Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My setup

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
  • Roadfood Insider
My setup Mon, 08/18/03 12:41 AM (permalink)
Well everyone seems to have their idea on a BBQGrill/whatever, so here is mine. I've been using a Kingsford branded oval kettle for about 12 years now. These same units are now sold as Patio Classic brand. The unit is a long oval in shape and I have found this to be very useful.

I use it for both grilling with direct heat and low&slow BBQ with indirect heat. I do several pork butts a year, 2 at a time and cook them for about 12 - 14 hours. I put about 15 Kingsford briquettes, on both sides and then fire up about 14 more in a chimney. When these are well lit I put half on each side to light off the others. Once I get both sides going well I will put on 2 or 3 chunks of well soaked hickory on both sides and then put on the butts.

Once I have the fire regulated to about 225 at the grill level I can go about 6 hours w/o opening the lid. I might make slight adjustments to the vents during this time but I don't always have to. I usually catch a nap. I use a Polder probe thermometer with the probe stuck through a potato on the cooking grill to monitor the temp at the cooking level. I try to average 225 and can come pretty darn close to that average.

I do brisket the same way, except I can only fit 1 large, fat on brisket at a time. I always buy the biggest brisket I can find.

After about 6 hours I add new briquettes that have been lit in my smokey joe and usually 2 more pieces of hickory chunks to each side, and finish cooking. If the meat is ready at about 12 hours I'm set. If not, I'll add a few more lit briquettes but not anymore hickory.

I will do ribs the same way but they go for 5 - 6 hours.

For grilling I pile the briquettes in front, light off a chimney full and when they are lit I'll dump them on top of the pile. Once they get going I spread them evenly over the fire grate and then put the cooking grate on. I let it get very hot then add the meat. I usually throw 1 or 2 chunks of hickory into the coals before adding the meat. Just a little extra smoky flavor.

My family and neighbors really enjoy my Q. I have 3 neighbors and they will get me to cook for them. If they want pulled pork the deal is that they bring 2 butts and a 6-pack. They get 1 butt back and we usually split the beer. If it is brisket they bring 1 brisket and the 6-pack. They get about 3/4th of the cooked brisket back and again we split the beer. For ribs, its 2 slabs and the usualy split. One neighbor that helps me out a lot usually gets freebies when I Q for the family. Our 2 families also like to grill together. They do the sides and I do the meat. The usual is ribeyes for the adults along with sausages, itialian, brats, or german and burgers or 'dogs for the kids. 4th of July though is always burgers and dogs and fireworks.

The wife, PickyPeggy, prefers "grilled" ribs. By grilled in this case I use direct heat but toned down to about 325. I cook the ribs for about 90 minutes to 2 hours. The last 20 minutes I will apply BBQ sauce. These aren't fall off the bone tender but we the family like them.

As to seasoning I use Pappy's seasoning from out of Fresno, Calif. It has salt, pepper and a whole lot of other stuff.

MikeS.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6200
    RE: My setup Mon, 08/18/03 3:29 AM (permalink)
    Hey Mike, when is the next BBQ? I'll bring a keg or two of whatever your favorite brew is! You don't need any pointers about BBQ'n but thanks for giving the rest of us some damn good info!

chilidawgguy

• Total Posts: 32
      RE: My setup Mon, 08/18/03 10:54 AM (permalink)
      Mike, from previous posts, I know you live near me....where do you get your fat on briskets?

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: My setup Mon, 08/18/03 2:21 PM (permalink)
        I use the Southern-produced Holland Grill (http://www.hollandgrill.com/) down here in Virginia with similar effect as detailed by Mike S. above. An excellent, indirect flame-way to cook just about anything! As the company rightfully states -- and as Mike refers to re. slow-cooking and rarely opening the grill's lid -- "if you're lookin', you're not cookin!"

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
          RE: My setup Mon, 08/18/03 4:00 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by I95

I use the Southern-produced Holland Grill (http://www.hollandgrill.com/) down here in Virginia with similar effect as detailed by Mike S. above. An excellent, indirect flame-way to cook just about anything! As the company rightfully states -- and as Mike refers to re. slow-cooking and rarely opening the grill's lid -- "if you're lookin', you're not cookin!"

I agree that the Holland (developed and manufactured by a guy in Apex, NC--a Raleigh suburb)is an excellent grill. It is strictly indirect heat.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: My setup Tue, 08/19/03 1:38 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by lleechef

Hey Mike, when is the next BBQ? I'll bring a keg or two of whatever your favorite brew is! You don't need any pointers about BBQ'n but thanks for giving the rest of us some damn good info!

Funny you should ask! I will be stopping at WallyWorld Tuesday morning for a couple butts. They'll be going on the Q Tuesday night. Since I work graveyard and have Tu & We night off I usually do my Q'ing then. I usually stay up till about 2am even on my nights off.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: My setup Tue, 08/19/03 1:45 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by lleechef

2nd reply... I don't drink that much beer at one time anymore to require a keg or 2. But I can kill a 6 pack if I have to. You know, one of those things: Jeee your Honor, but that old boy just needed killin I usually buy a case at Costco and it will last me about 2 months, maybe more. Unless my daughters get thirsty

So if ya bring me a 12 pack, I'm more then happy. Just bring enough to keep your whistle wet. We can fire up the DVD onto the big screen and watch movies while the Q does its thing. Which is what i usually do, watch movies, watch the Q some, drink some and then go to bed about 6am. Keeps me out of the wife's hair.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: My setup Tue, 08/19/03 2:11 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by chilidawgguy

Mike, from previous posts, I know you live near me....where do you get your fat on briskets?

From Wal-Mart. I usually get my briskets there, about 98 cents per pound and my pork butts or raw hams there. I buy my ribs and ribeye loins at Costco in Winchester. I slice the loins into steaks usually, wrap in foil then a ziploc and freeze. Sometimes I will smoke 1/2 the whole loin.

I used to buy more of my meats from Wally but then they went to pre-packed meats and they include a "solution" up to 12%. They didn't drop the prices any either for the extra water weight.

So now I buy most of my meat from Costco.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com