Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 31 to 60 of 176
Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:15 AM (permalink)
OMG, that is truly freaky.  And awesome.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
    Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:18 AM (permalink)
    By the way, the jar of pickles on the table is from a batch of Aunt Bee's infamous kerosene pickles ( episode #43, "The Pickle Story". )

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:33 AM (permalink)
      On the left side of the piano, you can see a bottle of Colonel Harvey's Indian Elixir ( episode #87 ), which turned out to be 85% alcohol.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:39 AM (permalink)
        Here's Sheriff Taylor, sitting down to one of Aunt Bee's delicious meals.... oops, that's just me!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
          Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:42 AM (permalink)
          Looks more like Otis, but the contents of those 2 glasses would be foreign to him!

I wonder if anyone in Milwaukee has recreated the Cunninghams' living room.

Brad

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 10:49 AM (permalink)
            Breakfast is included in the price of an overnight stay at the Inn, and Marsha is truly a wonderful cook. Here you see her country sausage and scrambled eggs combo, with hash browns. The sausage is one of the best I've ever tasted, and is made by a local business. Marsha made the great banana-nut bread, called "Barney You're a Nut-bread", from a recipe in Aunt Bee's Cookbook.
            <message edited by nocarolina on Wed, 06/17/09 3:11 PM>

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:00 AM (permalink)
              Here's Opie's bedroom. I probably should have taken this picture before I went to bed.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:07 AM (permalink)
                Oh you're funny, Brad.   Ha ha ha...
                <message edited by nocarolina on Wed, 06/17/09 11:08 AM>

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:25 AM (permalink)
                  Behind the house, Dave and Marsha have built an incredible recreation of Wally's Filling Station ( sorry, no Gomer or Goober that day; they both had "deputy duties" to tend to. ) 

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:28 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:34 AM (permalink)
                      Talk about attention to detail! They even had custom decals printed of the fictional "Acme" logo.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:40 AM (permalink)
                        Before we leave Mayberry, we have to visit with Ellie Walker, Dave and Marsha's adorable little dog. She's named after Elinor Donahue's character from the first season of TAGS. 

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
                          Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:47 AM (permalink)
                          What a neat place to stay!  Your report is terrific.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:49 AM (permalink)
                            As much as I hate to leave, it's time to hit the road, so it's "so long" to Mayberry, North Carolina....

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:56 AM (permalink)
                              I forgot to mention that my dinner the previous evening was a pretty good burger and fries at The Cabin, a bar & grill in downtown Clear Lake.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 11:59 AM (permalink)

MSPD

• Total Posts: 79
                                  Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                  I own a bunch of land a couple miles from Clear Lake...maybe my new calling is to build a replica of downtown Mayberry!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                    Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                    I am really enjoying this report,Bob!!I laughed out loud when I saw the pickles on the kitchen table-I had just seen that episode...

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                      By 11 AM, I was westbound on US 12, heading towards the Twin Cities.  

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                        Arriving in St. Paul MN, I followed I-494 down to Bloomington, the site of the famous Mall of America, the largest shopping mall in the US.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                          While there is something in the Mall that I very much wanted to see, my first priority was a round trip on Minneapolis' Hiawatha light rail line, which was the main reason for this roadtrip. Those of you who "rode" the Charlotte light rail line with me vicariously on my North Carolina trip report know of my lifelong passion for electric railways.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                            The light rail's southern terminal is on the ground floor level of the Mall's multi-level parking garage. The line is about twelve miles long and runs at surface level, except for one subway station ( underneath the main terminal of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport ) and one elevated station. Here's my train about to depart for downtown Minneapolis.

buffetbuster

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                              NC-
                                              I know you have been wanting to visit the Andy Griffith B & B for some time.  Did it live up to your expectations?

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 3:43 PM (permalink)

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                  Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 3:50 PM (permalink)
                                                  My boss is in complete awe of you(and so am I), she wants to know if you could stay at "The Beavers" house sometime.  TAGS anf LITB are her two favorite shows.  I have to tell you with her permission....she's a black lady.  I hope that doesn't put me under fire, but it cracks us up here and her family thinks somethings wrong with her:) because she has been known to schedule her days around these shows and has been known to watch episodes here at work on her computer.  She's addicted.

carolina bob

Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster - Boy, did it ever meet my expectations! I had a great ( and rather surreal ) time there. Dave and Marsha Scheuermann are wonderful hosts, and I recommend an overnight visit to "Andy's house" to everyone.   www.taylorhomeinn.com       Rusty246 - Believe me, if I could find Mayfield on a road map, I'd be packing my suitcase right this moment! Leave It To Beaver is another one of my all-time favorite shows. I'm glad that you and your boss are enjoying this trip report so much. 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                      Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      Leave it to Beaver?  The Andy Griffith Show??  Come on.  If I want to sleep in some iconic sitcom domiciles, I want to have some fun in the process.  In no particular order, I would love to spend the night at....

Major Margaret Houlihan's tent

Ginger and Mary Ann's hut

That funky couch inside Jeannie's bottle

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                                        • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                        Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 5:12 PM (permalink)
                                                        TTM,

Have a little patience now. Nocarolina is just about to go downtown. Maybe he will take you to Mary Tyler Moore's apartment. It is just southwest of downtown in the Kenwood neighborhood.

The Travelin Man

Leave it to Beaver?  The Andy Griffith Show??  Come on.  If I want to sleep in some iconic sitcom domiciles, I want to have some fun in the process.  In no particular order, I would love to spend the night at....

Major Margaret Houlihan's tent

Ginger and Mary Ann's hut

That funky couch inside Jeannie's bottle

carolina bob

• Location: Chicagoland
                                                          Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          TTM - Don't forget Edith Bunker's bedroom ( when Archie's out of town, of course! ) 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                            • Location: Central FL
                                                            Re:My Three... er, Four Day Roadtrip to the Twin Cities Wed, 06/17/09 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            ::shudders::

I think I'd rather head down the block to visit Weezie Jefferson - before they a-moved on up.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 31 to 60 of 176

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com