NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/07/10 23:46:43 (permalink)

NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick

First off, GO Mr. Stewart and take that #20 Car to the Championships for the third time!

But some recent news has me geeked also! Juan Montoya announced yesterday he will be racing the Nextel Series starting next year. He may also race a few Busch races this fall after the Indy Car series is over...

Then on tonights news, Danica Patrick may be joing NASCAR also! Wow, Some of the greatest drivers stepping into the redneck circuit... (Less pay, but probably much more fun).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2006-07-10-new-look_x.htm?csp=34

14 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 05:30:26 (permalink)
    I don't know about the less pay part. The endorsement money alone with NASCAR is more than what they make on the Indy circut. I can't think of any drivers that have made that transition succesfully. Chow Jim
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 06:09:23 (permalink)
    call me old fashioned but i still think of NASCAR as "the good ole BOYS" i don't know about a woman there.. although i would guess if anyone could do it-- danica could.. just don't know--- :)

as for montoya-- where is he originally from? thinking back to when INDY car split (think it was around 95/96) and my first husband and i became NASCAR fans it was because INDY became too international and we couldn't pronounce the names of the drivers- as there were many from everywhere else-- turning us to the 'good ole boys of -- at the time-- winston cup'.. just don't know...
    will still watch though...

~~jerseygirl~~
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 08:49:33 (permalink)
    NASCAR is one of the biggest marketing machines in American sports. If Ms. Patrick has the ability to race there(and I think she does), she should make the move. More endorsements, more exposure, more money. It is a no-brainer to me.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 08:51:23 (permalink)
    Juan Pablo is a former CART champion, and Indy 500 winner, he has campaigned in F1 with the Williams team and McLaren and won seven races there. He is a charming, witty guy and fiercely competetive. You may remember he swapped cars with Jeff Gordon a couple years back in a PR event at the Indy road course. I expect he will be taking a pay cut, but then he's driving for Mercedes in F1 and they own Dodge, so mayber they are picking up the tab.

As a race fan and I will watch JPM's efforts in nascar with interest. I'm quite sure he will no longer be referred to as Juan Pablo, expect it to be shortend to Juan. I also expect he will not make the transition to nascar well. Nascar is all about patience. Its more like endurance racing. The races are long and you spend 75% of the race taking care of equipment and staying in touch with the leaders. The last 50 laps are where the fun begins. JPM is used to races in the vicinity of 65 to 70 laps of all out blistering speed.

Nascar drivers have also had a history of showing in-coming road racers the chrome horn early in the race, putting them into the wall and out of contention.It will be interesting to say the least. It won't get me to watch the oval races, but I'll be reading about it none the less.

Danica, well thats another story. I think her father is following the money and the France family looks at her and sees money. IMO I don't think she is really interested in nascar.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 11:00:58 (permalink)
    There have been a couple of drivers who raced indy/cart and nascar, I think it was tony stewart who ran both in a weekend a couple years ago, but I may be wrong. Mario, Dan Guerny, AJ foyt Im sure a search would find others... if Danica decides to run in the largest sport venue I'll be right there rooting her on (as long as she doesn't join the hendricks stable)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6410
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/11 21:42:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I don't know about the less pay part. The endorsement money alone with NASCAR is more than what they make on the Indy circut. I can't think of any drivers that have made that transition succesfully. Chow Jim

er two words...TONY STEWART. Jeff Gordon and Kasey Kahne started out in open wheel as well. Times are a changing.

As for Montoya he may surprise. He does not back down and I think he will fit in nicely on the ovals as he proved at the Indy 500. In fact I think Montoya's lack of success was his aggressive style did not fit well with the nancy metrosexuals in F1 that called him unsportsmanlike because of his daring passes. He might enjoy banging fenders without destroying millions of dollars of race car with simple nudges.

Danica Patrick is not going to NASCAR. She said so and was surprised by her father. The latest rumor is she will be moving to Andretti Green Racing in the IRL next year. Her goal is to win the Indy 500.

I enjoy all racing but I think the Indy drivers going open wheel 40-50 mph faster than NASCAR on the same tracks are the most gifted athletically as a bunch. In fact the one that may prove that eventually in NASCAR may be Sam Hornish Jr. He could prove to be better than Tony Stewart.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/12 06:33:59 (permalink)
    I'm a passive fan of auto raceing, mostly NASCAR. In my observation of the sport open wheel and Indy raceing are totaly different. I could see where a driver could go from Cart to NASCAR much easier than Indy to stock car. The style and competition of NASCAR is far greater than Indy raceing, jmho. Now if they had pari-mutual wagering on this sport I'd be a huge fan. Chow Jim
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/12 08:00:33 (permalink)
    Jimeats,

There is no CART anymore. It is Champ Car now renewed from the bankruptcy of CART and that series runs almost all road race and street courses nothing like NASCAR and all the drivers are foreigners with the exception of AJ Allmindenger. IRL is Indianapolis and many of the ovals NASCAR runs on. They only run a couple of road courses same as NASCAR. Like I said, Tony Stewart raced at the Indianapolis 500 in open wheel long before he stepped into a NASCAR car.

Robby Gordon is pretty good as well but has never had a good car or team. He too is a former Indy driver. When he does get on a road course his driving performance leap frogs most of the NASCAR guys even with his inferior equipment. Of course former open wheelers Stewart and Jeff Gordon shine on the roads. That may be where Montoya wins his first NASCAR race.
    Cosmos
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/12 09:07:18 (permalink)
    Juan Pablo will be surprised at the level of competition on the road courses. When nascar first came to Watkins Glen it was a hilarious joke...herding those overweight, under braked pigs around the short course... They shared the weekend with the Tran-Am series, which smoked them in lap times. Trans-Am guys got a lot of rides and were competitive but did not win. I know that race circumstances have been manipulated to make sure that didn't happen(not a fix, for sure, but well timed full course cautions...).

Anyway former Trans-Am regulars Ron Fellows and Boris Said have come as close as anyone will let a 'road course ringer' win a race. In the mean time the nascar regulars have gone to school and become good road racers in their own-right.

Road racing is definitely a skill, but understanding how to guide a cup car, with its inherent flaws, home is also a skill JPM will need to learn. Then of course he has to avoid being bumped off course by his new buddies...and watch out for those suspicious caution flags....
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/12 11:14:03 (permalink)
    Bring him on down. They'll get him a McMansion on Lake Norman, drop last years race engine in a boat, and get him a membership at the Speedway Club.

I live just down the road from Dale Earnhardt's Garage Mahal, see below.

http://www.racingontherocks.com/images/Mooresville/J9.JPG.

Sixty Nascar teams are in the area around my house...used race tires are great for raising potatoes. The local bbq place usually has three to six race teams in for lunch each day.

Still boring as watching grass grow for me. Nothing but left turns except for a few road courses. And w/ the new fuel cells...even worse.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/12 21:36:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CosmosAnyway former Trans-Am regulars Ron Fellows and Boris Said have come as close as anyone will let a 'road course ringer' win a race. In the mean time the nascar regulars have gone to school and become good road racers in their own-right.

Said and Fellows are not in the same league as Montoya. The open wheel graduates, Stewart and Jeff Gordon pretty much dominate the road courses despite the improvement by the others.
    Cosmos
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/13 08:12:31 (permalink)
    [quoteSaid and Fellows are not in the same league as Montoya.
    In an F1 car...no...in a stocker on a road course...? For the time being, I'd say they will have something to teach JPM about guiding those tubs around a road course...I do expect he'll be fast, but he has a lot to learn...
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/15 10:40:51 (permalink)
    Good topic ,

As an avid fan of NASCAR and the business end of the sport , I can tell you that Danica will make much more in salary and endorsements going to race in NASCAR than she would any other .

The hesitation on her part is the fact that the racers are performing 36 weekends a year and have promotional appearances during the week.

The season starts in Feb and does not end until November . Also the testing that is done in January and all the apearances leading up to the season in January.

Pretty much December is the down time for these athletes.

I would welcome her to the sport but if she does not get signed to Rousch or Hendrick or DEI , do not see her ever getting in the " Chase"

By the way GO BOBBY LABONTE #43

Benzee
    Cosmos
    RE: NASCAR - Montoya/Patrick 2006/07/17 13:05:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benzee

Good topic ,

As an avid fan of NASCAR and the business end of the sport , I can tell you that Danica will make much more in salary and endorsements going to race in NASCAR than she would any other .

The hesitation on her part is the fact that the racers are performing 36 weekends a year and have promotional appearances during the week.

The season starts in Feb and does not end until November . Also the testing that is done in January and all the apearances leading up to the season in January.

Pretty much December is the down time for these athletes.

I would welcome her to the sport but if she does not get signed to Rousch or Hendrick or DEI , do not see her ever getting in the " Chase"

By the way GO BOBBY LABONTE #43

Benzee

The reality is, Danica is not so great at PR. She constantly looks bothered by being bothered (and I don't blame her). The NASCAR PR machine would probabaly wear her down to a little nub of a human being.

There are reports (read: rumors)today she may be signed by AGR racing (Michael Andretti's IndyCar team). If true one would suspect Honda and Tony George (IRL Owner) have ponied up to keep her smiling in an IndyCar...Good going dad!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1