Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 32
Author
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/26 14:58:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Barney

Frank, Thanks for the welcome! I hate to say this, but Pierce's is one of my least favorite bbq joints. But that is because I am kind of a one dimensional (vinegar/pepper cue) addict. I know lots of folks around the Peninsula drive up there but I just never got into it. But I would assume it's about the same as ever. Where 'bouts are you located? JB

My favorite is the eastern NC w/ vinegar/pepper sauce too. Pierce's has/had a pretty good following over the years. They opened one in downtown Richmond a few years ago but it didn't last. It seems to me that the pork is a little too dry or something nowadays.

I'm in rural Powhatan County, VA, about 35 miles west of Richmond.

Frank

Oops: (edit) I meant to say WELCOME to Farfromhome too!
GourmetteDaisy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/26 15:36:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.
quote]Welcome aboard, kiddo! You'll love it here. Friendly folks, lots of fun, even sympathetic ears if you need them. Feel free to write those of us who have posted contact addresses: you may be teased and twitted and harrassed, but take it in good humor, because behind all the BS we really are a community.

Thanks for the Welcome, Rick. Sympathetic ears (or sometimes just
ears) are always good. "....teased and twitted and harrassed..." ~~~
~~~~ my kind of people

Daisy
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/26 17:24:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin
My favorite is the eastern NC w/ vinegar/pepper sauce too. Pierce's has/had a pretty good following over the years. They opened one in downtown Richmond a few years ago but it didn't last. It seems to me that the pork is a little too dry or something nowadays.
I think the dryness comes from being bred to the current frenzy for low-fat everything. It just doesn't help with pork, and beef producers have gotten around that with the grading system that places marbling as a component of the higher grades!
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/26 19:31:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
I think the dryness comes from being bred to the current frenzy for low-fat everything. It just doesn't help with pork, and beef producers have gotten around that with the grading system that places marbling as a component of the higher grades!

Rick:

I agree about the low fat thing. The Other White Meat is a red flag (to me).

Frank

EDIT: (I'm doing this alot): Welcome Daisy!
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 07:55:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

no doubt that you have seen some of the posts of
our more interesting characters like i95, Grampy, and Ort, but
you'll meet a lot of nice people here

Hey Grampy and Ort, two things:

I'll be "interesting" if the two of you are willing to be "characters."

Secondly, and I'm not a grammarian, however is the word "but" as a rejoinder here (as in, "but you'll meet a lot of nice people here") some type of gang-code for saying, "ignore the rubes that are i95, Grampy and Ort. All three are quite mentally ill"?

Just curious.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 618
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 10:51:45 (permalink)

Curious (aka i95),

Any grammar mistakes are unintentional, since it's one of the
subjects I detest the most along with any form of science and
advanced calculus, among others

Mentally ill/ Insane?? " />

That will be the subject for the next poll on the homepage:
(Mr. Mayor, Meowzart, Stephen, also
known as The Powers That Be, are you listening??) [|)]
let the Roadfoodies decide (although some made up their
minds long ago)
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 11:05:25 (permalink)
I thought I was insane, but know I know I'm not. Everyone else is nuts. As for ORT and i95, here they are at their last pizza party:

berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 11:38:06 (permalink)
Grampy said:
quote:
As for ORT and i95, here they are at their last pizza party:

Guys, I hope that is a nice hazelnut pizza you-all are enjoying.

Funny, some Roadfooders will eat almost anything.
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 12:02:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

no doubt that you have seen some of the posts of
our more interesting characters like i95, Grampy, and Ort, but
you'll meet a lot of nice people here

Hey Grampy and Ort, two things:

I'll be "interesting" if the two of you are willing to be "characters."

Secondly, and I'm not a grammarian, however is the word "but" as a rejoinder here (as in, "but you'll meet a lot of nice people here") some type of gang-code for saying, "ignore the rubes that are i95, Grampy and Ort. All three are quite mentally ill"?

Just curious.

Naw, it means seek out these three for spice and entertainment. And on a nutritional note--studies show nuts are an important part of a healthy diet-so long as it's just a handful...anyway, I'll introduce myself now. I'm Leslie G. and fairly new to this forum. I live in Clarksville, in the state of Middle Tennessee. Originally from the state of East Tennessee. I am a part time teacher (drama) and occasionaly I act for love or money -whichever is available. I love food, always will. Give me a festival with Shakespeare and a corn dog, and I'm in heaven! Thanks to those who welcomed me when I first started posting and welcome to all of y'all who come to this site.
i95
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 12:22:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I thought I was insane, but know I know I'm not. Everyone else is nuts. As for ORT and i95, here they are at their last pizza party:

And here's a shot of Grampy
at this same party:

Note the loner positioning as
if he was saying, "I'm not eating
with those commoners, i95 and Ort. I
am, afterall, an author! Feed me.
Heed me. But always read me."

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 13:21:26 (permalink)
hey Leslie,
Come out and visit us sometime in Southern Oregon. Lots of Shakespeare, and another 10 or 11 other theatre companies in a town of 20,000. Not many corndogs in Ashland though.
Bill
http://www.osfashland.org
Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 13:30:36 (permalink)
From FCBaldwin:

Just got a review from a friend of mine who loves Pierce's BBQ in Williamsburg. She went over the weekend and declared it was as good as it ever was! Judy
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 14:36:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

hey Leslie,
Come out and visit us sometime in Southern Oregon. Lots of Shakespeare, and another 10 or 11 other theatre companies in a town of 20,000. Not many corndogs in Ashland though.
Bill
http://www.osfashland.org

Hey Bill,
I have heard alot about Oregon Shakes' and I've got friends who have worked there. They loved it! Never having ventured farther than Salt Lake City, I know I am due a tour of the west coast. I plan for it in my near future. Ashland will be a sure bet. Thanks, Leslie G.
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 14:44:17 (permalink)
Oh, and thanks for the website. What a wonderful season. Very interesting. Thanks.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 15:26:13 (permalink)
.... Leslie, since your hubster just quit, you should pack the cat and dog and him and take a sabattical. Ashland proper has about 75 eating spots, so you wouldn't be bored. I've almost got kristi S. convinced to get a summer home here.(when she wins the lottery)
http://www.ashlandchamber.com

PS: where did your parents come from in Missouri? My grandmother's recipes all have a distinctly southern flavor. (I'm from KC) and Mr. Bushie is a born, but only partly bred, Missourian. Darn fool moved to TEXAS!
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 15:55:31 (permalink)
Bill, That sounds...well, that sounds wonderful. I'll be googling Ashland, I assure you.

My mom was born in St. Joe. They moved around alot... St. Louis, Wentzville, a farm in Troy.
My dad was born in Monett. They moved around alot also from Monett to Texas to Florida and then wound up back in Monett. My grandfathers moved often because one was a salesman and the other a dreamer and an artist. (He like to raise animals and citrus. He loved Belgian draft horses and believed that the tractor was just a fad and would soon be discarded. He was all set to make a killing with the Belgian. Oh, well. That's why they ended up back home in Monett. Later when he retired he moved to Rattlesnake, FL where he pursued painting and started wearing a beret. Now, the family I have left in Missouri live in Wentzville, Springfield, Columbia and St.Louis. They used to tease me and call me a hillbilly and... did we wear shoes in Tennessee?
I love em alot.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/27 16:46:34 (permalink)
St. Joe! Cherry Mash City! My sister, who also lives out here rhapsodizes about once a month how this would be a perfect place if we could get Cherry Mash and Valomilks, while ignoring our regional prize Idaho Spud Bars, + all the Annebelle's & See's candies from SF. The most endearing quality of the theatre scene in S.O. is it's "Andy & Judy" put on a play quality, despite drawing 500,000+ a year to watch plays. We used to live next to one of the company actors, (from Texas, by the way; why I thought of you), who worked here, left to pursue fame and fortune, and returned for the oppourtunity to be part of a company and live in a spectacular enviornment. They hire a bunch of new people every year, so don't hesitate to contact them+most of the other companies in town are equity also.
http://www.ashlandindex.com/index/food-resturants.html

Bill B. and Zattar are also KC ( Mo.side) natives, but I don't know whether they share similar southern cooking roots. They both like BBQ, though! The funny thing is, we always describe Oregon as -"Missouri mixed with California", so you'd feel right at home.
Bill
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/28 02:39:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
IATSE, huh? I used to work on a permit in New Haven at the Shubert, and sometimes for ice shows at the Arena.

Yup, Local 26, West Michigan. I must say, it's VERY cool to have someone not only know what a stagehand is, but know the International. I know several people who have played New Haven, but I've never been there myself.

How funny, I too worked on permit many times in Fresno setting up and tearing down various shows at the convention center there. It was a blast to see the show go together and then tear it all apart.
"When the money is gone, so are we."
dhdav66
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/28 17:18:20 (permalink)
Greetings all!

I'm a fellow foodie or roadie or road foodie who has just joined . . . Dad was Navy, so there was a little moving around when I was a small fry, then the folks settled in Norfolk, VA. Both parents are from the deep south (Mom from Atlanta and Dad from Arkansas), so it just seemed natural for me to head to Atlanta after university. My folks exposed me to some great home cooking (greens, beans with fatback, cornbread, grits) and LOTS of road trips (three weeks every summer) down south. After 10 years of soaking up that deep southern culture, I took a new job and headed north of the Mason/Dixon line to Boston. I've been up here 5 years now and am lovin' every minute of it. I'm being exposed to a very different style of regional cooking and food, as well as a diversity of ethnic foods that I never thought I would have the opportunity to taste (Tibetan, Afghani).

I owe my love of "road food" to my parents, who avoided the interstate and fast food in our travels and introduced my siblings and me to old non-chain motels (e.g., the Peachtree Inn), diners, and truck stops along state highways.

I love to cook. I have a huge cookbook collection and have even taken courses from a local culinary school. But I love to eat even more, especially in local diners or truck stops. I haven't had a chance yet to explore the entire site, but I can't wait to read the reviews and even add some of my own.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/28 17:45:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Farfromhome

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this forum and mostly lurk but I really do enjoy reading everyones posts. I am originally from the south having spent the majority of my life in the Galveston-Houston, Texas area but a couple of years ago my family moved to Santa Clarita, California because of a job offer my husband recieved. I found this forum by doing a web search for a tex-mex recipe :)

I have 3 daughters, and we love to cook as well as try new places as well as foods. My husband travels extensively on his job, and he particularly enjoys the restaurant reviews!

How's the breakfasts at the Saugus Cafe these days?
django5722
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/29 12:32:26 (permalink)
Greetings from south Texas. I live in the greater San Antonio area
and have been using Road Food when I travel for years. I've also read the forum, but just got around to registering myself.
Finding unique local cuisines and mom'n'pop restaurants is one of the joys of travelling!
If anyone plans to visit the San Antonio area, let me know and I'd be happy to give you some tips about where the locals eat and what overrated places to avoid.
I'll be travelling to California next month and will be in the Ventura/Ojai area and in the Palm Springs area, and also the so-called "inland empire", so any recommendations are welcome (I did
do a search of old references to these areas via the forum search engine).
If you happen to be in the northeast section of San Antonio,
I would recommend Louie LeDeaux Cajun Seafood in the Forum
(near junction of 35 and 1604), or for Thai, try the Thai Cafe on Nacogdoches or the Bangkok Cuisine on Pat Booker Rd.
When in the city itself, the tacos are fantastic at Cristan's on San Pedro, just south of San Antonio College and just north of I-35.
The chilaquiles tacos (they serve both chilaquiles and migas tacos--the chilaquiles ones have more peppers in them) and chicharron tacos are my favorites, and their green salsa will make your eyes water.
They also serve slow-cooked lengua tacos, with onion, that the lengua fan will like (I do, but the rest of my family doesn't want to watch me eating them!). Cristan's even has a convenient drive-thru! There are small mom'n'pop Mexican restaurants on almost every corner in San Antonio, so those with the money or the time could take a "Mexican food trip" to San Antonio and eat three meals a day for a month without repeating any restaurant...

Bill S.

ps, where are those Krystals in Austin going to be????
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/30 00:13:14 (permalink)
To EdSails:

It was actually pretty good! We were pretty leary of trying it as the area looks like it has seen better days but the food was actually very good and the other patrons on hearing our accents gave us the complete history of the Saugus Cafe.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/09/30 19:06:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Dearfolk,
YUM!
Crunchingly Lunchingly, Ort. Carlton in Acorn-Laden Athens, Georgia.
P. S. My mother always taught me to tuck my tail to the side while eating. It's a habit I've carried with me ever since.
P. P. S. No wonder I love Nutella (R) so much.
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 00:13:51 (permalink)
Hey ya'll!
I've been hanging around here a little bit since I started looking for places to eat while on vacation to Alaska (where I got to meet their Unofficial Ambassador, Roadfood Division, lleechef). I'm usually around in the middle of the night EST because of my working hours, I'm from the sort-of vicinity of OrtCarltonland,and I love eatin' an' cookin, with strong opinions on both. I didn't see this section of the forums before today, but now that I do...
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 06:02:31 (permalink)
I can attest to the fact that queenb is definately a good egg!! However, those three rascals nibbling on the hazelnut pizza.....I dunno. Be vewry, vewry carewful.
Charlie1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 06:17:12 (permalink)
Howdy - I am Charlotte. I am from Lubbock, TX and live in Austin now. My friend Holly introduced me to this site..and LAW! I am grateful.
Spent a lot of time in living in other places and working in the food and berverage industry. Miss the fantastic stuff in NorCal. But Austin is slowly catching up foodwise.
Aleswench, you look like my kind of Go Out For Dinner With person. Look us up when you're in town!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 08:54:51 (permalink)
Charlie
Welcome to the boards...and welcome to your friend Holly also. We shared notes last nite and she seems to be a really great friend to have !
Ask most any questions you may have, even the 3 Stooges are known to give good 'Foodie' replies when they focus on food topics. (Well one of them stays on topic almost all of the time, but VE VATCH DA ODDER TWO WERRY CLOSELY!!)
i95
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 09:29:46 (permalink)
Thanks for singling me out, Mr. Mayor, as the "one" whom religiously stays on topic. Now, about those lutefisk pancakes...
downtown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 09:51:13 (permalink)
HEY CHARLIE!!!! I told Al I was trying to get you over here. this forum is huge, it's gonna take me months to catch up on things here. but I sure am meeting lots of nice folk along the way.
Charlie1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 16:05:00 (permalink)
Thank you, Al - I am enjoying myself hugely. As Holly will tell you, I care not a pfennig for staying on topic - but I'll do my best for you.
Howdy, DT! I have spent an hour reading through and I am hungry.
But what do I want? Posole? Enchiladas? I almost stopped at Jorge's for some tacos while I was out earlier, but passed them by and now , after reading these boards, I am starving.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1