My favorite breakfast spot.

Author
porkpa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/03/02 05:53:00 (permalink)

My favorite breakfast spot.

I LOVE GRITS!!
Believe it or not, the very best grits I've ever had are in southern California at a diner type restaurant called the Hungry Fox on Sherman Way at the border of North Hollywood and Van Nuys. Not only are the grits outstanding, but so is their entire breakfast offering. The grits are served in a large bowl with butter, brown sugar, raisins and milk available on the side. I am a purist and have mine with just butter and a little tabasco. Are they ever good!!
The Hungry Fox is one terrific breakfast place. In addition to the regular breakfast items one finds at most places, the "Fox" also regularly offers specials such as as eggs benedict, eggs Florentine, lox and Onion as well as most other omelettes; matzo brei as well as most breakfast foods you can think of. Scrapple is a notable exception. They also have both homefries(the best) and hashbrowns.
Each customer gets a lazy Susan containing fresh made salsa as well as several homemade preserves. All of them are outstanding.
My wife and I live in Pennsylvania where we rarely have breakfast. We go to California to visit our grown children and grandchildren three or four times a year. While we are there we breakfast at the Hungry Fox every day. That's how good we think it is!! The restaurant changed hands several months ago, but the high quality standards appear to have been maintained. There are numerous regulars. I can't remember being there when there weren't a few LAPD officers having their breakfast.
If you go try to get Susie as your waitress. Susie has been there for the several years that we have been going. She knows all of her customers by name even if its been months since you were last there. My son had not been there for some time due to the pressures of work. Susie called him to make sure he was allright. You will be a stranger to her only once.
The only change I might suggest is that they add freshly squeezed fruit juice(their fresh fruit is excellent) to their menu. Otherwise IMO it is the perfect breakfast restaurant.
Porkpa

23 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15219
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/02 08:33:40 (permalink)
    PorkPa
    Welcome to Roadfood, and thanks for the tip. I hope some of our SoCal folks will enjoy a stop there soon. It sounds like a great way to start a day.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6747
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/02 11:53:26 (permalink)
    If the LAPD hangs out there, it must be good! (I used to go out with a state trooper in MA and the cops all know the good places to eat!!!) We'll have to check it out next trip to SoCal.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18357
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/02 11:59:17 (permalink)
    I'm a Waffle House guy. Of course, there's a place called the Grill & Skillet in the Columbus area that serves mighty tasty corned beef hash and eggs, and a killer Spanish omlet. But there's a place in Flanders, Connecticut, a block from the I-95 exit, called The Shack that's absolutely fabulous for breakfast.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/02 12:01:13 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity, what happened to the delete button? I haven't seen one on my posts in a while.
    Burp!
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/04 13:45:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

If the LAPD hangs out there, it must be good! (I used to go out with a state trooper in MA and the cops all know the good places to eat!!!)

Just a note that there might be another reason why cops might like a certain restaurant. Some will offer "professional discounts" either on the whole bill or offer free coffee to cops. To accept these "discounts" is usually something that violates most law enforcement agencies' code of ethics. And while this code is to keep officers from accepting graft for free protection, most places are making such offers simply out of appreciation and/or because they are former officers themselves. I can't really say I have a problem with this (I've been the one offering a few times), and I've seen a lot of cops turn this offer down (sometimes leaving a tip to cover everything to avoid any appearance of impropriety). Hey, if I'm able to give a cop some caffeine that keeps him alert on a mostly boring job, then I feel like I've both shown my appreciation and have done the cop & community a service.

I must add that at least while living in California I never saw a restaurant patronized by multiple cops that had bad food (I haven't seen any restaurants favored by multiple cops in Washington yet).

A humorous side note:
    There used to be a restaurant called The Jolly Rodger in the town I grew up in that was very good. Nearly every morning one would see four sheriff's dept. cars, three CHP cars, and a tow truck parked in front. Apparently one day a woman living about a mile away had a burglar attempting to gain entry to her home. Rather than calling the sheriffs dept., she ran outside to her car and drove to the restaurant. Well, this incident made the local newspaper. For some reason I never saw more than one peace officer's car parked there again.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/04 13:56:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the delete button? I haven't seen one on my posts in a while.

DING-DING-DING-DING !!!!!!

We have a winner in the most loaded question contest." />
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/07 14:33:24 (permalink)
    Got called up for jury duty and got there early so i went to find some breakfast and found a true gem of a place in Eufalla Ok---"JM"S'-----breakfast lunch and dinner and everyone is great---great omelets,biscuits and gravy and a pork chop breakfast that i have hard finishing for $6.50---and steaks ,chops ,meatloaf,chicken--anything you can ask for dinner along with killer in house made burgers. Ive become addicted---had to go back to the courthouse a few times now and its the first time i can recall actually looking forward to jury duty. Next time---Country ham and eggs with fried potatoes and biscuit with sorgumbutter!---btw thats also $6.50
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/07 18:54:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

DING-DING-DING-DING !!!!!!

We have a winner in the most loaded question contest." />

What's loaded about it? There used to be a delete button on one's own posts. It's not there any longer -- at least not on mine.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/07 21:36:40 (permalink)
    For several months I'd been aware that our favorite local barbeque place,[url='http://www.ljsbbq.com/']LJ's BBQ[/url], served a brunch but for whatever reason we hadn't gone to sample it. After rising late this morning, we decided to eat out. For breakfast this usually means a trip to the [url='http://www.dinercity.com/riDiner/modernExtM.jpg']Modern Diner[/url] for their super cranberry and almond pancakes. But they get so crowded...so it was off to try LJ's brunch.

The smell of smoked meat as you enter - the friendly, downright homey atmosphere, with everyone treated as a regular - these alone make any trip to LJ's a relaxing and enjoyable one. Naysayers might sniff at barbeque in the frankly un-Southern environs of Providence, Rhode Island, but LJ's delivers superb pulled pork. And that's where breakfast got interesting. Sure, one could order eggs, or pancakes, or any of the usual choices. But why bother when there was the option of an LJ's Benedict: grilled cornbread with a heap of pulled pork above, topped with a poached egg and covered in chipotle-spike hollandaise sauce and served with home fries.

Simply unreal. The home fries were large and crusty - made from red potatoes, they melted on the inside, a perfect comination of crunchy and soft. The cornbread soaked up the hollandaise, becoming impossibly rich and buttery. I was afraid that the chipotle would add too much heat and overpower the taste of the dish, but it was in perfect balance, smoky and warm without dominating the other tastes. And the pork...oh my. Never have I had pulled pork used to such good effect. I kept taking bites that struck, under the smoke and heat, distinctly sweet notes. I couldn't figure out what it was - some herb added to the sauce that I hadn't noticed, perhaps? - until my final mouthfuls. Then I realized it was the natural sweetness of the pork shining through, offering a brilliant contrast to the hollandaise.

LJ's is a humble sort of place, appropriate to its cuisine. But as we left, I told Linda Jane that their eggs benedict, which she created, was a stroke of genius. She laughed, but I meant every word.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/08 06:17:23 (permalink)
    You know most of the socalled Benedict breakfasts that i have seen boar me to death but this sounds really tasty!! although my first thought was that only a New Englander would put Hollandaise on Barbeque!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/08 09:44:08 (permalink)
    Hollandaise on pulled pork?
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/08 10:33:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Michael Hoffman sounds queasy: Hollandaise on pulled pork?

Darn right. With bit of chipotle peppers in the sauce, to be precise. Sure, it's not traditional, but authenticity can be overrated. All I can say is, don't knock it 'til you try it. One of the most amazing, if artery-clogging, meals I've had in a long while.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/08 12:53:38 (permalink)
    Back home in Kinston we had a locally owned greasey spoon called Lovick's. their claim to fame was a dough-burger but I always went for the breakfast. No where else do I know of that stills uses Olio on the grill instead of butter, margarine or oil. Great corned beef hash and pancakes.

YUMMMMMM... May need to go back to visit.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7749
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/08 14:17:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jgleduc

. After rising late this morning, we decided to eat out. For breakfast this usually means a trip to the[url='http://www.dinercity.com/riDiner/modernExtM.jpg']Modern Diner[/url] for their super cranberry and almond pancakes.

It's funny you should mention the cranberry and almond pancakes! Those are my favorite too!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/03/23 14:11:16 (permalink)
    My favorite breakfast place is the Olympic Flame in Myrtle Beach, SC.
    If is right across from the ocean and you can sit and look out at the water while you eat, but the food can't be beat. Their Belgian Waffles and the best and they really do a good job with country ham.
    I also have to have a mug of their hot chocolate. It is served in a clear glass mug with whip cream on top. If you are ever in the Myrtle Beach area, be sure and give them a try. They are across from the
    Yachtsman Resort.
    clemspal
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/06/01 17:16:04 (permalink)
    the dipsea cafe
    mill valley , ca

chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/06/01 17:27:00 (permalink)
    Our favorite breakfast place is called Baughers and is 25 miles away in Westminster MD. and well worth it for a Saturday morning drive. Just look at these prices.
    Breakfast

One Egg w/ Toast.............................1.60
    Two Eggs w/ Toast...........................1.85
    with Scrapple............................2.65
    with Bacon................................3.15
    with Sausage.............................3.60
    with Ham..................................3.95
    Two Poached Eggs...........................2.10
    Two Fat Free Eggs...........................2.35
    Fried Egg Sandwich..........................1.50
    with Ham, Sausage or Bacon.....2.55
    Cheese Omelet..................................2.30
    Ham and Cheese Omelet...................3.40
    Western Omelet................................3.65
    Two Hotcakes with Syrup.................1.70
    with Scrapple............................2.50
    with Bacon................................3.00
    with Sausage.............................3.45
    with Ham..................................3.80
    with Chipped Beef....................3.80
    Three Hotcakes with Syrup...............2.15
    Two Blueberry Hotcakes w/ Syrup....2.05
    Three Blueberry Hotcakes w/ Syrup..2.75
    French Toast.....................................1.85
    Texas French Toast (thick sliced).......2.40
    Chipped Beef on Toast or Biscuits.....3.15
    Cereal...............................................1.55
    with fresh fruit............................1.80
    Apple Spice Oatmeal.........................1.90
    Lite Breakfast....................................3.75
    (fat free eggs, turkey sausage & fruit cup)

Extras
    Home Fries........................................1.25
    Ham...................................................2.40
    Bacon................................................1.65
    Sausage..............................................2.00
    Scrapple.............................................1.50
    Turkey Sausage..................................1.50
    One Biscuit.......................................... .50
    Two Biscuits........................................ .95
    Bagel (Plain or Cinnamon Raisin).............1.40
    Toast or Cinnamon Toast....................1.10
    Donut.................................................. .50
    English Muffin.....................................1.10
    Fruit Cup............................................1.00

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/06/04 05:12:09 (permalink)
    Best breakfast on the road for me is Johnsons Corner, exit 254 off I-25 in Loveland, CO. I discovered it while I was driving over the road truck for Dick Simon. The ham and cheese omlette is worth dying for, as are the huge cinnamon sticky buns baked on site. Here in the high desert of Socal, I like the Waffle Iron in Apple Valley, a true hole in the wall, and for the best Chile Verde Omlette and corn tortillas breakfast anywhere, it's Letty's Restaurant here in Lucerne Valley.
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/06/04 07:49:46 (permalink)
    OMG...grits with brown sugar, raisins and milk? I think you have undermined the history of the South. Leave it to California to pervert grits.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/06/04 10:47:53 (permalink)
    2 spots----
    JM's in Eufaula Ok---wonderful pork chop and eggs,excellent country ham and eggs, great prices----and

Morning Thunder---Chico california, where all the platters feed tow or three---pancakes bigger then the plate,killer homefries,huge omelates and really good coffee,biscuits and gravy that fills a huge platter and includes about a 1/2 lb sauasage patty--not to mention the best looking,most effiecent and friendly waitresses in the county!
    LaurieGee52
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/08/02 01:39:23 (permalink)
    Ever since arriving in sunny SOuthern California 6+ years ago....the first restaurant we steppped into for breakfast was..."MARMALADE" in West Lake Village....had Quesadillas for first time...have been in love with that restaurant ever since....

Another restaurant we've been to is "Eggs & Things".....very basic breakfast type meals but more than generous in portions and leaves you feeling satisfied!

LaurieGee52
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/08/03 15:36:11 (permalink)
    My favorite breakfast place is in Minneapolis. It's called Hell's Kitchen. The decor is all in black and red and there are framed Ralph Steadman cartoons with a Satan theme all along the walls. The food is great. They have a breakfast bread that has sausage and coffee in it that sounds strange, but is great. Everything is very fresh and much of it is locally grown and organic. Try the lemon ricotta pancakes with fresh berries. Too bad I live 450 miles south of there.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: My favorite breakfast spot. 2004/08/03 16:42:18 (permalink)
    Eeeep! I don't like the Southern Kitchen in New Market VA for any other meal except breakfast.
    Last time I went there, I pigged out on the big platter.
    So much country ham, so little time.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1