NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/16 09:52:37 (permalink)
I am a big fan of vinegar based Q, seein' as I was raised on it. We had red slaw in the school cafeteria when I was a kid. I make my own sauce, much like the ones posted here, but I add a lemon slice and no sugar. Too gooey.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/16 22:47:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear
The reason why most NC BBQ Joints dont serve Ribs is because they are reserved for the Cooks.Really.And another reason is that after 8 or more hours on the Pit the ribs can be a little dried out and they are not as meaty.

Where did you read, hear or come up with that?
Jack
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/17 14:32:54 (permalink)
Here is my recipe. Simple but people seem to love it, I'm not sure even where I got the recipe from....I seem to remember it coming from a waitress at Willy's. A little place just outside of Colonial Beach, Va. As you can see it does have a slight amount of Brown Sugar in it.

CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE

1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Tabasco or Franks
1 Teaspoon Salt (table salt)
1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Mix everything together in a bottle. Let it sit for at least two days before using, good at room temp for up to 3 months.
droberts621
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/17 19:57:02 (permalink)
Anybody agree or disagree w/ the fact that vinegar will continue to cook the meat (in it's own way) if mixed for any period of time. I don't cook whole hog for resturant service but if I did, I bet you that meat is tougher and drier 2 hours after that whole hog has been chopped and mixed w. vinegar. I do serve N.C. style vinegar sauce but all meat comes sauce on the side.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/18 12:52:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

I like vinegar on Pork, I like it more on french fries.

I dont like it on pork, like it on Fries, and love it on Brocolli and Greens!
Rather taste the meat than the sauce. Gimme nekked Q with a dipping side of sauce. Let me handle the saucing of my meat!
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/18 20:16:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by droberts621

Anybody agree or disagree w/ the fact that vinegar will continue to cook the meat (in it's own way) if mixed for any period of time. I don't cook whole hog for resturant service but if I did, I bet you that meat is tougher and drier 2 hours after that whole hog has been chopped and mixed w. vinegar. I do serve N.C. style vinegar sauce but all meat comes sauce on the side.

I never thought of it like that, but you could be right. It would be the same principle as ceviche, where the acidic lime juice cooks the fish.
wingmanBBF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/18 22:02:34 (permalink)
Just a newbie here but it's also been my experience that the Eastern NC que has no sugar mixed with the vinegar.
However, the chopped,(no mayo)slaw that's so delicios when added to the sandwich or, as my dad called it, pepper cabbage, does have a significant amoune of sugar, adding up to a sweet and sour taste in the sandwich.
I love vinegar sauce but my favorite has always been low country yellow sauce. I still buy gallons by the case from Tom Bessingers(SP?), Maurice's brother. I could just never get used to Maurices mixing que with politics.
When I grill pork chops I use a basting sauce of vinegar, crushed pepper flakes and butter that just brings out the taste of the pork in a subtle and beautiful way...also very quick and easy to heat up.
I'm now on the edge of diabetes myself and have decided to start making my own version of Tom's with an artifical sweetener. i don't baste in the smoker so I don't have to worry about carmelizing...just a dipping sauce. I tried a simple book recipe and it came out real close so I'll go back to it without the sugar.
This is a great site.
Thanks all for welcoming a newbie.

WingmanBBF
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/19 22:35:14 (permalink)
Welcome, Wingman.

I myself have eaten the NC Q and while it doesn't appeal to me I can appreciate that others do. I've just not acquired the taste. I still eat it whenever I'm in NC.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/21 21:17:41 (permalink)
Leave it and keep it far away. There's no place for the overpowering properties of vinegar(s) in my BBQ world.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1851
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/24 12:14:08 (permalink)
I've never had the opportunity to try a real vinagar based Q. I grew up in Iowa which if you could find Q, it was usually KC-style pork ribs.(And more often than not, there was a lot of "grilling" passed off as "BBQ") Here in Seattle, it's a split between Texas style, or KC style. I've yet to run into a NC Vinegar Q. Love to give it a try though.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6880
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/24 13:28:50 (permalink)
I LOVE vinegar based Q!! This is not surprising since I prefer savory/tart to anything sweet. When I was chef at the Black Cow Tap & Grill in Hamilton, MA I put a pulled pork sandwich with NC BBQ sauce on the lunch menu. Seemed like I was cooking 4 pork shoulders and making 4 gal. of sauce nearly every day. They loved it and me too!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/24 15:06:54 (permalink)
I am not a fan of the vinegar based BBQ sauce of NC. I have tried it many times. From a personal point of view, I prefer a sweeter thicker sauce.

I still stop in NC for BBQ every time I travel through the area particualy in Greensboro, NC at Stameys. The place is always packed and I enjoy their BBQ although it is not my favorite. In addition, their hushpuppies are not what I familar with.

http://www.stameys.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

surrys
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/28 11:07:44 (permalink)

Eastern NC BBQ shouldn't be overpoweringly vinegary, just tart. There's a real focus on the meat out there, the sauce is really just a complement (the perfect complement) to some slow-cooked pig. Places like Parker's or Bill's in Wilson will typically have a bottle of their red-pepper-and-vinegar sauce on the table for those who want a little extra bite (along with some texas pete hot sauce), but it's not really needed. My family's from Eastern NC, near Greenville, so I'm understandably biased, but what they serve out there really is BBQ's platonic ideal: everything you need, nothing that you don't.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/28 11:11:54 (permalink)
Sundancer7 - I always wanted to try Stamey's and the Skylite Inn, too. Could you tell us a bit more about Stamey's? What's the "Q" like? Is it whole hog? What's different about their hush puppies? Wilbur's in Goldsboro makes fantastic hush puppies. Not crazy about their "Q" though.

One of the posters said that the reason nobody serves ribs in Eastern NC is that the kitchen help gets them? I think he was kidding, but who knows? If they do whole hog, do they just chop up all the meat including the rib meat?

I know at Bub Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC. they serve the whole hog ribs separately from the outside dark meat, inside light meat, the skin and the hash. I do not like the texture of whole hog ribs, but the taste is pretty good.

Actually, does anyone know if you can get ribs in Lexington, NC...Home of Western NC "Q" I don't think so. I think all they do on the west side of the state are smoke pork shoulders and butts and use a tomato based sauce.

Thanks for any info.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/28 13:06:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by surrys

Eastern NC BBQ shouldn't be overpoweringly vinegary, just tart. There's a real focus on the meat out there, the sauce is really just a complement (the perfect complement) to some slow-cooked pig. Places like Parker's or Bill's in Wilson will typically have a bottle of their red-pepper-and-vinegar sauce on the table for those who want a little extra bite (along with some texas pete hot sauce), but it's not really needed. My family's from Eastern NC, near Greenville, so I'm understandably biased, but what they serve out there really is BBQ's platonic ideal: everything you need, nothing that you don't.

surry's speaks the truth. Eastern Carolina Q is seasoned with
the vinegar sauce, not coated in thick red sauce that covers up
the flavor of the meat. This is why everyone raves about North
Carolina bbq...it's the smoked meat.
Maybe folks could understand it better if eastern style sauce was
called seasoning instead of sauce.

Not trying to start a war with KC, Memphis or Texas, but I think
those places are actually known for their sauces, not their meat.
Of course, those who claim to be in the know also say good bbq needs
no sauce.

Jim in NC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2008/03/28 13:15:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Sundancer7 - I always wanted to try Stamey's and the Skylite Inn, too. Could you tell us a bit more about Stamey's? What's the "Q" like? Is it whole hog? What's different about their hush puppies? Wilbur's in Goldsboro makes fantastic hush puppies. Not crazy about their "Q" though.

One of the posters said that the reason nobody serves ribs in Eastern NC is that the kitchen help gets them? I think he was kidding, but who knows? If they do whole hog, do they just chop up all the meat including the rib meat?

I know at Bub Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC. they serve the whole hog ribs separately from the outside dark meat, inside light meat, the skin and the hash. I do not like the texture of whole hog ribs, but the taste is pretty good.

Actually, does anyone know if you can get ribs in Lexington, NC...Home of Western NC "Q" I don't think so. I think all they do on the west side of the state are smoke pork shoulders and butts and use a tomato based sauce.

Thanks for any info.

I grew up in Greensboro with Stamey's, Bob Petty's, Lambert's, Turner's and King's. Stamey's is Lexington-style, meaning it is whole shoulders not whole hog, the sauce has a bit of tomato product in it and the slaw is made with the barbecue sauce or dip. Stamey's uses a chopper for their chopped barbecue and the texture is much like that of many eastern-style barbecue joints. Shoulders are richer than whole hog meat, eliminating the need to chop fat and skin into the barbecue like they do at The Skylight Inn. Stamey's hushpuppies are about the size and shape of your thumb giving them a high outside-crunch ratio to the cornbread inside. They use very little, if any sugar in them.

Ideally, barbecue is served hot off the pit (wood cooked) and needs no sauce. Vinegar cuts the richness of the fattier meat and salt accents the flavor of the pork. Little else is required for a pig pickin'.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? 2010/12/31 03:48:05 (permalink)
I don't think I've had any sugar in that style bbq, either.  If I had, I would have left it on the table.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1