NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 16, messages 481 to 540 of 945
craven.sean
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 06/12/07 4:34 PM
Oh, yeah -- I found out about this site when I looked up the Sterns. As much as I enjoy their food writing, it's their Encyclopedias of Bad Taste and Pop Culture that really do it for me. My copies of both have those C-shaped spines books get when they've been read over and over...

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 06/18/07 7:28 PM
Hello to all the lurkers and newbies and oldtimers that decided to come out.....
Welcome, and dont be shy!
Tara

cd348
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 06/26/07 8:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was born in Louisville Ky and spent 22 years in the Air Force. Now live in Tampa Fl, where I can BBQ all that I want, year round. As a devout foodie, I love Roadfood.com. I really like reading the posts and looking at the great pictures.

roossy90
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 07/18/07 9:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by craven.sean

Hey, all!

I'm a wannabe writer/artist (I've had enough success so that it doesn't seem like a fantasy, but not enough to make it seem like a living -- if you want a taste of my older work, just Google Sean Craven and you'll probably find something.)

Is this you?..

http://www.mondaynightlit.com/montana.html
Welcome to RF....

dg419
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 07/19/07 4:40 PM
Hello everybody nice to meet you!
I'm from central Nebraska and have lived here for over 30 years total. Don't know what else to say just yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with plenty soon!

Astennu
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 07/31/07 11:25 AM
Greetings,

Just thought I should introduce myself. I have lurked around the forum for a long while, and I have only recently started posting.

I'm from central Illinois, and have worked mostly in fast food places and only a couple of restaurants. (I was an assistant manager at a chain restaurant, don't care to mention which one right now.) Right now I'm taking a break from the restaurant biz, working as a residential assistant for the developmentally disabled.

I love food, and like to check out various restaurants. Having worked in various places, and been a manager, I tend to be a little hard to please. After having managed a restaurant I tend to look at the little things, like how the staff interact (with each other, management, and the customers), as well as all the other little things. I just tend to be a little over critical anymore.

Anyway, hello all and glad to be here.

Astennu

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15057
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 07/31/07 1:18 PM

Welcome to Roadfood, Astennu. You might contact Mr Chips who is a regular in this group. He is employed in the same line of work that you are currently doing. I am sure you can share some experiences with him.
Meantime we're glad to meet you.
AL

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 07/31/07 1:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dg419

Hello everybody nice to meet you!
I'm from central Nebraska and have lived here for over 30 years total. Don't know what else to say just yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with plenty soon!

Ever been in Legal Lady's courtroom?

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 08/2/07 2:44 AM
Hi, I'm Pat.
I'm 54, a second generation italian male from Rome N.Y. I Live in Mansfield Tx, part of the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex. I retired 9 years ago from Central New York Psychiatric Center, a forensic psych hospital for mentally ill state prisoners. When New York's prisons couldn't handle them, they sent them to us. Both "Son of Sam" and the guy that killed John Lennon passed thru our doors. By law, I can't use their names. My wife still works, so I do all the cooking. My favorite restaurants are pizzarias, steakhouses and diners. Western omelets for breakfast, a covered hot beef sandwich with extra gravy for lunch. I'm into music "neil young, grateful dead etc," concerts, old 30's-40's movies, and drive-in theaters.

Astennu
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 08/3/07 10:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Welcome to Roadfood, Astennu. You might contact Mr Chips who is a regular in this group. He is employed in the same line of work that you are currently doing. I am sure you can share some experiences with him.
Meantime we're glad to meet you.
AL

Thank you for the welcome.

Ivyhouse
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 08/3/07 4:41 PM
Hello all!

I have been enjoying this site for a couple of years now and took the plunge a little while ago -- joined and started posting. A now-retired co-worker introduced me to the site and books -- he is a true Roadfood aficionado and I can understand why.

I am originally from Long Island, have lived in Omaha and Dallas and am now in the metro-DC area. I have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit in my career and was enjoying road food before it was Roadfood! E.g., in 1992 a friend and I were driving from Dallas to DC and I made him stop at the Loveless Cafe. Well, he is from Connecticut and I am from LI -- up until that point in our lives neither one of us had a great deal of experience with Loveless Cafe-type food. We got breakfast, which included a small bowl of dark liquid. He and I looked at it and at each other, and finally had to ask the waitress what it was. Of course, it was red-eye gravy. We left the red-eye gravy untouched, but the rest of my breakfast was great.

Anyhow, I enjoy reading the trip reports and reviews, and have gotten some great tips for restaurants and recipes. I hope to start contributing my own reports soon -- my picture-taking needs some practice, but I am working on it.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 08/3/07 5:17 PM
Welcome all you newcomers! Im an oldtimer like Roossy was talkin about. Hmm, does oldtimer mean I'm old? Oh well, I'm kinda old. I have been MIA for a while but I am back for a while. Anyway, nice to see some new faces here! The greatness of this site, the things to be learned, and tha many nice folks here, never ceases to amaze me.
Joe

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 08/4/07 1:05 AM
hi im ron i was born in hanover pa and moved to mummasburg pa (5 miles west of gettysburg pa)started working in restaurants when i was 13 called the gettysburg address on s 94 as a dishwasher one day the chef was doing a flambe i was like that's cool he showed me how to do it and before long i was prepping and doing short order.....anyway.... i did all sorts of jobs during the day for quite awhile but still did the restaurant jobs at night then when i was 25 gave up the day job and started the work all the time restaurant......i met my current wife at a baycity in hanover in 98 just celebrated our 9th anniversry on march 20 .... and i have 5 children 4 to my x in france and 1 to my soul mate....... i really enjoy this site...i stumbled accrossed it while looking for equipment for a project im working on Lunch truck something where i can bust my but and make money for me instead of someone else.
thanks
ron

BioBailey
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 08/7/07 4:14 PM
I am a school teacher who was a health inspector for several years. I live in Central Arkansas and do a little traveling to Mississippi and around the region. I love to eat out with my wife and two kids( 17 & 11)
We are into spicy foods and southern cooking

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 08/7/07 4:41 PM
Welcome to you all!

Ron, I kind of got a chuckle about your comment regarding your 'current wife'. Does this mean plans for future others are in the works?

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 08/7/07 9:32 PM
NO NO NO
no more kids and this will be my last marriage....if something should come between her and i. thats all for me i be a loaner....i think we'll just grow old together. we worked together and were best friends that fell in love.
now ya got me all teary eyed. lol
ron

BigDave67
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 08/8/07 11:14 AM
I'm BigDave67 and I live in Dalton,Georgia! I'm a regular reader of the Roadfood.com website(Have read it for Years).

Vintage Roadside
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 08/10/07 4:18 PM
Hello All,

Newly signed up but have been reading the forums for ahile now.

I'm in Portland, Oregon but spend quite a bit of time on the road. Always looking for a great drive in. Anyplace that serves tater tots gets an extra star in my book!

Looking forward to contributing.

patmac
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 08/10/07 10:00 PM
I am Patrick. I am in Atlanta. I have lurked for a time.
I have been a roadfoodie since high school (in the late 60's) when I cooked at a A&W Root Beer stand in a small town in Kansas.
My long love affair with the hamburger began there, standing in front of a shiny grill, spatula in hand, flipping burgers, at the same time manning the fry stations.
Besides the burgers, I remember the onion rings there. Onion rings were a work of love of the lady who owned the placed. She hated the smell on her dainty fingers but that did not stop her from breading up a couple of big tubs a day. The love for the food she served was evident. I learned a lot about turning out a quality product that the customer will clamor for.
When I went off to college I worked at a McDonald's for a while. It was a shock. Applying condiments which came out of plastic tubes that you put in a caulking gun. Shudder.
That's enough for now.

kitchensqueen
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 08/19/07 11:21 PM
Greetings. I stumbled across this site by accident, and I'm glad I did. I'm 24 and live with my husband in Chicago. I like to cook, garden, craft, read, and most importantly, take road trips! Mu husband and I did a two week Route 66 road trip from Chicago to LA 2 years ago on our honeymoon. We love to travel the old byways by car, and delve into Americana whenever we can. We hate the big chain places; Mom & Pop stops all the way! Looking forward to digging into the forums (wow, there's a lot here too) and getting to know everyone. :-)

mlinkinhoker
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 08/25/07 12:01 AM
mbrooks - sorry to just now be catching your reply to my post. Don't get back much but wonder what places you go these days. Angelo's was THE BEST so it is sad for me not to be able to go there. Mr. Angelo teamed up with others on another venture out on Hwy 80 but it's no longer there either. At least the Elite is still there. My daughter was down there back in June and my aunt took her there. They fixed me a plate to go and brought it to me the next day. I ate one plate and froze the other and pulled it out last week - was still GREAT! Mom and dad are coming up in a few week so I told them to go see the Zouboukas and have them fix me some specifically to freeze and travel!

Bill's Burger House was next to my dad's bike shop on McWillie and had awesome burgers, onion rings, and steak sandwiches. And oh, does anyone remember steak finger dinners?

Then there was Primo's Northgate, Pasquales Pizza with the adjoining Mexican restaurant that I can't recall the name of right now - but they were in the strip center on N. State Street across from the 'new' Primo's Northgate Convention Center.

So many memories - I know some are still around like the Gyro place down near Millsaps/Belhaven. Is Davey Jones' Locker still around? Or The Recovery Room Lounge on the split there near the University Med Center? My grandmother was a nurse there and lived up on Mitchell. So we would walk by there going to and from the hospital and I always thought it was the recovery room for the hospital as a child.

Crechales - I mean a real dive but great seafood. Went to school with one of the sons - he was always into trouble.

I lived in Scrooges - the old one on the hill above Highland Village. Old Tyme Deli & Commissary - great bakery. Swennson's - loved not only the ice cream but they made a fantastic fruit salad with poppy seed dressing and that location outlasted all the other franchises. The new one up in Madison isn't the same.

Then there was The Dock which another guy I went to school with bought out after we all grew up and he turned it into a real destination but I think it closed a few years ago.

A former boyfriend opened a place up across the dam - JT's or maybe it's not named after him, can't remember what mom told me it's called.

What part of town do you live in? and yes, I know it has changed and not for the better from all I hear. Don't get back there much but was just thinking about it today - would love to come and have about a week to visit and drive around.

Cheftaz1978
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 08/27/07 9:10 PM
Hi everyone. I am excited about getting to know what this site is all about. I was in the restaurant industry for 10 years and enjoyed it immensely. Although I am not doing that at this time I still have my passions and hope to have fun posting to the different topics.

yours truly,
Cheftaz1978

bosco lover
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 09/5/07 1:44 PM
hi everyone
i've been lurking for about 2 or 3 years now, and have gotten some great tips. i'm a florida native, grew up in gainesville (the skeeter's era) but now live in st augustine beach. married, no kids, 1 dog, 2 cats (one evil, one good)
we do a fair amount of travelling. we drive to masachussetts every summer to visit my relatives (and eat clams)and go to columbus, ohio twice a year to see husbands family. always stop at the varsity on the way. i always look at roadfood to research where we should stop and eat. stopped at super duper weenie in CT this summer and was kind of disappointed, however, ive gotten a lot of tips we tried in the keys that were awesome. i figure it never hurts to try a place, it's still going to be better than Mcdonald's.
anyway, glad to be here

KatAustin
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 09/7/07 2:47 PM
Hi,
I am Kat Austin.Born in Eloise, MI. Lived for 30 years in Tampa Bay Area of FL. A year in Tucson and going on my 4th year in Indnana. HAve visited many stated in between. Never Been married so no kids, but two dogs.

I know a little about food. Mom owned her own cake shop bake in the 1980s. We only did cakes, for some of our clients we did do Christmas cookie trees and pumpkin pies. At 17 years old I was assistant store manger.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 09/7/07 3:44 PM
Welcome Kat!

What kinda dogs? Us Roadfooders wana know everything. There are some neat dog threads here somewhere in tha msc section.

When I want to know anything about hmmm, almost anything, Roadfood is where I come. Lotsa smart folks here! I have read a few of your posts already and you sound smart also.
Joe

KatAustin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 09/8/07 8:51 PM
Ruby is a Japanese Chin, think Peg from Lady and the Tramp. Sky is my big Red Nova Scotia Duck Trolling Retriever. And Nyee was my dads dog, the I inherited Nyee, Black and Tan Pomeranian. Dad said the Nyee is Navajo for great spirit.

I work for one of the Home Improvement companies. Lot less stress the what my career is Accounting. Yes, the pay is lower, but less stress and I have fun.

I am also a huge fan of the band The Eagles!!

zachindiana
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 09/15/07 3:11 PM
I am new to the forums, hailing from New York. I work with a site called <link removed> , I am thinking that we should start a section on food deals!

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 09/16/07 9:27 AM
Hello Zach, and welcome; that sounds like a great thread. 'Food related' maybe?

roossy90
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sat, 09/22/07 1:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KatAustin

Ruby is a Japanese Chin, think Peg from Lady and the Tramp. Sky is my big Red Nova Scotia Duck Trolling Retriever. And Nyee was my dads dog, the I inherited Nyee, Black and Tan Pomeranian. Dad said the Nyee is Navajo for great spirit.

I work for one of the Home Improvement companies. Lot less stress the what my career is Accounting. Yes, the pay is lower, but less stress and I have fun.

I am also a huge fan of the band The Eagles!!

Would love to see photos.. We seem to be a big animal lover group here, and have several threads where we have posted photos of our " furry families"

kimkelly
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/9/07 1:28 AM
Hi! I am a 36 year old from Los Angeles, CA. I've only been lurking here for about a week before deciding to join in. You all seem like a friendly and fun community, and I look forward to reading and posting. :)

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/9/07 1:35 PM
mlenkinhoker, I just saw your reply. Here's a quick catch-up on some of the places you mentioned.

Elite is still going strong, as is the Mayflower down town.

Primo's and Pasquale's on State are gone. Primo's is on Lakeland and another on Lake Harbor. Pasquale's is no where to be found (how sad. I loved it)

The Gyro place near Belhaven/Millsaps is Keifers. Ate there the other day. I don't think it has changed a bit. I live in Belhaven, so it is a neighborhood eatery for me.

Recovery Room is now a Lenny's Subs. Speaking of old dives, do you remember the Dutch Bar? Don't have to admit that you do! We all slipped by there once in a while. Well, it's gone, too.

Crechele's is better than ever. Scrooges has moved north on Ridgewood and Old Tyme Deli is a yuppie restaurant called Juleps.

Holler if you get back down.

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 10/10/07 5:29 PM
Welcome Kim! Don't be shy!

dth1971
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 10/12/07 6:16 PM
I am from Illinois. I work part time 3 days a week. And I just started to post on the forums.

There hasn't been a post yet on Chuck E. Cheese's, but I posted about the beginnings of it on the forum for Roadfood.com

Fannie
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 10/14/07 2:26 PM
Hey y'all!

I'm Stephanie, I'm from North Florida. I've been looking around here for a few days and I am absolutely loving this place! Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 10/14/07 3:58 PM
Welcome to both of you. You'll find we're kindest after we've been fed. :)

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 10/17/07 4:03 PM
I found this site several months ago and really like it. I live in the Mississippi Delta and although I love southern cooking, I'm always looking for new and diverse recipes and cooking methods. I also find it interesting to read what others have to say about the restaurants I've visited.

Glad to be here.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/18/07 8:01 AM
Hi all, welcome. Stephanie, a little west and you would be in Georgia. Doesn't the Florida BBQ Association sponser a contest in Callahan?

mbrookes
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/18/07 2:14 PM
Baileysoriginal, Friars Point... the first teaching job I ever had was there... I was living in Jonestown at the time!

You have some good food up there. I'm thinking of Kathryn's and Uncle Henry's.

How long have you been there? Do you remember Conway's?

doherty
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/18/07 3:51 PM
Hi everybody,I'm Marlene from the UK.I'm really enjoying reading everybodys' posts,and just love RF,even though some foods are completely unknown to me.I`ve visited various parts of the US,and am looking forward to spending a few days in Las Vegas at the end of November.I'm certainly looking forward to those wonderful buffets.Best regards to you all.

baileysoriginal
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/18/07 11:04 PM
Although I don't actually live at Friars Point, (I work there), I am familiar with Kathryn's and Uncle Henry's on Moon Lake. I don't know about Conway's - please fill me in ---

roossy90
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 10/21/07 6:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nancypalooza

Welcome to both of you. You'll find we're kindest after we've been fed. :)

Aint that the truth!

bosco lover
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 10/22/07 5:21 PM
eek! is that your cat?

rhoges6
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 10/22/07 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by doherty

Hi everybody,I'm Marlene from the UK.I'm really enjoying reading everybodys' posts,and just love RF,even though some foods are completely unknown to me.I`ve visited various parts of the US,and am looking forward to spending a few days in Las Vegas at the end of November.I'm certainly looking forward to those wonderful buffets.Best regards to you all.

Hi Marlene. If you don't mind my asking, where in the UK do you live? The reason I ask is because I have relatives who live in Scotland. I'm pretty sure they live in Kirkcaldy or just around that area. I also have always wanted to travel to the UK (huge football fan) and now that I am in college I am looking at doing a semester abroad in the UK!

doherty
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/23/07 10:07 AM
I live in West Yorkshire,which is about a 2 hour drive from the Scottish border.Can`t say that I have visited Kirkcaldy,but it`s not that far from Edinburgh,and I have travelled in that area.Scotland is a beautiful country,and has stunning scenery.Unfortunately a lot of tourists never make it out of London,which is a shame,as the UK is very diverse in lots of ways,and our capital city isn`t typical of the whole country.Good luck with your studies,and thanks for the reply.Marlene.

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/25/07 9:12 AM
We went to London last May followed by a drive through the southern coastal towns of Wales, but the next time we go back our 'country' leg is going to be taking the night train to Edinburgh and doing Scotland. We can't wait. Welcome y'all!

doherty
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 10/25/07 2:00 PM
Thank you Nancy,it`s always nice to feel welcome.Glad to hear that you saw more than London.Having had a Welsh father I`m rather biased about Wales,it`s beautiful.If you are coming north don`t forget the Yorkshire dales and the Lake District,you certainly won`t be sorry.

Nancypalooza
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 10/26/07 10:59 PM
It was actually kinda hilarious, we stayed at a few farm-type B&Bs, and this one old coot proprietor asked us where we were going in Wales (we did Mumbles, Tenby, a couple other coastal towns and then came in to the Brecon Beacons with a trip to the national arboretum) and we asked what we should include, and he was all, you need to go back to England. What did he say, something about an Irishman being a Welshman who could swim. He was a nut. We didn't take his advice; we loved Wales. Definitely looking forward to going back to the UK.

I was cleaning out some stuff and found the address. It was Fferm Coedhirion in Llanddarog, Carmarthen, South Wales. The guy who runs it is a hilarious nut.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1054
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/30/07 11:22 AM
My name is Eric and I live in Georgetown Texas. I am a rabid BBQ'er and love all types of Q. Haven't had any bad yet, just some better than others. My job affords me the opportunity to travel to many places bothin the US and the UK. Ihave become an avid lover of the food in the UK. I spend most of my time in Cornwall in and around Plymouth and I dearly love the area and it's people. Can't get a good Cornish Pasty in Texas. My travels have taken me to Dunoon Scotland, Faslene, actually Helensbourough and it's all good.

doherty
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/30/07 12:22 PM
Hi Eric,it`s so nice to hear someone compliment food in the UK.We are used to it being made fun of particularly by people from a neighbouring country.We have lots of regional dishes,Cornish Pasties being one of them.Yorkshire`s most well known one is Yorkshire Pudding,and when we visited Salt Lake City it was on the menu in our hotel.So of course,out of curiosity we had to try it.Big mistake,it was uneatable.When the waitress came to clear the plates she told us that everybody leaves the YP,so we told her we were from Yorkshire,and would willingly give the chef a demonstration in the art of YP making.She went off to tell him,but he never appeared.Did you have the Tatties and Neeps when you were in Scotland?Very tasty.

brisketboy
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/30/07 2:44 PM
doherty:
I had the honor of being invited to the Senior Rates Mess at the Submarine Base in Faslane for Robbie Burns night. I must tell you my first encounter with the haggis was a bit overwhelming but not wanting to embarass the colonials I got it down. Turned out to be not bad at all.
Once spent three months in Basingstoke working in Camberly and the chef at the hotel was awesome. He introduced me to jellied eel and a variety of dishes. I have eaten everything from Bubble and Squeek to Steak and Kidney pie.and even haave a soft spot for mushie peas.
I was delighted to travel to St Augustine Fla recently and discovered the Prince of Wales Pub. The entire menu was British. I had a ploughmans and I swear it was authentic.

My one disappointment in the UK was a "mexican"place in Portsmouth on the Solent, but why am I surprised. Still I have had many great culinary experiences. I long for real pate, good smoked salmon lincolnshire sausages, black pudding and a good gammon steak.
C'ya

doherty
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Tue, 10/30/07 7:18 PM
Well Eric,you are making me salivate with talk about all that lovely food.However I will give the steak and kidney a miss,well the kidney anyway.AKA kate and sidney or snake and pygmy.Also will pass on jellied eels,it`s not the eels,but the jelly,YUK.A sort of variation of mushy peas is pease pudding which originates around Newcastle.It`s delicious spread in a ham sandwich.I cooked gammon with fried egg and new potatoes for my husband and sons` evening meal tonight,delicious!I`ve never been to a Burns` night,but have seen the food piped in on New Years`Eve.Now I`m off to raid the `fridge.

brisketboy
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 10/31/07 7:57 AM
To my good fortune, my parents emigrated from Bavaria when I was very young and we settled in a working class neighborhood on the north side of Chicago. We were surrounded by other etnic immigrants and being thus clustered, the children all went to one or two schools throughout their childhood years. Making freinds exposed us to other cultures and their foods. I fear nothing. I have eaten Italian, Jewish, Greek, Polish, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Lithuanian, Phillipino,Vietnamese and none of it is distasteful. Different and yet similar. I got to try some really good Tanduri in a litttle town in Middlesex called Ruislip. It's all good. My good fortune of spending time in the Navy has allowed me to go to some of these countries and actually taste the real origins. So, anyone who wants good BBQ come to Austin and I will escort you on what we call the BBQ Trail here in the Hill Country. I don't know if it's ethnic but it's Texan.

mbrookes
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 10/31/07 2:12 PM
Bailysoriginal, this sounds a bit dull after the reports from overseas, but Conways was an awful dive owned by Conway Twitty. Occasionally, he would show up and maybe even perform.

Mostly, it was a pretty rough night spot on Moon Lake. Fights were not unusual, but we all went there anyway. This was in late sixties/early seventies.

baileysoriginal
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 11/1/07 10:23 AM
Wasn't there also another dive on Moon Lake during that era that was called Oscar's, I think?
I've heard it was pretty tough, too, especially on Sundays when the crowds from Arkansas would cross the river to go there because you couldn't purchase liquor in Arkansas on Sunday.

mbrookes
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 11/1/07 1:53 PM
I don't tink I should admit to having ever been to Oscar's. The stories you heard are probably all true.

My husband (before I knew him) used to go there when he was living & working at Moon Lake.

The last time I was up that way, Moon Lake seeemed to be reviving. More houses, nicer week end places etc. I hope that continues.

roossy90
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Mon, 11/12/07 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bosco lover

eek! is that your cat?

HAHA No, not mine...... thats us Roadfoodies when hungry!

CookieMonster84
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Wed, 11/14/07 4:03 PM
Hi all! I am new here and I am located in Washington DC! I work at a marketing firm, but I love to cook and travel and EAT.

I am excited to meet all of you!

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Thu, 11/15/07 8:18 AM
Welcome CM

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Fri, 11/16/07 1:52 AM
Dearfolk,
I'm hardly new, but I'll do an intro anyway because I've been gone for awhile.
My poster name is Ort. Carlton, which is an abbr. of my really real name, William Orten Carlton. I live in charming Athens, Georgia, which has the worst timed traffic lights in the world.
In my offline moments, I buy and sell used books, necessitating trips to the Atlanta area and other wheres to do scouting and selling.
Right now I'm sitting here at the University Of Georgia Library (I refuse to keep an online computer at home: it's a distraction), where food is not allowed, eating my invisible Una Merkel Memorial Tangerine. (She was born in 1903 and died in 1986, by the way.)
My favorite food is livermush and my favorite beer is The Citizens' Preposterously Bitter Ale (which was a homebrew recipe; someday I intend to brew it again and enter it in a homebrew competition as an English Bitter).
I can walk almost exactly like a penguin upon demand. I can also do The Hop Wilson Memorial Walk, which is too elaborate to explain here. I can also imitate telephone ringing signals from such cities as Roanoke, Alabama.
Now I have to disappear from here and check my e-mail... 23 skiddoo, folksies.
Flapping Off Into The Distance Like Ignatius J. Reilly's Shower Shoes Did Against His Feet In The Novel "A Confederacy Of Dunces," Ort. Carlton in Unbucolic Athens, Georgia.

roossy90
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! - Sun, 11/18/07 4:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
I'm hardly new, but I'll do an intro anyway because I've been gone for awhile.
My poster name is Ort. Carlton, which is an abbr. of my really real name, William Orten Carlton. I live in charming Athens, Georgia, which has the worst timed traffic lights in the world.
In my offline moments, I buy and sell used books, necessitating trips to the Atlanta area and other wheres to do scouting and selling.
Right now I'm sitting here at the University Of Georgia Library (I refuse to keep an online computer at home: it's a distraction), where food is not allowed, eating my invisible Una Merkel Memorial Tangerine. (She was born in 1903 and died in 1986, by the way.)
My favorite food is livermush and my favorite beer is The Citizens' Preposterously Bitter Ale (which was a homebrew recipe; someday I intend to brew it again and enter it in a homebrew competition as an English Bitter).
I can walk almost exactly like a penguin upon demand. I can also do The Hop Wilson Memorial Walk, which is too elaborate to explain here. I can also imitate telephone ringing signals from such cities as Roanoke, Alabama.
Now I have to disappear from here and check my e-mail... 23 skiddoo, folksies.
Flapping Off Into The Distance Like Ignatius J. Reilly's Shower Shoes Did Against His Feet In The Novel "A Confederacy Of Dunces," Ort. Carlton in Unbucolic Athens, Georgia.

And this quaint gentle being loves to be pampered by Mamasbood, Uh, I meen Mamasbrood, oh ****...... I really mamasboy kitchen.
sheesh......
sorry ort ,,but the all kinda soundeed ripe up your alleay on the wa to Mamasboy 's.........
I will be in town the 17th or 18th and sataying "amongst" other dishes until the 20th...
sashaaywill be the wayy all the way from Lawrencville.
laters to have dinn dinn at Mamasboy.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 16, messages 481 to 540 of 945