Hot!NEW INFO - Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - APRIL 12, 2014

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/01 19:34:16
Bonk

What date(s) are we looking at? Forgive me if I missed it but I looked back through the entire thread and can't find it.

FYI, Jungle Jim's does most of its sampling on Saturdays and Sundays late mornings/early afternoons and usually starts wrapping that up around 4. They give tours -- are you guys considering that? I'm not sure if there are added sampling benefits that go along with that.

Saturday April 12, 2014 for the crawl

Thinking early to mid afternoon for jungle jims and then on to eastside chili
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/02 08:15:32
CK-
Are you amazed as I am at how big this is turning out to be?  Especially, considering how few people participated in the previous chili tour.  This is definitely a good thing! 

And a few hours break in between is a great idea.  As much as I love Cincy chili, doing five or six in one day isn't the easiest thing to do, even with great ice cream stops in between.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/02 12:33:42
I'm reluctant to suggest this, but is anyone else thinking a bus rental might be a possibility?  there are 25 people on the confirmed list, and another 16 possibles.  That's a lot of cars parading around Cincy.

It might be worth looking into the cost of a rental with a driver to estimate the per person cost.

Buddy
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/05 18:21:05
Jungle Jim's Eastgate has more of a "flow". You might like it a little better than the "main" Jungle Jims. It is worth checking out.
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 00:21:46
Buddy,

I was going to mention the idea of renting a bus and a driver as well.  If most of the confirmed participants make it to Cincy, we might end up overwhelming these parking lots with our convoy of chili fans LOL! 

Another possibility is planning carpool groups in advance of the trip.  I'd prefer to be a passenger since I might end up sampling some brew during the crawl.  I will gladly cover the cost of gas and car rental. 

-Danny
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 12:59:19
If the bus idea proves to be impractical or too expensive, carpooling will be a must.  With the current confirmed head count of 25, we can probably all fit into six vehicles.  Add in the "possibles" and there's another three carloads.  That's still a lot of floats in our parade.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 13:02:17
Danny-
You early asked about riding along with me, so I have you penciled in there in my vehicle, along with Cousin Johnny and wanderingjew.  If ChiTownDiner ends up going to Cincy, then we will have five.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 13:25:24
buffetbuster

Danny-
You early asked about riding along with me, so I have you penciled in there in my vehicle, along with Cousin Johnny and wanderingjew.  If ChiTownDiner ends up going to Cincy, then we will have five.

Looking forward to meeting Chibears15, and of course everyone else who will be joining us on the tour that I haven't met yet and seeing old friends as well !!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 13:48:30
This is for WJ

It sounds like ya'all are going to the new Jungle Jims versus the original.  Assuming that is the indeed case, there is coffee specialty place you should probably check out that is only a couple of miles away from the new JJ's

http://www.urbanspoon.com...fee-Company-Cincinnati

I am recommending it on word of mouth from folks I trust, as I am not a coffee drinker.

It is a little hard to spot, so here's what to look for: the plaza it is part of is right at the intersection of Clough and Eight Mile Roads, and there is a Mio's Pizza on the corner of the plaza it is in
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/01/06 13:53:01
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 15:21:34
Oooo...gourmet coffee and gourmet pizza together in 1 location!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 15:32:04
well, hmm, I would not call Mio's gourmet, nor would I recommend it for a visit for this particular outing
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/01/06 15:33:11
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 15:42:04
We can take three people in our vehicle. And maybe one more who doesn't mind curling up in the cargo area where I carry dead deer.
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 15:53:41
I for one think the bus idea is great.
Cincinnati traffic routes have enough quirks in them for seasoned regulars, much less for
Out of towners who don't know the lay of the land, even with GPS's. These are some pretty
divergent areas you will be heading to.
And it will be the dreaded Road Construction Season by then !
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 18:43:47
We're available either as drivers or passengers.  If Mrs. Roadhouse makes the trip I can hold another two or three people.  if not, I can take as many as four others.

Buddy
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 19:26:54
If most of the confirmed participants show up, this will be a memorable Roadfood get together.  I just finished reading the entire trip report on the 2009 Cincy Chili Crawl and I was surprised by how few people showed up even though the food looked great.  A big thanks to CajunKing for the nice write up!  Hopefully this means that the Roadfood community is growing and we can do more of these larger get togethers in the future

Cliff: Thanks again for letting me ride with you guys!  What do you mean "if" CTD ends up going?!  CTD MUST go to Cincinnati with all of us!  Please convince him.

WJ:  I am looking forward to meeting you as well!  LOL I almost feel as if I already know you since I have read so many of your trip reports on this site. 

-Danny
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 19:38:18
Danny, CTD probably can't handle all the stops that are on the schedule. He's pretty much a wimp when it comes to being able to eat more than a couple of times a day.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 22:25:14
Ooh, poking the bear.  Fun.

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/06 23:25:12
Who, me?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 09:01:38
TJ Jackson

This is for WJ

It sounds like ya'all are going to the new Jungle Jims versus the original.  Assuming that is the indeed case, there is coffee specialty place you should probably check out that is only a couple of miles away from the new JJ's

http://www.urbanspoon.com...fee-Company-Cincinnati

I am recommending it on word of mouth from folks I trust, as I am not a coffee drinker.

It is a little hard to spot, so here's what to look for: the plaza it is part of is right at the intersection of Clough and Eight Mile Roads, and there is a Mio's Pizza on the corner of the plaza it is in

TJ

Thanks,  I will consider it, although it has only a few reviews on Yelp, etc, it looks promising.. I definitely want to give Coffee Emporium a try too- that's high on my priority list.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 09:41:39
WJ: no problem. 

Just throwing it out there, and if it doesn't make the cut, so be it
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 14:37:05
I have already been checking into the "bus" idea and am waiting for a return call from

http://www.cincinnatitrolley.com/home.html
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 14:38:26
BuddyRoadhouse

Ooh, poking the bear.  Fun.

Buddy

The bear should be in hibernation with all that snow at below zero temps he was getting.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 22:53:14
Ok, CajunKing,
Please move me to the "absolutely" column. I'll be coming with Johnny Fever and Bailey Quarters. I understand Johnny Fever says that we're also going to have enough room to bring a dead deer!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/07 23:10:01
Yay Ed!  Will the addition of the deer make it a 7-way??
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 08:30:21
Ed

Glad to hear you're in..

On an aside- I received an e-mail from Karilyn, she just booked her flight so it looks like she's officially in
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 09:29:04
If you're going to bring Bailey be sure to haul along that motor scooter she rode as a 17 year old in the Newsweek cover photo.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 09:50:14
Michael Hoffman

If you're going to bring Bailey be sure to haul along that motor scooter she rode as a 17 year old in the Newsweek cover photo.

Right on!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 09:59:15
Oh, wait. That was Jan Smithers in the cover shot.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 10:30:22
Michael Hoffman

I could have sworn it was Lleechef!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 10:31:40
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

I could have sworn it was Lleechef!

Nah. She doesn't ride on Vespas.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 10:40:30
Darn, it wasn't a Vespa. 
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/01/08 10:42:53
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 12:27:28
You can move us from 'Possible' to 'Yes'.

We'll make a weekend of it, possibly a long weekend. We'll have a car and can give rides.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 12:41:52
The more I see about this trip, the more I will make it happen. Bob goes thru Cincy a lot, and while he may not be able to join us, I think I can do this one. If not him, I may take a bus, and would need rides...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 16:05:02
We hope to participate, but have to wait for the post-op reports and 'rehab' before committing.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 16:29:42
mayor al

We hope to participate, but have to wait for the post-op reports and 'rehab' before committing.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be happy to help with your "RoadFood Rehab".
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/08 22:11:07
Flights are booked.  I am definitely a party of two, slight chance of three.  Looks like a great gathering . . .   Thanks for planning!!!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 14:42:00
ChiBears15

If most of the confirmed participants show up, this will be a memorable Roadfood get together... Hopefully this means that the Roadfood community is growing and we can do more of these larger get togethers in the future
-Danny
I suspect the reason for this year's high turnout is related to Cincinnati's location.  Although not equidistant from all participants, it is centrally located for a reasonable roadtrip or short flight.

This logic leads me to propose a future tour of Cleveland (Eastern European, Lake Erie Fish Fries, BBQ, Delis, etc.), and, while not quite as conveniently located, a tour of Detroit as described here.  There's more than just Coney Islands in the Motor City, and there's been prolonged talk of setting up a gathering, here at Roadfood.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion about Cincinnati Chili...

Buddy
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 14:46:53
Flights are booked. Should I not tell any CASI or ICS judges that I know about this trip? " />
post edited by EdSails - 2014/01/09 14:48:40
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 15:26:35
EdSails

Flights are booked. Should I not tell any CASI or ICS judges that I know about this trip? " />

Ed, Ed. Relax. Everyone who knows chili knows this stuff isn't chili. It's good, but it's just Greek meat sauce.

I'll wait now for the appearance of TJ, who will blast me once again for speaking the truth.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 15:27:58
BuddyRoadhouse 

I suspect the reason for this year's high turnout is related to Cincinnati's location. Buddy

I can't speak for others, but I just felt bad that I couldn't make it to the first Chili Crawl in 2009, as flights were too expensive and I had to reserve my vacation days for other trips so I felt I couldn't miss this opportunity even though I would be back for 2 days after we return from DC for our extended weekend trip.....I remember those days when I actually used to take roadfood trips just for the helluvit....Now it seems most of my trips are relegated to trips with my girlfriend, visiting friends, relatives, weddings....etc.....

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 16:05:36
WJ, are you booking a room in Cincinnati? If you find a deal, as you usually do, let us know please. Thanks.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 16:21:00
Michael Hoffman
Everyone who knows chili knows this stuff isn't chili. It's good, but it's just Greek meat sauce.

I'll wait now for the appearance of TJ, who will blast me once again for speaking the truth.
I wish you would stop using Cajunkings thread as a place to bait me, and to express intolerance for the core theme of roadfood, and to insult those who do not agree with your opinion

If you wish to continue doing so, I'd ask that you do so in Private Messages

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/01/09 16:23:27
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/09 16:27:49
Michael Hoffman

WJ, are you booking a room in Cincinnati? If you find a deal, as you usually do, let us know please. Thanks.

Yes, I believe north east of town-  I'm just not sure where yet. Since buffetbuster will be my wheels. Ifif I recall that's the part of town where he will be staying  and I want to book something very close by...
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/10 16:02:40
Mr. Hoffman, Bob agrees with you. He told me he is not a foodie, but told me  when he first had Cinci"chili", he said that's not chili. However, he thinks the trip would be fun, and hopes we can make it. Its greek spaghetti sauce, was his quote.
He is not opiniated, per se-he leaves that up to me) But he agrees with your assessment. His hope is to meet all of the gang-however I am afraid-very afraid........
post edited by ann peeples - 2014/01/10 16:08:12
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/10 18:35:08
Be not afraid. Strength is within you, and it will sustain you through the travails of a gathering of fools.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/10 21:11:42
FYI~
I do not drive, and would need a ride, should I be off work. I am centrally located near downtown, and I work at a downtown hotel (where some may be staying), so I can meet up there. I am going to request off, but will not know until the week of, whether my request will be granted.

Also, when others know what they are doing on Friday and Sunday (or other days in town), I may be able to meet up, as well, so keep us posted on all plans!!
post edited by soozycue520 - 2014/01/10 21:14:03
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/12 01:41:33
Buddy,
I think a future tour of Cleveland or Detroit is a great idea.  I am in!  What would be a good month to do this?  Louisville and Nashville should also be possibilities for a future tour. 

-Danny
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/12 02:01:10
Late summer/early fall are probably the best time to visit either of those cities.

A Detroit tour has been discussed endlessly here, without anyone making any decisions or commitments.  Frankly, I'm a little perplexed (but happy) that this Cincinnati tour is coming together so effortlessly while the Detroit visit languishes.

Buddy
CNW
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/12 02:01:29
I don't think that the trolley is doable. Their website says that the trolleys only seat 30. Confirmed attendance is already close to 30, and there are about 10 more who are still trying to make arrangements. I think that a full size touring bus is the right answer. First because it has seats more people and second there is under floor storage for coolers and such. All in all, I am in favor of spending a few bucks to be able to sightsee while the driver takes us around the city.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/12 23:11:38
I'll be driving my Avalon and can carry 3-4 others comfortably. Although if a bus is available that would probably be best.
Over the years I've spent 3-4 weeks in Cincy and really enjoy the area.
As to Detroit... Forget it! The worst trip of my life was to there, started with airplane problems in DC and went downhill from there.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 15:49:17
The idea of the bus is a good one and it would solve many logistical issues.   But don't expect everyone to ride it.  For me, I will still be in my car, because I like having the independence.  We went to Jungle Jim's a few years ago on the first tour and it was fine, but I'm just not interested in going back.  While everyone else goes there for a couple of hours to refresh their appetites, I could use that time to do something that I am more interested in, like going to a historical attraction.   Or if ChiTownDiner is with us, three or four extra food stops!

We would just meet back with the group when the shopping is done.  Sorry if this complicates things.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 15:59:09
I think I speak for MH when I say that we would rather use our own vehicle rather than a bus. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 16:21:17
We'll just follow buffetbuster around. That beats Jungle Jim's.
Atleye
Junior Burger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 17:49:59
My brother and I will try to make the trip.  I'm a long-time lurker living in Atlanta, but grew up in Dayton (where my brother lives).  Please add us as possibles.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 17:53:15
Looking forward to meeting you Atleye.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 18:22:17
buffetbuster

Or if ChiTownDiner is with us, three or four extra food stops!

I'll bring my pom pom's!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/13 18:26:19
Looking good there WJ.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/14 18:23:06
Head Count:

CajunKing
Buffetbuster
Louis
Wandering Jew
Michael Hoffman
Lleechef
Mayor Al & Janet
MikeS
ChiBears_15
Big_g
CNW
Jmckee
Buddy Roadhouse
Cousin Johnny
JRPfeff
Pie Diva
Sundancer
Dr Roz
Karilyn + 1 or 2
jjjrfoodie
rneiner
CTD
JeCutter
Miss Emma 
Sholley +1
Ed Sails
Ralph Melton
Ice Cream Chick
Ann Peebles 
I know there is more that said something but those are the names I have written down.

Possibles:
Mrs Roadhouse
Schlotz +1 
Sudie
Time For Pie +1
Bonk +1
Hateras +1
Soozycue
RKB
Atleye +1

I think that is an up to date list of attendees
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/14 18:33:39
Cliff - The Jungle Jims stop would be the new location on the east side, not the one we visited in 2009.

There are many options for waist line management exercises in the afternoon around the city.

What type of other activity besides JJs were you thinking??

I am trying to get a tour of graeter's production facility lined up, so if that comes through JJs would be replaced with graeters.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 2014/01/14 18:34:11
Holy cow, people are flying in for this? Cool -- I didn't know Cincinnati rated.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12