My Year in Roadfood (2012)

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 121 to 180 of 271
ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
  • Reward points : 0
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 4:25 PM
Ok, again I am hungry......if you keep this up, BB, I will never shed a few pounds before the Mobile trip!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 5:12 PM
Bad news Ann.....   The best pies will be up next!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 5:17 PM
kaszeta

I always have a love for Ted's.  Most of my visits to either the Buffalo area, or Tempe AZ, result in a trip to Ted's.  Great onion rings, too.
What do you order there, the regular hot dog or the foot long?  I have always gotten the foot long in the past and I am curious about the difference in flavor of the wieners.  And 100% agreement about the onion rings! 

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 6:02 PM
Let me drop back a chapter to the regional awards. Your two photos of the different format for LOBSTER ROLLS was great.  While the cold version seems to (visually) hold more Lobster, I have always loved the hot Lobster Rolls. Warm Lobster chunks with melted butter dripping all over it. Messier to eat than the Mayo-glued cold version, but an outstanding way to enjoy Lobster (or crab). Your photos of the two  really told the story.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 6:19 PM
Thanks Al!  That's exactly what I was trying to do there.  And for the record, I am a cold lobster roll man, myself.  Just don't tell Michael Hoffman.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6210
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 9:30 PM
buffetbuster

Thanks Al!  That's exactly what I was trying to do there.  And for the record, I am a cold lobster roll man, myself.  Just don't tell Michael Hoffman.

He's pouting in the corner now. 

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 901
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 9:42 PM
Oh man a wiz wit from Steve's Prince of Steaks.  If the good Lord made anything better he would have kept it for Himself!!

ChrisOC
Oh man a wiz wit from Steve's Prince of Steaks.  If the good Lord made anything better he would have kept it for Himself!!

ChrisOC
Why did that post x2?

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 398
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 10:08 PM
Everything is fabulous!  Bravo, BB!  (ps I am now starving too!)

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 655
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/15/13 10:34 PM
buffetbuster

kaszeta

I always have a love for Ted's.  Most of my visits to either the Buffalo area, or Tempe AZ, result in a trip to Ted's.  Great onion rings, too.
What do you order there, the regular hot dog or the foot long?  I have always gotten the foot long in the past and I am curious about the difference in flavor of the wieners.  And 100% agreement about the onion rings! 

To me, the footlongs always seem a bit blander than either the regulars or the all-beef jumbos.

My standard order is one all beef jumbo and one Rochester White:

If I'm not all that hungry, just two standard dogs.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 8:23 AM
Some of the best neon from 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/29/13 8:28 PM>

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 655
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 9:00 AM
Nice.  I always love neon (and have about 1/4 of those signs in my own photo collection).  The Apple Plan is one of my favorites, here's my near-identical shot:

(You truly get around... :) )

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 11:34 AM
kaszeta

(You truly get around... :) )

Look who's talking!!!

Thanks for the photo from Ted's.  Now I know what will be my order next time in town!

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 12:02 PM
I love the neon!  The Nashville ones are happy memories for me. 

For a fantastic neon restoration, with Route 66 associations, I strongly recommend a visit to Mitchell, Illinois to see the fabulous sign at the Luna Cafe near Chain of Rocks bridge.  Here's a link that starts in black and white and fades to color.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdixson/6271501572/

The place itself has lots of mobster and movie memorabilia, but it's not for every taste.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 1:35 PM
Great neon bb!  That frozen custard sign looks familiar...

I think my favorite was the wedge of cake.  The beautiful design made it very inviting.

Buddy

Rocky Enfield
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 2:42 PM
BB,

I will be in Fort Wayne this weekend so you had better believe I will be stopping by Power's to try #5 on the hamburger list.

As I was reading your trip report it occurred to me that, in my humble opinion, you have surpassed  roadfood greatness and have become a supreme chronicler Americana.  Your pictures and narratives are top notch.

I enjoy and appreciate your trips reports very much!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 3:01 PM
Rocky-
I love hearing that you will be stopping in at Powers Hamburgers.  It is my favorite place for sliders and Mariton considers it her favorite burgers period!  But, I have heard many customers come in and order theirs "light on the onions".  If you like onions on your burgers as much as I do, you will hopefully enjoy it.  Please report back!  Warning, they are closed on Sundays. 

BTW, I have been trying to get to Elkhart for years to visit Heinnie's for years, but haven't been able to work it in.  Maybe this will be the year.  Is it worth the trip? 

Another place you may want to check out in Fort Wayne is Spyro's Pancake House, which will be a candidate for my top breakfasts of the year.

And I genuinely appreciate your kind comments.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 3:14 PM
Buddy-
Hey, thanks for taking us to a place with quality custard and a memorable neon sign!  That cake wedge photo is from Lexington Market in Baltimore, where they have a ton of great neon signs.

rumaki-
Nashville really is a wonderful town for neon.  There were a couple of other places we visited that had really good neon signs, but since it was daytime, you couldn't really tell.  I know Wendell Smith's, a.k.a. booze & biscuits, was one of them.  And thanks for the link to that great sign!
<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 01/16/13 3:16 PM>

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/16/13 3:38 PM
Hmmm Camp Washington Chili made your list twice... You would think you liked the place
It is a cool art deco style neon

there is something about the glow of a neon sign at night that beckons you to enter and enjoy.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Thu, 01/17/13 11:25 AM
CK-
Whoops!  It is fixed now.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Rocky Enfield
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Thu, 01/17/13 11:32 AM
BB,

I would say that 90% of the time Heinnies is great (every restaurant has an off day now and then).  On the weekends the wait can be an hour or longer.  If you make it this way let me know and I will tip you off to some of our other local landmarks that I believe would be worthy of your interest.  That would include the place to get the finest donut I have ever had and Amish Crack, handmade chocolates and a few other items.

I would also enjoy joining you for a juicy steak at Heinnies. 

PS Love onions and when I spoke to the person that answered the phone at Powers they said thjey were open on Sundays.  Just to be on the safe side I will stop on Saturday .

If you like oriental food the next time you are Fort Wayne stop by Ma Hnin a Burmese/Thai restaurant on Calhoun just a mile south of Powers.  Auhtentic and excellent!  A tiny place and most of the time when I am there I am the only non-oriental in the place so I take that as a good sign.  The prices are sinfully inexpensive.

ann peeples
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Thu, 01/17/13 11:56 AM
The neon signs are epic, BB-at least they didnt leave me starving-but got me thinking!!!!

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1493
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Thu, 01/17/13 7:11 PM
Lawd......preserve us!  These great write-ups and photos by BB, Wandering Jew and Kazeta put us all to shame. All we can do is comment.  But Lawd...thank you for putting these intrepid souls on the road more than they are home to tantalize our tastebuds.  Just now grant us the pocketbooks to go off to these wonderful sites and indulge in Thy bounty!

And Grant these 3 places near the kitchen at the big table in the sky...preferably near to an outlet so they can recharge their cameras!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Thu, 01/17/13 8:32 PM
As usual, my list of best pies are the strongest of any of the lists.  So strong that to name only 10 would be an injustice;  there was too much great pie eaten in 2012.  Here are pies 20-11 and I will complete the list tomorrow.

Best Pies 20-11

20) Bananas in Pajamas Pie - Pie Bird (Raleigh, NC)

Pie Bird offers some of the most creative and interesting pies anywhere, including one simply called crack pie.  But it was the bananas in pajamas that won our hearts.  This has an oreo crust, tiny slices of bananas, white chocolate, hazelnut ganache, whipped cream and cocoa powder.  Very complicated and very good!

19) Coconut Cream - Stoby's Restaurant (Russellville, AR)

It comes as no surprise that Arkansas, maybe the top state in the nation for pie, is well represented on this list.  We came to Stoby's for a chance to eat possum pie, but Cousin Johnny's coconut cream stole the show.

18) Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie - Hammett House (Claremore, OK)

A big thanks to Roadfooder Howard Baratz for taking Cousin Johnny and I to this Oklahoma pie palace.  The three of us split four slices of pie, with not a loser in the bunch.  Unlike most peanut butter pies, this vertically impressive version wasn't overly rich or cloyingly sweet.  Howard and Johnny named it the best of the four, but since this is my list, I get to place it here.

17) Chess Pie - Sylvan Park (Nashville, TN)

A lousy photo of a great slice of pie.  Sylvan Park makes, for me, the gold standard chess pie.

16) Chocolate Pie - Pope's Cafe (Shelbyville, TN)

Pope's Cafe has had some up and downs in the last few years, but based on the excellent pies ChiTownDiner and I sampled last February, they are in an upswing!  We caught them at the perfect time as they were soon to close and our slices of pie was really a 1/4 pie!

15) Blackberry Cream - The Upper Crust (Kansas City,MO)

Located in the basement of an upscale kitchenware store, this place sells some really beautiful pies.  TTM, Cousin Johnny and I all selected a mini-pie and as usual, Cousin Johnny's choice was the clear winner.  I thought this would be a light pie by the name, but the sweet, fresh blackberries were in a wonderful, thick custard.

14) Pumpkin Pie - Nick's Kitchen (Huntington, IN)

Our visit to Nick's was during Fall, which was just the right time for pumpkin pie.  We loved the whipped, rugged texture and perfect blend of spices.  This was the best pumpkin pie I have ever had.

13) Banana Cream Pie - The Apple Pan (Los Angeles, CA)

You would think with a name like Apple Pan, that the apple pie would be the featured dessert, but it is the banana cream pie that stars here.  Real whipped topping, neatly stacked rows of fresh bananas and a wonderfully flaky crust.

12) Cherry Vanilla Pie - Orlean Market (Orlean, VA)

Orlean Market is small town general store that makes fine sandwiches, salads and chili.  We sampled a trio of desserts, including hummingbird cake and peach mango pie, but the buttery, flaky crust of the cherry vanilla pie was the big hit.

11) Black Cap Pie - Homemade Cafe (Pepin, WI)

In a case of Roadfood serendipity, I had just left the great Stockholm Pie Company to find a sign out front of Homemade Cafe advertising black cap pie.  Who could say no to that?  I grabbed a slice to go and was rewarded with deliciously sweet black raspberries on top of a light cream cheese filling.

The Top Ten pies tomorrow.....          
<message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/17/13 8:37 PM>

ann peeples
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Fri, 01/18/13 7:33 AM
Oh, my.......

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Fri, 01/18/13 9:30 AM
Finishing the best pies list, here are numbers 10-1.

10) Mexican Chocolate Pie - Pie Hole (Los Angeles, CA)

While the selection here at Pie Hole may be small, the quality of the pies makes up for it.  This pie had an interesting sandy texture, the not-too-sweet filling tasted of real chocolate, not sugar and the graham cracker crust was world class!

9) Lemon Pie - Chip's Barbecue (Little Rock, AR)

Chip's is a bbq parlor that is just as well known for their homemade pies.  The banana cream pie was a disappointment, but the lemon pie, with the real whipped topping and the bright, sunny lemon flavor was delicious!

8) Reese's Pie - Johnnie's Grill (El Reno, OK)

We loved the four seperate layers, which made this one of the most visually appealing pies of the year.  And to think I had been to Johnnie's twice before without eating their desserts.  We also really liked the chocolate surprise pie, which easily could have made this list.

7) Buttermilk Chess Pie - Hammett House (Claremore, OK)

This was my choice for the best of the four pies we sampled at Hammett House.  The rugged crust was extra thick, but still flaky.  And the filling had an unexpected cinnamon flavor, which blended well with the buttermilk tang.  A great slice of pie!

6) Coconut Custard - Woodruff's Cafe & Pie Shop (Moore, VA)

Loaded with toasted coconut in a creamy custard and owner/baker Angela Scott is a master of pie crusts.

5) Pineapple Cream - Vera's Diner (Vanceboro, NC)

As unassuming little restaurant in a small North Carolina town, the only reason I stopped in was because they mentioned homemade pies on the outside sign.  I grabbed a slice of their pineapple cream to go and ate it in my hotel later that night.  The airy meringue was excellent, while the custard filling had a strong pineapple flavor.  Next time in eastern North Carolina, I will be driving out of my way for a visit.

4) Peaches and Cream Pie - Pie Lab (Greensboro, AL)

Pie Lab (love the name!) is a community outreach project that turned into a pie shop in a small Alabama town.  This makes me want to support them no matter how the pies are, but the pies I tried were terrific!  The nutella pie was a pleasant change from the usual, but I was blown away by this peaches and cream pie, with sweet fresh fruit in a thick, creamy custard.  I already can't wait to go back!

3) Caramel Pie - Charlotte's Eats & Sweets (Keo, AR)

People flock to this tiny speck of a town just to line up for a precious seat at Charlotte's.  And while the regular food is fine, it is the pies that brings them here.  We noticed that just about every table was ordering their pies as soon as they sat down, so they won't run out of their favorite.  The caramel filling and crust are both exemplary, but it is that ethereal meringue that really makes this a special slice of pie.  While Johnny and I were eating our sandwiches, one of us bumped the table and we just watched our pies sway back and forth for the longest time.

2) Double Lemon Pie - Stockholm Pie Company (Stockholm, WI)

While the sour cream raisin pie here wasn't as earth shatteringly as good as I had hoped, this slice of pie more than made up for it.  I am a fan of most any lemon dessert and this strikes the perfect balance between sweet and tart.

1) Banana Cream Pie - Coffee Cup Cafe (Sully, IA)

With the perfectly light meringue and silky smooth banana custard, this sets the gold standard for banana cream pies.  Even if part of it fell off during photo taking!

I was disappointed in not making it to Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, Iowa in 2012 as their sour cream raisin pie has topped my list the last few years.  It was very sad to hear that the restaurant is closing due to the health of owners Mark Johnson and his mother Charlene.  I wish them the very best.    
<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 01/18/13 9:57 AM>

ChrisOC
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Fri, 01/18/13 10:14 AM
I don't see any Shoo-fly pie.

rumaki
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Fri, 01/18/13 12:20 PM
What exactly is cherry vanilla pie?

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Sat, 01/19/13 2:12 AM
ChrisOC-
Sorry, there was only one slice of shoo fly pie eaten in 2012 and it didn't make it into my top 20. There is a photo of it, from Katie's Kitchen in Ronks, PA, in the regional photos post.
<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/21/13 8:43 AM>

ann peeples
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Sat, 01/19/13 6:27 AM
I would definately go for the pineapple cream.......

CajunKing
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Sat, 01/19/13 5:36 PM
rumaki

What exactly is cherry vanilla pie?

EXTREMELY GOOD! is what it is

CajunKing
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Sat, 01/19/13 5:40 PM
Cliff

I bet it was hard to narrow down your pie list to even the top 20.  The Pineapple cream and the bananananannaana creams looked awesome, I too share your affinity for lemon, I love a good balance, but I love a slightly tart over the sweeter than tart.
Great looking photos and descriptions.

You just completed my two favorite categories of your yearly reports
Neon & Pie!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Mon, 01/21/13 8:37 AM
CK-
Yeah, quite a few really good slices of pie got left off the list.  But you can't highlight them all!  Despite a swing through Iowa, there was no great slice of sour cream raisin pie in 2012, but that is a minor complaint at best.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Mon, 01/21/13 8:42 AM
Rocky Enfield

BB,

I would say that 90% of the time Heinnies is great (every restaurant has an off day now and then).  On the weekends the wait can be an hour or longer.  If you make it this way let me know and I will tip you off to some of our other local landmarks that I believe would be worthy of your interest.  That would include the place to get the finest donut I have ever had and Amish Crack, handmade chocolates and a few other items.

I would also enjoy joining you for a juicy steak at Heinnies. 

PS Love onions and when I spoke to the person that answered the phone at Powers they said thjey were open on Sundays.  Just to be on the safe side I will stop on Saturday .

If you like oriental food the next time you are Fort Wayne stop by Ma Hnin a Burmese/Thai restaurant on Calhoun just a mile south of Powers.  Auhtentic and excellent!  A tiny place and most of the time when I am there I am the only non-oriental in the place so I take that as a good sign.  The prices are sinfully inexpensive.

They said Powers Hamburgers is open on Sunday?  Wow, I have been outside of their building a few times on Sunday to get some daytime photos and they have always been closed.  I wonder if that is something new. 

It sounds like you know Fort Wayne very well.  I am a big fan of FW and we think our weekend there in October was one of our most fun all year.

And I would love to have you join us in Heinnie's when we go!  Thanks for the offer.   

Rocky Enfield
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Mon, 01/21/13 10:39 AM
I was able to get to Power's right at noon on Saturday and the place was packed with all the seats taken and people standing around waiting .  It is a tiny little place but the staff is very efficient and very friendly.  There were people coming in and calling in orders for 12-18 burgers at a time.  Even though it was very crowded all the people were nice to each other holding the door open and being very polite.

I ordered 4 double cheeseburgers and enjoyed observing the eclectic mix of customers.  They pretty much had them all, young - old, rich - poor, different races and most patiently waiting for the food.  One person got impatient and asked for a refund and left but the rest were happy to wait.

It was incredible to see the griddle completely covered in burgers and onions.  When I got mine I went out to the car and wolfed down the first one.  DELICIOUS!  It was all I want in a burger.  Simple in its prep but outstanding in its flavor and juiciness.  The onions were the crown jewel just dripping out of it.

The one problem I had is in taking them to go they turned into a juicy hot mess after a few minutes.  I enjoyed them all the same but next time I order them to eat there to hold down the mess and to enjoy more of the people watching.

Day 2 we trekked out to the Spyro's on W. Jefferson for breakfast.  We knew we were in trouble when approached and the parking lot was packed.  We asked about a table for 7 and were told about 20 minutes but with 7 people eating and a swim meet to get to we decided we might be cutting it too close and had to pass.  Unfortunately we had to settle for IHOP but, now we can't wait for the next swim meet in FW so we can plan ahead better and make it to Spyro's in time.  Any place that busy has got to be GREAT!   In addition, I explained to my wife and our friend how I had come to hear of Spyro's and they are all the more intriqued to try the place that may land as a top 10 breakfast for Buffetbuster

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Mon, 01/21/13 11:07 AM
Rocky-
So glad that you had a good experience at Powers.  Yeah, I can imagine that with all those onions eating them in your car would become a problem.  The fact that Powers is small and can get very crowded has prevented me from eating any of their pie, since there is always someone wating to take my seat as soon as I am done.  Thanks for reporting back!

And that is too bad that you didn't have time for Spyro's.  If my photos had been better, I would have written up an official Roadfood review.      

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 8:35 AM
We met so many wonderful people along the way in 2012.  Here are some of the more memorable ones:

Yeah, the food at Beacon Drive-In isn't great, but I still love coming here if for no other reason than to see JC Strobel

shout out my order to the kitchen.  JC has been here for over 50 years now and is legally blind.  He is such a local institution that they used to sell bobbleheads of his likeness!  In past visits here, there has always been a line, but this year I stopped in shortly after they opened on a Sunday morning, which gave me a few precious moments to chat with the man.  Here is a short video of JC in action.

Nobody in Roadfood has a bigger smile than Roque

of Roque's Carnitas in Santa Fe, NM.

With the help of his grandmother, young Austin Herron

bought Jack's North Hi Carryout, a wonderful little burger stand in Wichita, KS.  Based on the burgers we enjoyed, this place is in good hands for many years to come.

Restaurant employees are usually very friendly when you visit them on the Roadfood bus tour, but the nice people

at The Lunchbox in Meriden, CT even came outside to wave at the bus as we were leaving.

Mariton poses with Mary Fannie Woodruff

of Woodruff's Cafe & Pie Shop in Monroe, VA.  Miss Mary is well into her 90s, but still holds court at the back table, reading her bible and providing what she calls "the entertainment".

At J & W Grill in Chickasha, OK, Darren Cook

kept up a running conversation.  But since he was working the grill at the same time, it took place with his back turned towards us!  He told us how he used to ride by the place when he was just 12 years old on his paper route and now he owns the place.

We're not sure if this man

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year.  Hearing it was our first visit, he was constantly at our table, telling jokes and making sure we liked our food.  We did!  At one point, he was wearing a cabbage leaf as a yarmulke, saying he wanted to leave zero carbon footprint!

During most of the time we were at Flip's BBQ in Wilmington, NC, we were the only customers, which allowed us plenty of time to chat with the friendly owner.  His daughter, who now lives in Charleston, stopped in and since we were headed that way, she gave Mariton some helpful tips of where to go for shopping.  When I suggested a father/daughter photo, they were happy to oblige.

Being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and season ticket holder, I was shocked to see a man

walk into Teresa's Mosaic Cafe dressed in all Steelers clothing.  He said he has never been to the Steel City and has no connection, but just likes the team.

No year is complete without at least one stop at Niecie's in Kansas City to see our favorite waitress, Miss Myra C. 

Luckily for us, Miss Myra enjoys posing for photos.  This year, she gathered up the troops and they posed behind the counter.  She said she wanted to holding some food, so she grabbed the closest thing, a plate of cookies.

This nice lady

didn't wait on us at Pie 'N Burger in Pasadena, CA, but she still stopped and said hello.  She told us that after being there for 29 years, she is tired of eating there, but never gets tired of eating their pie!

Josie's German Cakes & Market in Mechanicsburg, PA is a little store that puts out fantastic plate lunches.  Josie's passed away a few years back, but is now being run by her son

in her memory.

Another mother/son

team was at Big Dipper Ice Cream Factory in Prospect, CT, where they took time to tell us about their business and answer questions.  They also let us order any ice cream we wanted and only charged us a dollar each!

This time it is father/daughter

at the friendliest spot in Miami's Little Havana, El Mago de las Fritas.  We got lucky as the daughter brought in a cake to celebrate the 28th anniversary of her dad at the restaurant.

This young lady

with the great smile was very happy to meet me, since she rarely gets to talk hockey, which is no surprise since she lives in Oklahoma and works at The Diner in Norman.  She is such a big fan, she even named her son after her favorite player, Brendan Shanahan.

Everytime I leave the Wilton Candy Kitchen in Wilton, IA, I can't help but think will this be the last time.  After all, owner George Napolous

is now 90.  But, he says he has no plans to retire and during my visit, he was his usual, charming, wisecracking self.

In the review for Poe Boy Luncheon in Nashville, TN, Michael Stern included a photo of the chef's son, Kadarius.  I was fortunate enough to get a photo of father and son together.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 8:45 AM>

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 10:29 AM
buffetbuster

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year.  Hearing it was our first visit, he was constantly at our table, telling jokes and making sure we liked our food.  We did!  At one point, he was wearing a cabbage leaf as a yarmulke, saying he wanted to leave zero carbon footprint!

You got Cousin Johnny in his usual "My Name is Earl" pose.

I loved the lady at Pie and Burger. She was a hoot.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 10:41 AM
TTM-
Poor Johnny!  The lady at Pie 'N Burger was a hoot and our own waitress was wonderful, too.  I wish I had asked her for a photo.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 11:01 AM
Some of my favorite pie art and images from 2012:

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 12:01 PM
buffetbuster

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year. 

When I brought 2 female co-workers (both very blond and obviously non-Jewish) to the 2nd Ave. Deli for lunch, this gentleman said to me "Thanks for bringing the shiksas. Just make sure that don't order anything on white bread with mayo." He later stopped by our table and beamed proudly as he saw us devouring Mushroom Barley Soup, Matzo ball Soup, Corned Beef and Pastrami sandwiches (on rye with mustard, of course), kashe varnishkas and knishes. What a great character. 

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 12:29 PM
Howard-
Oh I can definitely see him saying that.  When we ate, he came over and asked what brought us to Second Avenue Deli.   I told him it was our first time there and that a friend of mine said they were the best deli in NYC.  He replies, "I doubt that".  He had to see the surprised look on my face and without missing a beat, he continued, "Not that we're the best, I doubt that you have friends!"  Hilarious! 

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 12:50 PM
Hot dog images are even more popular than pie.  Here are some I came across in 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 5:24 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17803
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 12:59 PM
BB, I love the Franktuary sign. It reminds me of a place in Pittsburgh that we went to last month -- Burgatory. Have you been there? The burgers were terrific.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 1:03 PM
Michael-
Yes, I have been to Burgatory and liked it also.  As good as the burgers were, we got an even better milkshake there.

BTW, one of the hot dog photos is from Orr's Drive In in Byesville, OH.  This may be worth it for you and lleechef to check out one of these days when driving back and forth from Pittsburgh.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17803
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 1:13 PM
Good idea about Orr's. I've been to Byesville a few times (I used to hunt deer around there) but I never paid any attention to eating places. Last Thursday, on our way back from Beaver Falls we stopped in Cambridge for lunch at the Ruby Tuesdays. We were sort of in a hurry, and it's right off the highway. We could almost as easily have gone to Orr's.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 01/22/13 1:16 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 1:42 PM
Even the tips jars are an opportunity for a restaurant to be creative:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 02/4/13 2:32 PM>

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 4:10 PM
buffetbuster

And apparently recommended by Ann Landers!  Were you awake enough to smell the coffee?

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 5:15 PM
SC, that was a night time photo.  I try not to have two or three slices of pie right before bed!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 5:33 PM
Just about every bbq parlor, especially in the South, love to decorate with pigs and porcine images:

rumaki
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 5:42 PM
Love the neon, as always.  Thanks!

That sign from Scott's is just a bit disturbing. Sort of St. Lawrence on the Gridiron!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 5:50 PM
I didn't get the reference to St. Lawrence on the Gridiron and had to look it up.  That is a little disturbing!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 6:03 PM
To the best of my recollection, I was only TravelinManned three times in 2012.

There was Mr. Bibb's in Des Moines, Iowa:

Charlie's Hamburgers in Folsom, PA:

And La Super Rica in Santa Barbara, CA

Better luck next year my friend!

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 6:40 PM
I'll definitely have to check Marty's out!

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 7:42 PM
Some of the best "anything that swims" images from 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 7:45 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Tue, 01/22/13 10:22 PM
buffetbuster
I didn't get the reference to St. Lawrence on the Gridiron and had to look it up.  That is a little disturbing!

I swear on my life, I'm not trying to make a sick joke, but, Google "Patron Saint of Barbecue" and see what you get...

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Tue, 01/22/13 10:25 PM>

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/23/13 12:21 AM
What marvelous photos.

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/23/13 7:49 AM
Some of my favorite chicken signs and images from 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 01/23/13 8:04 AM>

buffetbuster
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) - Wed, 01/23/13 8:03 AM
Finishing up the signs, bovine images seem to be even more popular at ice cream shops than at steak houses.

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 121 to 180 of 271