Hot!NEW INFO - Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - APRIL 12, 2014

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 23
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5406
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 13:00:26 (permalink)
I just booked a room here for 2 nights, Friday and Saturday. 72 a night + taxes.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 13:02:32 (permalink)
Quality suites in blue ash.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 13:11:37 (permalink)
The other important question is, when is everybody coming in, and how long are we staying?

We could potentially arrive late Thursday and depart Sunday evening, giving us a full day on either side of the tour for non-chili related exploration.

So, who else is coming in early or leaving late, and is interested in some extracurricular activity?

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2882
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 13:18:09 (permalink)
I am departing Chicago early Wednesday morning with a stop or two along the way...residing in Blue Ash for four wonderful, fun-filled evenings! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7666
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 13:53:26 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I am departing Chicago early Wednesday morning with a stop or two along the way...residing in Blue Ash for four wonderful, fun-filled evenings! 

Please pick up the following on the way down
  • A couple of pies from Burts
  • A couple of Italian Beefs hot and sweet from Johnnies
  • A few dogs dragged through the garden along with some merkt's cheddar cheese fries from  Poochie's
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 14:05:55 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner I am departing Chicago early Wednesday morning with a stop or two along the way...residing in Blue Ash for four wonderful, fun-filled evenings! 
Do you have specific plans for the pre-tour days or are you looking to do some exploring?  If we drive down on Thursday, would you be interested in getting together for dinner that night and for some running around on Friday?

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10072
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 14:18:07 (permalink)
Buddy-
We don't have specific plans for Friday, although Terry's Turf Club will definitely be on the agenda.  Dinner Thursday night will be Pine Club in Dayton.  You are welcome to join us.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2882
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 14:35:40 (permalink)
What he said...
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2556
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 18:58:11 (permalink)
I don't mean to be the punchbowl turd, but would it make sense to break-up the crawl into 2 or 3 groups and hit the chili parlors in different rotations? We could have a big mid-day get-together at Jungle Jim's and another at a sit-down place for dinner. Doing it like this would ease the parking and dining bow-wave situations at the Greek Meat Sauce Emporiums. It would also give some of us a chance to minimize contact with our Roadfood nemeses.

Jim
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 19:34:56 (permalink)
JRPfeff

It would also give some of us a chance to minimize contact with our Roadfood nemeses.

Jim

And pray tell who would that be?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 19:44:53 (permalink)
wanderingjew

JRPfeff

It would also give some of us a chance to minimize contact with our Roadfood nemeses.

Jim

And pray tell who would that be?

Jim, being the sort of person he is, probably has many nemeses.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 19:46:44 (permalink)
Actually, I was thinking that there may be a certain member from Ohio who would like to distance herself from MH for the day.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 19:59:24 (permalink)
I think I may have just added to my nemeses list. " />
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/22 20:38:25 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Actually, I was thinking that there may be a certain member from Ohio who would like to distance herself from MH for the day.

You've been eavesdropping.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/24 08:35:23 (permalink)
Turns out this is going to be a week long "roadfood trip" for me....
After returning from my 5 day weekend Amtrak trip to DC with my Girlfriend on Monday evening, I'll return to work for a day, and then fly to Pittsburgh Tuesday evening
Wednesday I'm going to drive to Cleveland for a noon time Indians game then drive down to Newark OH to visit my (older) first cousin, Mona who is an attorney down there.....Thursday I'll drive back to Pittsburgh to begin my journey to Cinci with Buffetbuster
We'll be driving back to Pittsburgh on Sunday. Monday morning I'll drive up to Buffalo NY to catch a minor league Bisons game and then return to Pittsburgh on Tuesday and fly home.

***Incidentally there is going to be a Reds Game on Saturday in Cincinnati...schedule indicates that the time is TBD....if turns out to be an evening game and if anyone who "has wheels" is interested in going then let me know******
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/24 12:49:07 (permalink)
Ok...time off scheduled...room booked...prayers for good weather (so I can ride my bike there)....can hardly wait !
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 519
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/24 20:01:09 (permalink)
wanderingjew

After returning from my 5 day weekend Amtrak trip to DC with my Girlfriend on Monday evening, I'll return to work for a day, and then fly to Pittsburgh Tuesday evening
Wednesday I'm going to drive to Cleveland for a noon time Indians game then drive down to Newark OH to visit my (older) first cousin, Mona who is an attorney down there.....Thursday I'll drive back to Pittsburgh to begin my journey to Cinci with Buffetbuster
We'll be driving back to Pittsburgh on Sunday. Monday morning I'll drive up to Buffalo NY to catch a minor league Bisons game and then return to Pittsburgh on Tuesday and fly home.

***Incidentally there is going to be a Reds Game on Saturday in Cincinnati...schedule indicates that the time is TBD....if turns out to be an evening game and if anyone who "has wheels" is interested in going then let me know******

They could make it a day game for national TV, but I can't see why they would do that...neither Tampa nor Cincinnati is a big market, they're not even in the same league. It's likely it would be a night game, which would start at 7:10.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/24 22:54:16 (permalink)
If it's the first home Saturday of the season it could potentially be an afternoon start circa 1pm.  It seems like a lot of teams do that, especially if it's the first weekend of the season.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/25 00:13:15 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Lleechef?

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/25 01:58:37 (permalink)
For shame Mike. We don't name names here.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/25 07:44:51 (permalink)
Bonk

wanderingjew

They could make it a day game for national TV, but I can't see why they would do that...neither Tampa nor Cincinnati is a big market, they're not even in the same league. It's likely it would be a night game, which would start at 7:10.

ScreamingChicken 

If it's the first home Saturday of the season it could potentially be an afternoon start circa 1pm.  It seems like a lot of teams do that, especially if it's the first weekend of the season. 

Two weekends in a row I would have the potential  opportunity to check out a couple of games (The Nationals will be in DC for for their opening weekend  the weekend before but I won't be able to go because I'll be with my girlfriend)  I hope it's an evening game in Cinci and that someone will want to go.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 15:43:42 (permalink)
MH's nemesis has already said he has plans and will be unable to attend.  (I still think he is make believe, all this time and I still have never met him)

JRPfeff - I have been talking to all those places I listed  and all have plenty of room and are willing to add the extra staffing to handle the rush.  I had to eliminate two places as they were just TOOOO small (17 seats and 21 seats)

I am trying to schedule eating around the peak hours, with either the tour of Graeter's Production Facility or the American Sign Museum.

I had been talking to Grippos about a tour of their production facility, but alas an email today stated that after checking with their insurance company... NO TOURS allowed.
nothing like a fresh potato chip fresh out of the fryer.

Sundancer - ALL of the chili parlors have non chili food stuffs, most have the other chili parlor traditions Double Decker Sandwiches (Fat Timmys aka Eastside Chili actually roast their own meat fresh daily for their sandwiches)  most also serve burger and fries and salads too.

CTD and Budreaux - I am up for almost anything food related or other wise, a visit to Zips is also one of those most stops.
Don't forget NKY and SEI, they both have some good eats
SEI fried chicken is yummy, not sure what NKY is known for but I am sure we can find something.

Also if you are here for Friday you could experience a local tradition called

FISH FRY FRIDAY!  Being the last Friday before Good Friday almost EVERY local parish will have their fish fry going strong. (God Bless them Catholic Folks)

GENERAL QUESTION TO THE GROUP

What do you all think about the Sunday Brunch at the revolving restaurant in Covington?
post edited by CajunKing - 2014/01/31 15:46:40
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 15:52:25 (permalink)
Bonk - Looking at the list the states of

RI
MA
PA
MD
WV
IN
OH
KY
IL
WI
KS
CA
NC
MO 
Are being represented

(I missed MO the first time I posted this list)
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 15:53:59 (permalink)
I still have emails out to another chili parlor (it was listed in the first list but not in the one with all the info about the places.)

and to Graeter's about the production facility tour
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 19:40:04 (permalink)
CajunKing

MH's nemesis has already said he has plans and will be unable to attend.  (I still think he is make believe, all this time and I still have never met him)

JRPfeff - I have been talking to all those places I listed  and all have plenty of room and are willing to add the extra staffing to handle the rush.  I had to eliminate two places as they were just TOOOO small (17 seats and 21 seats)

I am trying to schedule eating around the peak hours, with either the tour of Graeter's Production Facility or the American Sign Museum.

I had been talking to Grippos about a tour of their production facility, but alas an email today stated that after checking with their insurance company... NO TOURS allowed.
nothing like a fresh potato chip fresh out of the fryer.

Sundancer - ALL of the chili parlors have non chili food stuffs, most have the other chili parlor traditions Double Decker Sandwiches (Fat Timmys aka Eastside Chili actually roast their own meat fresh daily for their sandwiches)  most also serve burger and fries and salads too.

CTD and Budreaux - I am up for almost anything food related or other wise, a visit to Zips is also one of those most stops.
Don't forget NKY and SEI, they both have some good eats
SEI fried chicken is yummy, not sure what NKY is known for but I am sure we can find something.

Also if you are here for Friday you could experience a local tradition called

FISH FRY FRIDAY!  Being the last Friday before Good Friday almost EVERY local parish will have their fish fry going strong. (God Bless them Catholic Folks)

GENERAL QUESTION TO THE GROUP

What do you all think about the Sunday Brunch at the revolving restaurant in Covington?

A couple of thoughts on this...

-- I actually like the coneys at Fat Timmy's/Eastside Café, but TJ and a local friend of mine weren't thrilled. I do like their sandwiches. Don't get the wings.

-- Since it sounds like a few of you will be in town way earlier than the rest, a couple of suggestions: 
   Findlay Market (and if you do that, Chicago Gyros is just couple of miles away -- they have the best gyro in the city IMHO; the area is suspect though, pun intended).
   The Party Source (for those who like beer/liquor, it's a HUGE liquor store just over the river in NKY).
   The Hitching Post (about 8 miles east of downtown; the chicken is awesome, but this would only work for a smaller group)
   Eli's (same general area as The Hitching Post and same problem with seating for large groups)
   Mad Mike's (up-and-coming burger joint we've discussed that has six locations around the tri-state)

-- Zip's is good, I think Arthur's (a couple of miles away) is better, and Terry's is the best of all but has limited space.

-- My dad actually runs a fish fry on the northwest side of town (he's a former Grand Knight of the Knights of Columbus). I think their hours are 4-7 on Friday, and obviously they're a non-profit that donates a lot of money to the mentally retarded.

post edited by Bonk - 2014/01/31 19:43:10
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 20:28:07 (permalink)
We booked a suite at El Rancho Rankin. We got a really good rate. Anyone know anything about the place?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/31 20:56:19 (permalink)
JRPfeff

We booked a suite at El Rancho Rankin. We got a really good rate. Anyone know anything about the place?

I was fortunate enough to have been made an Ohio Colonel by the owner of El Rancho Rankin, Rankin Harrison. It was an honor bestowed upon me because, he said, no one living in Ohio should merely be an Admiral in West Virginia's Cherry River Navy. I have always enjoyed my stays at El Rancho Rankin. Be sure to take advantage of the free dinners offered each morning. Oh, and ignore the construction.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/02/01 18:02:33 (permalink)
JRPfeff

I'll bet you got a good rate. There's plenty of vacant lots in the strip mall that went there when it was torn down. You could probably stay in one of those.
post edited by Bonk - 2014/02/01 18:15:12
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/02/03 20:45:26 (permalink)
Terry's Turf club is now closed on Monday & Tuesday. They are open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Sunday.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/02/03 20:58:47 (permalink)
CajunKing, I bet if you contacted the Enquirer, and/or City Beat, a lot more restaurants may be willing to "open up' for the group. Publicity Rocks!!
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 23
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1