My thanks to Roadfood.com

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/03 19:11:42 (permalink)
Folks, I cannot tell you what this online "community" of ours has meant to me these past several months.

This particular period of my life has been very hectic, particularly professionally, as I have had to step up to the plate and be committed to "work" in ways I have never had to before. [The Cliff's Notes version: As the .75 part of a 1.75 Full Time Equiv department, I had to take over the whole deal and manage all sorts of change and solve all sorts of problems when the 1 of the 1.75 became combative, abusive, and dishonest in how he did his job. I emerged unscathed and well-valued and -compensated but....WHEW!]

Anyway, during this time, the Roadfood.com community has been an anchor for my intellectual and social life. Really, besides my wife and son, my co-workers, and my Parish, I can't think of any other group of people that have helped me keep my chin up and a smile on my face more than you folks.

Roadfood is a touchstone for my family. It's about how we travel, how we eat at home, how we live, and what we value. You folks are treasured members of our extended community -- from Michael and Jane, the Rushmores (those mountains of web wisdom [sorry; somebody had to say it]), to Al, Bushie, Sundancer, Elise, Redtressed, my fellow denizen of the Queen City of the West TJJackson, Ort, and all the rest. This site has taken a group of people who had nothing more than a commitment to food, "Stern Style", and a love of those great Stern Books and turned that group into a fractious, well fed, slightly perverse Family.

In this new year, I wish you 'Q, I wish you fried chicken, I wish you grinders, I wish you deep-fried whatever, but mostly, I wish you peace.

Jack
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1034
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/03 19:49:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Thanks Michael, I definitely feel better now....I knew there had to be an explanation. Glad you included Modern which is my personal favorite except for the Pepe's white clam which is incomparable. Have you posted the results of the cold and reheated taste tests?

The results of the taste test appeared in a Gourmet Magazine story earlier in 2003, but the story was cut from the original, which was this (the only way I can figure to retain the formatting is to run the chart as a jpeg file. I hope it works...

New Haven: Pizza Capital of the World

The Mission: to evaluate the best pizzas made by the four leading pizzerias in New Haven: Modern Apizza, Pepe’s Pizzeria Napoletana, Sally’s Apizza, and The Spot. Each dates back to the 1930s and all cook on old, brick-floored ovens. Pizzas are served on battered metal trays with stacks of napkins.

The Operatives: trained eaters sent by www.roadfood.com: Steve Rushmore, Steve Rushmore, Jr., Cindy Kuechle, Marc Bruno, Jane & Michael Stern

The Timetable:
Wednesday
1:30pm: occupy a table at Modern Apizza, the only one open for lunch
3:00pm: cleanse palates at Louis Lunch, home of the hamburger
4:00pm: be at the front door of Pepe’s Pizzeria Napoletana the moment it opens, before the line of waiting customers gets impossibly long
5:15 – 5:25pm: power-walk three blocks to Sally’s Apizza, Pepe’s primary Wooster Street competitor
7:00pm: final round of pizzas at The Spot, once a rival of Pepe’s, now a Pepe’s protectorate
Thursday
3:00 – 6am: sample cold leftovers at home while standing at open refrigerator door wearing bathrobe
12 noon: reheat leftover slices for final evaluation

The Method: consume most of three large pizzas at each place: [1] basic tomato and cheese, [2] white clam (New Haven’s tour de force of clams, garlic, oil, and spice without mozzarella or tomato sauce), [3] Italian bomb (all available meats, including sausage, pepperoni, bacon, salami, plus onions with cheese and tomato sauce). Take home enough slices for next-day assessment

The Results:

Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/05 09:36:33 (permalink)
I'm coming in a little late on this topic, but I want to echo the sentiments expressed. It's been lots of fun, and I've made a few new genuine friends.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/05 09:48:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

I'm coming in a little late on this topic, but I want to echo the sentiments expressed. It's been lots of fun, and I've made a few new genuine friends.

Hey Bushie, welcome back to the boards. How've you been? What have you been up to? Happy New Year!!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/05 09:51:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Hey Bushie, welcome back to the boards. How've you been? What have you been up to? Happy New Year!!

Just took a few days off from work and the computer. It's been nice. Thanks, buddy!
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/05 11:30:12 (permalink)
I have had so much fun visiting this site during my work day - the refreshing chatter and interesting topics about a subject so near and dear to us relieves the MEGO (my-eyes-glaze-over) periods I get from my work.

I have tried many of the recipes shared, learned of new places to go, and learned lots of interesting facts about things such as lutefisk and scrapple.

Happy New Year and Happy Eating to y'all!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/06 19:35:14 (permalink)
Being my busy season, I haven't made it here as often lately as I wish. it's amazing how much you wind up missing not just the topics but the people here too. Happy New Year all and Roadfood Forever!
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/06 21:12:51 (permalink)
Lamertz doing her landlady thing in sunny Key West where,sadly ,there are no white clam pizzas and,even sadder,no real good pizza of any kind.
Happy New Year to everyone and thanks to all for a really fun website and a most friendly place to visit.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/06 21:29:06 (permalink)
Michael Stern and Stephen Rushmore: Great use of a spreadsheet program. Your notes are great!!
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/07 09:16:52 (permalink)
I have been taking my family on a variety of road trips for 20 years. By always consulting the Roadfood books on where to eat, we have had some memorable meals and a lot of fun along the way. This website has provided even more eating enjoyment.

My son, now 23, recently drove round trip from Chicago to Tampa with friends. We researched a number of stops along the way before he left. Unfortunately, either the timing did not coincide with the establishment's hours or his buddies just didn't want to go a little out of their way. They ended up eating some of the worst food he ever had (his words.)

The punch line: when he got home he told me that now he appreciates all the effort I have devoted to seeking out good meals and he looks forward to doing so in the future. So you see Roadfood contributors, all the work on your part and a little reading on my part made me into a hero.

Thanks.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/07 22:31:20 (permalink)
This site has become a member of our family. We can't even do a Sunday drive without consulting the reviews or the forums to make sure that we are not within 50 miles of some recommended joint. I too get more than I have given to this site -- so thanks to all - the Sterns who started it all and the merry band of Roadfoodies who populate this great site.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/08 09:42:53 (permalink)
We have been addicted to anything with the "ROADFOOD" connection since long before Al Gore convinced his senate colleagues to fund the research for the internet. My wife read a book review about the original "Roadfood" book, bought one, and we have carried that worn, dog eared version and the "Eating Your Way Across the USA" on our travels ever since.

We sometimes venture out on our own to find some place for an eating adventure, but we have been very pleased to use the suggestions from the books, from you guys in the forums and from the Roadfood web site to guide us. This connection has led us to some great experiences and saved us from having many "blah" meals.

And I intend to continue to seek out your advice and counsel as we travel around.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/08 09:58:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tsores

I have been taking my family on a variety of road trips for 20 years. By always consulting the Roadfood books on where to eat, we have had some memorable meals and a lot of fun along the way. This website has provided even more eating enjoyment.

My son, now 23, recently drove round trip from Chicago to Tampa with friends. We researched a number of stops along the way before he left. Unfortunately, either the timing did not coincide with the establishment's hours or his buddies just didn't want to go a little out of their way. They ended up eating some of the worst food he ever had (his words.)

The punch line: when he got home he told me that now he appreciates all the effort I have devoted to seeking out good meals and he looks forward to doing so in the future. So you see Roadfood contributors, all the work on your part and a little reading on my part made me into a hero.

Thanks.

What a nice sentiment, tsores. I can only hope that any of my young children come close to saying the same in the future.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/01/08 10:54:17 (permalink)
Tsores,
You have the beginnings of a Foodie Dynasty at your feet!! I hope that one of my clan develop the love of the road the way We have. I don't see it yet, but hopefully as they get into more than the 'survival' stage of life their thoughts will turn to our heritage and the 'romance of the road'.
I was introduced to Arthur Bryants by that early edition of ROADFOOD. The habits were already there, but this tool taught me how to organize our travel into a wonderful experience as we went....far beyond whatever the AAA Guides could do.

The structure of this website has helped me develop patience and understanding with those who have a different perspective than mine on many issues. That sounds very patronizing when I read it back...but I often would get into flaming wars with someone I disagreed with in a forum, or even in public. But working here has opened my eyes to the old axiom " there's more than one way to skin a cat" (oops sorry, PETA folks.) I am sure that we all have bouts of "How Dumb is that..." when we find a post that we really disagree with, but the mutual respect that is shown here is a great example that many in this world would be better to take at times of disagreement. Maybe the Roadfood thread will eventually contribute to world peace !!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/09/21 16:20:41 (permalink)
I read the first roadfood book maybe 10 years ago and thought it was fascinating. I only wish I had come up with the idea myself.
I only recently discovered this website a few months ago and I must say it has enhanced my love of travel and helped me to remember many places I have visited in the past. It has definitely expanded my horizons in many ways.

carl reitz
Emilyparis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: My thanks to Roadfood.com 2004/09/21 16:40:55 (permalink)
And a big amen to you all, from those of us who live far away and get such major vicarious thrills and such pleasant happy memories from all your adventures.

Good food and the love thereof, bless you!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1