 (permalink)
    edwmax

Thanks, wanderingjew  ... exactly ...   The point I made above was that Peanut Soup was a Virginia dish and claimed as an ethnic dish by African/West African Americans.  It is not a common Southern dish served in most Southern restaurants as stated above.

Oh for crying out loud he didn't agree with you. Peanut soup is a Southern dish now. And Virginia is a Southern state. Now being from Georgia you must not agree. But General Robert E. Lee, of Virginia, and General Stonewall Jackson, of Virginia and General J.E.B. Stuart, of Virginia might not agree with your notion that Virginia isn't a Southern state. Come to think of it, as I recall from my history books, Richmond, a city in Virginia, was the capital of the Confederate States of America.

Hmm. Confederate States of America. Weren't they somewhere in the South?

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/12/17 17:22:47
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 17:46:37 (permalink)
    edwmax

Virigina, is a Southern state.

The Capital of the South was Richmond. And Richmond is in...wait for it....wait for it...............VIRGINIA!

Are Yankees moving into Northern VA? Yes.

Are Yankees moving into North Carolina? Yes

Atlanta, GA? Yes.

The southern population explosion, in VA, NC, TN, GA, SC, KY is due to Northerners moving south. Call it the Northern expansion, it you will. 

The only reason I said Maryland was on the border, is because historically, it was a slave trade state, but fought to keep the Union. A sort of hybrid thing, there. But, culturally, is mostly southern. Although Baltimore had a swing of South v. North - when you look at the Railroads which led to great espansion to the Mid-West (Ohio) with Balto serving as the shipping port. But Annapolis? Southern.

Anything south of the Mason-Dixon line, is Southern to me.
    edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 18:08:16 (permalink)
    So that is what we said. but why did Virginia split??? it wasn't all Southern.   Next why didn't Virginia wait until after the War started to join the Confederacy??? ... They couldn't make up their minds, if they wanted to be Northern or Southern.
    Britannica Concise Encyclopedia  Government of the 11 Southern states that seceded from the Union in 1860 – 61 until its defeat in the American Civil War in 1865. In the months following Abraham Lincoln's election as president in 1860, seven states of the Deep South (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas) seceded. After the attack on Fort Sumter in April 1861, Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia joined them.  ...
    ref: http://www.answers.com/topic/confederate-states-of-america
    But this still doesn't make Peanut Soup,  ... Southern;   and commonly available in Southern restaurants as alluded to above.
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/12/17 18:11:01
    edwmax
    Re:My Peanut soup, with a twist! 2010/12/17 18:20:12 (permalink)
    Who was the only Southern Confederate State that did not surrender?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1