Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 32
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/01 14:54:49 (permalink)
welcome, intelligentT82.  Your nick already gives you a leg up on the rest of us so you should have a good time here.  :)
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/01 16:03:26 (permalink)
IntelligentT82

What's goin on RF peoples?  Just wanted to come through and introduce myself.  I was born and raised in Kalamazoo, Michigan, but now live in the DC area in Alexandria Virginia.  I found this website probably doing some kind of random search about a particular restaurant on a search engine.  I love food...as we all do.  I am the type of person that will eat anything or anywhere at least once.  I love my Midwest flavors still but DC is growing on me.  I'm always up for a good comparation discussion or photo posts topic

Welcome. You've already added some informative posts. Glad to have another DC-er here on roadfood. (we're all from somewhere else)
dane18
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/01 19:43:08 (permalink)
Hey everybody! I am a country girl living on land that was my mother's family's cotton land and I have here lived in Greenville, SC all of my 53 years. I always want to avoid chain restaurants when traveling but my husband gets a little embarassed when we stop for gas and I start asking locals where to eat. I have traveled to several places in the US and to Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy and Ireland with my husband on business trips. I guess bbq is my favorite and that is why I found this site. I like the mustard based sauce and love hash, too, but always want to try different types wherever I go. I am driving to the Daytona 500 down SC 26, getting on I-95 right before GA and ending up in New Smyrna Beach, FL. Yes, I am a NASCAR fan and I am proud of it! I wasn't very interested in it until about 5 years ago when my daddy found out he had brain cancer and while he was sick that was all we could talk about that would give us a common interest and diversion -my moma had passed away from Alzheimer's 2 years before and he never stopped missing her. I had never been to Daytona, and only to a few races, and all AFTER he passed. He and my moma went to Daytona every year and left me (the only child) at home with Grandma and my 2 aunts (who have no children) then they went to the Keys. So I am driving down with my husband, who couldn't care less about going to a race - just making me happy. I feel like I am honoring my daddy or channeling him or something by following NASCAR. Plus, besides cooking, gardening, canning vegetables, reading (when I have time), photography, college football and taking care of my last 92 year old aunt and our 6 grandkids - the 2 year old 4 days a week, I need another interest and we need a good excuse to get out of town!  I make all of the arrrangements for these trips and plan where and when we do everything, so he gets to kick back and enjoy and laugh his butt off at me acting like a real REDNECK! He just stands far away from me and laughs and takes my picture! I have been to Trip Advisor and had pretty good success with their recommendations, but was referred  here for this trip. We went to the last race in Homestead-Miami in November - then the Keys and all advisors at TA sent us to the Hungry Tarpon, in Islamorada which we would NEVER have found on our own, but it turned out to be great. I would love to be a photo journalist and do bbq stories all over the country, or be a judge at the competitions. I have been to the Blue Ridge BBQ Festival in Tryon, NC and was in HOG Heaven! When we grill, I have a hard time letting him do anything. He says my cooking is better than any restaurant so why should we go out? Not my goal! I watch the Food Channel, read and collect recipe books, and try new things all the time!
 I know that is my life story -- but HEY- YOU ASKED! My name is Diane and my 2 step daughters always called me that - so the first grand couldn't say Diane and it ended up Dane. So, I am not Nana or Grandma, even to my own daughter's 2 year old - I am Dane.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15208
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/01 19:57:53 (permalink)
Welcome Aboard, Dane. We're glad to have you dropping in. Some of the group will be in the Charleston area in a couple of weeks. Look up the thread on the 'Meet-n'Greet' forum and maybe you'll want to drop in !

Mayor Al
Near Louisville
dane18
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/01 20:07:14 (permalink)
Why thank you Mayor Al! I am glad to be welcomed! I saw the note about the meet and greet and would love to come, my daughter travels to Charleston every weekend to be with her husband - he works at Boeing there. She would love to have me go with her. But I think after our Daytona trip we might have to stick around here - we do have a lot of responsibilities here. I would go in a heartbeat! I went to Folly Beach right after my daddy died for 2 days to get myself together and ended up staying for 10 days. I DO like to travel! (And talk, obviously)!
dane18
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/02 01:03:14 (permalink)
As a newbie and just finding my way around this site, I finally read the page with the Roadfood Crew's bios. Backwards, I know, but looking for places to eat was #1 in this endeavor. Looks like Paul Smith and I may have a little in common. We had BAD ice and sleet here in upstate SC last weekend (and without power for 8 hours) and had some rare birds coming in to eat. I was glad I put fresh food out! Paul, are you going to the Daytona 500 and what is your favorite RACE FOOD? My fave was at Homestead - Miami by a Brazillian style place skewered LARGE sides of beef (I assume) over hot coals, sliced, chopped and served over fries and covered with Chimichurri sauce. And who is your fave driver? And may I add, I AM SOOO excited about going to this big race - you would think I was a kid going to the circus for the first time!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/04 10:25:13 (permalink)
Welcome aboard Dane! Your enthusiasm and sense of adventure is very welcome here!
battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/10 12:35:38 (permalink)
I totally forgot to do this!

I'm battra, I'm 34 and a college student.  These days, and for the past year or more, I've been addicted to a St. Louis local food, the slinger.

Of which I've dedicated way too much of my life to I think. :)

Also a big hockey fan, otaku, linguist, avid reader, future lawyer, nutbar, and totally sane person.

Got hitched in December and living life in a wonderful neighborhood in South St. Louis City. 

Go Blues, Go AC St. Louis, Go Cards and Go Slingers!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10177
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/10 12:56:04 (permalink)
battra-
As a Blues fan, you may be interested in this.  I attended a game in your old arena (can't remember if it was the Checkerdome then or not), and I got to see the only shorthanded hat trick in NHL history.  Theo Fleury scored three shorthanded goals in the same game against the Blues.  At least Doug Gilmour had a ton of points that night for the home team. 
battra
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/10 13:28:47 (permalink)
buffetbuster

battra-
As a Blues fan, you may be interested in this.  I attended a game in your old arena (can't remember if it was the Checkerdome then or not), and I got to see the only shorthanded hat trick in NHL history.  Theo Fleury scored three shorthanded goals in the same game against the Blues.  At least Doug Gilmour had a ton of points that night for the home team. 

Ok, that's pretty darned cool!

That would've been the Checkerdome, but the placed was originally named The St. Louis Arena, and that was the name when it was imploded.

I have three seats from the place.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/10 14:13:23 (permalink)
battra

buffetbuster

battra-

Ok, that's pretty darned cool!

That would've been the Checkerdome, but the placed was originally named The St. Louis Arena, and that was the name when it was imploded.

I have three seats from the place.

I think I saw Quadrophenia there. :)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/02/10 14:37:26 (permalink)
bill voss-
Considering how much I love that Who album, I am very jealous!!!
sandi66
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/03 16:46:04 (permalink)
Hi all.  I am a new poster here.  Found the site while doing some mindless searching.  I live in North Carolina.  My husband and I are big travel and food people.  We truly appreciate a good meal and often times the adventure you had finding it.  We make a yearly trek to New Orleans and it has become one of my favorite places to be!  Love what I see on the site so far and I look forward to making some good friends here!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15208
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/03 17:03:13 (permalink)
Welcome to RF Sandi. We hope you can find the time to explore the site in detail.
lostsheep
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/09 11:54:44 (permalink)
Greetings!
I'm in So. Oregon, specifically, the State of Jefferson. (Long story about that, Bing or Google State of Jefferson).
I'm a long haul truck driver/owner. At least for another few months, less if I can finance my next venture- a hot dog cart business.

I've been a driver since about 1979, with a brief hiatus to learn upholstery and canvas work. I started going coast to coast eight years ago, when I bought my first truck. Now, I'm pretty burned out, and just plain tired of the over-regulation and sub-standard compensation and working conditions.

Hence, the hot dog cart. Perhaps later, if the cart does well, and I hit the Powerball, I'll buy that 36ft Oday sailboat and tour business that guys been trying to sell on eBay for 34G in Costa Rica......
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/09 12:08:42 (permalink)
hey lost, welcome. I'm right down the street from you.
lostsheep
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/09 13:23:14 (permalink)
Really!!

Murphy? Selma? Or Merlin?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/09 13:31:33 (permalink)
lostsheep

Really!!

Murphy? Selma? Or Merlin?

Talent!

http://www.mailtribune.co...NEWS/2280327/-1/COMM10]
post edited by bill voss - 2010/03/09 13:32:54
lostsheep
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/03/09 15:28:47 (permalink)
A decade or so ago, I used to do 'drop n hooks' (meet another driver and swap trailers) at the old Talent truck stop. Ate at the truck stop a couple of times. The truck stop was crummy, but the restaurant was not too bad for breakfast. They've since put a Walmart across the street from the truck stop.
Bhops
Junior Burger
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/04/09 14:41:41 (permalink)
New to the site.... looks like a lot of great information!  Stupid question: does Roadfood have a mission statement?  That is, what qualifies a restaurant as Roadfood worthy? 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/04/09 14:47:10 (permalink)
Bhops-
Welcome to Roadfood!  Try this:

http://www.roadfood.com/FAQ/WhatIsRoadfood.aspx
Bhops
Junior Burger
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/04/09 15:12:16 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Bhops-
Welcome to Roadfood!  Try this:

thanks!  I checked FAQ but didn't see that link. 

tedlovesdogs
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/06/15 23:39:44 (permalink)
I'm embarassed to say I just found this thread even though I joined the site last summer. Thanks to all who've given great tips for the few inquiries I've had.

I enjoy traveling a lot, but don't do nearly as much of it as I'd like to. A couple years ago I bought a MINI, which really increased my appetite for traveling--in fact, I don't know that I'll ever fly again. The MINI's great for traveling the backroads and the small towns!

I hate to see the Mom n' Pop restaurants going under, or for that matter, any of the local businesses. I know, I know...prices are cheaper at the box stores, but we're losing the very fabric of America and that seems like a sad thing to me.

So thanks again for some great suggestions and I look forward to 'chewing the fat' with all of you great folks in the future. 
famousgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/06/29 11:20:28 (permalink)
Hi just found the forum and wanted to say hello to you all
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/06/29 13:22:16 (permalink)
Ted another good friend of mine is a MINI tooler par extraordinaire.  She's fond of driving around with one of those gorilla grip tripods wrapped to her side or rear view mirror and will snap photos on the road.  Enjoy your MINI!

Famousgirl, welcome to roadfood!
tedlovesdogs
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/07/03 07:35:24 (permalink)
Just did a MINI extravaganza last weekend, up to Mt. Washington in NH. Me and about 229 other MINIs went to the top in some of the densest fog and howling winds (though they were pretty tame by Mt. W standards). The year before, it had stormed just before we went up, but it cleared off and the trip up/down and the view from the top were incredible! I guess you just never know how it's going to be up there! Maybe your friend was among us, Nancy? If anybody's interested, here's more info: MINIS on Top .
marence
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/07/12 14:49:50 (permalink)
Hello there! I'm Marence, at least when I'm in front of a computer, which is more hours than I ever want to add up, having a long and sometimes troubled past with computers, starting with my first BASIC class in 1977. (not a typo)
Anyway, I've been lurking for a few years, being relatively new to the whole concept of actually eating roadfood, instead of just reading about it. I was raised in a car-traveling family who never deviated from the safe chains or restaurants at the destination that have been previously vetted by friends or family. In my first marriage, I was exposed to carnival food, but he too preferred the safe haven of McDonalds or Taco Bell when on the road. It wasn't until I met my boyfriend (now husband) that I was able to visit actually roadside attractions and really eat roadfood, and I only lament that it didn't find this wonderment back when I could still eat chili & a good hot sauce.
I can't eat most of my favorite roadfood anymore (chili, doughnuts & other deep-fried stuff, bbq with a good hot & spicy sauce) but I'm always ready to try any BBQ without sauce, or with a mild one, a good cheeseburger, pie, and ice cream. Or nearly anything else without onions and peppers.
I love to cook and bake. The only thing I can't make is a good pie crust, but I'm working on it. I'm gardening again, in a tiny space behind my apartment between the parking lot and the fence. I've been gradually becoming a localvore, although I hate that name. I also hate the word "foodie", but it describe my husband and me. We like to eat really good food, whether it's in a 5-star restaurant, cooked at home, or eaten standing in a parking lot in front of a 55-gallon drum cooker.
When we're not out driving around, our favorite pastime,  my husband works in the music business, and I work on finishing my thesis and making (mostly) short documentary films. Between the two of us, we have 3 daughters, 2 son-in-laws, 1 grandson, and a bunch of grandpets.
My current ambition is to drive around the country making documentaries about the roads, the roadside, and all the cool weird things you can see out there, going beyond the wigwam motels and muffler men and capturing the essence of towns, restaurants, or attractions, and showing people that the journey is the reward. Anyone want to fund me? Just kidding. OK, not kidding. I'm always open for meetings with executive producers...
I'm planning on using the great reviews and road trip reviews posted by you guys here as a reference when we make our late-summer roadtrip, following a 1939 TripTik from Cleveland to Biddleford, Maine and back, using a circle route of mostly US Route 20 to get there, and Route 6 back. I'm looking forward to seafood on US Route 1 from Portland to Boston.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3715
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/07/12 15:13:04 (permalink)
Do you guys have room in your car for me?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/07/12 17:07:18 (permalink)
Welcome aboard Marence! Sounds like you could take the lead for a fair share of us! I'm pretty much home bound disabled now and always happy to "see" travel through others eyes. I look forward to your post, even the very small trips!
marence
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2010/07/14 11:33:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome!
Besides the restaurant reviews and the recipes, I'm pleased to find a place where the food discussions are supplemented by so much obvious enjoyment of not only roadfood but life itself.

And Greymo, we've got a Subaru station wagon - if you can put up with two non-apologetic smokers with a tendency to sing along with nearly everything...
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1