My School Pizza Recipe

Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/01/07 22:38:59 (permalink)

My School Pizza Recipe

There is another thread over on Pizza concerning School Pizza memories, some good, some bad. I was lucky enough to grow up in NW Iowa in a town called Sioux Rapids. The population at that time was around 700, probably less than that these days. Our School was a K-12 single building school with a total of about 400 students.

We actually had a lunch room worth eating in, the food was nearly always homemade and nutritious, one of the favorite items being Pizza. I remember sitting in grade school, shortly before lunch, smelling the intoxicating aroma wafting up from the lunch room, watching the clock as it inched along. Finally, lunch time!!

A couple years ago, I was up in SR and ran into Peggy Hurless, one of the long-time cooks at the old school. I asked her for the recipe for the pizza, and she was nice enough to give it to me.

It was a simple recipe, and if it tasted as good as I remember then I was to be a happy man.

I made the dough covered it and put it aside to let it rise.

In the meantime, I browned the hamburger, but deviated from the recipe a bit by adding chopped onion. I just can not brown ground beef without onions and black pepper. It just does not seem right.

When it was all browned up, I added the remaining ingredients and set it aside.

The dough had risen so I rolled it out, put it on the baking sheet, and again, deviated from the recipe by baking the crust a bit by itself first.

On went the "Sloppy Joe" mix and the cheddar cheese, then popped it in the oven.

Mixed up an easy salad while the pizza baked.....

Out came the pizza and the rest is...history!

I had my brother over to be the official taste tester. He gave it two thumbs up, saying that it was as good as he remembers!

19 Replies Related Threads

chickenqueen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/07 23:04:53 (permalink)
    That pizza looks very good. Got the cheese nice and brown, just the way I like it.

A bit off topic, until I read Souix Rapids I thought that it looked an awful lot like the school I graduated from, the one my kids go to. As it is I live less then thirty miles from where you grew up. Guess it is a small world after all!!!

Callie
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/08 08:20:40 (permalink)
    Another job well done DD. Uh, what did the vegetarians eat?
    desertdog
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/08 09:09:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Another job well done DD. Uh, what did the vegetarians eat?

They were gone for the evening!!!!
    desertdog
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/08 09:24:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chickenqueen

That pizza looks very good. Got the cheese nice and brown, just the way I like it.

A bit off topic, until I read Souix Rapids I thought that it looked an awful lot like the school I graduated from, the one my kids go to. As it is I live less then thirty miles from where you grew up. Guess it is a small world after all!!!

Callie

Callie,

I had to laugh when I saw that you were from Havelock. If you have ever been over to Laurens for the Farmer's market, then you probably know my Aunt Lute. She is somewhat famous over there for her pies and canned goods.

My Dad and Mom grew up in Laurens, and in fact, were married in the old Methodist church. Small world, eh?

How did that John A inspired, Iowa corn-fed Steak turn out last night?
    chickenqueen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/08 09:43:06 (permalink)
    desertdog

I haven't been over to the farmers market but I will definitely try to get over there next summer.

My kids are not in Laurens district but we open enroll them because we like the school better.

The steak turned out ok but not the greatest. I overcooked it medium rare instead of barely warm and for some reason the steak was cut funny, like a half inch thick on one side and 2 inches thick on the other. O well it was still pretty good eats.

Thanks to you though I think tonight I am making PIZZA!!

Callie
    desertdog
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2007/01/08 15:41:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chickenqueen

desertdog

I haven't been over to the farmers market but I will definitely try to get over there next summer.

My kids are not in Laurens district but we open enroll them because we like the school better.

The steak turned out ok but not the greatest. I overcooked it medium rare instead of barely warm and for some reason the steak was cut funny, like a half inch thick on one side and 2 inches thick on the other. O well it was still pretty good eats.

Thanks to you though I think tonight I am making PIZZA!!

Callie

That Laurens school was built in part by my Grandfather who was a brick mason. My Dad set a few records there in Football, Baseball, and Basketball during his High School Days.

Good luck on the pizza tonight, I will be doing a steak and watching a little football.
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 12:40:55 (permalink)
    Nice pictures! I'm going to have to try this.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 13:32:05 (permalink)
    I love it!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 14:17:12 (permalink)
    I just sent this to my partner and her sister from MN--I have a feeling they grew up on pizza very much like this one.  Way to go getting the recipe from the lunchlady!
    brickie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 14:34:03 (permalink)
    I would pay $100.00 for the pizza recipe from the late 60s served at
    Killingly Memorial school in Danielson, Ct.!
    allyk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 15:44:38 (permalink)
    I started elementary school in the fall of '69. Until I was in about 3rd grade, our school pizza was homemade and delicious. It was not much like traditional pizza, but we loved it. desertdog's sounds a little like it. It had a flaky crust, sloppy joe-like topping, chedder cheese, and was square. It was always served with tossed salad and corn on the cob. In later years our school switched to the usual school pizza. We still liked it, but it wasn't the same, and  wasn't made with the love those dear ladies who staffed our lunchroom put into everything they cooked. I miss those homemade rolls still!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/03 17:19:54 (permalink)
    Really nice sentimental posting. We never had pizza in high school. But, I sure ate my share of sausages and mashed potato's with brown gravy. Lawrence (Long Island) High School class of '58.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/04 11:00:07 (permalink)
    I'm just looking back at the card--I love the 'this is reduced from 35 lbs of meat, so add extra seasoning to taste, ok?'  God love the lunch lady.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/02/05 19:54:20 (permalink)
    Not bad DD.  Reminds me of old shool lunches where pizza was served also.  I thought that to be quite unique until I was served turnip greens as a side dish.  Never again did I venture into the lunch room.
    desertdog
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/07/14 18:23:23 (permalink)

Dug this one up and will make it again tonight.

speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/07/14 19:02:28 (permalink)
    The school pizza looks great, kind of looks and sounds like the chef boyardee that my mom made when i was a kid.  Or maybe a bit like Little Caesar's?  I have not eaten L.C. in a long time so I might be totally wrong. My school pizza experience will start August 7th, we usually have pizza the first day of school..which this year is my birthday.  I have taught 22 years and this is the first time that this has happened.  I would rather have something else for my birthday lunch, but will be glad to be back among the great teachers that I work with, glad to see hopefully all of my students back safely, and glad to have a stable job in this economy. 
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/07/16 17:42:32 (permalink)
    Besides meat pies, this was my favorite school food!

Thanks for the recipe.  I will have to make this, even if just for the memories.

cy
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2009/07/17 18:53:03 (permalink)
    I went to school in a building that looked much like that.  Rural Minnesota.  Pizza was never on the menu.  I am not sure they knew what that was.  But, man, we had tuna casserole every Friday.  Soup on Wednesday.  I remember the soup because Wed, after school, was our weekly Brownie meeting and my tie would drop into the bowl.
    megadomeus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:My School Pizza Recipe 2013/04/30 21:09:48 (permalink)
    Woul you have the recipe for the pizza burgers?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1