NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Change Page: << < ..111213141516 > | Showing page 12 of 16, messages 661 to 720 of 945
carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
  • Reward points : 0
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/9/09 12:01 AM
Greetings, fellow roadfooders ( roadfoodies? ) My name's Bob, and last week I made the grand transition from long-time lurker to poster. I'm a 56 year-old railroad employee; or rather I was - I just had to take an early retirement due to injuries from a slip-and-fall accident ( broken hip, shattered wrist....ouch! ) 2008 was a REALLY BAD year. But I'm still alive, soooo..... I bought my first copy of Roadfood back in 1980, and I've eaten in about 50 "official" roadfood eateries over the years since. My father was from Mount Airy NC, where he went to grade school with Andy Griffith ( honest! )
My many roadtrips down to NC to visit relatives have given me the opportunity to eat in many famed RF places, such as Mary Mac's, Bob Sykes, the Ridgewood, the Beacon, and Snappy Lunch ( duh! ) I love to eat out, and I'm really enjoying participating in this site.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/9/09 5:29 AM
Well,welcome to the posting ranks....I spent many summers in the North Carolina mountains, in Burnsville,in Yancey County...beautiful spot!!! Glad to have you aboard!

JoseyWales
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/16/09 3:07 PM
  Once upon a time in Eastern Tennessee was a small BBQ joint called Backwoods BBQ and Ribs. The "Roadies" visited and for quite a while I was a successful restauranteur. Alas, the EX wife did not quite relish the glamour of fine BBQ and we dissolved the business after two years.
  I had always missed the business and find myself contemplating doing it again. I may be crazy but I just love to smoke BBQ and meet new friends that pass by my place. It will not be in East Tennessee this time, perhaps Kentucky.
  I have a passion for all things meat and smoke related. Sauces, slaw, home made desserts......comfort food I suppose. Big portions and fair prices. I am older and now in command of my own destiny again. It may take a year or more to do this but the saliva is flowing from this rabid BBQ'ers chapped lips again.
  Don'y try to discourage me, I know it's a tough go but worth the struggle.
Those who dined on the fine ribs and pulled pork know what I am capable of. I am now working my skills and feeding friends locally in North Carolina, see y'all soon, I hope.

Glad to be back on the Forums again. They call me Josey Wales. I used to go by ...................

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/16/09 3:13 PM
JoseyWales

Once upon a time in Eastern Tennessee was a small BBQ joint called Backwoods BBQ and Ribs. The "Roadies" visited and for quite a while I was a successful restauranteur. Alas, the EX wife did not quite relish the glamour of fine BBQ and we dissolved the business after two years.
  I had always missed the business and find myself contemplating doing it again. I may be crazy but I just love to smoke BBQ and meet new friends that pass by my place. It will not be in East Tennessee this time, perhaps Kentucky.
  I have a passion for all things meat and smoke related. Sauces, slaw, home made desserts......comfort food I suppose. Big portions and fair prices. I am older and now in command of my own destiny again. It may take a year or more to do this but the saliva is flowing from this rabid BBQ'ers chapped lips again.
  Don'y try to discourage me, I know it's a tough go but worth the struggle.
Those who dined on the fine ribs and pulled pork know what I am capable of. I am now working my skills and feeding friends locally in North Carolina, see y'all soon, I hope.

Glad to be back on the Forums again. They call me Josey Wales. I used to go by ...................

I recall you and your place in Erwin TN was very good.  I still think there is a place for you in Knoxville, TN.

Knoxville has no real good BBQ places and I think your idea would work here.

Please stay in touch.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

JoseyWales
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/16/09 3:24 PM
Howdy Paul, and thanks so very much for remembering me and thanks for coming down to the place. I do sooooooo miss the friends that I made and will be making the long trek to a comeback. Perhaps Knoxville, depends on the economy rebounding and how things develope for me. So very good to hear from you my friend. You know of my passion. I am close to you, but have too many irons in the fire at this time. Look forward to getting back to the basics again. Again, THANK YOU. I am smiling again.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 01/16/09 6:05 PM
Outlaw - Welcome to RF

We can ALWAYS use more good BBQ shacks, look forward to hearing more from you.

CajunKing

JoseyWales
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 01/20/09 6:51 AM
Thanks Cajun King. I do like my crawfish boils, suckin'heads and squeezin' tails.

EFP4ME
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 01/24/09 2:31 PM
I'm Allan and decided to visit this site after hearing about the upcoming street festival in NOLA.

I attended the Ephraim Faience Pottery Holiday Fest in Madison, Wi this past December and overheard some people in the bar at the Madison Sheraton, the hotel where the event I was attending was held, discussing this site and your upcoming event. So, whoever among you that may have been... Thanks! These forums have been an interesting read and many of the reviews helpful. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable writing one of my own.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17808
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 01/24/09 3:00 PM
I wish the woman who began this thread would come back. I miss Lone Star's contributions.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 01/24/09 6:52 PM
nocarolina

Greetings, fellow roadfooders ( roadfoodies? ) My name's Bob, and last week I made the grand transition from long-time lurker to poster. I'm a 56 year-old railroad employee; or rather I was - I just had to take an early retirement due to injuries from a slip-and-fall accident ( broken hip, shattered wrist....ouch! ) 2008 was a REALLY BAD year. But I'm still alive, soooo.....

Gosh Bob, go break a leg and you could probably surpass Michael Hoffman in the number of posts by next week.

jr.
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 01/25/09 1:50 AM
hello everyone,, I'm Jr. I found this site looking around for some diff. places to eat on our vac. this summer. the vac. will be a food road trip spanning about 2 weeks so far on the list is hillbilly hotdogs (lesage wv), tony packos (toledo oh), anchor bar (buffalo ny), pats king of steaks (philly pa). looking to add 2 more stops.
 anyway, love the site it should be very helpful to me.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 01/25/09 7:50 AM
Michael Hoffman

I wish the woman who began this thread would come back. I miss Lone Star's contributions.

I agree Michael, she was always an interesting person. I would like to see her return also but her absence is understandable.

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 01/26/09 9:32 AM

Hi Jr!  sounds like a cool trip.....Don't forget to get a beef on weck while in upstate N.Y. mmmmmm  so salty, so delicious, so far away !!      Dawn

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 01/26/09 9:45 AM
EFP4ME

I'm Allan and decided to visit this site after hearing about the upcoming street festival in NOLA.

I attended the Ephraim Faience Pottery Holiday Fest in Madison, Wi this past December and overheard some people in the bar at the Madison Sheraton, the hotel where the event I was attending was held, discussing this site and your upcoming event. So, whoever among you that may have been... Thanks! These forums have been an interesting read and many of the reviews helpful. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable writing one of my own.
Welcome to Roadfood Allan!  I don't know if you checked out the recent trip report while I was in Mississippi, but I love your home state!  Are you going to join us in NOLA?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 01/26/09 2:43 PM
Alan,
 Welcome to the group!! We hope you find your visits informative.
  We have family in Baraboo, so we visit your area a couple of times a year to check out the Grandkids etc.  We have enjoyed every visit (but don't visit in the winter!!!)

NOTE to others- We miss Kelly (Lone Star ) A Lot ! We hope she is well.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17808
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 01/26/09 4:13 PM
kland01s

Michael Hoffman

I agree Michael, she was always an interesting person. I would like to see her return also but her absence is understandable.

Oh, sure it's understandable. But I miss her.

jr.
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 01/26/09 9:37 PM
AHI MPLS

Hi Jr!  sounds like a cool trip.....Don't forget to get a beef on weck while in upstate N.Y. mmmmmm  so salty, so delicious, so far away !!      Dawn

i'm sure i'll try one. We'll be stopping by a friends place in Binghamton NY, i'll ask where i can find a beef on weck.

JR.
<message edited by jr. on Mon, 01/26/09 9:38 PM>

EFP4ME
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 01/28/09 12:28 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I do intend to attend the NOLA street festival.

Also, I'll definitely have to check out BuffetBuster's latest trip report.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 01/29/09 11:37 AM
Welcome Allen, Bob, Outlaw and jr--jr you're from my neck of the woods.  I think you'll like it here.

mjsneddon
  • Total Posts : 230
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 02/5/09 11:45 PM
Greetings all:

My name is Mike.  I have been enjoying this website for a while now but only recently started to post.

My wife (of 40 years) and I like to travel and eat good food.  In fact, eating for me has achieved the status of a "hobby".  We have found something that appeals to both our wanderlust and penchant for ethnic food: visiting towns that have a major university.  Currently planning a jaunt in March that will include several more campuses (College Station and Austin, TX, Norman and Stillwater, OK, Fayetteville, AR and Columbia, MO).

We really enjoy small town festivals that feature music and food.  We like to travel mostly by car, taking the "back roads" as much as possible, eating in the mom-and-pop restaurants, visiting with the local folk, and generally enjoying this great land of ours.

We are in our early 60s and are looking forward to retirement in four or five years.  We have two sons, two daughters-in-law, two grandsons and one granddaugher.  The Lord has blessed us richly.

Have a great day.

Mike Sneddon

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 02/6/09 12:08 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike

We have got you by a couple of years and a truckload of Grandkids, but enjoy many of the same things you mentioned. We hope you enjoy your visits here at Rodfood.com and will post your finds for others to enjoy.
AL  Bowen

Msep003
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 02/22/09 4:49 AM
Hey Everyone !!!!!!

I'd like to introduce myself here because its the right place to do that lol

i'm 24 and i'm from the old continent which is Europe . I'm from France the country of great food too but a different food that you can find in Northern America .

I went to the US a lot and im still going to Northern America  a lot too . My next Destinations is Los Angeles Area and i'm actually looking for some great restaurant and local food too like old style dinners and stuff like that .

I'm also going to Las Vegas for 3 Days and i already tried some gigantic buffet but i need to try more of them .

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 02/22/09 9:34 AM
Welcome to Roadfood....You'll get some great eating ideas if you search the archives here for California and Las Vegas.....and I've enjoyed every trip I've taken to France... What a beautiful place to live!!!!!!!

'QueperMan
  • Total Posts : 45
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 02/22/09 7:02 PM
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell ya'll how much I love this site. I really appreciate the time ya'll have dedicated to making this site as great as it is.  I am currently a student at East Carolina University and have grown up in Eastern NC all my life.  Needless to say, I love BBQ.  I am actually planning on going to dental school in the next couple of years, but my true passion is food and especially BBQ, and it will always play a role in my life.  I look forward to posting my opinions as I eat and travel across the state and the southeast United States.

smokestack lightning
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 02/23/09 12:47 AM
Ok, I should also introduce myself. Long time road food explorer-grew up in Chicago area not far from Michael Stern and was lucky to have a father who was into all types of Chicago roadfood-hot dogs, Italian beef, pizza, etc. Then spent most of my adult life in California-burritos seafood etc. ( By the way my view of roadfood is wider than many peoples- sushi and smoothies in California, good steaks in Chicago, etc,) A decade of travelling in the South-mostly Mississippi and Memphis and Louisiana making music films added to my roadfood explorations and finally just returned to the SF Bay area from a few years in Savannah. After lurking for awhile I decided to join and post and perhaps adda few places and ideas and learn some as well.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 02/23/09 1:17 AM
Welcome, 'Querperman and Smokestack!  I think you've both probably been lurking awhile, so I don't need to tell you that you'll find both of your passions well represented here on this site.

Tread lightly at first, and play it safe.  That's my only advice!

Smokestack, I like your name.  How did you come up with it?  Oh, and do you know my BIL, Robert, in San Francisco?  LOL.

Welcome, gentlemen... 

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 02/23/09 8:59 AM
A big welcome to both QueperMan & smokestack lightning!  Both of you seem to come from very interesting Roadfood backgrounds and experiences.  I am very much looking forward to your contributions here.

QueperMan-
I am going to be in eastern North Carolina in two weeks.  What is the one must-eat bbq place I should visit?

Nancypalooza
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 02/23/09 10:18 AM
mjsneddon, buffetbuster shares a part of y'alls new travel passion--he likes to visit college campuses as well and I believe has an impressive collection of t-shirts and sweatshirts.  It's funny how much college towns, even though they each have something unique about them, are just alike.  And are typically good places to find great places to eat.  Welcome!

smokestack lightning
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 02/23/09 5:47 PM
Thanks for the kind welcomes.

Pwingsx- Howlin' Wolf the blues singer was the inspiration for the name. I am making a film on him.

Buffetbuster-enjoy your trip reports. If you like collge sweatshirts and stuff check out Delta State University next time you are in Mississippi-their mascot is  (unofficially) the  Fighting Okra!!

Look forward to meeting many of you in our roadfood travels.

dinska
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 03/21/09 5:45 PM
Just thought I would post here before it gets a bit late to introduce myself. :P

Your average Bulgarian-American midwestern former chef, I have many happy childhood memories of going from greasy spoon to greasy spoon (Greek coffee shops, that really are not all Greek, half are macedonian, bulgarian, albanian, etc.) with my dad, eating and playing with the jukebox while he and the owners would reminisce about the old country.

Not to mention all those north woods vacations with great fish and goodies at the local restaurants.

I eat bulgarian food every day, but my personal favorite cuisine is German food. I've always been big on food served in natural containers. Was once a macrobiotic vegan as well, and nearly became a personal trainer, so big on that kind of eating as well.
<message edited by dinska on Sat, 03/21/09 5:48 PM>

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 03/21/09 5:49 PM
Dinska, enjoy the site and we are glad to have you posting.  Your Bulgarian ethnicity will interest many.  We are anxious to hear about your food experiences as this is what this site is all about..

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

kland01s
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 03/24/09 10:15 AM
Dinska, I'm just a little south of St Charles and wander up your way from time to time. I'd love some tips on good places to eat, we enjoy all sorts of ethnic food but a good diner works too!

dinska
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 03/24/09 6:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys, nice to 'meet' you. I get down to both of your haunts, really. Kland01s' more than the former, of course.

LoyalTubist
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 03/25/09 3:43 AM
I'm not new but I don't have many posts here...

This is my latest blog. It has some bad language (which I don't normally use) but it will help you understand my life.

Bill

http://accidentexpat.blogspot.com/

Nautidog
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 03/30/09 10:44 PM
Ohh blimey i don't look around this forum enough....lol

Stands up *waves*

Hi.  I am pretty new to Roadfood and have only been recently posting in one section.

A little about me. Mom of four very beautiful children Born in Canada but spent 22 yrs living and working in Europe. Returned home to my native land eight yrs ago now and am happy to finally be back home. 
I used to own a hair and beauty salon back in the UK did that for sixteen yrs before selling up and returning home back to Canada.  It was only last year that i thought about starting up my own dog business and now here i am eight months later with my own dog business.
I love this forum and have learnt alot.
I'm an outdoors gal i love to be on or by the water with a rod in my hand and a timmies in the other...lol...I live & breath to fish its a passion for me. I'm also a huge animal lover and have two dogs,one cat, a rat ,two tropical aquariums and eight parrots. Did i mention i love animals>....?lol.

I now reside in a small port fishing town by lake Erie. Port dover which is famous for its perch and friday the 13th Bikers event. Every friday 13th thousands of bikers ride to dover for this big event and our small town is taken over by over one hundred thousand people and is alot of fun.
We have great restaurants beautiful beach and awesome fishing.....

Moi hanging out on the beach with one of my pups here in Port dover.

Nice to meet ya'll ;)

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 04/5/09 7:32 PM
Welcome Tubist and Nautidog!

EmptyHighway
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 04/12/09 2:21 PM
Hi,   My name is Scott,  Emptyhighway, In Texas allot of the back roads that I travel are Empty, So ,go figure.  Im in the music biusness & travel allot & will eat just about anything, have been a long time lurker, but finally joined today, will start posting soon, I have been traveling the roads for over 23 years,  & have been eating in allot of out of the way places, from fancy restaurants 2 BBQ shacks. My brother, Papajoe8.... has posted on here a little bit.  (um..over 4000 times) lol,,,,,,,,,,  im single, no children, so i dont do Mc Donalds or Burger K,   Will start Posting soon.    EmptyHighway ! 
<message edited by EmptyHighway on Sun, 04/12/09 2:24 PM>

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 04/12/09 4:04 PM
Welcome Scott--if your relation to Joe is any indication you'll be starting trouble soon.  :)  Tell me, does he ever bring Bay Corn to Christmas?

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 04/12/09 5:54 PM
Nancy, Scott missed tha Christmas party where I served the Buffalo Bay Corn. I must make a new Bay Corn recipe for his next visit. Hmmm???  :~)
Joe

cdnfoodie
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 04/12/09 11:31 PM
Hi. I just joined today. I don't do much Roadfood as don't get away much but love reading about it. The reason I joined today was I was using my Square Meals book by Jane and Michael as I love the recipe for Maggie's Coca-Cola basted ham for Easter Dinner. I decided to look up the book and came across the forum. Been reading on and off today as I prepared Easter dinner. Kate

EmptyHighway
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 04/14/09 9:38 AM
Hi Nancy, Thanks for the welcome, my bro Joe has somwhat of a  disorder, I really dont know what is is & nether do his many Dr's, hez just 2 nice, he doset know any cuss words , he never lies, he is never late on his bills,  & never cheated on anything, including solitair. Just an all around minch, Im sure he has never caused any trouble on RF..........        , "Wink"  Scott  

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 04/14/09 9:45 AM
Welcome Kate!  I get a lot of recipes from the recipe & cooking tips forum, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the site as well.

me makes the pointing-from-my-eyes-to-yours thing at Scott.  :)

Bush Pilot
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 11:53 AM
Hi:
Hi just joined. Thought it might be interesting as I'm traveling around the country for the next few 3 months on a motorcycle.
Yesterday I submitted a couple of restaurants I found to be wonderful in some obscure parts of the country.
I just checked and saw that they didn't get posted,
probably being screened to protect the precious advertisers.............how boring.
 I probably wont bother submitting again.
Seems like a lot of the submissions are restaurant owner spam......really boring!
also the forum doesn't support the firefox spellchecker, this will probably be my only post.

<message edited by Bush Pilot on Wed, 04/15/09 11:56 AM>

kland01s
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 12:29 PM
Bush Pilot, don't go away! We will want to hear about your travels around the country! BTW, I have been traveling to Santa Fe for 25 years now, love the place and have good friends there. Stick around.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 1:24 PM
Bush Pilot

Hi:
Hi just joined. Thought it might be interesting as I'm traveling around the country for the next few 3 months on a motorcycle.
Yesterday I submitted a couple of restaurants I found to be wonderful in some obscure parts of the country.
I just checked and saw that they didn't get posted,
probably being screened to protect the precious advertisers.............how boring.
I probably wont bother submitting again.
Seems like a lot of the submissions are restaurant owner spam......really boring!
also the forum doesn't support the firefox spellchecker, this will probably be my only post.

You are free to post anything (as long as it doesn't violate forum rules) in the appropriate sections of the forum without any review or waiting. Formal reviews submitted for the restaurant section are reviewed to be sure they are complete. There is not a large paid staff waiting to leap into action when you submit something, so the process may take a couple of days. 

The forum does have a built in spell check.

PapaJoe8
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 2:02 PM
Nancy, I am thinking about Bay Corn Scampi for my bros Scott's next visit. :~)
Joe

PapaJoe8
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 2:02 PM
Nancy, I am thinking about Bay Corn Scampi for my bro Scott's next visit. :~)
Joe

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 3:55 PM
C'mon, Bush Pilot, give roadfood.com a chance! It's a great website and, if you stick around, you'll find that we're all a pretty decent bunch of folks. You'll learn about some wonderful places to eat, too.

PapaJoe8
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 04/15/09 4:31 PM
Nicely said NC!
Joe

Buffalo Tarheel
  • Total Posts : 492
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 04/17/09 4:26 PM
Nocarolina and PapaJoe8,

You are so right about this being a great site with people who are a pleasure to be around.  I've only been posting for about a year or so but have gotten tremendously kind responses.  I've been fortunate enough to meet a few folks already and have really enjoyed meeting them.  To the new members, welcome and jump on in.  You'll find this an informative site, and you'll learn stuff that you never thought of before (such as how good New Haven pizza is, for example).

Jams
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 05/1/09 2:33 AM
Haven't really got a feel for it yet (posting that is...)   I sort of snuck on 'cause I'm from Australia and I am planning a trip over to your country and found this wonderful site....I love food and it's good to get a feel for what I'm in for.    We are planning to drive from New Orleans to Los Angeles...I know it's a long haul...me and my buddy Daryl have been in the transport industry here in Oz for years so we are looking forward to the miles and miles and miles...We are going to buy a car instead of rent one.  Anyway BIG hello to all you people

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 05/1/09 8:04 AM

Hello Jams, Welcome to RF !! It's a lot of fun. I especially enjoy the silly arguements about condiments...  Please keep posting and tell us about Aussie food, I'm curious to know if it's divided into regional specialty areas ie: Southern bbq in Mel. lobsters in Cairns smoothies in Perth?! Hmmm interesting.   Enjoy your trip!!  Peace, Dawn   

ysumlin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 05/22/09 1:00 AM
Hello everyone I am a new guy. I hope I can be a good service to everyone here. I am a wholesale food distributor that research what new food trends are going on in the U.S. We are located in Kemah, Texas 19 miles south of Houston. Our best products are cajun and seafood, however we carry all USDA approved meats. I guess that is all about me, I just want to be a good member and willing to help anyway I can. Thanks.

mjsneddon
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 05/28/09 9:20 PM
Greetings All:

I had decided that eating is much more than an mere act of sustenance.  It has attained the status of at least a hobby for me and my wife.  So, you can imagine my delight in finding Roadfood.com - a chance to associate with others of my own kind.

My wife and I like to travel, usually by car, taking the backroads as much as possible and eating mostly in mom-and-pop owned restaurants.  Roadfood.com has been a great help in our quest to find yet another interesting place to eat!

I am an aging baby-boomer (born in 1947).  We have two grown sons, two daughters-in-law and three grandchildren, all of whom we enjoy immensely.  We count ourselves blessed to live not more than two hours or so from them.  We have lived in east-central Illinois since 1982 - Mattoon is a town of less than 20,000 - three hours south of Chicago, 2.4 hours northeast of St. Louis and two hours west of Indianapolis.  In our travels, we like to attend small town festivals which include music of one type or another - and food!

That's it for me for now, I guess.

Mike Sneddon
Mattoon, IL

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 05/28/09 10:11 PM
Hello to jams, ysumlin and to Mike.  Jams that's a fun drive; I did it about ten years ago at Christmas and you will definitely find a few things to eat along the way.

InsideMan
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 06/5/09 1:21 PM
How are you, not sure if I'm in the right place so I thought I should ask. I own a service company with many associates involved in the installation, maintenance and service of food service equipment in Connecticut. A lot of companies in these industries have gone out of business in the past year and has left this area short on cooking, refrigeration, heating and a/c service contractors. Since this forum already exists what my intentions are as well as to praise the well run and maintained restaurants is to point out what businesses you should avoid. Last year I lost $383,000.00 in unpaid invoices for services rendered to stores and restaurants. Some due to business being slow because of the economy but the majority was just lack of payment by owners that had no intention of paying their bill before they even called me for service. I basically lost my savings which was intended for my daughters college education and she graduates next year and I am facing 3 to 4 thousand dollars a month in tuition payments. Although financially devastating I try to take an objective look at any given set of circumstances and make honest judgments. I am looking for a place where factual information about a restaurant or any food service company can be posted. I am one of the people that go into thousands of restaurants a year and people in my position know exactly what places are safe to eat at and which ones should be avoided at all costs. I am an honest person and run a very honest business. Any information I post would be factual, with pictures that are easily obtained, if requested. And if there is a company out there that owes me money I will not disparage their food or service based on their financial practices and vise versa I will not praise a company based on their ability to pay their bills. Just honest information based on my first hand accounts and the accounts of other service companies. There may be talk of financial matters and disparaging information about places you may have eaten at but anything I post will be 100% accurate or I will keep my opinion on any matters that I am not informed about to myself. Am I in the right Place? If there is already an area on this forum specific to the Connecticut area, can someone point me to it?
<message edited by InsideMan on Fri, 06/5/09 9:08 PM>

gekko
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 07/7/09 1:00 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Jessica and i'm so glad to have joined this forum been in the background for a short while but thought i'd sign in to say Hello. I've got a lot of interests include  photography, music , good food, good wine, cooking ( not a good cook;-))socialising with friends… and of course Travel, Travel and more Travel!Life is too short not to fully enjoy it !
Looking forward to chatting to you soon!

c abro
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 07/20/09 9:57 AM
Hello all,

My niece was fooling around on the web and found an old post about a restaurant my family owned for nearly 30 years and while she was too young to remember the place, I was prompted by my mother (the manager) to reply and correct a minor error. Since I had to register to reply, here I am. After looking around a bit, I decided I liked the place and intend to stick around. This place is a natural for me as I love to eat, (one look at me and it would be obvious) and I'm a truck driver. I currently do short haul and go home every day but I ran from coast to coast for a number of years and the wife and I do several road trips a year. When we hit the road, we're always looking for local flavor when we stop for food. Last July we did a 16 state, 2600 mile loop from here in Indiana to the ocean (Atlantic), all the way up to Kittery, Maine, across to Michigan and back home.

Besides eating and traveling, I play guitar and bass, like to fish when time allows, am a geocacher and a professional message board lurker. We have 1 offspring left at home, currently enrolled at an Indiana University satellite campus, and the wife teaches high school science. But enough about me.

Michael_Germany
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 07/24/09 5:08 PM
Hello Forum!

The first name is Michael, I was born in Munich in the year 1956, son of a german mother and an american father, I was was raised, educated and beloved by my grandparents, who took me back from bavaria to northern germany at the age of 6 months. I Live in Norddeutschland some kilometers north of the city of http://www.bad-zwischenahn.de/index_1280.html

Hobbies: Cycling, Books, Cooking, Motorcycles (HD/DUCATI), Collecting, Classic Horror-Movies from the 1930s/1940s, Music (1960s Soul), Digital Photography (NIKON D40), ...

1966, 10 years young

Kind regards

Michael

desserttime
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 07/26/09 11:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!  I'm also new here and can't wait to meet everyone!  I'm a young professional in the Washington, DC area working in marketing for The Cheesecake Factory.  I love to travel, run, cook, try new restaurants and eat tasty desserts! 

Change Page: << < ..111213141516 > | Showing page 12 of 16, messages 661 to 720 of 945