My first chili fest

Author
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
2007/02/25 15:42:07 (permalink)

My first chili fest

Victory Brewery in Downingtown, PA held their fifth chili cook-off today and it was my first. Over 25 chili's in "open" competition, washed down with Hop Devil for my wife and Storm King Stout for me. Interesting to note that after a few, I skipped over ground beef and kidney bean versions (that I grew up with) and hunted down shredded or cubed beef, preferably without beans ala Texas style. But some standouts included a turkey mole and one with a dollop of chile pepper ice cream that was surprisingly wonderful. Another used a Jamaican jerk seasoning that was very flavorful. We go to a few beer fests but this is a new (for us) and good combination. Great beer and hot chile took the edge off the fact it is snowing outside.

2 Replies Related Threads

desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: My first chili fest 2007/03/01 12:18:27 (permalink)

We have one coming up next Saturday, I am still contemplating entry...(have till this Saturday), how was it as a first timer? How much "stuff" did you need and how strict are they from the Food Handling side of things? Sometimes it does not seem worth the effort/hassle.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: My first chili fest 2007/03/01 12:51:33 (permalink)
    I was there as eater, not preparer but it looked pretty simple. Basic setup would be some bricks circling a sterno with a pot-o-chili on top. Ladle into little condiment cups provided by the brewery. Wear some gloves to allay germaphobe fears and that's it. Some decorate their tables and provide chips, crackers or tiny corn muffins. This was home cooked chili then heated there so the whole NSF thing wasn't a concern. Only instructions I saw were that you had to make something like five gallons to give out. We're thinking about entering next year just for fun if I can hone down my chili to something a little unique.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1