Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 32
Author
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 613
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 16:08:51 (permalink)

Or further south, that stretch of I-10 between San Antonio & El Paso.
An interesting, but a long 12-hour ride: once you got to Van Horn (all buses
used to stop at a local cafeteria), the end was in sight!
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 16:26:26 (permalink)
I have to admit, that's one drive I've never made... and don't see in my future. ;-) But I've learned to never say never when it comes to high school (or in our case, jr high) football trips.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 16:40:11 (permalink)
Hey Twister, how close are you to my ancestral stomping grounds of Voss, Paint Rock, Ballinger, and San Angelo. We're planning on a trip down that way this summer.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 16:48:57 (permalink)

In 1973 it was even more tricky since parts of I-10 were still under construction,
and one part I remember was the bus going around a curve which looked to be on a very high ledge. " />
Then in 1976, had a near-accident west of Fort Stockton due to a driving rainstorm (about 9 PM)....looking from the station to the west, very ominous/black;
I decided to "sleep"....about three hours later, my sister said that the driver had to swerve to avoid hitting a truck in the other lane.
Overall, we traversed all of Texas on I-10 four times (twice each direction) on the way to/from Florida-California.
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 19:07:15 (permalink)
Bill, close enough to call myself close by west TX standards, anyway. We're up near Snyder, about two hours north of SA. Which way are you traveling?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/04/29 19:49:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by benjo

Grew up in da Aloha state

Benjo,
Can you explain, then, why Hawaiians have the obsession with canned "formed ham product"? I understand that all those products - Spam, Treet, the generics, and the locals, combine to give Hawaiians the highest per capita consumption thereof - something like 74 cans per person per year.
I mean, I LOVE good pulled pig BBQ (ESPECIALLY with a tangy dark mustard sauce!), but hanged if I could eat it 7 days a week, which a person would have to do with Spam-alikes to munch down on 74 cans of it a year!
Can you offer any explanation? I'm flat dying of curiosity, and - doubtless - so is Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Uncannily, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I'll have MY Spam with Spam sauce! ...Wonderful Spam!
P. P. S. Next I'll report back to the Ministry Of Silly Walks... galump, galump.
Big Dave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/05/13 23:32:09 (permalink)
I lurked for a little while then decided to register. I found this forum from the Red Barn website (barnbuster.net). By day, i install HVAC equipment in residential new construction. By night, I spend too much time online and restore vintage TV sets (50's and 60's era). I like good food. Many things i found here interest me. My cooking skills, supposedly. are good, but I open the can and microwave (due to work). I also have a website on TV restoration.

www.geocities.com/evilfurnaceman
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/05/14 21:54:52 (permalink)
Cripes, I'm a baby in comparison to the other posters. I feel so...insignificant. Anyway, I live in Toronto, ON, and I'm a mere 18 years old. Despite my size, I suppose one could say that I'm a little bit of a food addict. I don't eat much, but I revel in new food experiences: I love travelling and visiting restaurants I've never been to before, I love tasting new "junk food" (or at least finding out about it--white chocolate M&M's anyone?), and I ADORE cooking (although I've yet to master the art). Sure I'm a big health nut, with my organic cereals and veggies and tofu and lean meats and stuff, but I believe that food should be enjoyed, and not ONLY eaten in order to live. And yeah.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/05/14 23:57:18 (permalink)
Im Dave from Waterford,Michigan. I like NASCAR and Ribs and Waffle House,etc. Im a student. I enjoy country music. Im single for all you ladies out there who want a real man like me. I love the USA. Family Guy is reel cool. I also love fried chicken and Spaghetti.
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/05/25 05:13:50 (permalink)
I haven't been here in awhile, but I decided to come back. If I start a "What are you having for dinner, etc?" thread, don't get mad at me this time.. This is a cool site!
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 13:58:05 (permalink)

Bumped up again for all of the new posters that have checked in as of late!
Welcome Aboard!!
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 15:20:23 (permalink)
Cripes!
Leave it up to me to run my yap for 50+ posts before I see this thread!
I'm Copper (Lifetime nickname) from Georgia. I have lived my entire life on the outskirts of Atlanta but recently moved about ninety miles SSW. Although sometimes I miss my family, I have never regretted the move because I just couldn't take the traffic/noise/lack of space and privacy another day. So the moment arrived when my kids were grown I sold my home "as is" and played gypsy from 1997-2004, working in all types of restaurants just as I had while raising them. I finally settled here where I plan to stay. Its five acres of woods and one tiny old trailer, but its Paid For.
My interests include:
1. Reading (mostly on the internet these days such as "How to build a coop and raise chickens", "How to build a vermicomposting unit" blah blab blah
2. Drawing, Painting, Sculpting
3. Beadwork
4. Cooking
5. Music
6. Silversmithing (nothing too fancy, mind you)
7. and animals, Animals, ANIMALS

My newest venture is my "Eatin' Kitchen" due to arrive before or after Dennis. I can't wait to get it and plan my airbrush logo and such!

I chose the name Caramel Copper because of a bet I had with a local Soul Food cafe' that I could make an Old Fashioned Caramel cake their customers would believe the 75-year-old black AWESOME cook in the back had made. I won, and the proprietess gave me that handle. I'm damned proud of it. (OK, it took three tries)

I love it here.....a variety of personalities and lots of great info!

Copper

kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 16:21:53 (permalink)
Welcome aboard Copper! Your posts have been interesting! Good luck with your new venture!
Leo Starrenburg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 17:08:51 (permalink)
Hi All,

my name is Leo Starrenburg from The Netherlands. Our oldest daughter was an exchange student in KY until June of this year and while preparing our visit to her we came across Roadfood.com .

Our town lies in the southern part of The Netherlands and we still have a good range of traditional butchers, bakers, greengrocers and a fishmonger that's in the race for the title 'Best Fishmonger Nationwide' A decent number of restaurants, food stalls and cafeteria's / diners. Opening hours are limited in relation to the US, breakfast starts at 6AM in the gasstations' DeliFrance bakery, McDonalds opens at 8AM (I think), most other places have lunch and dinner with the kitchen closing around 10~11PM.

We hope to be return to KY but it won't be before spring 2006.

cheers, Leo.
boilermaker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 17:22:30 (permalink)
Howdy! boilermaker is the name, and yes, I attended Purdue University. I found this forum a while back when I was travelling extensively (I'm consulting now, but hope to get back on the road soon). I currently live in Arlington, TX and am continiously looking for good places to eat.

I am a foodie - my former employer was a food broker and I ended up travelling to 44 of the 50 states (including Hawaii and Alaska). In addition to my regular duties, I played chef at grand openings, sales calls, trade shows and special events (one of my treasures is a chef's coat that I got Wolfgang Puck to sign). So yes, I can cook too. Like many of the other posters here, I had no idea what BarBQue was until I started working for Texans and travelled throughout the South (I think I was a Southerner in a past life).

Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 18:03:40 (permalink)
Hi my name is Mark I'm 48 years old,
I was an Army brat for my first 18 years and grew up in Italy, Germany, Japan and Hawaii, MD & NoVa. As a kid we visited all 50 states as my father would be stationed on the East Coast and we'd have a month to drive across country (in the 60's) to the West Coast to fly or take a ship across the Pacific. So I have traversed the lower, the middle lower, the upper middle and the upper routes across country multiple times on long long Long road trips.

It's with this travel bug and wanderlust and my parents who loved all kinds of ethnic cooking and loved to experiment and explore that I'm cursed with this affliction (tongue in cheek).

Settled in the Quad Cities (IA & IL) after college and lived there for 12 years then moved to Auburn Hills, Michigan for another 8 years and now live in Owings Mills, Maryland. I have a job that keeps me on the road every week of the year, traveling all across the country so I get to sample the true roadfood finds and small Mom & Pop places. Whenever I get to a new place I always ask for the local places (not chains) and what the area is known for.

Hobbies are Travelling, Scuba Diving, seeking out the best in Pizza, BBQ, Beer, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Hoagies (et al) and Mexican from across the country and also Scouting.

I look forward to learning and experiencing and sharing.
sop that
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/08 22:06:42 (permalink)
Hi I am Joe aka "Sop That", strange name, but it comes from the Texas style BBQ that my father in law taught me. Pit BBQ, long and slow, frequently mopped with a thin "Sop" sauce. I figured if the beef he BBQed was great using this method I would try and find another subject to Sop and bbq in the method I was taught. So I sopped many different meat products and while the beef my father in-law introduced me to is still the king, I make a pretty good variation using a pork tenderloin. Enough about the name...

Bill Voss suggested filling in the blanks, so here is mine...

Fill in the blanks:

You're driving a __1995_ (year) ___Firehawk___ (car make/model) down some Sonoma County road (highway or street) in _Nor Cal_ (roadfood locale), on your way to Mustards (roadfood establishment). The radio is playing _Too Young to Die_ by _CSN_, your favorite Roadfood song. The weather is _Blue sky_. In the seat next to you is _my wife of 23 years (be honest!).

The best part of roadfood for us is the discovery and building up an appetite enjoying the drive then the food.
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/11 16:22:04 (permalink)
Octopus here, where the name comes from who knows. I live in the Albany, NY area, Clifton Park actually. I am 36 and currently work for an insurance company. Only for now, I have always loved Cooking and next year I am returning to school to get my degreee in Culinary Services. I should have listened to my school Guidance Cons. when she told me I should become a Chef. As far as me I love to Travel and Love to eat so Roadfood is a natural for me. Found Roadfood.com on my Yahoo home page. Since then I have been hooked.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/11 17:09:06 (permalink)

Greetings and a warm Welcome to all of you who are taking the time to introduce yourselves here on this thread. We hope you find the companionship and information on Roadfood.Com a welcome addition to your 'Net activity.
Join in where ever you have an interest, and help make this a better place !
AL
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/11 18:03:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

Cripes!
Leave it up to me to run my yap for 50+ posts before I see this thread!
I'm Copper (Lifetime nickname) from Georgia. I have lived my entire life on the outskirts of Atlanta but recently moved about ninety miles SSW. Although sometimes I miss my family, I have never regretted the move because I just couldn't take the traffic/noise/lack of space and privacy another day. So the moment arrived when my kids were grown I sold my home "as is" and played gypsy from 1997-2004, working in all types of restaurants just as I had while raising them. I finally settled here where I plan to stay. Its five acres of woods and one tiny old trailer, but its Paid For.
My interests include:
1. Reading (mostly on the internet these days such as "How to build a coop and raise chickens", "How to build a vermicomposting unit" blah blab blah
2. Drawing, Painting, Sculpting
3. Beadwork
4. Cooking
5. Music
6. Silversmithing (nothing too fancy, mind you)
7. and animals, Animals, ANIMALS

My newest venture is my "Eatin' Kitchen" due to arrive before or after Dennis. I can't wait to get it and plan my airbrush logo and such!

I chose the name Caramel Copper because of a bet I had with a local Soul Food cafe' that I could make an Old Fashioned Caramel cake their customers would believe the 75-year-old black AWESOME cook in the back had made. I won, and the proprietess gave me that handle. I'm damned proud of it. (OK, it took three tries)

I love it here.....a variety of personalities and lots of great info!

Copper

uummm WOW! Copper can feed me anytime! 1-4 pretty much describe my interests as well
Forsyth
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/11 21:10:21 (permalink)
Well, I've posted a bit and finally found this forum.

I'm Laura. Born and bred in Chicago, I moved to NYC five years ago and subsequently Nassau County, Long Island (Lawn Guy Land to us resident aliens).

A friend pointed me in the direction of Roadfood a few months ago. Thanks Matt!

Living on the eastern seaboard, mere blocks from salt water is a novelty. I frequent the I-95 corridor from NYC to DC and sometimes as far south as South Carolina. For a midwest girl, the ease of travel and accessibility to historical places (I've been to DC and B'more two dozen times in five years) is opportunity not to be missed.

As others have indicated, I plan trips around great food. Regional specialties, local cuisine, call it what you will.

I have some very regional prejudices to which I admit openly and freely:

1. Pizza. It's like Thanksgiving stuffing, you want what you grew up with.
(Thus, I don't eat pizza outside the Chicago Metro area)
2. Bagels. It's a New Yawk thang. I take them with me, so there are some pretty dissatisfied folks in Chicago (my family) who can't find anything to compare there. At least they're always happy to see me (grin).
3. Crab buns. It is one of my goals in life to introduce and addict every person I can reasonably drag out for crab buns to them. So far the record is 37 for 37. It's like that wella balsam commercial: ANd he told two friends, and she told two friends......

Other than that, I love hot dogs of all kinds, a great burger, steak, barbecue of most styles (that mustard stuff doesn't thrill me but in a pinch it'll do), thai, sushi, and a particular favorite is Afghani. Tough to find but worth the search.

Now that I'm starving, thanks to the Sterns and all the contributors who make this a delightful site to page through.

signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 13:24:22 (permalink)
Laura, I certainly hope you have stopped at Helmand on one of your trips to Baltimore. Give a shout next time your in the neighborhood, so you can shoot for number 38. What the heck is a crab bun anyway?
mammascookin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 14:37:21 (permalink)
Well hello out there! I am an extreme newbie! I happened across this site looking for salsa recipes...I love trying new things!

Let's see, a little about me. I am a 25 year old mother of 3 (ages 6, 4, and 7 months) and single at that. I don't have a ton of time to cook but when I do I tend to cook enough for the whole neighborhood!

I work for the military making training software. I must say, I LOVE MY JOB!

I am Puerto Rican and love spicey food. I don't really believe in cooking out of a box...so the only time my kids get Mac and Cheese is at daycare. I will make my own homemade though!

Hobbies:
playing outside with my kids
sports
shopping
learning
reading
cooking/baking
computers
arts/crafts

Favorite foods:
Pasteles (puerto rican style - not pastries)
tostones
bacalao
malanga
pizza
fruit (just about any kind)

I love to eat grilled food, but haven't yet mastered the art of grilling...shoot me later!

Well, that's all for now! Thanks for this great site!

Ciao amigos!
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 16:07:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Laura, I certainly hope you have stopped at Helmand on one of your trips to Baltimore. Give a shout next time your in the neighborhood, so you can shoot for number 38. What the heck is a crab bun anyway?

I was wondering that too!

A big hello and welcome to everyone new! Sue
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 16:16:56 (permalink)
A welcome from moderator Sundancer to all that is new. It is refreshing to see how many new folks find the site and contribute with new ideas, new foods that are especially new to me. The Puerto Rican lady from Des Moines Iowa (Mammascooking) really intrigued me with her new foods that I have only briefly experienced in San Juan and the rest of the island.

Caramel Copper, thanks for your input.

All others, please continue to post and give us your new ideas. At times the site gets bogged down and all of a sudden along comes new folks with new ideas and it really creates interest. I am so glad all of you are here.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 17:21:08 (permalink)
Hello and welcome aboard to y'all! seems i should get here more often and reply to your posts so that i dont come off as a snob---so again--welcome--and jusp on it the waters great!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 18:21:04 (permalink)
Tiki, I'm not sure you can live in small town oklahoma and be a snob.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 18:40:46 (permalink)

Trust me, My Okie Friend, No one who has ever met you would think of you as a snob ! There's a major difference between having 'likes and dislikes' and voicing them...and being an arrogant 'snob' who puts down other people who may have a differing opinion.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 19:05:32 (permalink)
Tiki a snob???????????? I don't think so. He may be a lot of things but he ain't a snob. Maybe a holdover hippie from the 60's that that is it. I view him a a dude who likes good food and gives his point of view on that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 625
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2005/07/12 19:18:55 (permalink)
I'm Steve, from St. Louis (hence the handle). Saw the Stern's books at the library, checked one out, did some research on the web, and landed here. Good site.

I'm in my mid-40's and for quite a few years did the corporate chase across this great country of ours. Last count, I've done 43 states. The road can really be a grind, and I always enjoyed finding a local place as opposed to a chain. Like everyone else, I hit the chains when it's convenient, but give me a local place I can't get anyplace else, and I'm happy. It's been interesting to see just how many of the places listed here I've actually been to.

I really enjoy

barbecue
diners that serve great breakfast
meat and three places, southern food in general.
anyplace that serves good tenderloins (hard to find in St. Louis)
anyplace that serves good meatloaf (even harder to find)
Italian beef sandwiches
good delis
good cuban sandwiches
and of course, hot dogs, especially Chicago style
I also enjoy ethnic food.

Looks like Roadfood is the place for me.

Enjoying my visits so far. Keep up the good work, guys.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1