The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 23 of 32, messages 661 to 690 of 945
carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/9/09 12:01 AM (permalink)
Greetings, fellow roadfooders ( roadfoodies? ) My name's Bob, and last week I made the grand transition from long-time lurker to poster. I'm a 56 year-old railroad employee; or rather I was - I just had to take an early retirement due to injuries from a slip-and-fall accident ( broken hip, shattered wrist....ouch! ) 2008 was a REALLY BAD year. But I'm still alive, soooo..... I bought my first copy of Roadfood back in 1980, and I've eaten in about 50 "official" roadfood eateries over the years since. My father was from Mount Airy NC, where he went to grade school with Andy Griffith ( honest! )
My many roadtrips down to NC to visit relatives have given me the opportunity to eat in many famed RF places, such as Mary Mac's, Bob Sykes, the Ridgewood, the Beacon, and Snappy Lunch ( duh! ) I love to eat out, and I'm really enjoying participating in this site.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/9/09 5:29 AM (permalink)
    Well,welcome to the posting ranks....I spent many summers in the North Carolina mountains, in Burnsville,in Yancey County...beautiful spot!!! Glad to have you aboard!

JoseyWales

• Total Posts: 10
      Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/16/09 3:07 PM (permalink)
        Once upon a time in Eastern Tennessee was a small BBQ joint called Backwoods BBQ and Ribs. The "Roadies" visited and for quite a while I was a successful restauranteur. Alas, the EX wife did not quite relish the glamour of fine BBQ and we dissolved the business after two years.
        I had always missed the business and find myself contemplating doing it again. I may be crazy but I just love to smoke BBQ and meet new friends that pass by my place. It will not be in East Tennessee this time, perhaps Kentucky.
        I have a passion for all things meat and smoke related. Sauces, slaw, home made desserts......comfort food I suppose. Big portions and fair prices. I am older and now in command of my own destiny again. It may take a year or more to do this but the saliva is flowing from this rabid BBQ'ers chapped lips again.
        Don'y try to discourage me, I know it's a tough go but worth the struggle.
      Those who dined on the fine ribs and pulled pork know what I am capable of. I am now working my skills and feeding friends locally in North Carolina, see y'all soon, I hope.

Glad to be back on the Forums again. They call me Josey Wales. I used to go by ...................

Sundancer7

Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/16/09 3:13 PM (permalink)
        JoseyWales

Once upon a time in Eastern Tennessee was a small BBQ joint called Backwoods BBQ and Ribs. The "Roadies" visited and for quite a while I was a successful restauranteur. Alas, the EX wife did not quite relish the glamour of fine BBQ and we dissolved the business after two years.
          I had always missed the business and find myself contemplating doing it again. I may be crazy but I just love to smoke BBQ and meet new friends that pass by my place. It will not be in East Tennessee this time, perhaps Kentucky.
          I have a passion for all things meat and smoke related. Sauces, slaw, home made desserts......comfort food I suppose. Big portions and fair prices. I am older and now in command of my own destiny again. It may take a year or more to do this but the saliva is flowing from this rabid BBQ'ers chapped lips again.
          Don'y try to discourage me, I know it's a tough go but worth the struggle.
        Those who dined on the fine ribs and pulled pork know what I am capable of. I am now working my skills and feeding friends locally in North Carolina, see y'all soon, I hope.

Glad to be back on the Forums again. They call me Josey Wales. I used to go by ...................

I recall you and your place in Erwin TN was very good.  I still think there is a place for you in Knoxville, TN.

Knoxville has no real good BBQ places and I think your idea would work here.

Please stay in touch.

Paul E. Smith
        knoxville, TN

JoseyWales

Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/16/09 3:24 PM (permalink)
          Howdy Paul, and thanks so very much for remembering me and thanks for coming down to the place. I do sooooooo miss the friends that I made and will be making the long trek to a comeback. Perhaps Knoxville, depends on the economy rebounding and how things develope for me. So very good to hear from you my friend. You know of my passion. I am close to you, but have too many irons in the fire at this time. Look forward to getting back to the basics again. Again, THANK YOU. I am smiling again.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 01/16/09 6:05 PM (permalink)
            Outlaw - Welcome to RF

We can ALWAYS use more good BBQ shacks, look forward to hearing more from you.

CajunKing

JoseyWales

Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Tue, 01/20/09 6:51 AM (permalink)
              Thanks Cajun King. I do like my crawfish boils, suckin'heads and squeezin' tails.

EFP4ME

• Total Posts: 5
                Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sat, 01/24/09 2:31 PM (permalink)
                I'm Allan and decided to visit this site after hearing about the upcoming street festival in NOLA.

I attended the Ephraim Faience Pottery Holiday Fest in Madison, Wi this past December and overheard some people in the bar at the Madison Sheraton, the hotel where the event I was attending was held, discussing this site and your upcoming event. So, whoever among you that may have been... Thanks! These forums have been an interesting read and many of the reviews helpful. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable writing one of my own.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                  Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sat, 01/24/09 3:00 PM (permalink)
                  I wish the woman who began this thread would come back. I miss Lone Star's contributions.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sat, 01/24/09 6:52 PM (permalink)
                    nocarolina

Greetings, fellow roadfooders ( roadfoodies? ) My name's Bob, and last week I made the grand transition from long-time lurker to poster. I'm a 56 year-old railroad employee; or rather I was - I just had to take an early retirement due to injuries from a slip-and-fall accident ( broken hip, shattered wrist....ouch! ) 2008 was a REALLY BAD year. But I'm still alive, soooo.....

Gosh Bob, go break a leg and you could probably surpass Michael Hoffman in the number of posts by next week.

jr.

• Total Posts: 14
                      RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sun, 01/25/09 1:50 AM (permalink)
                      hello everyone,, I'm Jr. I found this site looking around for some diff. places to eat on our vac. this summer. the vac. will be a food road trip spanning about 2 weeks so far on the list is hillbilly hotdogs (lesage wv), tony packos (toledo oh), anchor bar (buffalo ny), pats king of steaks (philly pa). looking to add 2 more stops.
                       anyway, love the site it should be very helpful to me.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sun, 01/25/09 7:50 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman

I wish the woman who began this thread would come back. I miss Lone Star's contributions.

I agree Michael, she was always an interesting person. I would like to see her return also but her absence is understandable.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                          Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 01/26/09 9:32 AM (permalink)

Hi Jr!  sounds like a cool trip.....Don't forget to get a beef on weck while in upstate N.Y. mmmmmm  so salty, so delicious, so far away !!      Dawn

buffetbuster

Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 01/26/09 9:45 AM (permalink)
                            EFP4ME

I'm Allan and decided to visit this site after hearing about the upcoming street festival in NOLA.

I attended the Ephraim Faience Pottery Holiday Fest in Madison, Wi this past December and overheard some people in the bar at the Madison Sheraton, the hotel where the event I was attending was held, discussing this site and your upcoming event. So, whoever among you that may have been... Thanks! These forums have been an interesting read and many of the reviews helpful. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable writing one of my own.
                            Welcome to Roadfood Allan!  I don't know if you checked out the recent trip report while I was in Mississippi, but I love your home state!  Are you going to join us in NOLA?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 01/26/09 2:43 PM (permalink)
                              Alan,
                               Welcome to the group!! We hope you find your visits informative.
                                We have family in Baraboo, so we visit your area a couple of times a year to check out the Grandkids etc.  We have enjoyed every visit (but don't visit in the winter!!!)

NOTE to others- We miss Kelly (Lone Star ) A Lot ! We hope she is well.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 01/26/09 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                kland01s

Michael Hoffman

I agree Michael, she was always an interesting person. I would like to see her return also but her absence is understandable.

Oh, sure it's understandable. But I miss her.

jr.

• Total Posts: 14
                                  Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 01/26/09 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                  AHI MPLS

Hi Jr!  sounds like a cool trip.....Don't forget to get a beef on weck while in upstate N.Y. mmmmmm  so salty, so delicious, so far away !!      Dawn

i'm sure i'll try one. We'll be stopping by a friends place in Binghamton NY, i'll ask where i can find a beef on weck.

JR.
                                  <message edited by jr. on Mon, 01/26/09 9:38 PM>

EFP4ME

• Total Posts: 5
                                    Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Wed, 01/28/09 12:28 AM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for the warm welcome! I do intend to attend the NOLA street festival.

Also, I'll definitely have to check out BuffetBuster's latest trip report.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                      Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Thu, 01/29/09 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                      Welcome Allen, Bob, Outlaw and jr--jr you're from my neck of the woods.  I think you'll like it here.

mjsneddon

• Total Posts: 230
                                        Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Thu, 02/5/09 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                        Greetings all:

My name is Mike.  I have been enjoying this website for a while now but only recently started to post.

My wife (of 40 years) and I like to travel and eat good food.  In fact, eating for me has achieved the status of a "hobby".  We have found something that appeals to both our wanderlust and penchant for ethnic food: visiting towns that have a major university.  Currently planning a jaunt in March that will include several more campuses (College Station and Austin, TX, Norman and Stillwater, OK, Fayetteville, AR and Columbia, MO).

We really enjoy small town festivals that feature music and food.  We like to travel mostly by car, taking the "back roads" as much as possible, eating in the mom-and-pop restaurants, visiting with the local folk, and generally enjoying this great land of ours.

We are in our early 60s and are looking forward to retirement in four or five years.  We have two sons, two daughters-in-law, two grandsons and one granddaugher.  The Lord has blessed us richly.

Have a great day.

Mike Sneddon

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Fri, 02/6/09 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                          Welcome aboard, Mike

We have got you by a couple of years and a truckload of Grandkids, but enjoy many of the same things you mentioned. We hope you enjoy your visits here at Rodfood.com and will post your finds for others to enjoy.
                                          AL  Bowen

Msep003

• Total Posts: 1
                                            Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sun, 02/22/09 4:49 AM (permalink)
                                            Hey Everyone !!!!!!

I'd like to introduce myself here because its the right place to do that lol

i'm 24 and i'm from the old continent which is Europe . I'm from France the country of great food too but a different food that you can find in Northern America .

I went to the US a lot and im still going to Northern America  a lot too . My next Destinations is Los Angeles Area and i'm actually looking for some great restaurant and local food too like old style dinners and stuff like that .

I'm also going to Las Vegas for 3 Days and i already tried some gigantic buffet but i need to try more of them .

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                              Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sun, 02/22/09 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                              Welcome to Roadfood....You'll get some great eating ideas if you search the archives here for California and Las Vegas.....and I've enjoyed every trip I've taken to France... What a beautiful place to live!!!!!!!

'QueperMan

• Total Posts: 45
                                                Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sun, 02/22/09 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                Hey Guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell ya'll how much I love this site. I really appreciate the time ya'll have dedicated to making this site as great as it is.  I am currently a student at East Carolina University and have grown up in Eastern NC all my life.  Needless to say, I love BBQ.  I am actually planning on going to dental school in the next couple of years, but my true passion is food and especially BBQ, and it will always play a role in my life.  I look forward to posting my opinions as I eat and travel across the state and the southeast United States.

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                                                  Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 02/23/09 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                                  Ok, I should also introduce myself. Long time road food explorer-grew up in Chicago area not far from Michael Stern and was lucky to have a father who was into all types of Chicago roadfood-hot dogs, Italian beef, pizza, etc. Then spent most of my adult life in California-burritos seafood etc. ( By the way my view of roadfood is wider than many peoples- sushi and smoothies in California, good steaks in Chicago, etc,) A decade of travelling in the South-mostly Mississippi and Memphis and Louisiana making music films added to my roadfood explorations and finally just returned to the SF Bay area from a few years in Savannah. After lurking for awhile I decided to join and post and perhaps adda few places and ideas and learn some as well.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                                    • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                                    Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 02/23/09 1:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    Welcome, 'Querperman and Smokestack!  I think you've both probably been lurking awhile, so I don't need to tell you that you'll find both of your passions well represented here on this site.

Tread lightly at first, and play it safe.  That's my only advice!

Smokestack, I like your name.  How did you come up with it?  Oh, and do you know my BIL, Robert, in San Francisco?  LOL.

Welcome, gentlemen... 

buffetbuster

Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 02/23/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      A big welcome to both QueperMan & smokestack lightning!  Both of you seem to come from very interesting Roadfood backgrounds and experiences.  I am very much looking forward to your contributions here.

QueperMan-
                                                      I am going to be in eastern North Carolina in two weeks.  What is the one must-eat bbq place I should visit?

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                                        • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 02/23/09 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        mjsneddon, buffetbuster shares a part of y'alls new travel passion--he likes to visit college campuses as well and I believe has an impressive collection of t-shirts and sweatshirts.  It's funny how much college towns, even though they each have something unique about them, are just alike.  And are typically good places to find great places to eat.  Welcome!

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                                                          • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                          Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Mon, 02/23/09 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                                          Thanks for the kind welcomes.

Pwingsx- Howlin' Wolf the blues singer was the inspiration for the name. I am making a film on him.

Buffetbuster-enjoy your trip reports. If you like collge sweatshirts and stuff check out Delta State University next time you are in Mississippi-their mascot is  (unofficially) the  Fighting Okra!!

Look forward to meeting many of you in our roadfood travels.

dinska

• Total Posts: 22
                                                            • Location: Arlington Heights, IL
                                                            Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! Sat, 03/21/09 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            Just thought I would post here before it gets a bit late to introduce myself. :P

Your average Bulgarian-American midwestern former chef, I have many happy childhood memories of going from greasy spoon to greasy spoon (Greek coffee shops, that really are not all Greek, half are macedonian, bulgarian, albanian, etc.) with my dad, eating and playing with the jukebox while he and the owners would reminisce about the old country.

Not to mention all those north woods vacations with great fish and goodies at the local restaurants.

I eat bulgarian food every day, but my personal favorite cuisine is German food. I've always been big on food served in natural containers. Was once a macrobiotic vegan as well, and nearly became a personal trainer, so big on that kind of eating as well.
                                                            <message edited by dinska on Sat, 03/21/09 5:48 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 23 of 32, messages 661 to 690 of 945

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com