My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT

Author
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2006/12/18 10:00:51 (permalink)

My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT

with all the questions being asked by Newbies I'd like to be of some assistance in helping them along the way to either doing or not doing FOOD and some smart ways to handle it if they do decide to go ahead.
First, U really have to be dedicated to hard work..There are NO magic shortcuts to good food..All people do certain things..Deficate,urinate,have sex in one form or another and last but most important from MY VIEW, EAT..
U can fool them once and that is the only time u will see them..So be prepared to serve QUALITY which is REPEATABLE time after time..
When u first prepare a menu, DO NOT cast it in stone, u'r customers will have the final word, with their hard earned CASH.
Make a decision on what u'r going to serve and how, by looking, listening and seeing what other successful food concessionares in u'r area are doing..Next find an AREA where U can set up and go there regulary,day after day, or wekend after weekend..
Now for some specific advise..
Find a MacDonalds or another Fast Food national Chain Store which is off somewhat by its self..There will be a large parking lot around it, find outr what store controls the parking lot..See if u can give them a small percentage, feed their help or what ever it takes to use thier parking lot..U are not in competition with the Arches, U do not sell the same food,people go there because they have no where else in the immediate area to go..
U can be very successful by taking this approach..
Now then this is my menu:
all beef National dog 2.00
w/chili & cheese(real cheese)3.00
all Beef Best Kosher,bigga dawg 3.00
w/chili,cheese and onion 4.00
Polish Sausage 3.00
onion & Peppers 3.50
kraut 3.50
Sabrett 2.25
w/red sauce 2.50
Coney Island W/Kraut 2.50

Sloppy Joe's w/ chips 3.00
Beverages 1.00 chips .50

Lunch Specials
BBQ Ribs (3) 5.00
w/slaw,beans 5.75
Pulled Pork Sandwich 3.50
w/slaw and beans 4.25
Italian Beef on a Crusty Roll 4.00
Au jus
Italian Sausage,grilled
w/onion & Peppers 3.50

corn cob-ettes .50
That is what we sell and it worksd here for us..We have BEEF but not the kind u get at The golden Arches, NO FRYS
a couple of secrets..
I buy my ribs for .99c per pound,25 cases at a time..
I buy my Pork for Pulling 10 cases at a time...89 cents per pound..
I do the ribs in a convection oven until they are cooked to 175 degrees internal temp
I do my pulled pork to an internal temp of 195
Put them in the smoker on my caert for 1hr for the ribs at 300 degrees, one hr for the butts at 300 degrees, this is done with just wood for smoke flavor..
The real secret is correct internal temp..My convenction oven has a temp probe..Very easy to be right on..Set the probe for correct temp at what degrees of heat u desire(225) and when they are done it turns its self off..
So now u have my secrets..Good Luck

Just a thought..I started working in the restaurants when i was 7, my Grand Father was the head shef of a very famous plasce in N.Y.C..Dad was head chef at the fairmont in S.F. I grew up in the business..

15 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/18 10:59:44 (permalink)
    How did you find your commisary? Or do you store all these cases of meat at home? I thinks thats the biggest obstacle a vendor has. Lets hear the story from that point...
    And greatly appreciate you sharing your info there!

genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/18 11:38:33 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic..
    I found a Restaurant which had formerly been a Bigga Denny's..They were going to close it and the manager who had been with them for 28 yrs asked if he could lease it..That was 4 yrs ago..He is doing really well, Not to the range Denny's expected but enuf to keep a crew of 7 on hand for breakfast and Lunch, No Dinners.. full-time plus his son and himself..They had an extra bigga Freezer,I use 1/2 of it in exchange for a few pennies a month..He also is my commissory..
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/21 11:06:31 (permalink)
    What Kind of Peppers should I serve on the side??

I am going to add a Philly Cheese Steak Hoagie to our menu, with onions and cheese whiz and peppers on the side..

W
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/21 11:16:06 (permalink)
    My guess would be sweet peppers (like bannana) and maybe some jalapenos for those that like it warmer..
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6626
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/21 12:27:19 (permalink)
    .....or hot cherry peppers!

Yes, the food industry is VERY VERY hard work....if you do it well and are committed to quality and consistancy. My advice to anyone contemplating opening a restaurant was always this: No matter what you make, weather it's soup or salads or burgers or filet mignon, do it as good as you possibly can. Buy the best ingredients you can find. Customers, believe it or not, are very savvy about food these days and if served a mediocre meal, they may not complain but you'll never see them again. I ran a 90-seat restaurant doing $2.2 million in sales a year with just a household chest freezer......for french fries and ice cream/sorbet.

About the menu, I agree that cast in stone is not necessary. Given your location and watching your mix of sales, it's easy to figure out what the "HOT" items are. As all of us get a little tired of cooking the same thing day after day, this is where daily specials come in!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/21 19:02:06 (permalink)
    This may seem dumb to those in the business but I just hafta ask.

What is Bigga?

He also is my commissory.

What does commissory mean as used in the above sentence?

genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/21 19:45:32 (permalink)
    Well , bigga is Italian for big.a commissary should be something u would know about..i'm not here offering advise to dot I's or cross T's if u are u'r in the wrong place!!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/22 18:32:35 (permalink)
    Not sure what you mean by your second sentence. I know what a commissary is but don't know what a commissory is. I tried too google it but didn't get much. Not trying to be smart just trying to learn a new word. Oh well!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/22 18:42:42 (permalink)
    BR,I,too am confused with the word commissory-although I would venture to guess it is commissary misspelled...
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/22 18:51:55 (permalink)
    what's the matter with you people.................. you think you were all born yesterday
    A commissar is like a Russian big-shot and where he lives is called a commissory.........
    Commissar Mikhail Yashin
    Yashin's home, his Commissory
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/22 19:03:54 (permalink)
    Frank, you should never, ever publish photos of my abode without my express written permission!
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/23 22:42:42 (permalink)
    Hey, I know that guy! He runs a whole fleet of potato trailers. Bigga money in the East.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/23 23:42:11 (permalink)
    Comrade Poverty Pete, Nyet! You have it wrong tovarich. That is my dacha or commisory. Everyone knows that Mikhail is the mother tounge for Michael and that Yashin is Ruskie for S.

Although the commisory looks like your place on the Mosca river yours is much grander you capitalist demon you.

Mikhail Yashin aka MikeS.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/24 00:24:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

what's the matter with you people.................. you think you were all born yesterday
    A commissar is like a Russian big-shot and where he lives is called a commissory.........
    Commissar Mikhail Yashin
    Yashin's home, his Commissory

So I'm guessing them Lightning poles mounted on top of them buildings is where ya stick the slabs of meat. Fill rest of the buildings with some decent hardwood and strike a match?

genewj
    Cheeseburger
    RE: My Wife Will Kill Me for Giving Secrerts Away,BUT 2006/12/27 20:30:16 (permalink)
    Well, its been a week or two since I read my comments and the reply's..Sorry about the spelling and not re-reading my imput..

Thanks for the intelligent questions by Uncle Vic and the follow up by IIeechef..Both understood clearly what my point was and addressed it..Thanks guys..
    Loved the Russian pictures..
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1