Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 32
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/01/17 08:53:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_NZ

Gidday there Folks,
Name is Mike and I come from the South Island of New Zealand, small town called Ashburton.
I've been lurking around this forum off and on for the last 6-9 months and thought I would bite the bullet and register.
I don't work in the restaurant industry per se, but I do work as an Electrician that services mainly restaurants, fast-food outlets and service stations (Gas-station).
Really good site you people have here, so good in fact that I usually have to have some food in front of me while viewing this site as it always makes me hungry.
Cheers Guys,
Mike Trump.

I experienced your country on my honeymoon, specfically Nelson and Christchurch on the South Island. Wanted to get to Queenstown and Milford Sound but ran out of time. You are truly blessed living in that country. It's better there.
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/01/28 06:16:02 (permalink)
OK!! I admit I am a luker lolzzz I have a wicked since of humor I try to see the lighter side of life. My name is actually Pamela--48 yrs old-- long long time divorced...not looking...happily single...I am in Dayton,Ohio and fell in love with the Sterns from watching them on PBS and cable channels.When I read their book ''Two for the Road''(loved it)I looked online and found this forum.I lurked a long time before I actually joined. I am glad I did....everyone here is awesome.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/01/29 01:27:29 (permalink)
Pamela

Welcome to RF, I too have enjoyed watching and reading everything the Stern's have out.

Glad you have moved from the ranks of lurker to poster.

oldskeptic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/03 22:28:03 (permalink)
Hi there:

I am a cranky old guy from Southern Utah. I started and ran a place in Zion Canyon called Oscar's Cafe in '91. I tried to make the place as much like an old fashioned cafe as I could. We sold Burritos, Burgers, Beer, Enchiladas, fish tacos, Pozole, and deli sandwiches on rolls that we baked there, and you could watch your food being made for you across the counter; usually by me.

I sold the cafe a few years ago, and the new owners think that baked salom in dill sauce in a corn tortilla is a fish taco, and they are not even from California. They are big fans of Emaril, or whatever his name is. So if you happen to go there don't blame that on me. Or how salty the Guacamole is or how mild the salsa is. I never salted anything that didn't call for it, and my philosophy was, "If you don't like salsa picante there is always kechup, and if you want salt it is on the table."

These days I spend as much time as I can in Mexico, so that I don't have to put up with what is going on up here, and when I can't be in Mexico I try to do something else that agrees with me.

Nice to meet you all.

Oldskeptic.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/04 02:38:24 (permalink)
Welcome Oldskeptic

It is beautiful country out that way!

What part of Mexico do you like best?

CajunKing
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/07 12:42:10 (permalink)
Old Guy,
Where was/is your old cafe? We used to get up to the St George/Cedar City area almost every month..in fact we were in the process of buying land in New Harmony when we decided to come east in 1999. During those trips we usually stayed in Hurricane at the older Best Western. Were you near there?
Stop in again here anytime. Nice to have you as part of the site.
AL
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/07 13:32:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pamelakrest

OK!! ...everyone here is awesome.

Everyone? Wow!
Ranger Steve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/10 14:44:23 (permalink)
I am a retired State Park Ranger in New Jersey, a state that some say is the diner capitol of thw world. I'd say it's at least a contender for that title. I prefer diners and small unpretentious restaurants, but I am also a big fan of Cracker barrel. I also enjoy cooking my own meals, and collect regional cookbooks and cookbooks that are issued by churches, fire dept's, schools, etc as fundraisers. I enjoy ethnic foods, and can be adventurous up to a point (I've had haggis, whale and octopus, but won't eat brains or mountain oysters. The whale was before they were a protected animal).
I love this site, which I came to by way of some of the Sterns' books. Thanks a lot for the great books and website.

Steve
cheff4u
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/11 20:27:33 (permalink)
Hi IM one of those lurkers every ones been talking about.
cheff4u
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/11 20:29:22 (permalink)
Hi IM one of those lurkers every ones been talking about.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13500
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 14:03:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pamelakrest

OK!! I admit I am a luker lolzzz I have a wicked since of humor I try to see the lighter side of life. My name is actually Pamela--48 yrs old-- long long time divorced...not looking...happily single...I am in Dayton,Ohio and fell in love with the Sterns from watching them on PBS and cable channels.When I read their book ''Two for the Road''(loved it)I looked online and found this forum.I lurked a long time before I actually joined. I am glad I did....everyone here is awesome.

I agree that everyone here is awesome, well at least most of us.

Glad you are posting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
al9000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 14:16:39 (permalink)
I am also a lurker.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13500
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 14:22:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by al9000

I am also a lurker.

A lot of lurkers are out there. Don't be shy and share with us what you know about your area and travels.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 14:46:44 (permalink)
quote:

I am also a lurker.

Come on in, the waters fine!
Get your toes wet!
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 14:53:08 (permalink)
yeah, we're harmless.
of course, some of us shave our heads
every now and then....
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 17:01:34 (permalink)
quote:

I am also a lurker.

Oddly enough I find that mildly exciting!
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/21 17:08:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

yeah, some of us shave our heads
every now and then....

Xannie you too" />! I kinda go for the Uncle Fester look and for the most part succeed.

< Me! Oh my...I just realized there all me" />!!!
Bistro Owner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/28 16:48:57 (permalink)
Haven't been "lurking" long, but have just found this forum. I'll admit, I've been a regular poster of a couple of other forums for the last few years. Interesting topics here on roadfood though, especially nice to read the reviews for traveling down the road.

I'm originally from Michigan, but now reside in beautiful Central Virginia. I have been in the restaurant game for 25 years, both FOH and BOH, Hourly, Management and finally an Owner. The most exciting thing I have to share is that my daughter has been accepted to College and we are in the process of selling our restaurant (Sweet Peas Neighborhood Bistro & Pour House) through a National Essay Contest in order to move to Florida where she will be attending school. It's an exciting time for all involved, and I am lookig forward to sharing a "gift" with someone who has a passion for the biz. I would love to chat with anyone who may be interested, and realize there are skeptics among us whe may have some tough questions for me. Most of all, I look forward to getting to know those of you on this forum!
Space
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/02/28 23:57:10 (permalink)
Another casual lurker here...

My real name is Scott, but depending on the person, I also go by Huey, Hubert, Mr. P, Brainiac, Space, Oswald, or Bubba Ray. I'm a Texan by birth, and a Floridian by circumstance for the last 23 years. I was recently told that I'm diabetic, which severely cramps my eating style...save for that visit to the Mesa Grill in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. When I'm not working at my Dilbert-esque job, I like a decent meal, a fine cigar, jazz, poker, stand-up comedy, sports video games, a good World War II movie, and I'm convinced I should have grown up in Rat Pack era Vegas.

I'm a 31-year-old perpetual optimist...maybe to a fault...who would rather make minimum wage in a job I love as opposed to three times what I earn now in a job I hate. Call me crazy.......
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/02 17:10:01 (permalink)
What a great synopsis!
Welcome to Roadfood, Scott....
And as I always say,,"Don't be shy!"
apremerson
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/08 20:07:18 (permalink)
I'm not so much a new poster as a rare poster. I am Charles, but most people call me by middle name which I hate, so I'm not telling you what it is. I am also called Cat by some people. It started out as Cat-Boy, but has since been shortened, I suppose because I am almost 40 and the use of "boy" is pushing it.

I am a semi-employed gardener (and by that, I mean gardener, not landscaper or something else lofty like that) who lives in Northern California. I like food and I like naps, which is probably why I identify with the cat so well.

I am single and that will not change without subterfuge or drugs.

I know that California is the subject of many negative comments around here, most relating to the overuse of cilantro and avocados (entirely true), but there is good food to be found in California. I live in the East Bay in an area with a huge and varied Middle Eastern population, and all of them are represented in restaurants. In addition, there are taco places in the Mission district of SFO that are top-notch. Oh, the restaurants in SFO . . . And in Oakland you can get decent BBQ or even chicken and waffles.

As I said, I do not post regularly, but I have benefitted from restaurant suggestions and recipes from others who do.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5421
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/15 01:35:02 (permalink)
I wanted to warn ya'all about a new member, dickestep. I've known Dick all my life, he's a 1st cousin on my Moms side. He's only been on 3 or 4 days and has already reached 50 or so posts.

Dick, get in here and tell these fine folks a bit about yourself.

MikeS.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/25 12:52:14 (permalink)
Hello all.
I'm 30 years old of Mexican descent, married and a mom of two who stays home. I don't like to say "I don't work" because for those of you who do stay home with the kids you know exactly what I'm talking about. I love it, though. I like being home and taking care of my kids and my husband.
I live in south texas and have a Bachelor's in Anthropology...i meant to go into forensics but kids and family kind of changed things around.
I LOVE food. I LOVE to eat. I can easily enjoy a meal of steak and potatoes with a salad as I will a homemade tortilla slathered with butter.
I try not to eat out too much though because it can be expensive especially on one income. So I really try to cook everyday, two or three times a day!! *whew* But when we do go out to eat it's usually hole-in-the-wall places--the best!
I love all fried foods, pork chops and fried chicken are tied at#1 and I can easily drink two quarts of sweet iced tea a day!! *bad girl!*
I don't remember how I got on this site but I'm still learning my way around it, please be patient if I post something that has already been discussed before.
Oh and my favorite foods aside from those I mentioned above; not in any order:

hot dogs
any kind of bread or roll
tamales
chicken alfredo
Manwich
pizza
juicy cheeseburgers
steak with fat on it
bbq: brisket and sausage specifically

Yvette

Daydrmr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/27 14:39:13 (permalink)
Hello everyone. I finally signed into Roadfood. I enjoy this site very much and have been for at least the past 6 months now. I'm 35, single female from Syracuse New York.
YellowstoneLoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/03/27 22:45:08 (permalink)
Another infrequent poster here...although in fairness, that may be about to change! My wife and I recently retired from our jobs as symphony muscians, so we now have time on our hands.

We both love to take road trips..most of our travels so far have been to Wisconsin (we both grew up there and are thinking of moving back) and our long annual pilgrimages to the West...usually the Rockies are the destination, all the way from Colorado to the Canadian border. Even traveling the interstates we stop in the small towns to check out the local restaurants...we have friends that think we're crazy to plan mileage, stops, etc. around eating, but hey...that's what we like! The Lake Superior Circle Tour is on the list for this fall, and the southwest and Maine won't be too far behind.

Anyway..looking forward to spending more time here, both reading and contributing!

Art and Christine
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/04/07 19:05:52 (permalink)
Another newbie to Roadfood...

I'm 24 and a graduate student in Northeast Tennessee (Tri-Cities area.) I'm currently working on my Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences, most likely concentrating my studies in either forensic or clinical toxicology. We'll see. haha I was born and raised just outside of Indianapolis but came down here 5 1/2 years ago for my undergrad and never left. :-) Wonderful area! Anyway, I love to cook and learn new things... my favorite is baking, but I'm learning to make other things as well. Glad to "meet" everyone here!
rachelcb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/04/10 13:53:03 (permalink)
Rachel. Originally from the great state of Ohio, moved to Boston for grad school, then moved to London and just moved to LA. Phew! Nice to meet ya'll :)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/04/10 18:59:28 (permalink)
Rachel and Angel, And a bunch of others who have introduced themselves here recently...
Welcome to Roadfood. We hope you will make friends here and share experiences regarding food and travel.

AL
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/04/15 21:23:09 (permalink)
YellowstoneLoon,

Welcome to Roadfood.com. I think you will enjoy the Lake Superior Circle Tour. Three towns you MUST plan to stop in for an overnight are Grand Marias, Michigan and Rossport, Ontario and Grand Marais, Minnesota. There are many others but plan those three as destination stops. You won't be disappointed for character and good roadfood stops.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2007/04/17 12:08:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

YellowstoneLoon,

Welcome to Roadfood.com. I think you will enjoy the Lake Superior Circle Tour. Three towns you MUST plan to stop in for an overnight are Grand Marias, Michigan and Rossport, Ontario and Grand Marais, Minnesota. There are many others but plan those three as destination stops. You won't be disappointed for character and good roadfood stops.

The Circle Tour is a wonderful trip with so many interesting towns and places to visit. The only downside is when Minnesota widened and took some of the kinks out of Rte. 61, they took the road away from some of the beautiful views of Superior. Also this stretch of road is heavily traveled by large trucks flying along from the taconite mines. They can be pretty scary.

http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.com/
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1