Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 32
Author
fablerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/23 18:57:52 (permalink)
Hi there! I have been lurking and recently did my first post. I was born in Minnesota and have lived in Illinois, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Connecticut and now, South Salem, New York. I have two daughters at college in North Carolina so love going down there to eat better food for a fraction of the cost of New York meals.

I do a lot of cooking and love trying new recipes.

roxy
benjo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/20 11:59:24 (permalink)
Hello. Been lurking for a while and figured I'd better sign up and jump into the forum when I can. Big fan of road trips, good food, and getting off of the beaten path. I work out a lot so I necessarily must eat a lot!

My particular obsession is with barbecue. In the great barbecue war, I reckon my flag is planted firmly in NC. Though I do like saucy barbecue, too.

Grew up in da Aloha state, so I'm also big into plate lunches and noodle shops... or the closest approximations I can find on the mainland!
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 424
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/20 14:38:12 (permalink)
I grew up in Troy, NY and graduated from SUNY at Albany. Since then I have lived in Western Massachusetts and Connecticut. I am a fan of hot dogs, and Pizza. I am not much on BBQ. But I am looking forward to traveling to the mid west for a Pork Loin sandwich.

Walt
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/20 14:58:22 (permalink)
I grew up in Virginia and have lived in 24 different states. I love the South and the Rocky Mountain states best. I do a lot of solo motorcycle touring (strictly non-interstate!), and consider myself kind of a roadfood expert. My favorite cuisine is Cuban, but I enjoy everything from sushi to BBQ. I now live in Madison, WI and have a great family with a beautiful wife, 14 year old daughter and a Bull Terrier. My hobbies are cooking, reading and motorcycle touring.
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/22 07:10:21 (permalink)
Hello all. I'm from a small town in NY state. When it comes to food, I like it all.. 'cept for a few things. And, I absolutely love BBQ! I can't think of anything that doesn't taste good off the grill. Nice to meet you all!
buckytom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 06:27:01 (permalink)
hi, i'm a stalker following juliev around. lol, only kidding. she referred me to yous guys, and i decided to check it out. looks like fun.
btw, i am a broadcast engineer for cbs tv and radio in nyc, and i live in northern new joisey.
i cook for myself, my wife, and soon for my new boy, and we eat out A LOT, and try to replicate the recipes at home, as well as make family style meals and recipes of our ethnicities and experiences.
juliev
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 08:50:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buckytom

hi, i'm a stalker following juliev around. lol, only kidding. she referred me to yous guys, and i decided to check it out. looks like fun.
btw, i am a broadcast engineer for cbs tv and radio in nyc, and i live in northern new joisey.
i cook for myself, my wife, and soon for my new boy, and we eat out A LOT, and try to replicate the recipes at home, as well as make family style meals and recipes of our ethnicities and experiences.
I bet you never thought you'd be a junior burger.. since you like grillin' filet mignon so much. lol What is that thing called again that you wear around your head when you're grilling at night? petzle?.. I know it's something like that. Good to see ya again, tom!
buckytom
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 09:06:44 (permalink)
yep, it's called a petzl headlamp. great for grilling in the dark. leaves both hands free, and puts the light where you're looking.
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 09:32:55 (permalink)
Ok, I'll jump in since I just found this thread.

I'm 50 and still feel like I'm only 48. A year and a half ago I retired after 29 years of law enforcement service. After a few months of enjoying retirement my wife made me do something destructive with my life so I bought a BBQ joint.(Okay, just kidding about the destructive part.) So I've really been living and breathing restaurant since then.

I found RF by searching for a better chicken fried steak recipe and been hanging out ever since. This board seems like a pretty cool place and I'd like to stick around.
juliev
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 10:19:58 (permalink)
Hiya Slick! Nice to meet you! Sorry about the pastrami and mayo in our sammich topic. Good idea!
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/27 16:11:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by juliev

Hiya Slick! Nice to meet you! Sorry about the pastrami and mayo in our sammich topic. Good idea!

And nice to meet you! Pastrami, mayo? No problem. Not everyone drinks pickle juice, either." />
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/28 14:59:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I. . . Worked for plotical groups in Indiana(Fort Wayne) and Ohio(akron).
We must be in the same party!
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/28 15:27:16 (permalink)
Fairly new poster here. Raised in Pittsburgh but now living in South Carolina. Miss some northern goodies like good Italian food, "chipped ham" (if you know Pittsburgh, you know what it is), and neighborhood ethnic bakeries ("you feel like Polish, Ukranian, or Serbian?").

But the South does have its own goodies, most notably great seafood and that nirvana of foods, barbecue!!!!! Never knew how tasty pig was until I moved down here. And love how they can take any vegetable down here and make it deliciously unhealthy! Just add lots of pork products and/or cheese! Southern country cooking is truly a joy to behold - no wonder so much of Roadfood.com takes place down here!!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/12/28 15:50:30 (permalink)
Greetings to all the folks who have joined the fun recently. You all are kinda Like my herd of grandkids...I know we share a common heritage, but I am damned if I can remember who is who !!
We hope you will make your presence known here on the Roadfood Site, This place is only as good as you make it !
Scattered thru a bunch of the threads are the plans for get-togethers thruout the coming Spring. Having been to several of these lunch/dinner/tours/etc, I can recommend them as a place to meet folks with similiar likes and dislikes in the way of travel and food. Please plan to join the fun when your schedule and the proximity of a meeting fit together.
We look forward to meeting a whole bunch of you around the country this year!
cbolado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/17 18:41:02 (permalink)
I’ve posted a few times, but I just found this thread, so I guess I’ll introduce myself, albeit a little belatedly. I was born and raised in Miami, went to school in Chicago, spent a summer in Columbia, SC (where I learned to really appreciate pulled pork with mustard-based BBQ sauce), and I now live in Weehawken, NJ, just outside of New York City.
My parents loved road trips, and I can’t remember ever traveling without our dog-eared copy of Roadfood. I recently bought my own copy, and it lives in the dashboard of my car (as does the Food Lover’s Guide to New Jersey, which is also a really great resource).

Carolina
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/18 07:42:39 (permalink)
welcome aboard!
i have to ask.. there's actually a 'food lover's guide to new jersey'?? always thought people wanted to get out of there.. (being born and raised there i can say that and hopefully not offend anyone..) hahaha

welcome and enjoy!
~~jerseygirl~~
ibcindyb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/21 09:09:11 (permalink)
I am Cindy B. I love to cook and eat out. I work for a large electronic retailer doing customer service.

Love this forum.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/21 09:39:02 (permalink)
Welcome, Cindy Some of us are a little worn down this morning from a busy BBQ weekend, but we are always glad to meet new folks. Hope you enjoy the place.
AL
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/21 10:12:28 (permalink)
My name is Gary Clark,originally from Manchester,Maine(pop 842). I am a professional trumpet player and educator(ret.)graduated from Juilliard,spent my career in Boston for two years and NYC for 25.
I now live in Tampa. Spent three years in the Army(1967-70)and will not tell anybody any war stories........I love all types of food. My hobbies are 'trains'(watching,reading and riding),stamp collecting and I am a vociforous reader of literature,etc. I enjoy this site for it's information and it's wit(most of the time).
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/23 08:18:34 (permalink)
Hi all (a little belatedly)...
I'm originally from New England (Boston area and SE NH), spent some time as a child in Oregon, and went to grad school in North Carolina in the '90s. Now I work for the federal government. My favorite food is Variety, but I'm particularly addicted to any kind of fried potatoes, but my Jewish and New England roots are in conflict - I would have a hard time giving up shellfish, especially Ipswich clams (whether steamed or fried). I come from a foodie family - my grandma was a buddy of Julia Child's. Grandma always cooked exquisite meals but wouldn't stand for snacking, so I've grown up trying to satisfy nagging feelings of hunger and deprivation. I guess I'm a Roadfooder 'cause I always plan travel around eating. When I'm not eating, I like hiking (partly so I can eat whatever I want!), birding, playing and listening to music (all kinds).
Cheers,
Emily
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/23 12:04:42 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Debbie.
I'm originally from Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois, now in the Houston area after a delightful stay in South Louisiana.
As a long-time motorhoming family, we've been following the Roadfood books from the very first.
I think my first meal at a Roadfood place was at the original Sartin's, and it's been all good from there. Memorable meals have been in Cedar Key, FL, Meridian, Mississippi and anywhere in Acadiana.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/28 18:30:50 (permalink)
Whoops! I thought I'd posted my info on this thread, but I can't find it, so here goes.

Born in Memphis, lived sequentially in Albuquerque, NM, Castro Valley,CA, then back in TN, and now in Natchitoches, LA, where we plan to remain. Can't remember being single--married to the same woman since we finished college. 3 kids, one grandchild here & another on the way. Owned by three cats and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Former teacher of English lit & grammar, then an Episcopal priest for the rest of my life. Early retirement (disability) a year ago today (), so I have time to play on the internet a lot.

Interests include but aren't restricted to:
  • reading "junk fiction" (SF/Fantasy, detective mysteries);
  • cars (at age sixty I finally got my first sports car, a Boxter S);
  • cooking;
  • computers;
  • firearms, mostly hand-guns; and
  • travel.

If you're going to be in north-central Louisiana or, better yet, Natchitoches, let me know and we can get together if you like.
mugirl2003
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/28 20:55:27 (permalink)
A little about my cool self I'm 24yrs old, living in Huntington,Wv and working my first "real" job. I grew up in Grayson,Ky on a 200 acre farm and experienced every bit of home grown cookin! I graduated from Marshall U. with a BA in Criminal justice and I work as a substance abuse therapist. Eventually I want to work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons I love making up cool food combos and the country will never grow out of this gal! I'm health nut so I'm into studying healthy foods and keeping my body healthy.. most of the time I love cars(I used to own a 944 Rick F.!), reading, computers, traveling, music, long walks on the beach, small fluffy kitties, oops. LOL

God Bless
Vanessa
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/02/28 21:18:37 (permalink)
I am Jack, resident of Fontana, CA. Born in Inglewood, CA, and raised up in San Juan Capistrano, CA, where I lived for 40 years. I am a happily divorced father of 3 sons and 1 daughter, all grown. My daughter recently blessed me with a Grandaughter. I recently retired from the Los Angeles Fire Dept at the rank of Captain after spending 25 years with them. I also spent 6 years with the USMC, 0331 MOS.
HungryDoug
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/03/17 16:55:40 (permalink)
Hi, my name is Doug, and I'm a roadfoodaholic.

I have spent time in Kalamazoo, MI (Sweetwater's Donut Mill - Orange Juice Donuts, Larue's - Breakfast, Colonial Kitchen - Potato Omelet, Maggie's - Breakfast). The 5 years I spent in K'zoo as a student included a lot of breakfast food and an obscene amount of Pizza.
Upon my move to Rochester, NY, I made a concious effort to diversify the menu a bit. Dinosaur BBQ is still the gold standard by which I rate all BBQ, this place absolutely rocks! Great food and interesting people-watching, get the Big Ass Pork Platter. Other Rochester favorites: Schaller's - burgers and hots, Nick Tahou's - garbage plate, Dibella's - subs.
A few years in Delaware, OH were uninspiring roadfood-wise. Several will disagree with me; maybe it's due to the fact that I'm from Michigan, and thus have an instinctual dislike for all things Ohio.
Currently, I live in Blacksburg, VA with my wife (who is a VA Tech professor - go Hokies!); we've completely bought into the religion that is Hokie football. I work in an administrative capacity at nearby Radford U. My wife doesn't quite share my passion for "tolling for Roadfood", but she humors me and enjoys it when we find a winner. In our spare time, we sail, read, and hike/bike the many trails in SW Virginia.
mcunnin777
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/23 17:59:50 (permalink)
My name is Michael and I live in Cincinnati. I have been a fan of the Sterns for years so I was delighted to find this site. My job requires that I travel within about a 200 mile radius of Cincy to various Hospitals in Ohio, Ky and Indiana. So I decided to put together a little list of places to eat for my own use and to share with my fellow employees. Roadfood has been an invaluable site! Thank you all. Following is a sample from my 18 page roadfood list:

Bellefontaine, OH - NEW LISTING
Ma's & Pa's Crossroads Restaurant
Intersection State Route 235 N & State Route 47
Logan County, OH
937-585-9959
Not exactly in Bellefontaine but located at the intersection SR 47 and SR 235 about 7 miles before you get there coming from I-75. This place is at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere. They seem to offer one special per day along with their hamburgers. On the day I stopped, the feature was Meatloaf with all the trimmings and it was good. The feature of the day is posted on an electric billboard in the parking lot of the place. You can see what they have to offer as you are driving past on your way to Mary Rutain Hospt. in Bellefontaine and stop for lunch on the way back.

An admittedly limited menu, but the food is good and where else can you find a restaurant with an autographed picture of Grandpa Jones hanging on the wall? There is not a house within miles of this place so everyone who eats here has to drive some distance to get to it if that tells you anything.

Thanks again to all Roadfood members.
Michael
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/23 21:37:02 (permalink)
Wonderful!!!!

Cheers, John
smoke&fire
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/28 12:43:41 (permalink)
Hello All,
I am 27 years old. I was born in Red Bank New Jersey, but now live in Salisbury NC (slowly but surely making my way to Texas). I cooked for living for 13 years (mainly fine dining), but I'm a BBQ freak. I love it all KC, Texas, North Carolina, etc. I travel all the time and absolutely love this site! You guys are great. My hobbies & interests are cycling/triathlon, rodeo, cooking & eating, reading & travel. Hope to hear from some of you guys.
Justin
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 09:14:49 (permalink)
Hey everyone, I'm Paul, Long Island born and raised, old enough to remember some of the great places that were around, young enough to visit and appreciate some of the new places!
I travel a lot, and one of my rules is that I while I'm on the road, I typically will NOT eat at any place that is available to me in my home area - unless it's an emergency (on the interstate at 2 am, ravenously hungry and passing a Mickey D's would qualify).
My personal tastes run to spicy, exciting food. I love good mexican, spicy and full of flavor; Pizza, NY coal oven style, good slow cooked bbq, decent 'burgers, and, especially HOT DOGS!
I work in the field of parks and recreation, was married for a long time, am now single again, and have two sons, both of whom share my love of exploring new places to eat.
Send over a hello if the mood strikes you!
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 15:53:30 (permalink)
Ooops, never noticed this thread when I started lurking about forever-ago. I'm Shan, an almost 35yo wife and mother of three, located in a confusing part of Texas recently known as "West Central Texas" which is really more like Eastern West Texas - basically, think of the long stretch of road between Fort Worth and El Paso, pick a spot near the middle, and go north a bit. (We're about two hours south of Lubbock, one hour NW of Abilene.) My main roadfood experience is in that no-man's land, south-western CT (used to live in Sherman, outside of Danbury) and the Mid-Hudson Valley area of New York.

I never realized I'd miss much about CT aside from the first snowfall of the year, but who knew... Hot dogs have become the thing I miss the most. I never realized how spoiled we were by Hummel Bros! I always knew I'd miss my favorite pizza place in Marlboro, NY, as well as Italian pastries from the entire region. On the upside, I'm a native Texan, so I'm thrilled to be back in the land of chicken fried steak and great Tex-Mex. (Though as a low-carber for the past 5 1/2 years, those treats are few and far between these days.)

Let's see... oh, I also owned a small cafe for a few years in the early 90's, but when my favorite meat supplier closed and my cook decided she wasn't going to make fresh tortillas any longer, I simply walked away from that stress and drifted back into my first love, fine jewelry.

The one really irritating thing about me, though, that I feel compelled to confess... my favorite restaurant these days is the Texas Roadhouse. But having a son who travels all over west TX for football, I'm pretty qualified to tell you all about places you'll probably NEVER be. LOL
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1