The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Year in Roadfood (2011)

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 206
buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 2:24 PM (permalink)
mr chips-
I did vaguely hear about the Eisenhower family having objections to a DC memorial to Ike.  What is the reason behind this?

TTM-
Luckily for me, Bud Royer did not recognize me.  And I accepted ice cream on my pie with no argument.

Twinwillow-
While driving to Devil's Tower, cousin Johnny and I were making all the obvious jokes.  Luckily, no close encounters.  It was cool though to finally visit a place I had first learned about in that movie many years ago.

cavandre-
Thanks for posting the Eisenhower statue photo.  I had no idea they had a statue of Ike in London.   
<message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 02/9/12 1:39 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 2:27 PM (permalink)
    A little quiz here.....

During a lunch at Hill Country Cupboard, they put this

yellow block at the end of my table.  What was the purpose for doing this?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 2:40 PM (permalink)
      Buffetbuster:
      The Eisenhower family doesn't like the way the planned memorial to Ike neglects his accomplishments in World War II and as president, while overemphasizing his "humble Kansas roots."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085532/Eisenhower-memorial-Presidents-family-objects-rushed-Frank-Gehry-design.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 3:04 PM (permalink)
        BB,
        The Yellow block may be a signal to the other waitresses that there's a Blockhead sitting there!!!!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
          Foodbme-
          While that is 100% true, that wasn't the answer I am looking for!

Michael Hoffman-
          Thanks for the link.  It will be interesting to see if they move forward despite the objections.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 3:16 PM (permalink)
            It  warns the waitress not to bring your bill too early as you are good for at least 4 slices of pie!

Sundancer7

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 3:17 PM (permalink)
              The best I recall it is a signal for the wait person.  It seems that they have red, yellow blue and white blocks.l  Each indicates a signal for the waitperson on that table???

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Sat, 01/14/12 4:03 PM (permalink)
                Greymo

It  warns the waitress not to bring your bill too early as you are good for at least 4 slices of pie!

Love this answer!!!

Ralph Melton

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/16/12 2:35 PM (permalink)
                  We encountered the same waitress at Mae's Phinney Ridge Cafe. The review on the website was as unenthusiastic about the food at buffetbuster and Travelin Man, but our meal was excellent.

Richard Connelly gave us a Goody-Goody Diner mug also.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/16/12 3:34 PM (permalink)
                    You had an outstanding 2011, BB!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/16/12 3:38 PM (permalink)
                      Ralph-
                      Well, Mae Phinney's was packed when we stopped in, so they must be doing something right.  Glad you had such a good meal.

ann peeples-
                      Thanks Ann! 

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Mon, 01/16/12 10:08 PM (permalink)
                        Trudy and i shared the meal with TTM at Mae's. I liked the waiter and my salmon hash but had mixed feelings about the place. Some excellent food, some a little below average. I think there are so many great places in Seattle that i would not go to this place when other spots are available.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Tue, 01/17/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
                          The yellow block says that Paula Deen the queen of butter is going to be cooking for you this evening????

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Tue, 01/17/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
                            The yellow block says that Paula Deen the queen of butter is going to be cooking for you this evening????

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Tue, 01/17/12 4:42 PM (permalink)

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 7:42 AM (permalink)
                                Finally finishing up the signs.

Some of the best retro signs:

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:00 AM (permalink)
                                  Some of my favorite murals:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/19/12 5:45 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:12 AM (permalink)
                                    BB:  I am so glad you take the time to snap some of the pics that I would have never thought to do.  You can almost guess the locale of some of the murals by the pic of the area.  Perhaps I have been to some of them.

I am glad you are focused on more than food.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                      The funny.....

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                        and the just plain weird.....

The rumors I started that this was modeled after our own Poverty Pete is completely false!

Maybe an advertisement for toilet and septic services next to your menu isn't the best choice.

I'd like to state for the record that this candidate is of no relation.  Unless, of course, they happen to win.

Now, that's just creepy.

This sign was in the window of a pie shop.

leethebard

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                          Wow,,,great Buffetbuster...When I travel, my wife says I see everything through a camera lens...seems like I've got a kindred spirit here. Great post!!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                            Wonderful photos; wonderful signs and murals.  Thank you!

I thought I'd read that Earl Abel's in San Antonio went out of business.  I just googled it and there still seems to be an operational web site.  I haven't been there since 2005; were you there this past year, BB?  When I went, I had fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cracklin' gravy, and cherry pie -- as well as a vegetable, though I don't remember what I had (probably green beans or carrots, which they offer daily).  It was great -- retro atmosphere, and I love it that they give you plenty of options in terms of which pieces of chicken you choose to make up your meal. http://www.earlabelssa.com/amenu_pages/dinner_menus.php

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                              rumaki-
                                              Yes, we were at Earl Abel's in May.  Actually, we were tipped off to the place by one of the owners of Texan Cafe in Hutto.  He knew we were headed to San Antonio the next day and when the subject of pie came up, he told us we had to go to Earl Abel's.  And though the pies weren't great, they were still quite good.  Unfortunately, we didn't have the appetite to try things off of the menu.  What you describe sounds terrific!

The best thing about the place is definitely the old time atmosphere.  I will try and post a couple of photos from the place tonight.

Ralph Melton

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                                What does the fine print say on the "worst seat in the house" sign?

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ralph-
                                                  That you get 10% taken off of your bill.  It was an awful table, so it still wouldn't have been worth it.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    Most over the top sandwich from 2011?

Crown Candy Kitchen's Heart Stopping BLT:

Harold's Deli Corned Beef Sandwich:

Fat Head's South Side Slopes Headwich (with kielbasa and pierogies on it):

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                                      I get that BLT every time I'm in STL...love it!
                                                      Almost looks like Mariton was getting "paddled" at city bakery?

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Wed, 01/18/12 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        CTD-
                                                        I believe each one of those BLTs come with a defibrillator.  Do you actually eat one of those all by yourself?  We split ours three ways.

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Thu, 01/19/12 6:58 AM (permalink)
                                                          After the party of one post, do you really need an answer?

leethebard

• Location: brick, NJ
                                                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2011) Thu, 01/19/12 9:02 AM (permalink)
                                                            Oooohhhh, that corned beef sandwich....move over 2nd ave, deli!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 206

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com