My sandwich pet peeve

Author
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1859
2014/06/06 08:20:04 (permalink)

My sandwich pet peeve

OK.  I love a good pastrami sandwich, a corn beef sandwich.  But when I lay money down for my meal, I'm looking for a well composed sandwich.  The right amount of meat to bread combination with the rest of the fixings.  From todays sad spotlight -

THAT is exactly what I don't want.  I can get that anytime by going to the deli and getting a pound of pastrami and a loaf of rye.  Oh, hey, look.  I have a wad of meat and dry bread.  Let's call that a sandwich.  I can literally take 60% of that meat off and tell the server to take it back to the kitchen and dump it in the garbage, then I'll also go back there and start rooting around the pantry to find a few things to dress it up a little and make it proper.  My inner German/Jew is ashamed this is even a "thing".
post edited by WarToad - 2014/06/06 08:22:19

20 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5213
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 09:10:54 (permalink)
    Just think of it as a pile of meat with a couple of carbohydrate bookends to keep it from scattering all over the plate.

Although I do agree.  As much as I love corned beef and pastrami, part of the appeal of having it in a sandwich is the balance between it, the bread, and the Swiss cheese.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 10:14:15 (permalink)
    The beauty of the sandwich, and I do love a simple - pastrami, mustard, good rye - sandwich,  is that you can take half the meat off, request  a couple of extra slices of bread, take it home and recreate a great sandwich the next day :-)
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 10:17:27 (permalink)
    The other day I went to a TooJay's deli ... ordered a Ruben and when it came out, instead of layers, the contents were literally rolled up and put between the bread.  I realized the 'layer-age' is an important element to a sandwich (If I ordered a chessebuger w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. I wonder if they'd have rolled that too?  Of course not!)

It reminded me of the condiments on top or under  the hot dog discussions.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1634
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 10:28:04 (permalink)
    In a similar vein, I'm getting sick of the escalating burger size. I want a good quality 5-6 oz. size and I really don't want or need an 8, 10 oz. or larger one. A burger doesn't reheat very well.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 10:33:35 (permalink)
    I don't really understand why you would list this as a peeve. Some delis serve their sandwiches loaded up with massive amounts of meats and it's probably because that's the way their customer base likes them. Customers who don't like the piled-high sandwiches probably don't order them, opting for something else instead, or maybe they make a special request to limit the meat on the sandwich.

It's a simple matter of excepting that we all like some things and dislike others. I'm sure there are certain sandwiches you don't like, but I doubt you would list them as a peeve.  If you simply don't order a piled-high pastrami/corned beef sandwich because you don't like how they build it, your peeve will magically disappear.
    jman
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 10:35:50 (permalink)
    cavandre

In a similar vein, I'm getting sick of the escalating burger size. I want a good quality 5-6 oz. size and I really don't want or need an 8, 10 oz. or larger one. A burger doesn't reheat very well.

I'd be upset too if someone was forcing me to go to a restaurant which served bigger burgers than I prefer.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4121
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 12:39:20 (permalink)
    jman

I don't really understand why you would list this as a peeve. Some delis serve their sandwiches loaded up with massive amounts of meats and it's probably because that's the way their customer base likes them. Customers who don't like the piled-high sandwiches probably don't order them, opting for something else instead, or maybe they make a special request to limit the meat on the sandwich.

It's a simple matter of excepting that we all like some things and dislike others. I'm sure there are certain sandwiches you don't like, but I doubt you would list them as a peeve.  If you simply don't order a piled-high pastrami/corned beef sandwich because you don't like how they build it, your peeve will magically disappear.

Jman, I've seen this argument before. From what I've seen, it is usually that the diners would prefer a smaller, but less expensive sandwich. A lot of delis don't leave you a size option. Sure, taking the rest home for a sandwich makes sense----if you are going straight home. But to pay $18 dollars for a sandwich, have half of it to take home and need to leave it in the car for 5 hours, it won't be very appetizing by the time you get to part two. 
    jman
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 12:51:15 (permalink)
    EdSails

jman

Jman, I've seen this argument before. From what I've seen, it is usually that the diners would prefer a smaller, but less expensive sandwich. A lot of delis don't leave you a size option. Sure, taking the rest home for a sandwich makes sense----if you are going straight home. But to pay $18 dollars for a sandwich, have half of it to take home and need to leave it in the car for 5 hours, it won't be very appetizing by the time you get to part two. 

I agree with every word you wrote. My point is that I would treat the situation the same way I would with ordering/not ordering a sandwich which I dislike.  I don't like head cheese or olive nut spread, so I don't order it. If I discover that someone makes a sandwich differently than what I prefer, I exercise my option to order something else. If a deli sees a piled-high sandwich as one of their signature sandwiches, and they refuse to offer a smaller version, I can either order something else or I can head for the door. It's my choice, but I don't feel that I need to be peeved about it.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 12:51:41 (permalink)
    TnTinCT

The beauty of the sandwich, and I do love a simple - pastrami, mustard, good rye - sandwich,  is that you can take half the meat off, request  a couple of extra slices of bread, take it home and recreate a great sandwich the next day :-)

Yep, this works just fine.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 13:35:12 (permalink)
    I do well, with the best local option, which is Jake's Deli. A big fresh sandwich. When I see the deli photos of about six to eight inches to meat with a slice of rye, I think it's funny and ridiculous. I mean why bother with the bread.. just give me a couple pounds of meat on a plate. Is it traditional or for the tourists? I could never cope with it at one sitting, no matter how good it was. I just can not eat all that at one time. I'd have to take the leftovers home or go somewhere where I could get a smaller sandwich.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/06 14:15:53 (permalink)

This is why I love Attmans  Deli in Baltimore......................a normal-size sandwich for a normal appetite at an affordable price.  If you can't finish the whole sandwich, you don't feel wasteful.
    post edited by Greymo - 2014/06/06 14:16:55
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/09 15:33:43 (permalink)
    EdSails

But to pay $18 dollars for a sandwich, have half of it to take home and need to leave it in the car for 5 hours, it won't be very appetizing by the time you get to part two. 

Or walk out of a deli in NYC, put the remainder of your sandwich in the glove box instead of the cooler sitting right on the back seat, then drive the 250 miles home and forget about it for a week. :p
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/09 15:53:27 (permalink)
    Pee-yoooooooo. Was this in the winter. Down here, a few hours most times of the year would be enough time for it to have made itself known. AAAARRRGGh. My sympathy..." />
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/10 04:10:55 (permalink)
    Hate it when the bread is dried out and the sandwich falls apart while you're eating it.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/10 10:21:15 (permalink)
    cavandre

Big burger don't bother me, so much. I'm a big boy! But places that find it so trendy to stab a steak knife thru the middle get a big thumbs down in my book.

jman
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/10 11:29:28 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Hate it when the bread is dried out and the sandwich falls apart while you're eating it.

Or, when the bread doesn't hold up to the sandwich and I have to finish it off with a knife and fork. For me, the type of bread is just about as important as what goes in the sandwich.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1859
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/10 22:26:04 (permalink)
    This is pretty  much what I'm saying.   The meat abolutely overwhelms the bread.  Or the bread is just ... 2nd best.   The meat overwhelms everything.  I'd love a $7 1/3 lbs pasrami Sami with sides.  I can eat that. I don't need a tower of pastrami.  If I'm looking to take home and fill my fridge for sammiches...  c'mon.  I can do better than getting a maxi-meal and putting it in my truck for 8 hours before I get home and calling that "saved".  I'll go to a deli and getin real deal and being home in 30 min.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/11 01:20:02 (permalink)
    My 17 year od Granddaughter started working at Jason's Deli today (Her 1st REAL Job!), so the Bride & I went there for dinner. We both had their Salad Bar, (Very Good Quality salad Bar) but observed some nice looking Sandwiches coming out.
    Hot Corned Beef or Hot Pastrami Sandwich
    1/2 pound of hot corned beef or pastrami.
    Your choice of bread, topped the way
    you like it.
    original $7.79/ lighter portion $6.29
    Not a bad price and they looked good!
    They also sell a half sandwich with soup or salad or fruit for $7.29 which would feed a normal person very nicely.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/11 01:20:03 (permalink)
    Our 17 year old Granddaughter started working at Jason's Deli today (Her 1st REAL Job!), so the Bride & I went there for dinner. We both had their Salad Bar, (Very Good Quality, Fresh Salad Bar) but observed some nice looking Sandwiches coming out.

1/2 pound of hot corned beef or pastrami.
    Your choice of bread, topped the way you like it.

Original $7.79
    Lighter portion $6.29
    Not a bad price and they looked good!
    They also sell a half sandwich with soup or salad or fruit for $7.29 which would feed a normal person very nicely.

http://www.jasonsdeli.com/

post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/11 01:30:03
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    Re:My sandwich pet peeve 2014/06/11 11:42:18 (permalink)
    I like my local Jake's quite well.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1