Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 32
Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:33:15 (permalink)
Hi all,

New to Roadfood but have enjoyed it so far. I have tried a couple of places reviewed on the site and have even post a review myself but never saw it posted, oh well, not a biggie for me. Grew up in eastern NC with a stop in Virginia and Florida. Live in the triangle area now ( Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill ) also called college basketball heaven. Some really good eats here as well as some not here I would love to try.

Dennis in Cary,NC
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7281
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:36:13 (permalink)
Welcome to all the new posters!!!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:03:39 (permalink)
Indeed. Howdy and welcome to all!!
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:11:17 (permalink)
Welcome all new posters !!! Especially DixieBrave .... a fellow South Carolinian !!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:13:38 (permalink)
HEY! Where are all the fellow Alaskans???? Oh yeah, right, still in Palm Springs......never mind.
lizardqueen1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:39:28 (permalink)
Hi everyone!I've been checking out this site for awhile now and finally decided to post-from kind of sunny(today anyway) New Hampshire. being on the roadfood site always makes me so hungry!
Burp!
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:41:38 (permalink)
Finally discovering this thread after several posts, allow me to say "howdy!"

I'm a little over a week shy of going over the hill (40), and I have resided about midway between Seattle & Tacoma for 2.5 years. I spent most of my life in San Diego, with 4+ years thrown in working in Yosemite National Park.

I love long drives (other than the copious miles it puts on my vehicle), and great places to eat are a big part of that. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, yet it seems to lay in the shadow of lunch/dinner in the minds of most people. While I'm up for any tips for any meal, any pointers on great breakfast joints will really make my day.

Mark
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 14:55:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Burp!

Finally discovering this thread after several posts, allow me to say "howdy!"

I'm a little over a week shy of going over the hill (40), and I have resided about midway between Seattle & Tacoma for 2.5 years. I spent most of my life in San Diego, with 4+ years thrown in working in Yosemite National Park.

I love long drives (other than the copious miles it puts on my vehicle), and great places to eat are a big part of that. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, yet it seems to lay in the shadow of lunch/dinner in the minds of most people. While I'm up for any tips for any meal, any pointers on great breakfast joints will really make my day.

Mark

There's a GREAT breakfast place just down the street from our house called Gwennie's. Unfortunately it's in Anchorage, Alaska and that would be one LONG DRIVE!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 15:21:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jettababs

Hi, I'm a midwestern foodie. My husband and I do a fair amount of traveling, and we always try to stop at the good local places, especially the ones mentioned in Roadfood. I'm British, so my husband says I'll eat anything, "including airplanes". Not entirely true, but close enough. If we come across some good places that haven't been mentioned here, I'll be sure to post them.

Jettababs...my friend (a Brit) just came back from across the pond and brought me some great little cookbooks. "Favourite New Forest Recipes" and "Favourite Pudding Recipes" (subtitled "Traditional Ways to a Man's Heart" ). Anyway, some of the recipes sound interesting and I would like to try them. I was wondering, what would you recommend as a substitute for black treacle? Or do you have sources for Brit products over here? Or how about aspic jelly? That's not something I see here too often, either. Can I just use white raisins in place of sultanas?

Welcome!
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 15:30:32 (permalink)
You could probably get away with molasses for dark treacle, gelatin for aspic, and sultanas in the States are golden raisins from Thompson grapes.
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 15:39:25 (permalink)
You could also try to find some of the British foods on the BBCAmerica website. I have looked before and they carry quite a few things.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 15:46:18 (permalink)
Meozart: Where are you in Maryland? There is a great British provisions store in Annapolis. Everything from Jelly Babies to salad cream.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 16:01:35 (permalink)
Oooooh...my friend will love to know that! We are 30-45 minutes away, depending on traffic. Thanks Grampy!
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 16:47:26 (permalink)

My job/career is as a professional union stagehand (yes, there's a union for that , my local is 110 years old this year, our International is 112). but I travel extensively throughout the United States. I also travel throughout Michigan for work, so I get a fairly good amount of road food along the way.

Felix.. My BA is in tech. design for theatre and film.. my main focus is in lighting (get it..focus..lighting..oh never mind..LOL)
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 16:30:40 (permalink)
Hi! I'm Nancy and I live in northwest lower Michigan, Traverse City to be more accurate. This is a resort town and I work in the local tourism industry. I have lived here since 1986 and love it, but now that I am divorced and my kids are pretty much on their own, I am planning to move to GA as soon as my youngest graduates college in another year.

I grew up in the Detroit area, and then moved to PA for a short time followed by seven years total in SE TX and two years in Bogor, Indonesia.

I first became familiar with the Sterns books when I checked one out of the library, I think in 1990. I have a rule about not taking library books on vacation, but made an exception with that book. I have bought several others since and just ordered the newest RoadFood book the other day. My brother who loves to travel just as much as I do says that he doesn't travel to eat and so never looks into restaurant info. I also don't travel just to eat, but I figure, you have to eat and going to the local restaurants can add a lot to a vacation, experience wise

OK, can anyone tell me why I my text might not show up blue like I wanted? I first did the [blue] text [blue] thing, and then did the drop down menu and chose blue, still no blue.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 18:32:51 (permalink)
What that SETX is , it sounds like fun...
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 19:49:10 (permalink)
LOL South East Texas
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 19:56:09 (permalink)
Hello! My name is Susan and I live in KnoxVegas, Tn. I'm originally from Munster, In. which is less than an hour from Chicago! What brought me to this wonderful ROADFOOD site was an interest in places that I used to eat when I was growing up! After reading a few posts I felt like family! I've been a vegetarian since last July and have to say you guys make it hard to stick to a meatless diet! I salivated at some of those hamburger seasoning ideas! My husband's name is Rich and we have 3 cats and no kids! I look forward to trying out some of the places mentioned through out this site! I also aspire to someday become a hamburger!!!! My husband finds this a rather amusing goal since I am a vegetarian! Maybe when I make it I'll throw a party...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 20:16:38 (permalink)
Zusser: Where is KnoxvVegas, TN?

I live in Knoxville and I am confused.

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 21:23:45 (permalink)
Sorry, Sundancer and others from from the area-I meant Knoxville!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 21:48:27 (permalink)
Hi Susan! LMK if you make it to Nashville, there's lots of vegetables to choose from here...
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/05 22:37:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

OK, can anyone tell me why I my text might not show up blue like I wanted? I first did the text thing, and then did the drop down menu and chose blue, still no blue.

Hi Rapunzll, my guess is that you didn't select the text with your mouse first before you selected the Color "Blue" from the drop-down box. The text should be highlighted first before you make a color selection.

When I do this, it seems to work ok for me.

I just noticed you were missing a / from your HTML code and after I added one your comment shows the blue in the grey box above. But normally you shouldn't have to worry about HTML tags, just let the system handle it for you.

lleechef
Sirloin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 02:06:14 (permalink)
Hey Rapunzil, Did you ever eat at the Trillium at the Grand Traverse Resort? Or Windows? Or Tapawingo?
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 02:09:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zussers

Hello! My name is Susan I've been a vegetarian since last July....... I also aspire to someday become a hamburger!!!! My husband finds this a rather amusing goal since I am a vegetarian!

Welcome Susan.......

Message to the Sterns here............Just an Idea?

How about identifying the Vegetarian Roadfooders, instead of calling them Hamburgers, They can be Veggie Burgers, then Tofu Veggie Burgers, then Double Tofu Veggie Burgers, etc etc etc. This way we all know who is and isn't Vegetarians?

Just a Thought?
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 03:07:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

Hi! I'm Nancy and I live in northwest lower Michigan, Traverse City to be more accurate. This is a resort town and I work in the local tourism industry.

Welcome to the Roadfood community, Nancy. You live in a very beautiful and interesting area. In the early 80s, I spent several July 4 vacations in a cabin on the Rapid River in Kalkaska county. Lots of day trips into Traverse City for good meals, the beach and rides out the peninsula.

The water was always very cold at the city beaches on July 4 weekends. Adults would generally stay on the sand, but the small children - blue as Blue Boy - were gleefully indifferent to the temperature.
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 07:12:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:
Originally posted by zussers

Hello! My name is Susan I've been a vegetarian since last July....... I also aspire to someday become a hamburger!!!! My husband finds this a rather amusing goal since I am a vegetarian!

Welcome Susan.......

Message to the Sterns here............Just an Idea?

How about identifying the Vegetarian Roadfooders, instead of calling them Hamburgers, They can be Veggie Burgers, then Tofu Veggie Burgers, then Double Tofu Veggie Burgers, etc etc etc. This way we all know who is and isn't Vegetarians?

Just a Thought?

What about those of us who are semi-veggies who don't eat beef at all? I too find it amusing that I'm a hamburger when I don't eat beef due to religious reasons!
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 07:13:20 (permalink)
lleechef- I've been to the Trillium, but have never eaten there, it's not one of the top restaurants in the area to be honest. We are very lucky in this area that we have fantastic restaurants! :-) I have never been to Windows, but it's supposed to be fantastic, Tapawingo I could have gone to a couple of years ago when we had our company Christmas party there, but I was in the middle of a divorce and just didn't feel like being merry. lol My loss....... the dinner, not the husband! <G> I have eaten at the Rowe Inn which is also in Ellsworth and had one of the best meals of my life.

Jim- Yes, it is gorgeous here, but the cost of living is high, so off I go in a couple of years. The saying locally is, 'half my pay is a view of the bay', and I can see West Grand Traverse Bay from my desk at work! lol
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/06 10:48:22 (permalink)
Howdy All.. Name here is Victor, 41 years of age and from the West Michigan Area. Living in a town called Ada (Home of Amway) just east of Grand Rapids. I work in the Lawncare/Landscape/Snowplow industry as a Supervisor. We've just expanded big time and what used to be a seasonal job now has turned into a 12 month deal.. But back when we where seasonal, I fell back on my old trade of cooking during the cold months. My lifes pursuit has been chasing down the perfect Chili Dog! ha ha... I must go now and continue my search.
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/08 21:32:11 (permalink)
OKAY, IT'S ME a/k/a EatBeef. I decided that name doesn't really speak about what I am, so got rid of it!!

I am a legal secretary and I work for the County Attorney here in Oshkosh, Nebraska. I am married to a retired State Trooper, we have two sons, and five grandchildren.

When we travel, we like to avoid the chains and to the roadfood thing. I truly enjoy this website, and do more lurking than posting.

Jean
bluetick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/09 00:49:22 (permalink)
For whatever it's worth, I may have chimed in on a thread or two before, but I am not sure. Essentially, I have lurked here for some time. My name is Scott and I am a Memphian. When given the choice, I usually eschew chain dining. Once, I ate BBQ for 14 out of 21 consecutive days (easy to do when you live in SW Tennessee!). For dinner last night, I ate a slab (1/2 and 1/2, since I had a choice) with homemade chips from a BBQ joint a mere block from my humble abode. I also like a lot of other stuff besides BBQ.

If any of you good folks plan to visit Memphis, I'd welcome a chance to do the meet and greet thing and sample some of the yummy food our fair city has to offer.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1