My head's in Mississippi

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Author
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/13 09:47:01 (permalink)
Beas in choo choo also round table but what you have shown makes me want to take a nap. mean over the top on everything need an photo person for next road trip, can be had cheap,not easy but cheap I've gained three pounds just looking at the pic's. Peas ,squash,cornbread, beer,and fried chicken fried catfish.
Butter Beans
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/13 10:00:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Curbside Grill

Beas in choo choo also round table
Does choo choo mean Chattanooga?

buzzbait82-
Sorry, but I am all finished with Hattiesburg.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/13 10:08:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

quote:
Originally posted by Curbside Grill

Beas in choo choo also round table
Does choo choo mean Chattanooga?

buzzbait82-
Sorry, but I am all finished with Hattiesburg.

Gotta get the "Curbside Grill" translator I think you can download the program from the "roadfood" website !
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/13 21:27:24 (permalink)
yes Chattanooga Bea's
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/13 22:35:00 (permalink)

Gotta get the "Curbside Grill" translator I think you can download the program from the "roadfood" website !

Sorry old profession coming thru, right arm in sling and not lefthanded at all.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/15 03:02:56 (permalink)
Wow, Mendenhall's looks wonderful. Your adventures are making me eager to hit the road again,BB.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/15 15:20:28 (permalink)
Thursday December 4, 2008 

I had some difficulties finding my breakfast destination, The Bayless Restaurant

in Bay Springs. This was because they don't have an outside sign. The only way I found the place was because someone gave me directions that it was across the street from the Shell station, next to the pawn shop.

I know the the Sterns have said in the past that sometimes the best sign of a great Roadfood restaurant is no sign at all. But, that was not the case here. Not that there was anything wrong with my breakfast of eggs, hash browns and ham.

But, you could have gotten this meal in most restaurants across the country.

I did notice one potentially interesting item, listed as cheese bread. So, I placed an order.

Well, maybe not so interesting, after all. The most intriguing thing about the place was spelled out on the menu cover.

Of course, I asked for a piece of pie, but they said it wouldn't be out of the oven for at least another hour. Next time! Has anyone ever had the coconut pie from here?

Anyway, the food was okay, the place was clean, the people were nice and it was even Wi-fi, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. Unless that pie really is that good.

I detoured into Meridian to see the art deco Threefoot Building,

which also happens to be the town's tallest structure. Like Greenville, Meridian seems to have seen better days. Even the Threefoot Building was marked off with orange construction barrels and tape and looked deserted. One nice thing I did see in town was they had several merry-go-round horses, all painted up and sitting in strategic locations.

Lunch was a place I had been eagerly anticipating, Peggy's in Philadelphia, MS. Open since 1961, Peggy's is a weekday lunch only buffet restaurant, located in what used to be the family home.

The first thing you notice when you walk in is that they have an honor system set up for paying your bill.

I think that is really cool! Obviously, this system must work for them or they wouldn't use it. I did see the owner walk over several times and pocket excess money not necessary to make change.

The buffet is set up in a hallway to the kitchen.

Here is a closer look and some of the food available.

Beverages are also serve yourself

and included lemonade, sweet and unsweet tea and water.

My first (of two) plates.

All of the vegetables (creamed corn, turnip greens, green beans and butter beans) were seasoned just like you would expect at a top notch Southern soul restaurant. All were winners. I remember sitting there thinking about how buttery the lima beans were, not knowing they were actually called butter beans. The fried pork chop was fine, but clearly overshadowed by the vegatables. Some rolls and good corn sticks come with your meal.

Dessert was a simple piece of white cake, with chocolate icing.

Since I was sitting at a table with a clear view into the kitchen, I was frequently checking out the activity within. At one point, an older black woman said hello to me from the kitchen. The owner walked by and proudly pronounced the woman had been cooking here for 31 years. I nodded my head in appreciation.

Looking at the menu on Peggy's website, it appears I visited on the wrong day. They are actually most famous for their fried chicken, which is available on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. And Mondays include chicken & dumplings and lemon ice box pie. If I throughly enjoyed Peggy's on a Thursday, I imagine I would love it any other day.

http://www.geocities.com/peggysfriedchicken/Menu.html

I got back in my car and kept heading north and east.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:17:51
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/15 17:37:55 (permalink)
Oh, a table with mismatched bowls in the hallway, I love it.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 01:06:17 (permalink)
quote:
Wednesday December 3... I watched them set up the dishes on the large round tables and I was just aching to get at all that wonderful food.

Buffetbuster,
You not just making me HONGRY, you nearly 'bout making me CRY!! That's some spread, Pal. And for $11.00? That borders on the Insane Bargain Department.
Mercy.
Amaizedly, Ort. Carlton in Often-Cornball Athens, Georgia.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 13:42:46 (permalink)
Nancy-
Peggy's was so charming, it had me won over even before I tried the food. Luckily, the food was so good, too. Once again, how can resist a buffet table in a hallway?

Ort-
Since I went to Walnut Hills and The Dinner Bell just days apart, the differences were particularly striking. At The Dinner Bell, the food was vastly superior for half the price. It has to be one of the best bargains in the whole South!
bethgrd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 13:55:26 (permalink)
cliff, great report. love the local color. have to get there myself some year. you have so much fun with yourself!! a great quality in a person. beth
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 14:42:40 (permalink)
Thursday December 4, 2008 cont.

My first stop once I got to Starkville was to check into my room at the Hotel Chester. A small, old hotel right in the downtown area, I really enjoyed my stay here.

http://www.historichotelchester.com/

Deciding to explore the downtown area on foot, I was shocked to see another Doe's Eat Place right next door.

Figuring this was an omen, I changed my eating plans for the rest of the day.

After visiting the Mississippi State University bookstore, I drove around the campus. Hey, its the Palmeiro Center!

Is it just my imagination or is it freakishly bigger than I remember?

When I was at Walnut Hills, the family I dined with all agreed that I should hit The Little Dooey while in Starkville. So, I made that my late lunch.

The Little Dooey

is just off campus and is extremely popular with students and national broadcasters who come here to cover Bulldog sports teams. I had to park in an alley behind the building, but that just let me see this always welcome sight.

When you walk in, you place your order at the counter. The menu is huge

and seems to offer something for everyone. But, they are best known for their bbq, specifically the pulled pork.

I placed my order, gave them my name and sat at one of the booths in back. Not exactly deluxe accomodations,

but for a bbq parlor in Mississippi, it seemed about right. I checked out the different bottles of sauce on the table.

After a short wait, my food arrived.

The pulled pork was so soft and tender. I can see why this came highly recommended. The potato salad was nothing special, but I sure did enjoy the baked beans, which was doctored with the bbq sauce, onions and pork.

Excellent!

While paying, I noticed some fine looking pies in the display case and grabbed a piece of the lemon to go.

It got a little bounced around on the drive back to the hotel, but it was a very pleasing slice of lemon pie.

While still a notch below Leatha's back in Hattiesburg, The Little Dooey is well worth a visit.

http://www.littledooey.com/index.htm

I did some more shopping, got my hair cut and relaxed in my hotel until around 9:00PM. Then I walked next door to have a late dinner at Doe's Eat Place. The neon sign looked even better at night.

Since I just ate at the original Doe's in Greenville a few days earlier, plus the one in Little Rock about a month ago, the plan was to try some of their other items. But, once I saw they had a manageable 1 1/2 lb. porterhouse, my decision was made.

My meal started with a 1/2 order of the shrimp. My waitress was nice enough to let me split the order between the broiled shrimp

and the fried shrimp.

Don't ask me which was better, because they were both very fresh and flavorful. The typical refreshing Doe's salad followed.

My waitress surprised me with the next item.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of these, although I do know the word drop is in there. They are not hushpuppies. They came with honey butter, plus she brought out a jar of honey, too. Whatever they were, they were hot and delicious and dessert worthy!

Finally, it was time for the big boy!

I must have taken 20 photos of my porterhouse and this was the best I could come up with. Sorry!

I was a little concerned whether the food could live up to what I had at other Doe's Eat Places, but this was an excellent steak. Despite everything I had eaten earlier in the day, I put this away easily. No problem with the typical wonderful Doe's fries, either.

I would be remiss if I don't mention more about my waitress. Since this is a college town, no surprise she was a student. But since she hailed from Greenville, she knew all about the original Doe's and we had a good time comparing the two places. She was a real sweetie in both personality and looks and took fantastic care of me.

Earlier in the meal, I had told her about my trip. Later on, she said the owner of the original Doe's were here and were dining at another table.

Never the shy one, I planned on stopping over and saying hello. But the waitress told them about me and the man in the orange sweater came over and introduced himself. He is known as "Big Doe". We chatted for a few minutes and he went back to his table.

As I was leaving, I stopped to say goodbye and meet the rest of the group. All of the them were very pleasant and pleased to hear how much I enjoyed my meals. I also told them we were going to have a big Roadfood get together in Greenville in February and Big Doe said he would take care of us. Very nice people!

http://www.doeseatplace.com/starkville.htm

I went back to my hotel and slept the sleep of the well fed!

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:18:54
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 14:52:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bethgrd

cliff, great report. love the local color. have to get there myself some year. you have so much fun with yourself!! a great quality in a person. beth
Thanks Beth! Coming from one of my favorite Roadfood people, I really appreciate that. In a place like Mississippi, it is very easy to experience the local color.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 15:05:18 (permalink)

BB

After sending in an email to the Greenville Location, I got a phone call from "Big Doe" the other day. We talked about the Friday the 13th gathering for the RF folks and I was assured they would do their best to take care of us. Big Doe said he would be here that night to greet us and thanked all the RF members who have visited the Doe's locations across the South. We are really looking forward to meeting him in February.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 15:39:57 (permalink)
Friday December 5, 2008 

Since several people had recommended Shipley Do-nuts, I made that my first stop.

As you can see, they are quite popular.

Knowing I had many food stops planned for this day, I didn't want to overdo it. I ended up buying a chocolate glazed, a cinnamon and a cream longjohn.

Good, solid donuts, with the cinnamon being my favorite. They also had a sign advertising the smoked sausage roll, so I got one of those, too.

This reminded me of the kolaches back in Texas.

Being an agricultural school, Mississippi State is well known for their ice cream and cheese. I went back to campus and visited their store. The cheese would be very difficult for me to get home, so I focused on the ice cream.

All the usual supects of flavors were here, but two unusual ones, sweet potato and muscadine ripple, caught my eye. Here is the muscadine.

Ice cream doesn't get much fresher than this, although the sweet potato wasn't a flavor my tongue was used to in ice cream. Worth trying once!

My next stop was one I have really been looking forward to, Bill's Hamburgers in Amory, MS.

Located on the main road through town, this is truly where the locals eat. My last visit here was in 2001 and I was hoping it was still the same charming place.

The sign on the inside wall tells of their history.

Bill's Hamburgers opens at 7:30AM and they do not serve breakfast. People come here that early to eat burgers.

I ordered a double "with", which means mustard and onion.

Bigger than sliders, but smaller than typical burgers, these still pack a wonderful, strong beefy taste. I also like they come delivered on wax paper. This experienced grill has to be partially responsible for the great flavor.

Also enjoyed were a side of crunchy onion rings

and what was called a hot pie.

As much as I enjoyed my food, the atmosphere of this place is just as big a draw. The locals who were also eating were very friendly and had suggestions of other stops for me. And the owner Reid Wilkerson was also funny and pleasant. Here he is posed with his adorable daughter. (I think her name was Rachel)

When I was taking photos of the inside, she was trying so hard to get in the pictures.

You can see her little red arm sticking up in the middle of the photo.

Many times when you visit a great little Roadfood place like this, you wonder if it will still be here the next time you are through. I feel really good about Bill's Hamburgers with Reid as the owner. His family owned a store down the street and he has been eating here all his life. So, he bought it just a few years ago. You can tell he really loves the place. Long live Bill's Hamburgers!

BTW, how do you get to be "The Hobo Queen"?

Much more to come.....

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:21:07
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 16:15:52 (permalink)
Damn, son, how long were you in Mississippi? And seriously, now I'm *starving*. :)
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 16:43:14 (permalink)
quote:

BTW, how do you get to be "The Hobo Queen"?

The National Hobo Convention! Sure enough, "Ms. Charlotte" is listed as royalty:http://www.brittiowa.com/hobo/royalty.htm
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/16 16:58:21 (permalink)
BB, I was in Houston for six months and there was a Shipely's right down the street from my Marriott Hotel. I stopped in there quite often and always early in the morning when the glazed donuts where fresh and hot. I also purchased many of the Kolache's over the months. They were very good but I have had better but they were close and handy and in addition, they where hot and fresh.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 08:48:05 (permalink)
Paul-
I have since learned that Shipley donuts are out of Houston, so it is no surprise that they hall kolaches or kolache type rolls available. They are all over Mississippi and the locals seem to love them, so they are obviously doing something right.

Bruce & Sue-
Thanks for the link. This is apparently a bigger deal that I had first thought.

Nancy-
I know, this is taking forever. Hopefully, this report will be done by the weekend.

Al-
Glad to hear that Big Doe gave you a call and that he will be there the night we are getting together.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 09:01:24 (permalink)
Burgers at 7:30AM. My kind of place.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5143
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 11:06:16 (permalink)
So how does a restaurant founded by Bob and currently owned by Reid get to be called "Bill's"? All I can figure is that it's a contraction of "B. Hill's"...

And that burger does look like excellent breakfast fare. Make mine "without", though!

Brad
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 11:23:08 (permalink)
Brad-
Agreed, that is a little strange. I believe that Bill was the second owner of the place. At home, I have a piece of paper with the history of the place and I will try and confirm this.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 11:58:04 (permalink)
Friday December 5, 2008 cont.

Since I would driving right through Tupelo, there was no way I could not stop and see Elvis' birthplace.

Amazing just how small that little home is. There are several other buildings at this park, including a museum/giftshop, a chapel, an outhouse and the church that Elvis' family used to attend. I spent an enjoyable almost two hours here.

My next destination was the lovely town of Corinth and Borroum's Drug Store.

Borroum's is the oldest continuously run drug store in Mississippi and is best known for their soda fountain and slugburgers. What is a slugburger, you ask?

Doesn't exactly make you hungry, does it?

Still, I was here and wanted to try it and received this:

Nope, no way, not even close, I didn't like it even a little bit. I asked the waitress, what else you got? She highly recommended the cheese pimiento sandwich. Now, you are talking!

This was a wonderful, delicate sandwich on toast. More than any other kind I know, pimiento cheese sandwiches go so well with tomato and lettuce. Why is that?

I followed it up with a fine hot fudge sundae.

They use Swift's ice cream, a brand I was unfamiliar with.

Before leaving, I checked the place out a little.

The painting on the left shows the Dr. Borroum, a civil war veteran, whom settled in Corinth after the war and opened the drug store.

One more stop in town, which was Dilworth's Tamales.

How about those prices? As you can see, this is a drive-thru place only. The tamales were well wrapped in aluminum foil and kept hot for many hours. They were longer and skinny than other tamales I had seen.

You could just squeeze the ends, but unwrapping the paper around them proved to be the easiest (and least messy) way.

The tamales provide a peppery jolt and some heat and were quite good.

I continued north, on into Tennessee.

Much more to come.....

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:21:52
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 12:04:02 (permalink)
quote:
Nancy-
I know, this is taking forever. Hopefully, this report will be done by the weekend.

No no, that is not a complaint. I was just going to be ashamed if you'd squeezed this many places into your usual weekend.

I think pimento cheese goes so nicely with lettuce & tomato because those are all the pieces (save onion) you normally put on a cheeseburger, just in a different configuration. So what was bad exactly about the slugburger? It kinda looks like a pork cutlet.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 12:07:58 (permalink)
Oh, Nancy, I know you weren't complaining, but I am. I should have had this thing wrapped up days ago. I blame Travelin Man for luring me to Florida with promises of Cuban food and a great steak!

Good theory about the lettuce and tomato on the pimiento. That works for me.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 12:31:43 (permalink)
quote:

I blame Travelin Man for luring me to Florida with promises of Cuban food and a great steak!

I admit it. It's my fault.

That said, said promises were delivered. I am sorry, though, that you missed out on the quality provisions from The Jerk Hut. A day later, the chicken was still good, but the plantains were better at the other place. The story probably still tops the food...but, the food comes in a close second.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 12:34:03 (permalink)
You're the king, Buffetbuster. I keep coming back to this thread and discovering, "Oh, there's MORE?" And you're not done yet!

So tell us more about the slug burger.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 13:06:39 (permalink)
Nancy & MiamiDon-
Like a herd of screaming turtles, this thing is ever so slowly lurching towards the finish line.

As for the slugburgers, I walked into Borroum's thinking that it was a burger, as in beef, just with a twist. What I didn't realize was the twist was no beef at all. The expectations at least added to my dislike of the slugburger. The fact that there was very little meat taste to it didn't help.

A place called White Trolley in Corinth also serves slugburgers.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 14:38:03 (permalink)
quote:

Paul-
I have since learned that Shipley donuts are out of Houston, so it is no surprise that they hall kolaches or kolache type rolls available. They are all over Mississippi and the locals seem to love them, so they are obviously doing something right.

Bruce & Sue-
Thanks for the link. This is apparently a bigger deal that I had first thought.

Nancy-

Al-
Glad to hear that Big Doe gave you a call and that he will be there the night we are getting together.

BB: according to their web site if it is current, Shipely's still have 90 locations around Houston. It seemed strange to me as they were always packed until around 4-5PM.

http://www.shipleydonuts.ws/locations.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: My head's in Mississippi 2008/12/17 14:44:44 (permalink)
Friday December 5, 2008 cont.

My first stop once I crossed into Tennessee was the Shiloh Civil War battlefield. No need to bore you with more civil war monuments. Well, okay, maybe one more.

Like many other similar places, they have a short film at the visitor's center describing the battle. Here at Shiloh, the film is one that was obviously shot in the 1950s. It had terrible production values and even worse acting. But the really distracting, disturbing item was General Grant's beard. It seemed the actor had nothing more than black electrical tape all over his face. I couldn't help but laugh everytime him and his beard came on screen.

Dinner was at Pickwick Catfish Farm, outside of Counce and near the Pickwick Dam. I'm sure they have a farm nearby, but all I saw was the restaurant.

There are practically no photos that the inclusion of a dog doesn't make better. In fact, this one is actually my second favorite photo from the trip:

He seems to be waiting so patiently for the restaurant to open. More patiently than me. The restaurant doesn't open until 5:00PM and I got there about 4:15PM. Where was Mr. Plan Ahead when I need him? This gave me some time to look over the menu board.

About 15 minutes 'til, they told me to come on in and wait there. The people here were extremely nice! Of course, I went for the fried catfish and this turned out to be the best catfish on the trip.

Hushpuppies, fried okra and corn on the cob were my sides.

The owner spent a lot of time chatting with me at my table. He told me their most popular item is the smoked catfish and had someone bring one out for me to see.

Apparently, they ship a lot of these out to customers. It sure did look good.

The inside is delightfully run down in a Roadfood sort of way. Very atmospheric. There is a family poster on the wall, which is a take off of On Golden Pond that I thought was clever.

http://www.pickwickcatfishfarm.com/

Tired, I headed for my hotel in New Albany, MS. Upon checking in, I asked the woman at the front desk if we were close to Westside Bar-B-Que. She told me they were right down the street, but she didn't think much of their food. Not a good sign.

After resting a few minutes, I took off for the restaurant.

While this place is a barbecue parlor, they are best known for their desserts.

I got my order and took it back to my room. First, I tried the pork sandwich.

Two bites into this dried out sandwich and I gave up. Next, was the chocolate pie.

Light, airy meringue, dense fudgy filling, this was an excellent slice of pie. Still, it was no match for the world class piece of banana cake that was next.

I should have taken more photos of this at a better angle, but it disappeared in miliseconds. This piece of cake was Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen (in Louisville, KY) great! A perfect ending to a busy eating day.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 18:22:40
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1