The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Year in Roadfood (2011)

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 61 to 90 of 206
Sundancer7

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 5:21 PM (permalink)
Greymo:  Great story.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 5:32 PM (permalink)
    Buffetbuster

Glad to see Wieners Circle on your hot dog list. After now sampling chicago style dogs at several hot dog joints, I think the char-grilled dog at Wieners Circle is my favorite.

And of course  Ted's in Buffalo is one of my favorites.

One of these days I'll finally have the experience  of checking out Charlie's Pool Room.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 6:54 PM (permalink)
      I don't mean to slight anyone here but, I don't know of anyone else on this board whose trip reports are as good yours, Buffetbuster.
      Thanks for all the clever and delicious looking pictures.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 7:14 PM (permalink)
        I would have to say that every single Roadtrip report is great, even those without photographs...........we learn from each and every one!

Sundancer7

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 8:17 PM (permalink)
          Twinwillow

I don't mean to slight anyone here but, I don't know of anyone else on this board whose trip reports are as good yours, Buffetbuster.

You are correct with your comment regarding BB, but don't forget WJ, TTM and The Mayor.  All are super great.  More are coming on and we appreciate all.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Twinwillow

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Fri, 01/6/12 11:32 PM (permalink)
            Sundancer7

Twinwillow

You are correct with your comment regarding BB, but don't forget WJ, TTM and The Mayor.  All are super great.  More are coming on and we appreciate all.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

I have to agree with both you and, Greymo!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 7:30 AM (permalink)
              Back to the signs!

Here are a couple interesting water towers I came across:

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 7:40 AM (permalink)
                Some of my favorite rustic signs from 2011.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Sat, 01/14/12 1:40 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 7:59 AM (permalink)
                  And some flashy neon!

<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/16/12 8:45 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 10:07 AM (permalink)
                    bb, WL & ann -
                    Ate at Jack Pandl,s last February'ish on a Saturday evening.  I read the online comments beforehand but went anyway.
                    Lovely room, very nice service and 2 generations of management stopping by often and conversing with us.
                    The bar room was full, the dining room half when we got there, then full by our midway point.
                    We had a table of 6 and everyone enjoyed their meal!  We even had multiple courses....
                    Hope it stays around a long time...
                    CTD

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 10:10 AM (permalink)
                      I came here with fellow Roadfooders wanderingjew and Chris Ayers. One of the great things about being part of a group is that you get to sample more different foods and still preserve precious appetite. The bad thing is that you may only get a small portion of something you really like. The regular coney dog was good, but it was the fine bean dog that gets Nick's on this list. This was the first time having baked beans on a hot dog and it worked for me. My only regret, since all I got was a third of the bean dog, was not ordering one or two to eat all myself!
                      It's called seconds...

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 10:17 AM (permalink)
                        I beleive I like the sign collection the best...really interersting!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 10:19 AM (permalink)
                          Geeze, Cliff, you sure do get around!

Twinwillow

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 11:07 AM (permalink)
                            A priceless collection of iconic relics of America's lost art! Thank goodness most are "grandfathered" in because today in many cities, municipal ordinances would prevent their construction or use.
                            Thanks for the ride.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
                              BB:

Thanks for giving "props" to the Weenie Beanie in Arlington, VA.  After landing at Reagan, it's always my first stop.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9541
                                Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                BB,
                                You qualify for, "Here's Your Sign"!!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
                                  Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                  I loved all the signs.  I have been to Tony Lukes  a dozen times and have never noticed their sign...............guess that I was too busy thinking o f my roast pork with rabe!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                    I love the pictures of the signs as much as the pictures of food.

I'm a fan of faded painted signs on old brick buildings.

Good job!

Twinwillow

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/7/12 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                      mar52

I love the pictures of the signs as much as the pictures of food.

I'm a fan of faded painted signs on old brick buildings.

Good job!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sun, 01/8/12 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                        ChiTownDiner

bb, WL & ann -
                                        Ate at Jack Pandl,s last February'ish on a Saturday evening.  I read the online comments beforehand but went anyway.
                                        Lovely room, very nice service and 2 generations of management stopping by often and conversing with us.
                                        The bar room was full, the dining room half when we got there, then full by our midway point.
                                        We had a table of 6 and everyone enjoyed their meal!  We even had multiple courses....
                                        Hope it stays around a long time...
                                        CTD

Chi Town Diner

I wanted to get to Karl Ratzsch's and Pandl's but  didn't have time to do both (I know you would have) I looked at both reviews on yelp- First I looked at Pandl's and they were trashed, I then figured that they would predictably trash Raztsch's too- to my surprise Karl Ratzsch's was highly praised (in fact by some of the same Yelpers who trashed Pandl's. So that's why I picked Karl Ratzsch's over Pandl's. Karl Ratzsch was fine- I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. Next time I will certainly try Pandl's for sure.

Sundancer7

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sun, 01/8/12 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                          BB:  What a collection of food signs.  I think it is super that you got a lot of the neon at night where they illuminate the best.  Thanks for sharing.

See you in Nashville

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sun, 01/8/12 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                            BB, amazing, just amazing!  Your year-end breakfast pics always make me angry (at the bowl of Grape-Nuts in front of me!) and hungry for some rib sticking food (biscuits & gravy!!!!)  I'm not much for hot dogs but I want to eat each and every one you posted this year!  And those pictures of the old signs and neon...you really captured the nighttime illumination at its best!  After reading this report I felt a bit like Wayne and Garth meeting Alice Cooper backstage.  "We're not worthy!  We're not worthy!"

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 8:56 AM (permalink)
                                              Here are some regional specialties and other foods I got to try for the first time in 2011: 

Ana Potato - Toki Ona Diner (Elko, NV)

Bean Dog -Nick's Original Coney Island Hotdogs (Fall River, MA)

Burnt Ends Chili - Woodyard Bar-B-Que (Kansas City, KS)

Chicharrones - Garcia's Kitchen (Albuquerque, NM)

Chislic - Bumpin' Buffalo (Hill City, SD)

Chocolate Cobbler - Breadbasket (Newton, KS)

Coddie - Attman's Delicatessen (Baltimore, MD)

Coffee Soda - Given to me by Chris Ayers

Comeback Sauce - Mayflower Cafe (Jackson, MS)

Crab Dog - Crab Claw (St. Michaels, MD)

Dynamite - Moonlight House of Wieners (Woonsocket, RI)

Fried Crab Claws - Hunt's Seafood & Oyster House (Dothan, AL)

Fusilli - Salerno's (Old Forge, PA)

Gerber Sandwich - Ruma's Deli (St. Louis, MO)

Green Chile Meatloaf - La Plazuela (Santa Fe, NM)

Green Corn Tamale - El Bravo (Phoenix, AZ)

Ham Pot Pie - Park-N-Dine (Hancock, MD)

Hot Cheese Sandwich - J.J.'s Coney Island (Fall River, MA)

King Ranch Chicken - Bohannon's Brietzke Station (Seguin, TX)

Lobster Pizza - Portland Pie Co. (Scarborough, ME)

Michigan Hot Dog - Gus's Restaurant (Plattsburgh, NY)

Pizza Strips - DePetrillo's Pizza & Bakery (Warwick, RI)

Pork Pies - Hartley's Original Pork Pies (Fall River, MA)

Prosperity Sandwich - Ruma's Deli (St. Louis, MO)

Pusty - Florentine Pastry Shop (Utica, NY)

Real Italian - Colucci's Hilltop Market (Portland, ME)

Schnecken - Graeter's (Cincinnati, OH)

Smith Island Cake - Peaky's Restaurant (Princess Anne, MD)

Snail Salad - Andino's (Providence, RI)

Solomo Sandwich w/ Croquetas - Bar Gernika (Boise, ID)

Texas Tommy - Steve's Prince of Steaks (Philadelphia, PA)

Topopo Salad - Micha's Restaurant (Tucson, AZ)

<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/16/12 7:54 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                ChiTownDiner

I beleive I like the sign collection the best...really interersting!
                                                Let me get this straight.....  You like the sign photos even better than the food photos?  Okay, who are you and what did you do with ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  Sundancer7

BB:  What a collection of food signs.  I think it is super that you got a lot of the neon at night where they illuminate the best.  Thanks for sharing.

See you in Nashville

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

It's funny that you mention that, since I briefly considered a post on neon signs taken during the day, that probably look great at night.  Unfortunately, with the sun out, they just aren't especially noteworthy.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, especially Twinwillow and billyboy.  And to Greymo for the wonderful story about Ted's.  That is a great tradition!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                    • Location: New York City, NY
                                                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    Hey Cliff, is there a difference between the Gerber and the Prosperity sandwiches in St. Louis?  
                                                    I see that you made it to Kane's Donuts in Saugus, MA.  Did you try the coffee roll?
                                                    I'm not sure if I asked you before...what did you think of Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q?

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                      Back to the signs, restaurants love decorating their place with images of animals.

Fish and other sea creatures:

Chickens:

Cattle:

Porcine:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/16/12 8:35 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        billyboy

Hey Cliff, is there a difference between the Gerber and the Prosperity sandwiches in St. Louis?  
                                                        I see that you made it to Kane's Donuts in Saugus, MA.  Did you try the coffee roll?
                                                        I'm not sure if I asked you before...what did you think of Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q?

Thanks for the excellent question.  Bill, as close as I can tell, the only difference is that the gerber sandwich has ham, while the prosperity sandwich has beef and gravy.  This was also my first experience with provel cheese and while I wouldn't want to eat it everyday, it was perfect for those sandwiches.

Loved Kane's Donuts, but I don't think I ordered a coffee roll.  Would you mind reminding me what I apparently missed out on?  As for Brooks House of Bar-B-Q, we had a party of five and everyone really liked the place.  A great Roadfood spot! 
                                                        <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/9/12 11:20 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                                          • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                          buffetbuster

BB, by any chance did you happen to take a photo of the actual sandwich?  Sounds like it could be a killer as well as a filler!

Brad

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/9/12 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                            Brad, yes I did.  The Filler from Giant Drive-In finished #7 on my favorite burgers, so there is a photo on page 1 of this thread.  When I get home tonight, I will see if I have a better photo to put the size in perspective.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 61 to 90 of 206

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com