The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me..

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Thu, 03/6/08 6:03 AM (permalink)
But I found out about it. I just don't know when it is. A few days ago he had a strange phone call on his cell phone while we were having lunch together that he cut short. It was a suspicious sounding phone call and I questioned him about it. I thought it was this person that I didn't like because it sounded like he didn't want to talk to that person in front of me. He didn't want to tell me, so I told him he didn't have to tell me. He was afraid I was getting mad so he spilled the beans that he was planning a surprise party and left it at that. I still don't know who it was on the phone, but probably our office girl. After lunch, back at the office, he walked to another room to take a phone call while I was there.

Then tonight he got a text message. He was too busy playing his game on the internet so I checked it for him without him knowing. Usually our office girl calls to tell us she can't come in to work or will show up late. It was from our office girl, but she was asking when my party was and mentioned the location of the restaurant.

I don't know who all is invited but I recall him asking me who all my girlfriends names were a couple weeks ago.

So now what do I do? Do I act surprised in front of everyone? Do I let on that I know? I was totally surprised when he had a party for my 40th & 45th. Not this time!

My birthday is next week. When I get an invitation to eat at that restaurant, that is when I will know--as we hardly eat at that location. He will probably do it on a different day, not on my birthday.

I think I should turn the tables on him and surprise him instead. Any ideas on what I can do? He knows I know that he is planning one, he doesn't know that I found out the location. I still don't know the date though.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
    RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Thu, 03/6/08 7:05 AM (permalink)
    Wear something nice that night, act surprised, and tell him about 10 years from now that you knew about your birthday party.

Funny you should mention surprises because tomorrow I am kidnapping my husband for 24 hours and Roadfood.com is my excuse. I told him that I wanted to go to lunch at a certain restaurant that serves snapper soup to see if it's as good as it used to be since the thread on it came back up here last week. Instead of coming back home, we are going to a farmers'/flea market, seeing a movie at a tiny old restored theater that uses real butter on their popcorn, staying overnight at a small town hotel built in 1895, breakfast and then home. One of us 'kidnaps' the other every couple of years but never for a birthday, anniversary, etc. so it's really a surprise. You could do something like that when he'd least expect it.

offlady

RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Tue, 03/11/08 3:38 PM (permalink)
      OK, so my husband had planned this surprise birthday party for last night. I knew it was being planned, and I knew the location of the restaurant. I just didn't know that it was supposed to happen last night. We had just got back from spending a weekend in Honolulu and I unexpectedly came down with a bug. I was feeling rotten so I put on my PJ's, got in bed, and told the kids to do the laundry and cook their own dinner. Unfortunately, it was THE night of the "surprise" party. So my poor husband had to tell me that there were a bunch of my friends waiting for me at the restaurant, and that I had to get some clothes on and act surprised. I popped a couple extra-strength Tylenol and dragged myself out. He told the guests what happened. I did manage to eat and actually felt better after eating because I didn't eat all day. He said it was the worst birthday party he ever planned.

Mossman

• Total Posts: 40
        RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Tue, 03/11/08 4:00 PM (permalink)
        Just remind him of the GREAT time you had on your 40th and your 45th and that he shouldn't try to top them because they were such special times for you.
        I kinda worry why he couldn't pull it off again. Why is your guard up so much that you would even worry or be suspicious enough to check his meesages and pay attention to his calls???

Are you subconciously worried he's having an affair?

Just remember...some of the best times come from un-made plans.
        Sorry you ended up being sick, happy to hear you made the effort to go anyways...

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
          RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Tue, 03/11/08 5:06 PM (permalink)
          Whoa dude! Back it up with the David Caruso already.

Happy birthday offlady; it sounds like you had a good time despite some bad circumstances.

offlady

RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Tue, 03/11/08 9:38 PM (permalink)
            He was just bummed that it didn't turn out the way he wanted it to. He said he didn't plan a 50th party for me so he thought he'd do one for my 53rd and thought it would be an unexpected surprise.

We run our own business and work closely together. The only person that ever text messages my husband is our office girl. I yelled out at him about getting a text message but he was too busy playing his internet game on the computer. So I checked it because I figured our office girl had a question about something. Turns out I was right, she had a question, but she wanted to know what day the party at the restaurant for my birthday was. I still haven't told my husband that I saw the message.

This year my husband turns 50 and we are planning on having his family come out to visit. It wasn't going to be a surprise because he's been talking to his sister about it. They were originally planning to come out in November but now the sister told me they want to visit in September. They are even thinking of bringing their dad out too. That will be a big surprise. So now it will be my turn to plan the surprise. I think I will be better at keeping it hush from him than he can.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
              RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Tue, 03/11/08 10:11 PM (permalink)
              I had a 60th for my wife..She figured it out, but was a perfect actress. She eventually confessed to me a week later. Never told anyone else. I did the same thing at her 50th and that time she was surprised!

Be happy you have someone who cares enought about you to have a surprise party. Go with the program and enjoy.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Wed, 03/12/08 9:47 AM (permalink)
                He loves you and wants to make you happy.
                Act surprised, you can say you thought something was up and laugh and leave it at that, enjoy the party.

offlady

RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Thu, 03/13/08 1:28 AM (permalink)
                  OK, here's the deal. TODAY is my actual birthday. One of my girlfriends told me she wanted to take me out to lunch. I am still feeling sick and run down, and crawled in bed after doing a few errands. But she showed up at my doorstep around noon so I decided I should go. I popped Tylenol (again) and dragged myself out. She told me that my husband wanted to join us for lunch, and that he would be saving a table for us. When we got there, he was there alright, with about 4 more of my girlfriends who weren't at my other "surprise" dinner the other night. This time I WAS surprised.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Thu, 03/13/08 9:56 AM (permalink)
                    A second birthday outing? your husband is a giver, and sounds like a good man. From now on, when it's around your birthday time, I would be sure not to read his text messages, or answer his cell phone, or check his email, etc. Lay low, and let him surprise you.

offlady

RE: My husband is planning a "surprise" party for me.. Thu, 03/13/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
                      My husband told me last night that the second surprise party was actually the original party he had planned, so he did the first one a couple days earlier to "throw me off." I guess he did manage to surprise me after all. He's a good man and a good father and I thank God every day for bringing such a wonderful man into my life. And God knows there were many others that would have made my life a living hell!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com